A revealing incident involving Larry Hogan.

berg80

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2017
Just before the verdict in Donald Trump's hush-money trial came out, Larry Hogan released a statement defending the U.S. legal system and urging Americans to accept the result. Trump's campaign saw his plea — and did not like it.

Chris LaCivita, a senior adviser to the former president, tweeted at Hogan, a former two-term governor who is running for Senate: "You just ended your campaign."

Hogan, a prominent Trump critic, is running for an open Senate seat in the blue state of Maryland against Democrat Angela Alsobrooks. Though he has said he will caucus with the GOP, he has shifted to the center since winning the Republican nomination.

“Regardless of the result, I urge all Americans to respect the verdict and the legal process,” he posted on X, formerly Twitter. “… We must reaffirm what has made this nation great: the rule of law.”

Exactly what about that statement would cause a Trump advisor to imply Hogan's campaign for a Senate seat is over? I suggest there is nothing other than a lack of fealty to the toxic message coming from Trumpworld that the legal system is corrupt by definition if Trump is found guilty.

There are reasonable positions one could take in questioning the propriety of the trial. The relative novelty of the charges being one. But those observations are absent in the repetitive, dogmatic way Don's congressional defenders have lined up to parrot the party line. Relentlessly bashing the justice system. A system that afforded Don opportunities to defend himself every step of the way, including testifying in his own defense. Because as Larry Hogan has discovered, you jeopardize your political career in this POT if your total fidelity to him is seen as wanting.

That's because the GOP is more akin to a mafia family than a healthy political party.
Dan Cox, the Maryland Republican who beat Hogan’s handpicked successor in the 2022 primary race for governor, called on the state GOP to censure Hogan “for his despicable and disgusting announcement.”

There was nothing despicable about the statement.

The blind devotion to Trump has no parallel in American political history. Because we have never before flirted with fascism.

Just before the verdict in Donald Trump's hush-money trial came out, Larry Hogan released a statement defending the U.S. legal system and urging Americans to accept the result. Trump's campaign saw his plea — and did not like it.

Chris LaCivita, a senior adviser to the former president, tweeted at Hogan, a former two-term governor who is running for Senate: "You just ended your campaign."

Hogan, a prominent Trump critic, is running for an open Senate seat in the blue state of Maryland against Democrat Angela Alsobrooks. Though he has said he will caucus with the GOP, he has shifted to the center since winning the Republican nomination.

“Regardless of the result, I urge all Americans to respect the verdict and the legal process,” he posted on X, formerly Twitter. “… We must reaffirm what has made this nation great: the rule of law.”

Exactly what about that statement would cause a Trump advisor to imply Hogan's campaign for a Senate seat is over? I suggest there is nothing other than a lack of fealty to the toxic message coming from Trumpworld that the legal system is corrupt by definition if Trump is found guilty.

There are reasonable positions one could take in questioning the propriety of the trial. The relative novelty of the charges being one. But those observations are absent in the repetitive, dogmatic way Don's congressional defenders have lined up to parrot the party line. Relentlessly bashing the justice system. A system that afforded Don opportunities to defend himself every step of the way, including testifying in his own defense. Because as Larry Hogan has discovered, you jeopardize your political career in this POT if your total fidelity to him is seen as wanting.
we even let them call this a "hush money trial" when it was really fraud and racketeering. coverage of this trial and verdict has been pretty submissive to this con man.

Unless Mr. Hogan thinks there are enough Democrats in Maryland ready to switch over to his campaign, it is over after throwing all of the Little Trumpsters under the bus.

I know there aren't a lot of Trumpsters in Maryland, but I think that he would need them to stand a chance in November.

Maryland's next senator already has a double digit lead over Hogan, and has raised double the money. Further, since the opponent is a black chick, Hogan will be portrayed as a misogynist and a racist, and all of his rants against Trump aren't going to win Baltimore for him.

Just my humble opinion.

Why should people accept the verdict when our legal system allows a person the right to appeal? Do you think we should do away with this right?

Hogan just made himself more popular in Maryland. Remember, he won two terms as governor in a blue state.

Hogan just made himself more popular in Maryland. Remember, he won two terms as governor in a blue state.

Do you really think he stands a chance? Most of the people he is more popular with in Maryland are already committed to voting for the Democrat chick.

MAGA will not win a seat in MD
Hogan was elected twice in a Blue State

To win the Senate seat in MD, HOGAN will have to run as Moderate Right

Supporting our system of Justice is moderate

Do you really think he stands a chance? Most of the people he is more popular with in Maryland are already committed to voting for the Democrat chick.
Who knows? Who could have predicted he’d be governor in the first place? Being a Never Trumper has stood him well in the state. I wouldn’t count him out. A Trump non-endorsement may be the kick his campaign needs.

Are Republicans willing to support a candidate who votes Republican 80 percent of the time but doesn’t support Trumps actions to take the Senate?

Hogan would be like a Susan Collins or Lisa Murkowski

MAGA will not win a seat in MD
Hogan was elected twice in a Blue State

To win the Senate seat in MD, HOGAN will have to run as Moderate Right

Supporting our system of Justice is moderate
RIddle me this, RW.

If you were a Maryland voter, would you vote for him?

we even let them call this a "hush money trial" when it was really fraud and racketeering. coverage of this trial and verdict has been pretty submissive to this con man.
While many Trumper's took a healthy measure of glee in accusing Hillary of blowing the election by not spending time in battle ground states, I can't help wondering if along side Comey's astonishing break with FBI protocols so close to the election, a deciding factor may have been Trump's success in defrauding the voting public.

Are Republicans willing to support a candidate who votes Republican 80 percent of the time but doesn’t support Trumps actions to take the Senate?

Some might be.

But some wouldn't, figuring that if Hogan was elected, he'd just switch parties like Specter did, and he would not be a reliable vote for President Trump's choices next year (or a reliable vote against Sleepy Joe, if Biden were to win).

As far as investing in a race, the GOP campaign fund would be better off trying to flip West Virginia.

RIddle me this, RW.

If you were a Maryland voter, would you vote for him?

I do have a home in MD but it is not my primary residence.
I thought Hogan did a great job and would have voted for him over his Democratic challenger.

My primary residence is in NJ where I have voted for Republicans Chris Christie and Christine Whitman

Some might be.

But some wouldn't, figuring that if Hogan was elected, he'd just switch parties like Specter did, and he would not be a reliable vote for President Trump's choices next year (or a reliable vote against Sleepy Joe, if Biden were to win).

As far as investing in a race, the GOP campaign fund would be better off trying to flip West Virginia.
Are you disputing Chris LaCivita's tweet was in direct response to Logan saying the verdict needed to be respected?

Forum List

Back