Zone1 A Simple Experiment That Can Demonstrate WHY You Don't See Racism While Others Do

Like Michelle Obama said it was due to her race that a short person asked her to get something off a shelf in Target. She said it was a show of how much racism is around.

Exactly...and her wife barak said "you have no idea what it does to a young black mans phyche when he's walking down the street and hears car doors lock".

If a black man has developed a complex because he heard car doors lock...he had better seek professional help!

If you are inclined to see “racism” in all you see in this land, you will. That’s all the OP story means.

Stop diverting from the topic. This is not about black atrocities against whites. They don't happen all that often and whites do things to us in numerous ways.
Not according to violent crime stats. Look at big cities and see that the majority of violent crimes are not committed by whites.

If you have to heighten your sense of awareness to detect micro-aggressions everywhere, then maybe it isn't a big deal. Just like the girl with the blonde braids thing that blew up into a national scandal. Much ado about not much imo. The Systemic Racism I saw in Alabama in the early 60s was definitely a big deal. Thank goodness that's been gone for a couple of generations and Black citizens enjoy all the freedoms and rights to which they are entitled. You are clearly a beneficiary of those freedoms that your parents and grandparents may not have enjoyed.

I was disgusted in 1971 when I was walking down the sidewalk in a small Mississippi town, past a high school, and a small group of black students stepped off the sidewalk to let me pass. I stayed disgusted by that kind of thing until the 1990's, when I started seeing young black men playing the "knockout" game, every time choosing a white or Asian person to victimize.

Simple.

I was disgusted in 1971 when I was walking down the sidewalk in a small Mississippi town, past a high school, and a small group of black students stepped off the sidewalk to let me pass. I stayed disgusted by that kind of thing until the 1990's, when I started seeing young black men playing the "knockout" game, every time choosing a white or Asian person to victimize.

Simple.

Or an elderly Orthodox Jew.

No, that's not the same thing. We (Black people) often consider a whole checklist of things other than racism when acts are committed against us by a white person. Racism is at the bottom of the list, not the top.

Since you're a police officer I would hope that you can appreciate the following example. I was working at a local police station during my undergrad years. The job was posted as a "secretarial position" for their police detective (yes they only had one) and was actually a very interesting position but one in which I oftentimes felt tense because at least one of the officers was a flaming racist as was one of the dispatchers. I was the only Black person working there and in the end they arranged to get me out of my job so one of the dispatchers could have it. This situation and all of the instances in which I subjected to hearing them use the 'N' word was something that the EEOC could have easily found them in violation of the Civil Rights laws but I was young and though they were just all a bunch of ignorant hicks, excuse my language. I later discovered yeah that may have been the case that they were just ignorant but that they were also 'racist ignorant hicks'.

Anyway, I told my boss that I would be coming in a bit late to work the next day because I was going to stop and take a look at and possible put a payment on an apartment I had located which was closer to work. He knew I had been looking so he said okay. When I got to work the next day, he asked me what happened with the apartment and because he asked me outright instead of waiting for me to tell him about it I figured he must have been able to tell by the look on my face that something happened.

The something was apparently because I was Black, which the woman I met with couldn't tell over the phone. We looking for apartments we would generally lead with "Hi, I'm an Embry-Riddle student ... ) because the locals in Daytona initially loved Riddle students because they thought we all had rich parents. Anyway I had called and made an appointment the day before and I really wanted to see the apartment because it was on the intercoastal waterway not far from the marina, however when I arrived, the woman was looking at me through a crack in the door and stated that they didn't have any vacancies when I told her I was there to see the apartment. I reminded her that we spoke on the phone the previous day and told her what the newspaper ad said but she insisted that they didn't have any apartments for rent.

To put it mildly my feelings were hurt, because (I hadn't done anything wrong?!?) I was sure that she was lying and I "suspected" that she reacted to me the way she did because I am Black. I'm guessing that this is what my boss detected in my face when I arrived at work that day. So he asked me for the phone number in the ad and he called her up and said "My name is Detective, Sgt. blank blank, I work for the blank blank blank police department and I'm calling about the apartment you're running the ad for in the Daytona Beach News Journal. I'm looking to rent a place blah blah blah..." She gave him an appointment to come and see the unit.

I was standing there so I could hear everything they were saying so we did prove that she lied to me about there being no vacancies and I could have gone back and when she started up with her "we don't have any vacancies routine" I could have replied "no I know you do because my boss Detective Sgt. blank blank just talked to you on the phone and made an appointment to see the apartment but that appointment is with me, not him".

Being young and just remembering the coldness that exuded from from her and that place where she lived still causes a visceral reaction in me. It's kind of inexplicable unless the person you're relaying this to has also experienced it as well.

I ended up finding a better apartment, in the next complex over from River Run and had a good relationship with management who considered me a good tenant and they looked out for me to a certain extent.

I did not go looking for racism that day. I NEVER go looking for it, but racism being what it is, finds me and other Black people on a regular basis. It's not always someone calling us the N-work, it's sly remarks about everything from our appearance, us allegedly loving fried chicken (this via the Italian New York police officer who was making comments after having seen the Blues Brothers movie), making ignorant assumptions and remarks regarding our capabilities and intelligence, and doing whatever damage to our lives you can muster in whatever capacity you happen to occupy in society.

If I learned anything being a cop, it's that idiots, and victims or idiot behavior, are not relegated to a single race, creed, or ethnicity.

An argument could be made that African Americans are subject to more douchebaggery than other ethnicities. But, you might get strenuous debate from Jews, Asians, Hispanics, or Lithuanian Dwarves.

Morons comprise a small, but very irritating, segment of every group and we all have to make a choice to take their moronity to heart, or to walk past it like a turd on the sidewalk, making sure not to get any on our Jimmy Choos.

That choice is completely up to us.

Simple.

In four cases, the knock-out games resulted in the death of the victims. In one case, the murderers were a 13- and 14-year old boy.

A handful? Try 30-40% of all slave owners were black (according to census data and depending on the state).

But I see little to no racism against blacks today. I see lots of racism FROM blacks...even from blacks aimed at other blacks.

Who still uses the "N" word other than blacks? (but it's OK when THEY do it).

I see racism aimed at whites and yellows...but little to none aimed at blacks and reds.

They even need jusse smollett and others to make up faux racism because they can't find any real racism!
No, 30 or 40 percent of the slave owners weren't black. You don't see racism if its being done by the same race. The use of the N word is not all racism is. Man, you're really ignorant and that's why you can't intelligently discuss the topic.

Census data from that time shows that out of over 2 million slaves 3,776 blacks owned just over 12,000 slaves. That's less than 4 apeice. What is also shown by data compiled by the great Carter Woodson, a man you probably know nothing about is that the majority of the 3,776 blacks owned between 1-3 slaves and in those cases the freed blacks used the system to purchase a spouse, children, other relatives or sometimes a friend or 2. Out of those 3,776 blacks, just over 200 owned more than 10 slaves. That's less than 10 percent.

Your barking up the wrong tree here son, because you're dealing with people who have done the research, not some fool who read a post on some white supremacist website.

1696204373809.png

Last edited:
I said I see it. I see racism coming FROM blacks. I see wite racism being invented by jusse smollet and others (which is racist).

I see it aimed primarily at the poor chinks and elderly whites.

So if much or any existed against blacks...why wouldn't I see it.

I don't condone a cop kneeling on the neck of george floyd for 9 minutes...but autopsy reports PROVED that is NOT what killed him. He had lethal doses of drugs in his body and his heart gave out. Again...the cop had no business kneeling on floyds neck for that length of time. But to say that was "racism" is just flat out wrong.

And I still see "JUSTICE FOR FLOYD" signs in peoples yards. The cop got over 20 years...isn't that justice?

Nope...not until FREE MONEY is involved!
You don't see squat. Reparations is not free money.

Census data from that time sgows that out of over 2 million slaves 3,776 blacks owned just over 12,000 slaves. That's less than 4 apeice.

How many slaves does one have to own to be referred to as a slave-owner?

Is it more than four? Is there a magic cutoff where you're either a vile slave owner or just a guy abiding by historical cultural norms?

I'm not sure why, but this thread I posted a while back is continuing to get responses so it's prompted me to post something that my sister explained to me last week.
Zone1 - 14 Small Ways You Can Fight Racism Every Day

Her explanation shone light on the topic of racism against Black people here in the U.S. that I and a handful of other Blacks here on the site comment about and the inability of many whites to understand or recognize it.

Let me start by saying sister is very smart and it's not easy for me to explain the hows and whys of what she does, but she's a board-certified educator who runs programs that educates and certifies students in certain areas. And she's one of a kind in her particular role but one of the things that they teach the students is how to recognize and combat bias, of all kinds, but of course racism is a part of it as well. So the following is one of the examples she used and I thought it was perfect.

She said to me "you know how when you decide to buy a new car, and you do your research, and you're narrowing down your options until you decide okay this is the car I want and then suddenly you start seeing that type of car that you selected EVERYWHERE you go?" "That particular car was always there, you just weren't paying any attention to it, it wasn't on your radar". But once you became interested in that particular model your subconscious, which picks up everything we perceive, started serving them up to you as an item of interest and suddenly (it appears) you began to notice them everywhere because they are now "on your radar" as you are now able to identify them whenever you encounter them. (this is probably what prompted the birth of the car clubs, but I digress..)

The light bulb came on and this explanation makes perfect sense. One of the things that struck me about some of the responses here on this board, particularly in response to the thread about the 16 year old who was sent home because her employer claimed the blond coloring that she had mixed in with her braids was "unnatural" and thus a violation of the company's dress, was the accusation that we (the Black members here) have to scour the internet looking for news stories of racism to post about. When the reality is that there are instances of racism all around us everyday. WE recognize them because we are familiar with how they manifest, while I would imagine that just like the example car that you have no interest in that passes you every time you go out, yet you never see it. And you never see not because the vehicle is not there, but because it's something that's simply not on your radar therefore many of you have the luxury of never seeing let alone acknowledging the racism that still exists in our country unless it's the blatant, in your face type, that you see on the news.
I'm a little surprised that you use that example.

You research over one particular brand of car and you're thinking about even when you're not researching it, and it is in the back of your mind even when you're doing something not related to buying your car, then of course you will notice all of that type car and it will seem as if that car is almost everywhere you look.

Yes, seeing racism around every corner will happen to people who constantly seek it out due to obsessively reading about, watching shows/Youtubes about it, and thinking about it. That doesn't mean that everyone is racist, any more than the car example means that every car is a Honda Civic all of a sudden.

Why not take a week off from hating, and spend that week researching examples of whites helping and showing kindness to people of color? Trump got an award from the NAACP for doing just that, and there are many others not so famous, but just as kind.

Why not start a thread for white people to give examples of their kindness to people of color? Sadly from about half of them, their "kindness" will consist of voting for welfare increases and voting against Trump - an NCAAP Award winner. But many of do have stories to tell, of either kindness to people of color as such, or kindness to people who just happened to be people of color. Maybe such a thread would brighten your outlook?

I said I see it. I see racism coming FROM blacks. I see wite racism being invented by jusse smollet and others (which is racist).

I see it aimed primarily at the poor chinks and elderly whites.

So if much or any existed against blacks...why wouldn't I see it.

I don't condone a cop kneeling on the neck of george floyd for 9 minutes...but autopsy reports PROVED that is NOT what killed him. He had lethal doses of drugs in his body and his heart gave out. Again...the cop had no business kneeling on Floyds neck for that length of time. But to say that was "racism" is just flat out wrong.

And I still see "JUSTICE FOR FLOYD" signs in peoples yards. The cop got over 20 years...isn't that justice?

Nope...not until FREE MONEY is involved!
When people make the decision to violate the law, they usually do so with the expectation of certain punishments if they get caught. For example, if I decide I'm going to utilize the express lane/high occupancy vehicle lane because I'm running late to work and need to get there in a hurry and traffic on the freeway is jammed, if I get caught i expect to get a ticket. Not yanked out the vehicle roughed up and or shot/killed. Same for shoplifting, or passing a bad check/or bill.

Losing one's life over allegedly passing a counterfeit bill from one perspective is just the risk you take when violating the law but in Floyd's case it went to the extreme. People get high, that is nothing new, but the penalty for being high in public or passing a counterfeit bill is not supposed to be death but Chauvin made it so.

20 years is a long time sure, but some people think he should get the same thing he sentenced Floyd to is death. I understand about the death penalty being abolished in many states but I also understand that Chauvin getting 20 years for the unlawful death of a human being doesn't feel like justice.

On the other hand, I think Chauvin is the first police officer to be convicted of killing a Black man which is progress, but look how long it's taken in context of the 247 years since the United States was founded. Floyd was killed in 2020 so that's 244 years out of 247 that it took before a white police officer was found to have murdered a Black man and was convicted & sentenced for it.

You research over one particular brand of car and you're thinking about even when you're not researching it, and it is in the back of your mind even when you're doing something not related to buying your car, then of course you will notice all of that type car and it will seem as if that car is almost everywhere you look.

Yes, seeing racism around every corner will happen to people who constantly seek it out due to obsessively reading about, watching shows/Youtubes about it, and thinking about it. That doesn't mean that everyone is racist, any more than the car example means that every car is a Honda Civic all of a sudden.

Why not take a week off from hating, and spend that week researching examples of whites helping and showing kindness to people of color? Trump got an award from the NAACP for doing just that, and there are many others not so famous, but just as kind.

Why not start a thread for white people to give examples of their kindness to people of color? Sadly from about half of them, their "kindness" will consist of voting for welfare increases and voting against Trump - an NCAAP Award winner. But many of do have stories to tell, of either kindness to people of color as such, or kindness to people who just happened to be people of color. Maybe such a thread would brighten your outlook?
That’s actually a great idea. When people are mired in resentment and focusing on all the negatives, a good thing that helps is for them to write down five things every evening for which they are grateful.

For therapeutic purposes, perhaps Newsvine and IM2 can reflect on positive encounters they’ve had with whites tomorrow, and write them down. Then they can share them with us on Tuesday.

Again, good idea.

No, 30 or 40 perceent of the slave owners weren't black. You don't see racism if its being done by the same race. The use of the N word is not all racism is. Man, you're really ignorant and that's why you can't intelligently discuss the topic.

Census data from that time sgows that out of over 2 million slaves 3,776 blacks owned just over 12,000 slaves. That's less than 4 apeice. What is also shown by date compiled by the great Carter Woodson, a man you probably know nothing about is that the majority of the 3,776 blacks owned between 1-3 slaves and in those cases the freed black used the system to purchase a spouse, children, other relatives or sometimes a friend or 2. Out of those 3,776 blacks, just over 200 owned more than 10 slaves. That's less than 1 percent.

Your barking up the wrong tree here son, because you're dealing with people who have done the research, not some fool who read a post on some white supremacist website.

View attachment 836958
As IM2 pointed out, purchasing slaves was often a mechanism used to rescue family members and/or other Blacks from chattel slavery which they certainly were not subjected to by the Black owners, who also didn't use them for 'breeding'.

IKR?

Also, why is it that the blacks on this Zone 1 thread feel so comfortable with such incendiary remarks? Is it because they know leniency will ve given to them?

Internet anonymity gives everyone licence to be a douchebag.

Frankly, I like my douchebags out, loud, and proud.

It lets me know where not to step.

I'm not sure why, but this thread I posted a while back is continuing to get responses so it's prompted me to post something that my sister explained to me last week.
Zone1 - 14 Small Ways You Can Fight Racism Every Day

Her explanation shone light on the topic of racism against Black people here in the U.S. that I and a handful of other Blacks here on the site comment about and the inability of many whites to understand or recognize it.

Let me start by saying sister is very smart and it's not easy for me to explain the hows and whys of what she does, but she's a board-certified educator who runs programs that educates and certifies students in certain areas. And she's one of a kind in her particular role but one of the things that they teach the students is how to recognize and combat bias, of all kinds, but of course racism is a part of it as well. So the following is one of the examples she used and I thought it was perfect.

She said to me "you know how when you decide to buy a new car, and you do your research, and you're narrowing down your options until you decide okay this is the car I want and then suddenly you start seeing that type of car that you selected EVERYWHERE you go?" "That particular car was always there, you just weren't paying any attention to it, it wasn't on your radar". But once you became interested in that particular model your subconscious, which picks up everything we perceive, started serving them up to you as an item of interest and suddenly (it appears) you began to notice them everywhere because they are now "on your radar" as you are now able to identify them whenever you encounter them. (this is probably what prompted the birth of the car clubs, but I digress..)

The light bulb came on and this explanation makes perfect sense. One of the things that struck me about some of the responses here on this board, particularly in response to the thread about the 16 year old who was sent home because her employer claimed the blond coloring that she had mixed in with her braids was "unnatural" and thus a violation of the company's dress, was the accusation that we (the Black members here) have to scour the internet looking for news stories of racism to post about. When the reality is that there are instances of racism all around us everyday. WE recognize them because we are familiar with how they manifest, while I would imagine that just like the example car that you have no interest in that passes you every time you go out, yet you never see it. And you never see not because the vehicle is not there, but because it's something that's simply not on your radar therefore many of you have the luxury of never seeing let alone acknowledging the racism that still exists in our country unless it's the blatant, in your face type, that you see on the news.
In reference to the company rule you mentioned above. Do black people naturally have blond streaks in their hair? If they don't have blond streaks in their hair would that not mean the hair style is unnatural and a violation of the rules. When you work for a company, they have a right to expect you, the employee, to meet their expectations; after all, it is their money that is at risk.

This is stupid. Nobody sees race around every corner. It's simply time this gaslightig stopped and whites on the right just admit that racism is still a problem.

In reference to the company rule you mentioned above. Do black people naturally have blond streaks in their hair? If they don't have blond streaks in their hair would that not mean the hair style is unnatural and a violation of the rules. When you work for a company, they have a right to expect you, the employee, to meet their expectations; after all, it is their money that is at risk.
It's irrelevant. Whites dye their hair and I'm sure there were white girls there with blond hair and brown roots.

Forum List

Back