ACA: Repeal and Delay?

I can't believe you guys keep making that silly claim

As if Republican refusal to vote for ANYTHING proposed by Obama has merit. Name a single thing that Republicans supported Obama on. You can't
Then you say....what they passed doesn't count because we didn't support it

Republicans voted 100% against a healthcare plan that contained the same provisions they had previously supported
Remember this gem... the shoe is on the other foot.:lmao:

I do remember that and agree with Pelosi

At the time that statement was made there were TWO healthcare bills. One in the House and one in the Senate. Pelosi was correct in not knowing what the final bill would look like until it had PASSED the reconciliation process

Excuses, the repeal of Obamacare is going to help people it is damaged greatly….Fact

How does dumping people from their health insurance help them?

Why force people to health insurance? That they will never use and want nothing to do with...

I never used it either. Went 30 years without seeing a doctor
Woke up one morning and I was blind in my left eye. Health Insurance sure came in handy

Remember this gem... the shoe is on the other foot.:lmao:

At the time that statement was made there were TWO healthcare bills. One in the House and one in the Senate. Pelosi was correct in not knowing what the final bill would look like until it had PASSED the reconciliation process

Excuses, the repeal of Obamacare is going to help people it is damaged greatly….Fact

Why force people to health insurance? That they will never use and want nothing to do with...

Woke up one morning and I was blind in my left eye. Health Insurance sure came in handy

Maybe for you, for millions though it's useless...

Not if you plan on living a long life

Having insurance has nothing to do with living a long life… Fact

Having insurance has nothing to do with living a long life… Fact

Dying has been found to greatly shorten your lifespan

OK.....Here is where Healthcare can go:

1. Republicans repeal Obamacare and quickly agree to a replacement that is cheaper than Obamacare and provides better coverage

2. Republicans defund and defer ending Obamacare programs until a replacement is agreed to. Republicans find that endless bickering within their own party and Democratic refusal to support a replacement make it impossible to find a suitable replacement

3. Republicans kill Obamacare and offer nothing in replacement. Millions are thrown out of the insurance market

1. Republicans repeal Obamacare and quickly agree to a replacement that is cheaper than Obamacare and provides better coverage

2. Republicans defund and defer ending Obamacare programs until a replacement is agreed to. Republicans find that endless bickering within their own party and Democratic refusal to support a replacement make it impossible to find a suitable replacement

3. Republicans kill Obamacare and offer nothing in replacement. Millions are thrown out of the insurance market

2 sounds best!

No preexisting conditions.
Anyone can join a group pool.
HSA reinstated.
Breakdown state border interference.
Make Medicaid easier.
Done.
How do you get insurance companies to cover pre-existing conditions without a mandate?

Simple question.....the answer is the deal breaker

2 sounds best!

2 is where we probably end up due to inept Republican interference

20 million dumped without insurance and bedlam in the healthcare market

2 sounds best!

I don't think it's likely. Trump is in favor of the dumbest provisions of ACA. The rest is just window dressing.

2 sounds best!

I don't think it's likely. Trump is in favor of the dumbest provisions of ACA. The rest is just window dressing.

Dumb provisions like requiring coverage of pre-existing conditions?
Like insurance pools?

Does not seem like a good idea....so they remove all the subsidies....what's going to happen to the people who depend on those to get insurance?

Not to mention - if they want to reinvent the wheel and replace it with a new plan, they don't have enough votes with out Democrats joining in.

Republicans Take The First Step To Repeal Obamacare
Republicans have to use a special legislative maneuver, called a budget resolution, to undo the ACA because they don't have enough votes to overcome a Democratic filibuster in the Senate. Budget bills aren't subject to filibuster, so lawmakers will be able to repeal the parts of the law that have budget and tax implications.

That means they can essentially gut the law, removing all the subsidies that help low- and middle-income people buy health insurance and getting rid of the smorgasbord of taxes — on medical devices, insurance companies and wealthy individuals — that pay for those subsidies

Enzi's resolution calls on the Senate to get a bill to the Senate Budget Committee by Jan. 27.

Republican lawmakers say they don't want the 20 million people who have newly gained insurance because of the ACA to lose their coverage. So they plan to phase out Obamacare over time while they devise a replacement plan that they say will make affordable health insurance available to everyone, without the much-hated mandate to buy insurance if you don't want it.

Many analysts are skeptical that this "repeal and delay" strategy will work.

"The most likely end result of 'repeal and delay' would be less secure insurance for many Americans, procrastination by political leaders who will delay taking any proactive steps as long as possible, and ultimately no discernible movement toward a real marketplace for either insurance or medical services," said Joe Antos and James Capretta of the conservative American Enterprise Institute in a blog published Tuesday in Health Affairs.

I accused the dimocraps of not knowing what they were doing with the ACA, and I was right.

I listened to Rand Paul talk about its replacement last night and he is just as clueless as the dims were. Maybe more so.

These people in Washington don't have a clue how to make a Health Insurance Program work. IMO, they don't even seem to understand the meaning of 'adverse selection'

We have a problem, people.

They don't even understand why Insurance Companies can't or won't cross State lines.

We're in trouble. I gotta admit, the Republicans are just as clueless on this topic as dims.

Maybe more

Does not seem like a good idea....so they remove all the subsidies....what's going to happen to the people who depend on those to get insurance?

Not to mention - if they want to reinvent the wheel and replace it with a new plan, they don't have enough votes with out Democrats joining in.

Republicans have to use a special legislative maneuver, called a budget resolution, to undo the ACA because they don't have enough votes to overcome a Democratic filibuster in the Senate. Budget bills aren't subject to filibuster, so lawmakers will be able to repeal the parts of the law that have budget and tax implications.

That means they can essentially gut the law, removing all the subsidies that help low- and middle-income people buy health insurance and getting rid of the smorgasbord of taxes — on medical devices, insurance companies and wealthy individuals — that pay for those subsidies

Enzi's resolution calls on the Senate to get a bill to the Senate Budget Committee by Jan. 27.

Republican lawmakers say they don't want the 20 million people who have newly gained insurance because of the ACA to lose their coverage. So they plan to phase out Obamacare over time while they devise a replacement plan that they say will make affordable health insurance available to everyone, without the much-hated mandate to buy insurance if you don't want it.

"The most likely end result of 'repeal and delay' would be less secure insurance for many Americans, procrastination by political leaders who will delay taking any proactive steps as long as possible, and ultimately no discernible movement toward a real marketplace for either insurance or medical services," said Joe Antos and James Capretta of the conservative American Enterprise Institute in a blog published Tuesday in Health Affairs.

I accused the dimocraps of not knowing what they were doing with the ACA, and I was right.

I listened to Rand Paul talk about its replacement last night and he is just as clueless as the dims were. Maybe more so.

These people in Washington don't have a clue how to make a Health Insurance Program work. IMO, they don't even seem to understand the meaning of 'adverse selection'

We have a problem, people.

They don't even understand why Insurance Companies can't or won't cross State lines.

We're in trouble. I gotta admit, the Republicans are just as clueless on this topic as dims.

Maybe more

There is nothing stopping insurance companies from crossing state lines. Aetna and Blue Cross are in every state

You just have to comply with state regulations and set up networks of doctors and pharmacies that will accept your rates. How hard can it be?

Things were a lot easier when Republicans didn't have to actually DO anything

Sitting on the sidelines harping about the Obamacare Trainwreck made for good media

Now they get stuck with the consequences when they try to dismantle it

lol, it was easier for the RW'ers on USMB too, as their ever increasing volume of floundering posts is making clear.

As I said last week it's going to be fun watching the RWnuts around here try to play defense.
Responsible Americans want no social safety net, it cost too much.
I know it's old fashion at all, why can't people just pay for their own shit and move on with their lives? Progressives have made this country weak... fact

Even the most responsible people can suffer a catastrophic event and illness that they have no control over and be financially wiped out.
Shit happens of course, that does not mean that you should expect the federal government to bail you out of the shit your in.
I rather die than to depend on the nanny state. Depending on the nanny state is no way to live… Fact

I agree. Its not the responsibility of the American taxpayer to pay for anyone's anything.

If you can't afford to pay for your healthcare then get off your ass and get two jobs.

The word charity isn't in the constitution.

There is nothing stopping insurance companies from crossing state lines. Aetna and Blue Cross are in every state

You just have to comply with state regulations and set up networks of doctors and pharmacies that will accept your rates. How hard can it be?

Well, no that's not true. At all.

Aetna to pull out of most Obamacare exchanges

And Blue Cross/Blue Shield in one State is not associated with others in any way. They are independent of each other. Completely. Some are 'For Profit' while many are 'Not For Profit' and all of them separate companies.

The Insurance Company also has to be approved/admitted by the State Insurance Commission(er).

Since Insurance Companies are regulated by States and not by Federal rules, the States would kinda like to make sure, you know, that they can pay Claims. Kinda important.

Insurance Companies also have to prove they're financially stable and they have to place Cash with the State Treasurer in the form of reserves. That way, if there's a dispute with a Customer, the Insurance Commissioner, who is most often also the State Treasurer, can just take the money and force the Insurance Company to prove their case.

Also a LOT of Companies just simply don't want to operate in some States.... Like New yawk..... Who in the FUCK want's to do business in that pushole? The whole State is corrupted by the City. And the whole City is just one big scam after another.

Our politicians have a layman's understanding of Insurance. Which is to say -- None.

And you have even less than that.

That's the crux of the stupidity, yes. Should we do that for all kinds of insurance?

You mean like being able to run out and buy Car Insurance the day after you crash it into a tree??

Not a fair analogy.

For one thing, a simple and easy to treat disease like diabetes can often be taken care of with some inexpensive pills and a little kick in the ass from a Doctor telling you to not be a fat pig and quit drinking.

But if you let it go, the person ends up on welfare because he or she's on dialysis, loses a leg, can't take of him/herself, becomes a burden on his/her relatives and society in general.

For Insurance to work, we have to have mass, near 100% participation. Without it, it won't work.

Does anybody in here have Flood Insurance? If you do, you didn't have a choice if you are Zone A did you?

You either buy it or don't get your mortgage. Just that simple.

The Government forces Mortgage to companies to force you to have it.

Why? Because people won't buy it if they're not forced to.

Same with Health Insurance

That's the crux of the stupidity, yes. Should we do that for all kinds of insurance?

You mean like being able to run out and buy Car Insurance the day after you crash it into a tree??

Not a fair analogy.

It's not an analogy. It's just the nature of insurance.

As much as we really, really want it to be otherwise, private insurance can't serve as a public safety net.

Forum List

Back