Agree or not: The rich benefit the most from tax money?

When did any of them ask for all that "benevolent patronage" of Big Daddy Big Gubmint?

Constantly.

Who do you think pays lobbyists? Poor people?

In some cases. The American Legion does some of the most lobbying in Washington, And this old sergeants annual dues pay them. And I'm sure there are many members of the legion better off and worse off than I am. And they pay their dues, which pays for lobbyists in Washington.

It would probably shock the socks off of leftists to find out that many of the "eeeevil rich investors" in the corporations they so revile - who also hire lobbyists - are also poor, or at least middle-class, investing by way of retirement and pension funds, 401k plans, mutual funds, etc.

And if corporations and their shareholders (the rich) don't want to pay taxes anymore, well they can feel free to provide their own roads, protection and education for their own workers.

Lets see how that works out.

How about the poor start providing their own roads, protection, and education instead of looking to the rich to do it for them, and then having the sheer, utter GALL to be offended that the rich aren't thrilled and honored to be given the opportunity to carry their asses through life?

Let's see how THAT works out.

Yeah, living in poverty is wonderful. The rich got their riches thanks in part to our government, infrastructure, and stability, which is what my point was.

And the rich are hardly suffering from their higher % of taxes being paid. I don't understand why so many complain about the rich paying so much in taxes when I assume most of the people making those complaints aren't rich themselves.

I got rich and the government had nothing to do with it. Hell I quit school at 15 was in prison at 17. And now thirty years later I own two homes, a cattle ranch with over five thousand acres of land after selling two thousand acres to a real estate investor for 1.7 million five years ago I bought 10 acres of land and a house in Mexico. I partnered with a few friends and we purchased a Gulfstream G200, best investment I've made.

I started out in this world with nothing now I have everything I could ever want and all done through smart investments and hard fucking work which is something you liberal idiots don't seem to understand. The majority of the rich people in this country were not born rich they worked their asses off and made high risk investments that paid off.

While I respect these accomplishments for what they are, it is this kind of boasting that makes me more of an independent thinking citizen. It is a turn off to your message. I would like to see you being homeless for a month caught in the poverty trap with no money. Boasters like this would not last three days.

Been there, done that, got the fuck out of it. When was the last time YOU were in that position? Or are you just speaking from your vast experience watching Lifetime TV movies?

The wealthy benefit more from federally funded infrastructure than the poor.

Trains, Planes, Ports and Roads are all subsidized in some way, and are used by corporations to move goods and people to further their profits. Those profits work their way to the rich in the form of capital gains.

In the same way, the protection of the military, the police and fire departments all benefit the rich more than the poor. A good "for instance" would be the military protection of the Oil Industry.

Corporations and their stockholders benefit from the bloated military spending that makes it's way into their pockets.

Generally poor people have too hard of a time putting food on the table to invest "spare" money into loads of stock.

There is definitely an inequality in the use of government funding between the wealthy and the rest of us, yes.

Them goods don't move themselves.

You idiots forget that it's these "evil rich people" who gives people like you a job.

While I am sure there are "evil rich people," I am also sure there are good ones. The ones many of us would like to see nailed are the SELFISH who place their needs over that of everyone else. These people are bad, just bad, and should be dealt with like cock roaches, spray them to prison.

You mean like the ones who sit in here, bold as brass, condemning "the rich" for DARING to not be pleased and happy about being taxed at a confiscatory rate to support their underproducing asses? Would those be the "selfish" people you're talking about?

IYO perhaps, IMO there is.

If certain people use more resources than others, they should pay more taxes.

We disagree on this point of course, but both points of view do in fact have justifications.
Except that you didn't give any moral/ethical justification...All you did was accept the premise of the moral authority for taxation on production, then claim that just because someone produces more he should then have more of his production expropriated.

So, what's your ethical justification for seizing by force from the productive in the first place?

Hey dude, have you ever taken a college course in ethics? In all honesty you're one ignorant person.

I think he was more interested in REAL ethics, rather than "I'm a college professor, I know nothing about working for a living, I even have grad students to teach my classes for me" ethics.

So are you or are you not saying that I am entitled to what you earn? I have lots less. So how much of what you earn should I get? I can send you an address of where to send the check.

Having spent most of my adult life in vocations or avocations working to help the poor in various ways, I can assure you that private assistance to the poor is far more effective and valuable than anything being dispensed by the federal or even state governments.

What objection do you have with public assistance being removed from the Federal government where at least 1/3 and sometimes much more is swallowed up by the bureaucracy or corrupt recipients and rather placing it with the states, local communities, and the private sector?

The objection I have is this:

When charities are at a local level or done by private industry, favoritism occurs.

So, when a private charity operating in the town of Smallville is doling out their funds, they are going to give it to some poor family down the block, while a horde of starving people in the next state die of starvation.

And I am not saying people are entitled to what other people earn. I am saying that if I am using resources that belong to the both of us, than you deserve a share of the profits from those resources.

For instance, let's say I found an oil well that straddled both of our backyards. I asked you to borrow your truck, and I used it to bring equipment to my backyard to tap the oil.

Now, do you think that you might deserve a small share of the profits, even though it was me who did the work?

In what state of the USA are people starving to death?

California, but only the actors because they're all on diets.

They make the most money, have the biggest share in the wealth, and pay the most taxes. But don't they also benefit the most from what the tax money goes towards?

They benefit from an educated and skilled workforce that help their companies flourish. THey benefit from roads and strong infrastructure to move their product and assist in their business, which allowed them to . THey benefit from the US military and police force to protect their assets and provide a relatively safe and stable country to have their business flourish. THey may even have benefitted from student loan programs getting them their education in the first place. Many benefit from new scientific discoveries funded by government research grants which helped them discover an innovative new technology based on those discoveries. They benefit from legislation and justice system that protects their innovative products from patent infringement. I'm sure there are plenty more.

Da--duh--Da--duh--Da--duh. The benefits of taxes? Meaning you pay more and the government gets more from you--is some kind of benefit to the person paying taxes?--:lol::lol:

I really never considered paying taxes as some kind of benefit to "myself"---:lol::lol:

I'll go ya one better.. let's let the people who pay zero in federal taxes provide their own roads, education, food, homes, and doctors,, how's that work for ya???

Take one company I happen to know a little about, United Air Lines. United had its most profitable years during the Viet Nam war flying American troops over to protect the interests of Shell Oil. United also, has/does receive subsidies for providing service to unprofitable routes, and to promote themselves overseas against air carriers owned by other governments. This company is always broke with it's hand out to Uncle Sam while the executives live and travel like kings. United's unions are always being asked to make sacrifices for the good of the company.

United_airlines_crash.jpg

Well, see there I go on a rant. United Air Lines, I join the crowd in Southern California who has to listen to aircraft flying a few hundred feet overhead landing at LAX. Then we have the blight of big 'near the airport' office buildings that have replaced some fine old neighborhoods.

United's CEO along with others should be tied to a tree in Inglewood all night to listen, and see what the neighbors might do. Sorry dancing off topic, but I can bring it around. I just hate these bastards for what they have done in our community. What is the rush for all these important people to jet somewhere? Then they advertise to promote more air travel. It is greed ladies and gents, pure greed. All those wonderful stockholders who own money machines like United Air Lines love to talk about American investment opportunities, and the rest of us be damned. Mine is not an indictment of the free-enterprise system, which I support. Not all companies are as compassionate as Halliburton or Microsoft.

Who regulates the Airlines Stainmaster? LOL

I can sympathize with you, I live about 2 miles from LaGuardia. You might want to redirect some of that anger towards the FAA. LOL

This has been in the local news about LAX and Burbank for years. Something about a grandfather clause, which came first the airport or the neighborhood. We could dump this problem on the Government, but they are subsidizing and regulating commercial aviation at the same time. In other words what we see is what we get.

Why not call Captain Kirk and get some of those "beam me up, Scotty" transporter deals.

I am sorry, I have friends in Inglewood and those jets are a few hundred feet overhead, and landing every 15 minutes! There has been a lot written about the psychological effects of this noise. Folks, this is not a partisan issue. It is a neighborhood, health care, and noise pollution problem. It is one of those things that does not matter until it happens to you or those you care about.

They make the most money, have the biggest share in the wealth, and pay the most taxes. But don't they also benefit the most from what the tax money goes towards?

They benefit from an educated and skilled workforce that help their companies flourish. THey benefit from roads and strong infrastructure to move their product and assist in their business, which allowed them to . THey benefit from the US military and police force to protect their assets and provide a relatively safe and stable country to have their business flourish. THey may even have benefitted from student loan programs getting them their education in the first place. Many benefit from new scientific discoveries funded by government research grants which helped them discover an innovative new technology based on those discoveries. They benefit from legislation and justice system that protects their innovative products from patent infringement. I'm sure there are plenty more.

The rich provide jobs and more jobs. I wish everybody was rich. As the question goes, "when is the last time a poor man/woman gave you a job?

Take one company I happen to know a little about, United Air Lines. United had its most profitable years during the Viet Nam war flying American troops over to protect the interests of Shell Oil. United also, has/does receive subsidies for providing service to unprofitable routes, and to promote themselves overseas against air carriers owned by other governments. This company is always broke with it's hand out to Uncle Sam while the executives live and travel like kings. United's unions are always being asked to make sacrifices for the good of the company.

United_airlines_crash.jpg

Well, see there I go on a rant. United Air Lines, I join the crowd in Southern California who has to listen to aircraft flying a few hundred feet overhead landing at LAX. Then we have the blight of big 'near the airport' office buildings that have replaced some fine old neighborhoods.

United's CEO along with others should be tied to a tree in Inglewood all night to listen, and see what the neighbors might do. Sorry dancing off topic, but I can bring it around. I just hate these bastards for what they have done in our community. What is the rush for all these important people to jet somewhere? Then they advertise to promote more air travel. It is greed ladies and gents, pure greed. All those wonderful stockholders who own money machines like United Air Lines love to talk about American investment opportunities, and the rest of us be damned. Mine is not an indictment of the free-enterprise system, which I support. Not all companies are as compassionate as Halliburton or Microsoft.

I can sympathize with you, I live about 2 miles from LaGuardia. You might want to redirect some of that anger towards the FAA. LOL

This has been in the local news about LAX and Burbank for years. Something about a grandfather clause, which came first the airport or the neighborhood. We could dump this problem on the Government, but they are subsidizing and regulating commercial aviation at the same time. In other words what we see is what we get.

Why not call Captain Kirk and get some of those "beam me up, Scotty" transporter deals.

I am sorry, I have friends in Inglewood and those jets are a few hundred feet overhead, and landing every 15 minutes! There has been a lot written about the psychological effects of this noise. Folks, this is not a partisan issue. It is a neighborhood, health care, and noise pollution problem. It is one of those things that does not matter until it happens to you or those you care about.

You are correct, it has nothing to do with politics. It does however have everything to do with who came first. If the airport was there first then developers started building up to the airport property parameter and people were stupid enough to buy there........ That's not the airports fault. Now if it was the other way around then the airport is at fault and must adapt to the community or move to a new location.

The rich provide jobs and more jobs. I wish everybody was rich. As the question goes, "when is the last time a poor man/woman gave you a job?
I don't know about you, but EVERY person I've ever worked for, at raise time, TOLD me they were POOR. :eusa_shhh:
I suspect you've never had a job. :eusa_whistle:

I don't know about you, but EVERY person I've ever worked for, at raise time, TOLD me they were POOR. :eusa_shhh:

You need to find a better class of employer. But if you had a job at all, you were apparently being paid what you agreed to work for. And unless it was written into your contract that you are entitled to a raise, your employer is not obligated to give you one. Good employers, however, do usually compensate good employees more for good work when they are able to do so. At least every one I have worked for has done so.

And I have never ever been offered a paying job by a poor person.

Seems to me that the 47% that doesn't pay any Federal Income tax would benefit the most.

Yeah, living in poverty is wonderful.
The rich got their riches thanks in part to our government, infrastructure, and stability, which is what my point was.

And the rich are hardly suffering from their higher % of taxes being paid. I don't understand why so many complain about the rich paying so much in taxes when I assume most of the people making those complaints aren't rich themselves.

That should serve as an incentive to vacate the fucking couch and get a goddam education so they can become rich too....it's called personal responsibility.

In what state of the USA are people starving to death?

None, thanks to federal food stamp programs, etc.

And I believe that without food stamp progrmas, each community would have more donation programs.

Why do I believe this?

Becuase no one held a gun to our heads as we, Americans, donated more to the tsunami victims than all other countries combined. And that does NOT include the forced donations our government made for us using tax dollars.

Maybe if the government stopped donating our money for us, we would all donate more individually?

Not maybe. I am sure of it. We are Americans. We are proud. We are caring. We are a giving people.

We dont need governemtn to do it for us. They have us all wrong. They are clueless.

What a smart Jarhead you are.

Indeed... We are all of those things. We have, since our inception, helped our neighbors and worked together, without the requirement from some bunch of thieves in DC doing it for us.

You are correct, it has nothing to do with politics. It does however have everything to do with who came first. If the airport was there first then developers started building up to the airport property parameter and people were stupid enough to buy there........ That's not the airports fault. Now if it was the other way around then the airport is at fault and must adapt to the community or move to a new location.

I'm pretty much in agreement with you there for the most part. Who was there first is an factor, eminent domain is another factor. Be it Airports, Hospitals, Schools, Universities, Roadways, which fall under the true umbrella of eminent domain. Sometimes we lose. What I would like to see is a big bonus factor for those displaced. Focused on Primary home owners that have long term residency in the properties in question and long time business owners, that will suffer because of relocation. Government wants to play God, Here is where You sign the check and make things right.

For anyone that wants to move next to a fish cannery and then complain about the smell, a quarter for a pay phone, or a law suit against the school that graduated you seems fair. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I live under the flight path of landing Jets at LaGuardia. They are a bit quieter, though when they apply reverse thrust, what ever it is they do, there are times when it can wake the dead. Those occasions are rare, but sometimes when they do occur, it seems like one every minute. Runway repairs, Tennis tournaments, I'm not sure about ball games. Bloomberg can be secretive and squirrelly. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Our family home was built before LaGuardia, that gives us right's huh? LOL I want the FAA to dance for Me. ;)

There are 3 main places where our tax money goes
1 social security
2 military
3 foreign aid.

So no, the rich do not even come close to benefitting the most from taxes.

Government Payroll, Government Pensions, Government Workers benefit packages.

When did any of them ask for all that "benevolent patronage" of Big Daddy Big Gubmint?

Dude, seriously? Corporate lobbyists are just like Santa clause, the Easter bunny, and the tooth fairy? Who knew? :lol:

Who is signing the checks of the people signing those checks Barb? Go ahead and ring the door bell. When Anderson Cooper answers, ask him. Search out the names on those Corporate boards Barb. ;) Study the who, why, how, when, and where. Who is related to who.

I have employed 45+ people and can assure you that many people making minimum wage are being overpaid. The ones that earned more, had educated themselves in their field of interest and qualified for more. :)

And "yes" I was just breaking even. Most small businesses are. The reward comes after you build equity and sell, and can sustain your own retirement. No dependence upon government. I was looking forward to that day.

I have employed 45+ people and can assure you that many people making minimum wage are being overpaid. The ones that earned more, had educated themselves in their field of interest and qualified for more. :)

And "yes" I was just breaking even. Most small businesses are. The reward comes after you build equity and sell, and can sustain your own retirement. No dependence upon government. I was looking forward to that day.
So then do you admit that it is the POOR small businessman who provides the majority of American jobs, as opposed to the RICH businessman who can afford to establish his business overseas and take advantage of cheap foreign labor?

The Poor Business person has aspirations of being Rich.

Obamanomics is destroying that opportunity.

Forum List

Back