🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Al Sharpton: People Have No Right Having Unregulated Rights

I didn't read the OP all the way through. What I did read however, didn't make much sense.

As to the quote by the Rev. Al Sharpton, those who think they DO have a right to unregulated rights aren't paying attention.

Start with this fact: Your rights end where mine begin.

You have the right to smoke cigarettes, pipes, cigars, dandelion leaves.

I have the right to NOT breathe the carcinogens and stink of whatever it is that you're smoking.

You have the right to own guns.

I have the right to be safe from you and your guns.

We have regulations because "you" believe you have the right to blow smoke at me and carry a gun on your hip.

None of those are rights. That's the problem, the left doesn't know what rights are as apposed to personal choices. You have no right to be safe from my gun. Just break into my house and you'll find out the hard way. You do have the right to cower in the corner and pray the police will get there in time when someone breaks into your house.

Everything, mostly because every example you have given is not about free speech. If I argued that the government can regulate the press, and then pointed out that Newsweek went out of print this year, would that make me right?

Incitement to riot was free speech until laws were passed against it, and those laws were upheld by the Supreme Court.

Someone who wishes to use speech to incite a riot can no longer do so without fear of being held criminally accountable, because of regulation,

thus proving that he had no right to unregulated free speech.

Incitement to riot was free speech? When? Are you aware that the same people who voted for the bill of rights wrote the Alien and Sedition act? Do you realize that complete ignorance of historical facts is not a qualification for a debate?

Incitement to riot was free speech whenever or wherever there were no laws against it.

If the Alien and Sedition Acts regulate free speech, they prove my point.

Maybe for sake of clarity we should define what regulating free speech means.

My definition is -

The regulation of free speech are laws and other acts of government that determine what is or isn't constitutionally protected speech.

Free speech is not immune to regulation under my definition.

If you want to clarify by posting your definition by all means do so.

Last edited:
Incitement to riot was free speech until laws were passed against it, and those laws were upheld by the Supreme Court.

Someone who wishes to use speech to incite a riot can no longer do so without fear of being held criminally accountable, because of regulation,

thus proving that he had no right to unregulated free speech.

Incitement to riot was free speech? When? Are you aware that the same people who voted for the bill of rights wrote the Alien and Sedition act? Do you realize that complete ignorance of historical facts is not a qualification for a debate?

Incitement to riot was free speech whenever or wherever there were no laws against it.

If the Alien and Sedition Acts regulate free speech, they prove my point.

Maybe for sake of clarity we should define what regulating free speech means.

My definition is -

The regulation of free speech are laws and other acts of government that determine what is or isn't constitutionally protected speech.

Free speech is not immune to regulation under my definition.

If you want to clarify by posting your definition by all means do so.

If someone makes a law it interferes with a right? Is that your final answer?

Forum List

Back