Alternative To The Electoral College

I get the point of the EC.

However, it's inception was tonpretect slave owners and to keep a person like Trump out of office.

The first raison d'etre is obsolete, and clearly it has been a spectacular failure on the second reason.

best they can do is by district

Actually they (States) can allocate their EC votes as they wish as long as it's prior to the election. (That being one of the rules Congress has put in place in the United States Code per Article I, Section 4.)

States don't even have to technically have general elections for the Electoral College. Under Article II, Section I, Para 2 - the legislature has full authority to allocate EC Electors. They can even use the national vote as the standard.

WW

No, they’d still get one vote per voter, just like anywhere else- including urban areas

One vote is one vote

We have one vote is one vote now. What you want is for the densely populated areas to determine who the next president is, which essentially minimizes the rural vote and that is no more fair than what we have now with the EC. And the reason you want it your way is because your party would benefit, since it currently owns the big population centers. What you really want is not more democracy, what you want is a one-party, democrat-run gov't.

We have one vote is one vote now. What you want is for the densely populated areas to determine who the next president is, which essentially minimizes the rural vote and that is no more fair than what we have now with the EC. And the reason you want it your way is because your party would benefit, since it currently owns the big population centers. What you really want is not more democracy, what you want is a one-party, democrat-run gov't.

The power of your “one vote” depends on which state you are in.
Wyoming is the most powerful
California is the least powerful

What you want is for the densely populated areas to determine who the next president is, which essentially minimizes the rural vote

The vote of the person living in a city will count the same as the vote from someone living in a rural area.

Actually they (States) can allocate their EC votes as they wish as long as it's prior to the election. (That being one of the rules Congress has put in place in the United States Code per Article I, Section 4.)

States don't even have to technically have general elections for the Electoral College. Under Article II, Section I, Para 2 - the legislature has full authority to allocate EC Electors. They can even use the national vote as the standard.

WW
Only if they disallow voting all together. If they allow voting, then per the declaration of type of Government then the allocution as to be per the vote IN THAT State.

Only if they disallow voting all together.

Which is what I said.

If they allow voting, then per the declaration of type of Government then the allocution as to be per the vote IN THAT State.

Nope there is no "in that state" requirement. The State legislature can assign EC Electors based on the national results if they so choose.

The could hold a round robin Tiddley-Winks competition if they wanted, although I wouldn't recommend it.

WW

Which is what I said.

Nope there is no "in that state" requirement. The State legislature can assign EC Electors based on the national results if they so choose.

The could hold a round robin Tiddley-Winks competition if they wanted, although I wouldn't recommend it.

WW
Nope would instantly be challenged as disenfranchising the voters and their rights as citizens the Constitution guarantees the Government type.

If California had a 5 million vote advantage for the GOP, you would be a staunch defender of the Electoral College. You and all the other Regime supporters want One Party Rule in perpetuity.
You just set off my lightbulb. Democrats are always bitching about gerrymandering but deciding the presidency by popular vote is the worst gerrymandering there is.

You just set off my lightbulb. Democrats are always bitching about gerrymandering but deciding the presidency by popular vote is the worst gerrymandering there is.

Popular vote means no gerrymandering at all.

The EV is gerrymandering

Only if they disallow voting all together. If they allow voting, then per the declaration of type of Government then the allocution as to be per the vote IN THAT State.
Let's see how they can disallow voting. I guess they could take nominees off the ballot they don't like. Or, they could try locking up their competition. They could just have phony court cases to make their opposition look bad. Or, they could get the media on their side to unfairly bias their readers.

Let's see how they can disallow voting. I guess they could take nominees off the ballot they don't like. Or, they could try locking up their competition. They could just have phony court cases to make their opposition look bad. Or, they could get the media on their side to unfairly bias their readers.
A state could vest the ec in the legislature and have no voting that is how half the States did it until 1824.

Nope would instantly be challenged as disenfranchising the voters and their rights as citizens the Constitution guarantees the Government type.

Correct. Never said it wouldn't be challenged.

It wouldn't be disenfrancising any voters. As all votes would count toward the national outcome. Kind of hard to say you were disenfranchised (vote not counted) when your vote was literally counted.

I don't understand you "government type" theme. It's still a republic with three different levels: local, state, and federal. No change.

WW

Correct. Never said it wouldn't be challenged.

It wouldn't be disenfrancising any voters. As all votes would count toward the national outcome. Kind of hard to say you were disenfranchised (vote not counted) when your vote was literally counted.

I don't understand you "government type" theme. It's still a republic with three different levels: local, state, and federal. No change.

WW
if the majority of the state voted for A and the national Vote total was for B then the state voters would disenfranchise of their legal vote.

if the majority of the state voted for A and the national Vote total was for B then the state voters would disenfranchise of their legal vote.

No they wouldn't as those in a state that voted for "A" had their votes counted. Supporters of candidate A not winning doesn't mean voter A was disenfranchised, it means candidate B got more votes.

Not Winning =/= Disenfranchising.

I voted for Kasich, he didn't win. Doesn't mean I was disenfranchised.

I voted for Haley, she didn't win. Doesn't mean I was disenfranchised.

WW

No they wouldn't as those in a state that voted for "A" had their votes counted. Supporters of candidate A not winning doesn't mean voter A was disenfranchised, it means candidate B got more votes.

Not Winning =/= Disenfranchising.

I voted for Kasich, he didn't win. Doesn't mean I was disenfranchised.

I voted for Haley, she didn't win. Doesn't mean I was disenfranchised.

WW
God you are stupid.

Forum List

Back