Am I the only athiest on here, who when...

I'm interested in discussing the concerns I have with extremist Christians. Are moderate Christians interested and available to discuss my concerns with me without taking offense?

Most Christians are kind hearted, every day people. I don't fear them or feel averse to them. I feel a kinship because I too practice a spiritual path.

I also feel a kinship with atheists, because my spiritual path is non'-theistic, which makes me technically atheist.

There is an American pastor who preaches execuation for gays and uses Bible references. Now, Newby pointed out to me that that pastor misquotes the Bible and misinterprets the meaning. I find that kind of inquiry helpful.

I don't study the Bible because it isn't my holy book, so I have to rely on the testimony of devout Christians who do.

Why do you feel the need to discuss 'extremist christians' exactly? I see them as irrelevent, I see you making a mountain out of a molehill for the very puspose of putting christians in a bad light, any christians. I don't see your inquiry as honest, I guess that's the bottom line. I've discussed many topics with you, explained my point of view many times, yet you are still dishonest and make dishonest remarks over and over and over again. If you interacted in an honest fashion, I might feel differently, but after the recent experiences I've had in any dialouge with you I simply do not trust you or your motives.

It is extremist Christians who say and do things that I feel threatened by. They may be irrelevant to you, but as a lesbian advocating for civil equality they are relevant to me. That's my honest truth. There are specific Christian groups and organizations in America that very much concern me. Do I have a right to discuss my concerns?

If you don't want to talk to me that is your choice.

Just for some clarity here... who started this thread?

Immie

Are you saying you felt hassled as a Christian by the OP? Why?

It's not surprising that you wouldn't see his comments as an insult, par for the course. He can't discuss atheism without insulting all of those who do not think as he does? Why did he feel the need to do that?

And if by some minor miracle it turns out that there is some sort of god out there, he or she would be sorely disappointed with the quality of his or her recruits

I can honestly say that some of God's recruits are not great representatives for Christ. The OP has a point, but he may go too far and make it seem like ALL Christians are alike. You're not.
The pastor that preaches execution of gays and cites bible passages to justify it is not a great representative of Christ's message IMO.

Do Christians feel they must defend ALL Christians regardless of their words and deeds?
That's what I don't understand.

I don't defend the Buddhist monks in Sri Lanka. I condemn them and pray that they wake and stop the violence.

It is so hard to step up and state when some Christians have lost their minds? Pastor Steven Anderson is praying for Obama's death. Isn't that a misuse of Christian prayer? He also advocates killing homosexuals.

Last edited:
I'm interested in discussing the concerns I have with extremist Christians. Are moderate Christians interested and available to discuss my concerns with me without taking offense?

Most Christians are kind hearted, every day people. I don't fear them or feel averse to them. I feel a kinship because I too practice a spiritual path.

I also feel a kinship with atheists, because my spiritual path is non'-theistic, which makes me technically atheist.

There is an American pastor who preaches execuation for gays and uses Bible references. Now, Newby pointed out to me that that pastor misquotes the Bible and misinterprets the meaning. I find that kind of inquiry helpful.

I don't study the Bible because it isn't my holy book, so I have to rely on the testimony of devout Christians who do.

Why do you feel the need to discuss 'extremist christians' exactly? I see them as irrelevent, I see you making a mountain out of a molehill for the very puspose of putting christians in a bad light, any christians. I don't see your inquiry as honest, I guess that's the bottom line. I've discussed many topics with you, explained my point of view many times, yet you are still dishonest and make dishonest remarks over and over and over again. If you interacted in an honest fashion, I might feel differently, but after the recent experiences I've had in any dialouge with you I simply do not trust you or your motives.

It is extremist Christians who say and do things that I feel threatened by. They may be irrelevant to you, but as a lesbian advocating for civil equality they are relevant to me. That's my honest truth. There are specific Christian groups and organizations in America that very much concern me. Do I have a right to discuss my concerns?

Discuss them all you like, I'm guessing that not many share your concerns, which is why you don't get any engagement from many other people. Out of the hundreds of thousands of Christian churches in the US, you're concerned (and have mentioned at least 10 times now) about one that is sending money to some guy in Unganda that's supporting some anti-gay Ungandan bill? Feel free to worry all you like, but it doesn't mean anything to anyone else except some percentage of gay activists maybe.

It's not surprising that you wouldn't see his comments as an insult, par for the course. He can't discuss atheism without insulting all of those who do not think as he does? Why did he feel the need to do that?

And if by some minor miracle it turns out that there is some sort of god out there, he or she would be sorely disappointed with the quality of his or her recruits

I can honestly say that some of God's recruits are not great representatives for Christ. The OP has a point, but he may go too far and make it seem like ALL Christians are alike. You're not.
The pastor that preaches execution of gays and cites bible passages to justify it is not a great representative of Christ's message IMO.

Do Christians feel they must defend ALL Christians regardless of their words and deeds?

I don't defend the Buddhist monks in Sri Lanka. I condemn them and pray that they wake and stop the violence.

It is so hard to step up and state when some Christians have lost their minds? Pastor Steven Anderson is praying for Obama's death. Isn't that a misuse of Christian prayer? He also advocates killing homosexuals.

You've already had these questions answered, Sky, many times by many people. Why should anyone continue to play a broken record?

Discuss them all you like, I'm guessing that not many share your concerns, which is why you don't get any engagement from many other people. Out of the hundreds of thousands of Christian churches in the US, you're concerned (and have mentioned at least 10 times now) about one that is sending money to some guy in Unganda that's supporting some anti-gay Ungandan bill? Feel free to worry all you like, but it doesn't mean anything to anyone else except some percentage of gay activists maybe.

Thank you. You make my point exactly. My worry is no concern of your because I am a gays rights activist and you are not.

I see the movement by some Churches to influence poltiics in other states (like LDS in Utah did with marriage equality legislaiton in California) and Christian ministers going to Uganda to 'drop an atomic bomb' on gay people by stirring up the hate that prompted the kill gays legislation as a serious trend. Of course, not to you, but to me as a social justice advocate.

You have the luxury of not having to worry about any of this because it does not directly affect you.

What would be nice to hear from Christians is, 'we've got your back, we won't let that happen in America."

You've already had these questions answered, Sky, many times by many people. Why should anyone continue to play a broken record?

This looks like it's turning into a re-run of that "ZOMG Sharia Law" thread. :doubt:

Immie

His comment was an insult. An insult with a kernel of truth in it. It's true that some people are not good reprentatives for Christ.

Can you not see that?

This looks like it's turning into a re-run of that "ZOMG Sharia Law" thread. :doubt:

Only if you bring up Sharia Law.

Thank you. You make my point exactly. My worry is no concern of your because I am a gays rights activist and you are not.

I see the movement by some Churches to influence poltiics in other states (like LDS in Utah did with marriage equality legislaiton in California) and Christian ministers going to Uganda to 'drop an atomic bomb' on gay people by stirring up the hate that prompted the kill gays legislation as a serious trend. Of course, not to you, but to me as a social justice advocate.

You have the luxury of not having to worry about any of this because it does not directly affect you.

What would be nice to hear from Christians is, 'we've got your back, we won't let that happen in America."

It's of no concern to me because they have no power, nor will they in the future, period.

You can see it as a 'serious trend' all you like, that doesn't make it one.

You've already been told it won't happen here, yet you refute that every damn time and you know it.

If you don't want to talk with me, don't.

His comment was an insult. An insult with a kernel of truth in it. It's true that some people are not good reprentatives for Christ.

Can you not see that?

No, his intent was to smear all that have any faith based beliefs. I know you're not stupid Sky, so I can only assume that you're dishonest.

It's of no concern to me because they have no power, nor will they in the future, period.

You can see it as a 'serious trend' all you like, that doesn't make it one.

You've already been told it won't happen here, yet you refute that every damn time and you know it.

That's fine. You don't want to discuss my concerns. So be it.

I am just as concerned about the murder of gays in the Middle East. You don't have to care about them, but I do.

When American Christians get involved in supporting killing of gays in other countries I wake up and pay attention.

Last edited:

Immie

Amen and amen. The Christian bashers so completely agree with the statement, they refuse to see that as bashing. Had that been a Christian making such a comment about Atheism, however, I think most would be incensed and would be jumping on the Christian for making an inappropriate comment.

It is simply amazing to me that those who most criticize Christianity refuse to accept the testimony of any who are not extremists, but look for the occasional 'off beat' type among the billions of Christians on Earth. Once they identify that 'off beat' Christian, that person or group is held up as the example of why Christianity is inferior or unacceptable or hateful or whatever. Some would condemn Christianity, for instance, because some will not support say gay marriage but applaud Islam as the superior religion even though it condemns homosexuals to death.

The disconnect is fascinating to watch.

Some Christians might even say the Devil had a hand in it. :)

Amen and amen. The Christian bashers so completely agree with the statement, they refuse to see that as bashing. Had that been a Christian making such a comment about Atheism, however, I think most would be incensed and would be jumping on the Christian for making an inappropriate comment.

It is simply amazing to me that those who most criticize Christianity refuse to accept the testimony of any who are not extremists, but look for the occasional 'off beat' type among the billions of Christians on Earth. Once they identify that 'off beat' Christian, that person or group is held up as the example of why Christianity is inferior or unacceptable or hateful or whatever. Some would condemn Christianity, for instance, because some will not support say gay marriage but applaud Islam as the superior religion even though it condemns homosexuals to death.

Who are the Christian bashers you refer to? Are you saying I'm one? I am correctly pointing to some specific Christian actions that impact me here in America. Did you know the Texas and Montana GOP have recriminalizing homosexuality on their party platforms? Should I ignore that?

I"m as concerned about violence toward gays in the Middle East as I am everywhere else in the world.

I admit to having a fear of Christian extremist just as I fear Islamic extremists. I don't hate all Christians or all Muslims or paint them with the same broad brush. I do accept the testimony of moderate Christians. i believe that you don't hold extremist views.

You just think we gays and lesbians are sinners.

Last edited:
When American Christians get involved in supporting killing of gays in other countries I wake up and pay attention.

Of course you meant to say when 'some small group of American Christians', didn't you? Of course you did. :lol:

I don't know how to make that any clearer Sky. Those who falsely accuse Christianity or Christians misrepresent it or them are the Christian bashers. Those who go out of their way to accuse Christians of evil while defending those who do much worse are Christian bashers. If you haven't figured that out by now, I doubt that you ever will.

Of course you meant to say when 'some small group of American Christians', didn't you? Of course you did. :lol:

No. I don't think that is what she meant to say. :)

Nor will she EVER admit that Islam, which she seems to adore, would have ALL gays killed if they were allowed to do so.

Yes I did. My sincere apologies to you for jumping to the conclusion that I in any way meant ALL American Christians.

Skin thin?

Who are the Christian bashers you refer to? Are you saying I'm one? I am correctly pointing to some specific Christian actions that impact me here in America. Did you know the Texas and Montana GOP have recriminalizing homosexuality on their party platforms? Should I ignore that?

I"m as concerned about violence toward gays in the Middle East as I am everywhere else in the world.

I admit to having a fear of Christian extremist just as I fear Islamic extremists. I don't hate all Christians or all Muslims or paint them with the same broad brush. I do accept the testimony of moderate Christians. i believe that you don't hold extremist views.

You just think we gays and lesbians are sinners.

I wish I had $100 for every time you've said this exact thing, I could take a nice vacation somewhere. :lol:

Does homosexuality = sodomy?

No. I don't think that is what she meant to say. :)

Nor will she EVER admit that Islam, which she seems to adore, would have ALL gays killed if they were allowed to do so.

I admit that Islam puts gays and lesbians to death. That's why it concerns me when a minority of American Christians say the same.

It isn't just what a minority does, it's more the pervasive demonizing of gay people that goes on in mainstream Christian media.

We get compared to Nazis in a bizarre holocaust revisionist history. The guy who wrote the Pink Swastika was one of the American Christian instigators of the legislation in Uganda. That was Scott Lively.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amVnWtpR1is[/ame]

Last edited:

Forum List

Back