America Has Long Favored Cars Over Trains and Buses. Can Biden Change That?

I haven't looked at the infrasructure plan, definitely would expect my thoughts to disagree with those from either party in Washington. As far as our rail system goes, I wouldn't mind at all seeing some federal assistance. However, it would primarily be in terms of the long haul moving of freight rather than passengers. The more we can get trucks off the road and onto rails then the cheaper it will be to maintain our highways. Additionally it would lower costs to ship consumer goods and aid our national defense. If it provides some passenger service with minimal additional costs, only then give it a try.

Looks like fanci nanci put the call in for more protection.

Since last year when Covid started. The Northstar commuter rail line serving Anoka county into Mpls has had ridership drop. A subsidy of around 800 dollars round trip for a 30 mile ride.
Northstar, even on its best days, was under duress, and now it’s close to bleeding out,” said Anoka County Commissioner Matt Look. He says the average passenger subsidy in August was about $794, but Metro Transit says it was about $445 including help from the federal government.

The Twin Cities is urban sprawl over 14 counties with a majority of people commuting suburb to suburb and never going downtown. A centralized approach makes no sense.

No. Another waste of taxpayer money.

I haven't used public transportation in decades. What would be the motivation to use it now?

I prefer to come and go on my schedule, and not to be packed in like sardines with the effluvient hoi polloi.

America Has Long Favored Cars Over Trains and Buses. Can Biden Change That?
The left are pushing their stupid Agenda 21 bullshit, that no one wants. These faggots want us living in shoeboxes and only using public transportation. They want to turn us into little obedient slaves just like the Chinese.

Because you say so even without any facts to back it up? Okay, is it the Karen side of you or the Rumpster side of you?

Since last year when Covid started. The Northstar commuter rail line serving Anoka county into Mpls has had ridership drop. A subsidy of around 800 dollars round trip for a 30 mile ride.
Northstar, even on its best days, was under duress, and now it’s close to bleeding out,” said Anoka County Commissioner Matt Look. He says the average passenger subsidy in August was about $794, but Metro Transit says it was about $445 including help from the federal government.

The Twin Cities is urban sprawl over 14 counties with a majority of people commuting suburb to suburb and never going downtown. A centralized approach makes no sense.

That's the way it is in MANY metropolitan areas. Suburban office parks are much preferred by most office workers than going downtown. Downtown office workers not only have to navigate trains and buses or pay sky high parking rates, they also have to navigate high crime streets, bums panhandling, and bums crapping on the side walk.

No point in wearing your gucci loafers if you have to go down town.

The best I have seen is probably BART in SF and the DC Metro. But they are relatively new.

Considering when it was built and the millions of passengers it carries, the NY Subway system is amazing.

When I lived in Paris I found that Métro to be decades ahead of US transit. Smooth, quiet and efficient. Probably equivalent to the DC Metro right now, but in the 1970s.
I am sure Paris would be glad ta have you back. Bon Voyage!

Hey, you're the one with the French name...

Paris is pretty cool though. Especially its transit system.
Oh and the coffee. OH yeah.
Only been there once. On a Sunday. So the Louvre was closed. Was staying in London. Took the Chunnel. Funny thing. The Cabbies were really nice. But the waiters were a bit snippy. Also ,they didn't seem to know how to make a Martini.

The best I have seen is probably BART in SF and the DC Metro. But they are relatively new.

Considering when it was built and the millions of passengers it carries, the NY Subway system is amazing.

When I lived in Paris I found that Métro to be decades ahead of US transit. Smooth, quiet and efficient. Probably equivalent to the DC Metro right now, but in the 1970s.

Only been there once. On a Sunday. So the Louvre was closed. Was staying in London. Took the Chunnel. Funny thing. The Cabbies were really nice. But the waiters were a bit snippy. Also ,they didn't seem to know how to make a Martini.

How to make the dryest Martini in the world.

3 olives
double shot of Tangeray Gin
Holler just over the glass,"Vermouth".

That's the way it is in MANY metropolitan areas. Suburban office parks are much preferred by most office workers than going downtown. Downtown office workers not only have to navigate trains and buses or pay sky high parking rates, they also have to navigate high crime streets, bums panhandling, and bums crapping on the side walk.

No point in wearing your gucci loafers if you have to go down town.
Not to mention that in Mpls commuters also have to dodge the Chauvin trial and BLM.

Forgot to mention that another article stated that the average 55 riders on the Northstar commuter line have received about 270,000 in subsidies to date riding in luxury on an empty train.

3 olives
Hmmmm... I LIKE a bit of Vermouth.

Serves you right, ordering a martini in France. Ever hear of "wine"?

Chunnel wasn't built yet when I was there. We took a ferry.

3 olives
Hmmmm... I LIKE a bit of Vermouth.

Mixing the V word with Tangeray? You are a heathen. I get you even enjoy Thunderbird ;)

That reminds me, I haven't had my evening Fine Super Dry Martini. Here goes.

Last edited:

3 olives
I'd rather have a twist, but otherwise, that's the recipe!

3 olives
I'd rather have a twist, but otherwise, that's the recipe!

I just knew you had to have at least one redeemable quality.

Best coffee I ever had was in a little French cafe in Charleston. It was astronomically expensive and didn't include a refill, but I still ordered a second cup.

Best coffee I ever had was in a little French cafe in Charleston. It was astronomically expensive and didn't include a refill, but I still ordered a second cup.

The best of coffee I almost had was in London. Coffee slapped my face, ran out of the building.

The best of coffee I almost had was in London. Coffee slapped my face, ran out of the building.

My veal cutlet tried to beat the shit out of my cuppa coffee.... coffee wasn't strong enough to defend itself.
(Tom Waits)

I don't get it.

Serves you right, ordering a martini in France. Ever hear of "wine"?

Chunnel wasn't built yet when I was there. We took a ferry.
Only Manischewitz.

Best I ever had was at a TruckStop Diner on Old Highway 40.

Best I ever had was at a TruckStop Diner on Old Highway 40.
In?

When the cities nd most of the country had streetcar networks, the cost of a Model T would buy the average American 27 rides a day on the streetcar system, and the Model T was one of the cheapest autos around at the time, average price around $500, the factory price not being the average price paid by the average buyer, and many still had to finance that $500 over a couple to three years or more, the average laborer made only around $600 a year. Nowadays, they have to offer 7 year financing for autos; people still can't really afford them now either when 7 year terms are offered.

Fat ass Americans snivel and whine if they have to walk more than 5 feet from their cars.

Forum List

Back