🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Americans Earning Six Figures Or More Pay Nearly 80% of Individual Income Taxes

Nice breakdown... simplistic as I know you intended, but missing some crucial elements as our economy is a very complicated machine. The value of the dollar or pencil is not directly related to the amount of money borrowed... It is related but many other factors need to be considered. Money also isn't printed any longer... The press has cobwebs... It's all just numbers on a screen... The problem with our economy, to use your analogy, is the 1% are the ones with the pencil sharpeners going around sharpening everybody's pencils, they collect the shavings and make new pencils with the materials, in the end they have all the pencils... As the government puts more pencils out there and loans the students money to buy more pencils the 1% continues to collect their shavings... So when it comes to taxation, the government needs to collect pencils and pencil shavings to maintain a strong value for the pencil. My point is, they should be collecting from the ones that own all the pencil sharpeners and not the students that only have a few pencils.

Haha, silly analogy I know but I gave it a shot... Hopefully my message made it through :)

I was addressing specifically the issuing new money point.

On your argument, the point you're missing is that the ones who are collecting the shavings are the ones giving the ones holding a few pencils jobs and when you tax the shavings, you directly reduce the jobs. As a business owner, you take my $$$, I either cut staff I have or grow more slowly. Can't spend what I don't have
You are correct with small businesses but with big business and the 1% you are talking about something completely different. I'm fine with tax incentives for big biz geared towards domestic job growth and investment, but when execs are getting paid 100s of millions of dollars and cutting low end jobs, then something is wrong

The only tax cuts that work are the across the board ones. The targeted ones change behavior and inevitably undermine the intent of the cut. Raise the minimum wage? A bunch of people get sacked. Tax repatriated money? Money stays overseas. Raise the tax on dividend? Companies put more money into stock buybacks. Politicians aren't as smart as we are. Free markets drive efficiency and maximize the benefits. You can't tax the shavers thinking we are the only ones effected. You don't really affect our lives, but we have less to invest and the people you tried to help get fired
When companies start firing people they stunt their growth and earning potential, so if they were smart they would invest in the right places should taxation or wage regulation be increased... If they do downsize then that opens the market for more competition which is a good thing if our system can support small business growth

Small businesses get hit harder by government regulation so no this country doesn't support small business growth
To the 45 percent that Romney was right about, you're welcome.

Americans earning six figures or more paid 79.5 percent of the nation’s share in individual income taxes in 2014, according to the latest preliminary data from the Internal Revenue Service.

Americans paid a total of $1,358,093,169,000 to the IRS in individual income taxes in 2014. Americans earning $100,000 or more paid $1,079,392,180,000 to the IRS, or 79.5 percent of the total

And:
45% of Americans pay no federal income tax

Is this information significant in any way?
Is it new or has it always been the case that the wealthiest pay the largest share? If so then what is your point?

Everyone should pay taxes, that is the only way to make you invested in how the money is spent
Everyone DOES pay taxes, except in bs Pub world. Everyone pays 20-30% in ALL taxes and fees, with only the richest prospering. Great job, hypocrite greedy Pubs and silly dupes...

Nice breakdown... simplistic as I know you intended, but missing some crucial elements as our economy is a very complicated machine. The value of the dollar or pencil is not directly related to the amount of money borrowed... It is related but many other factors need to be considered. Money also isn't printed any longer... The press has cobwebs... It's all just numbers on a screen... The problem with our economy, to use your analogy, is the 1% are the ones with the pencil sharpeners going around sharpening everybody's pencils, they collect the shavings and make new pencils with the materials, in the end they have all the pencils... As the government puts more pencils out there and loans the students money to buy more pencils the 1% continues to collect their shavings... So when it comes to taxation, the government needs to collect pencils and pencil shavings to maintain a strong value for the pencil. My point is, they should be collecting from the ones that own all the pencil sharpeners and not the students that only have a few pencils.

Haha, silly analogy I know but I gave it a shot... Hopefully my message made it through :)

I was addressing specifically the issuing new money point.

On your argument, the point you're missing is that the ones who are collecting the shavings are the ones giving the ones holding a few pencils jobs and when you tax the shavings, you directly reduce the jobs. As a business owner, you take my $$$, I either cut staff I have or grow more slowly. Can't spend what I don't have
You are correct with small businesses but with big business and the 1% you are talking about something completely different. I'm fine with tax incentives for big biz geared towards domestic job growth and investment, but when execs are getting paid 100s of millions of dollars and cutting low end jobs, then something is wrong

The only tax cuts that work are the across the board ones. The targeted ones change behavior and inevitably undermine the intent of the cut. Raise the minimum wage? A bunch of people get sacked. Tax repatriated money? Money stays overseas. Raise the tax on dividend? Companies put more money into stock buybacks. Politicians aren't as smart as we are. Free markets drive efficiency and maximize the benefits. You can't tax the shavers thinking we are the only ones effected. You don't really affect our lives, but we have less to invest and the people you tried to help get fired
When companies start firing people they stunt their growth and earning potential, so if they were smart they would invest in the right places should taxation or wage regulation be increased... If they do downsize then that opens the market for more competition which is a good thing if our system can support small business growth

Small businesses get hit harder by government regulation so no this country doesn't support small business growth
I'm talking about big biz... Try to keep up

Let's hope dear old man Bernie isn't elected....imagine, if you will - having a wallet with a $10 dollar bill in it. Good old communist Bernie comes in, takes your wallet and your $10 dollar bill and replaces it with a $1 dollar bill. Congratulations!!! You just paid YOUR fair share!!!

I heard tonight that good ol Bernie paid his taxes to the tune of 13%.....
But he wants others to pay up to 90%....
You heard wrong, dupe. 90% wrong, maybe 70% over a million. Only thing that keeps down ridiculous CEO pay.

He certainly would CUT taxes on everyone on this board, as opposed to the GOP, dupe. Now everyone pays between 20-30% in ALL taxes and fees. AND ALL THE NEW WEALTH GOES TO THE RICHEST. Great job, greedy GOP billionaires and silly dupes like YOU.

Ok so now prove to me that if some CEO got a pay cut that you or anyone else would see a pay raise
CEOs and big business have been doing great and profiting and the workers have not seen wage growth... So what makes you think that if a biz makes more money they will pay their employees more? More profits don't increase wages, more competition does.

Exactly right.
And competition comes from increased demand which comes from the 90% of consumers who make less than 100K having more cash to buy more. Growth starts with increased wages.

Americans earning six figures or more paid 79.5 percent of the nation’s share in individual income taxes in 2014, according to the latest preliminary data from the Internal Revenue Service.

Americans paid a total of $1,358,093,169,000 to the IRS in individual income taxes in 2014. Americans earning $100,000 or more paid $1,079,392,180,000 to the IRS, or 79.5 percent of the total

And:

Is it new or has it always been the case that the wealthiest pay the largest share? If so then what is your point?

Everyone should pay taxes, that is the only way to make you invested in how the money is spent

Everyone does pay taxes. Payroll taxes, property taxes, sales taxes, gasoline tax, sin tax and any number of fees on any number of things. The people who most benefit from a break on income tax should be the one to get it.

The real question is how much of the total income do the 6 figure plus crowd possess?

They own like 99% of the wealth. They should be paying 99% of the income tax, right ?
Then these '99%' after paying 99% of the taxes should be able to tell the other 1% that they can use 1% of the electric grid and the roads right. After all. Fair is fair right?
"I pay for 99% of this bridge. You paid 1% for it. Go ahead and use your 1%".

The super wealthly do use more services .

Who uses airports more? Donald Trump or the waitress down at the. IHOP.

Airports are funded with taxes on fliers. And be specific, what government services do I use more of than you do. I can't think of anything I use more of than trailer trash. So be specific

Airports and the FAA are not fully supported by fees . Not even close . If that was true they wouldn't have budgets . The TSA alone has a $7billion budget .

Take all the gov programs that protect Americans financial industry . Is your trailer trash guy using the SEC?

3300 airports are deemed vital to the country for defense, postal services, emergency readiness etc and are the only airports eligible for federal grants for capital development

So while a person might not fly from an airport they do benefit in other ways
And those people who do not fly do not pay any taxes involved with ticket prices

People who do not drive still benefit from roads as well. They do not pay the gas taxes but they should pay something towards them

I agree! But so many act as if they get zero out of being an American .

And:

Anybody making less 100k should pay little to nothing in income tax...same for small businesses

I have to pay their share wtf?
You have to pay your own share depending on what you make... Your share is determined by what will make our economy as strong as possible... A strong middle class and flourishing small businesses is what our economy should be build on so if you are in that category your share should be little to nothing

So I should be punished because I work hard and I'm smart and have made good life choices and the punishment is I have to pay more than my share while others pay nothing, got it. Your world sucks by the way.

And:

Anybody making less 100k should pay little to nothing in income tax...same for small businesses

You have to pay your own share depending on what you make... Your share is determined by what will make our economy as strong as possible... A strong middle class and flourishing small businesses is what our economy should be build on so if you are in that category your share should be little to nothing

So I should be punished because I work hard and I'm smart and have made good life choices and the punishment is I have to pay more than my share while others pay nothing, got it. Your world sucks by the way.
No, you wouldn't be punished at all... You and your family get to rest easy knowing your future is safe and secure for the rest of your lives. If you are not at that income level then you don't get hit with a heafty tax burden, giving you more money and opportunity to prosper. Why is this concept so warped to you?

And:

No, you wouldn't be punished at all... You and your family get to rest easy knowing your future is safe and secure for the rest of your lives. If you are not at that income level then you don't get hit with a heafty tax burden, giving you more money and opportunity to prosper. Why is this concept so warped to you?

Its my money, I earned it, hands off moochers!

Who's mooching ?!

And how should our taxes work anyway ? What kind of system would u have ?

It's your membership to do business in club America.

And:

No, that happens because you vote GOP, dupe.

And:

Everyone does pay taxes. Payroll taxes, property taxes, sales taxes, gasoline tax, sin tax and any number of fees on any number of things. The people who most benefit from a break on income tax should be the one to get it.

Exactly! You run across the desert, go into a gas station and buy a pack of gum, you're a taxpayer! That's how lame you people are

Then these '99%' after paying 99% of the taxes should be able to tell the other 1% that they can use 1% of the electric grid and the roads right. After all. Fair is fair right?
"I pay for 99% of this bridge. You paid 1% for it. Go ahead and use your 1%".

The super wealthly do use more services .

Who uses airports more? Donald Trump or the waitress down at the. IHOP.

Airports are funded with taxes on fliers. And be specific, what government services do I use more of than you do. I can't think of anything I use more of than trailer trash. So be specific

Airports and the FAA are not fully supported by fees . Not even close . If that was true they wouldn't have budgets . The TSA alone has a $7billion budget .

Take all the gov programs that protect Americans financial industry . Is your trailer trash guy using the SEC?

3300 airports are deemed vital to the country for defense, postal services, emergency readiness etc and are the only airports eligible for federal grants for capital development

So while a person might not fly from an airport they do benefit in other ways
And those people who do not fly do not pay any taxes involved with ticket prices

People who do not drive still benefit from roads as well. They do not pay the gas taxes but they should pay something towards them

I agree! But so many act as if they get zero out of being an American .

You get your trailer paid for. God bless America! Well, not God ...

And:

Exactly! You run across the desert, go into a gas station and buy a pack of gum, you're a taxpayer! That's how lame you people are
Payroll taxes are as much as income tax now, dupe. Thanks GOP. And state and local taxes which kill the nonrich have risen since Reagan to make up for federal aid cuts, all to protect the bloated rich and giant corps.

Let's hope dear old man Bernie isn't elected....imagine, if you will - having a wallet with a $10 dollar bill in it. Good old communist Bernie comes in, takes your wallet and your $10 dollar bill and replaces it with a $1 dollar bill. Congratulations!!! You just paid YOUR fair share!!!

That's not Bernie's plan. He isn't giving you the wallet back.

as i have mentioned before, once we hit 20 Trillion, it becomes pointless to tax anyone. its like taking one drop of water a day from a one million gallon pool and just waiting to see how long before the pool is empty.

It is the obligation of every US citizen to pay as little in taxes as possible. The govt will spend whatever they like, regardless of what they collect. Seems like the bottom 45% are the only ones who have figured this out.

as i have mentioned before, once we hit 20 Trillion, it becomes pointless to tax anyone. its like taking one drop of water a day from a one million gallon pool and just waiting to see how long before the pool is empty.

It is the obligation of every US citizen to pay as little in taxes as possible. The govt will spend whatever they like, regardless of what they collect. Seems like the bottom 45% are the only ones who have figured this out.
Everyone in the country on average is now paying 20-30% in all taxes and fees, dupe. With all the new wealth going to the richest. Change the channel. And Dems are talking about raising taxes ONLY on the rich and giant corps, dupe.

After 30 years of Voodoo: worst min. wage, work conditions, illegal work safeguards, vacations, work week, college costs, rich/poor gap, upward social mobility, % homeless and in prison EVAH, and in the modern world!! And you complain about the victims? Are you an idiot or an A-hole?:cuckoo:

And:

You take most the income...you pay most the taxes

Everyone in the country on average is now paying 20-30% in all taxes and fees, dupe. With all the new wealth going to the richest. Change the channel. And Dems are talking about raising taxes ONLY on the rich and giant corps, dupe.

After 30 years of Voodoo: worst min. wage, work conditions, illegal work safeguards, vacations, work week, college costs, rich/poor gap, upward social mobility, % homeless and in prison EVAH, and in the modern world!! And you complain about the victims? Are you an idiot or an A-hole?:cuckoo:

Do you know what sarcasm is?

And:

Under any tax plan even a fair one like the flat tax the people with the highest incomes will always pay more that's not really the issue. The issue is if we are going to have an income tax then why do so many get a pass on paying it?

Forum List

Back