An apology and a challenge

A rule of thumb is to treat everyone with respect, at least until they prove they are not worthy it.
I will start a new thread later today, "Respect". It won't be until later as I've just finished lunch and have a horrible boss. Me. I have to complete a set of plans today and will work late to do it.

A rule of thumb is to treat everyone with respect, at least until they prove they are not worthy it.
I will start a new thread later today, "Respect". It won't be until later as I've just finished lunch and have a horrible boss. Me. I have to complete a set of plans today and will work late to do it.

I do that IRL, that is why my wife was so shocked at my behavior. Here on an anonimous Internet message board? Not that worried about it.

Just to be clear, this applies to posters here in the USMB. I can call Obama a lying fuckhead douchebag all I want to. That isn't something my wife hasn't heard before.

Ok, I was posting at home which I almost never do, and I went afk with USMB open in the desktop. My wife went to use my computer and stopped to read what I was posting. Now, I told her about this site so it's no secret and I'm not mad, but she was ahem....shocked when she read some of my posts. She knows nothing about politics and isn't interested at all. She never ever has been to this site.

She asked me why my language was so abusive to people on here. It's a legitimate question as I don't normally act that way and she was surprised. "That isn't debate", she says, how will anyone ever be convinced that you are right or will they participate in a discussion when you act like that? I did show her how others are also acting that way but as I was doing so I knew it was wrong.

I did spend time explaining how frustration it is debating with democrats who lie, obstruct, derail, and otherwise don't really debate, but her implication that I'm better than that was apparent. I did t even bother going into how useless it is to try to change a progressive's mind.

My wife is a fabulously beautiful woman inside and out and in the rare times she gives me the stink eye, I always relent. So....

To all those left and right, the democrats whom I've called various names and the conservatives that were exposed to my rants whether they agreed with me or not, I apologize for my behavior.

Now the challenge:

As of the date and time on this post, I promise to treat people with more respect. If anyone here catches me abusing someone on this board personally, I will give rep to all who call me on it. I'm not going to make some stupid bet to promise to leave the board or anything like that, but I promise to give rep to all posters who point it out.

We'll see how this goes.

I'm bookmarking this for future reference......:D

I had always chalked it up to your taking prednisone, which at my house we call "bitch in a bottle".

My favorite aunt has now started taking it and I more or less have disowned her due to her mouth.

If you aren't on pred, then of course you can control yourself.

I will try not skipping over your posts and see how it goes.

Nothing you can post will change my mind at all, but the issues can get a complete airing.

We'll see.

Regards from Rosie

Well, I wish more people would be willing to engage in political debate without the vitriol so I'm glad to see you are willing to give it a try. That is admirable. Even if minds aren't changed, the discussion can be worthwhile but if it devolves into name calling and personal attacks, there is no point to it. It can still be possible to vent without attacking the poster and that goes for all sides. Good for you for being willing to try.

And pred, Let me tell you a little story:

I got into this rut of apologizing for my name calling in previous boards. People got tired of hearing it, "Oh there he goes apologizing again" they would say. Eventually I was banned because of it for a month. So from then on I decided not to engage in name calling and begin my quest in educating myself in genuine debate tactics. I've enjoyed the experience so far, and the knowledge that comes with it.

However, from time to time I'll slip, but name calling does take away from a sincere point, and people will have a hard time taking you or your points seriously for such. If you feel passionately about something, make a cogent point! Don't engage your opponents with the same weapons they use against you. The only casualty is your credibility.

So, I hope for your sake this is the first and last time you have to apologize. People will eventually lose faith in an apology if it is continually repeated and isn't backed up with action. Just a few words of wisdom, Pred. You're a cool person, and I commend you for stepping up and admitting your mistake. Your wife's a keeper, and a very wise woman. Keep an ear open when she speaks. :)

-TK

Last edited:
Ok, I was posting at home which I almost never do, and I went afk with USMB open in the desktop. My wife went to use my computer and stopped to read what I was posting. Now, I told her about this site so it's no secret and I'm not mad, but she was ahem....shocked when she read some of my posts. She knows nothing about politics and isn't interested at all. She never ever has been to this site.

She asked me why my language was so abusive to people on here. It's a legitimate question as I don't normally act that way and she was surprised. "That isn't debate", she says, how will anyone ever be convinced that you are right or will they participate in a discussion when you act like that? I did show her how others are also acting that way but as I was doing so I knew it was wrong.

I did spend time explaining how frustration it is debating with democrats who lie, obstruct, derail, and otherwise don't really debate, but her implication that I'm better than that was apparent. I did t even bother going into how useless it is to try to change a progressive's mind.

My wife is a fabulously beautiful woman inside and out and in the rare times she gives me the stink eye, I always relent. So....

To all those left and right, the democrats whom I've called various names and the conservatives that were exposed to my rants whether they agreed with me or not, I apologize for my behavior.

Now the challenge:

As of the date and time on this post, I promise to treat people with more respect. If anyone here catches me abusing someone on this board personally, I will give rep to all who call me on it. I'm not going to make some stupid bet to promise to leave the board or anything like that, but I promise to give rep to all posters who point it out.

We'll see how this goes.

On this board you reap what you sow

Some threads and some posters are interested in honest debate. Others just want to talk smack...Your side sucks and mine is great

Engaging in honest debate with the smack talkers will not get them to change their tactics.

Your best option is either to talk smack back or take advantage of ignoring that poster or that thread

Ok, I was posting at home which I almost never do, and I went afk with USMB open in the desktop. My wife went to use my computer and stopped to read what I was posting.

How are you able to post so much & have a job & a wife? Are you the security guard that let the kid on the airport & into the planes landing gear because you were posting on websites instead of keeping watch? I figured most of you avid posters were jobless living in moms basement.

Ok, I was posting at home which I almost never do, and I went afk with USMB open in the desktop. My wife went to use my computer and stopped to read what I was posting.

How are you able to post so much & have a job & a wife? Are you the security guard that let the kid on the airport & into the planes landing gear because you were posting on websites instead of keeping watch? I figured most of you avid posters were jobless living in moms basement.

This, class, is how not to respond to a sincere apology^^^^

Forum List

Back