Angelina Jolie's New Movie 'Unbroken' Provokes Jap Outrage

I just finished the book, but have not seen the movie yet.

Amazing what Zamperini endured. I doubt many could have survived what he went through..from 40 some days on the open ocean in small rift, to the terrible abuse by the Japanese. Amazingly the guy lived to 97 years of age. Dying just last year. He even forgave the Japanese for the horrible punishment they inflicted on him, after finding Christ.

I doubt FDR considered for one second the terrible suffering he inflicted on Americans like Zamperini, when he instigated war with Japan.

Is that what the book claimed?
The Japanese bombed us first.
Please educate yourself on the many provocative actions FDR took against Japan, prior to Pearl Harbor.

You need to educate yourself.
You are believing the conspiracy myths.
The Japanese provoked war with the US. The Japanese records showed they planned on war with the US Jan. 1940 (2 years before they attacked)....It was just a matter of how much could they get away with before the US did something about it.
The Japs built up their military for attacks on the US and British for years before they bombed Pearl Harbor.

Amazing what Zamperini endured. I doubt many could have survived what he went through..from 40 some days on the open ocean in small rift, to the terrible abuse by the Japanese. Amazingly the guy lived to 97 years of age. Dying just last year. He even forgave the Japanese for the horrible punishment they inflicted on him, after finding Christ.

I doubt FDR considered for one second the terrible suffering he inflicted on Americans like Zamperini, when he instigated war with Japan.

Please educate yourself on the many provocative actions FDR took against Japan, prior to Pearl Harbor.

Hmmmm well we didn't order a sneak attack on Japan....so it couldn't have been that......please go ahead and tell us what provocations that FDR did that constituted instituting war with Japan.

See I can almost get your point about there is no excuse for the murder of civilians in war, when you argue about the Atom bomb.

But here you are sounding suspiciously like you are excusing the Japanese attack on the United States.

I read the book. Nothing Hollywood could dream up IMO would be worse than the unspeakable physical and mental torture the Japs inflicted on that poor man and many other POWs.

If any Japanese people are upset with the movie's depictions, good. Such truth my hurt but it's not going to kill anyone. Your people did it; you own it. Deal with it.

Mr Dingleberry, may I remind you that the FDR, then the cocksucker-in-chief

1- abandoned US neutrality and was SECRETLY fighting the Japanese in Indochina...

What were the Japanese doing in Indochina?

Japan had been at war (in China) since 1937, and had been building up their navy since then to be much bigger than the US Navy and fortifying their island bases to defeat the US.
They took over French Indochina from the Vichy French after the Fall of France in the summer 1940.
There was absolutely nothing of value for them in Indochina (Vietnam/ Cambodia/ Laos)....except...to use it as a launch pad to invade and attack the US in the Philippines, the British in Singapore, the Dutch in Indonesia (Indochina sits in the center of these 3 places) to wipe out Britain and the US in Asia and get Dutch rubber/ tin/ oil. That was always their plan. As soon as they got Indochina in Sept. 1940, they started pouring in 100's of planes and 10,000's of troops.
With that move the British and the USA knew the japs were bent on war.

Hmmmm well we didn't order a sneak attack on Japan....so it couldn't have been that......please go ahead and tell us what provocations that FDR did that constituted instituting war with Japan.

See I can almost get your point about there is no excuse for the murder of civilians in war, when you argue about the Atom bomb.

But here you are sounding suspiciously like you are excusing the Japanese attack on the United States.
I would never excuse their attack. I am all about nonaggression.
I can't do the research for you though I have posted many links outlining all the actions FDR took to provoke attack. I find it hard to believe Americans do not know this.

I can't do the research for you though I have posted many links outlining all the actions FDR took to provoke attack. I find it hard to believe Americans do not know this.

So what about the British and Dutch?

Who was responsible for the Japanese attack on the United States:
a) FDR or
b) The Japanese

There is no point in studing BS, Gipper, but you certainly seem to prefer wallowing in it so ... enjoy!

FDR "provoked" nothing. The Japanese were engaged in imperialism, and the war machine needed resources. I supposed you would want the USA to NOT respond to Japanese aggression, including the attack on Pearl Harbor.

The Japs can go pound sand. They committed some of the worst war time atrocities imaginable. Their decendents need to be aware of what their ancestors did.

d-day-invasion-20.jpg

Angelina Jolie s new movie Unbroken provokes Japanese outrage Las Vegas Review-Journal
Truth hurts.

I studied Japanese in college and had several Japanese friends. One time they told me they believed America didn't use the atomic bomb on Germany and only did on the Japanese because of racism. I pointed out to them that the first test of the atomic bomb wasn't complete until after Germany surrendered. Needless to say they were a little shocked that they had been lied to in their education system.

Assuming that story was in any way true, that kind of misconception would not be attributable to "their educational system."

The movie follows the real-life story of Louis Zamperini as told in a 2010 book by Laura Hillenbrand. The book has not been translated into Japanese, but online trailers have provoked outrage. Zamperini, played by Jack O’Connell, survived in a raft for 47 days with two other crewmen after their B-24 bomber crashed into the Pacific Ocean, only to be captured by the Japanese and sent to a prisoner-of-war camp. Especially provocative is a passage in the book that accuses the Japanese of engaging in cannibalism of POWs. It is not clear how much of that will be in the movie, but in Japan that is too much for some.

I read the book twice but I haven't come across a relevant passage on cannibalism of POWs. Some Japanese soldiers in Papua New Guinea resorted to cannibalism during the war because they were on the brink of death from starvation. The 2010 book was written like a novel rather than a history book and there may be some factual inaccuracies to produce dramatic effects. Laura Hillenbrand previously wrote "Seabiscuit: An American Legend" (2001), a nonfiction account of the career of the great racehorse Seabiscuit. The author is not a military historian, which may be why she mixed up what happened in Papua New Guinea with the abuse of the POWs.

3d2a9a7c66.jpg

Last edited:
Last edited:
The movie follows the real-life story of Louis Zamperini as told in a 2010 book by Laura Hillenbrand. The book has not been translated into Japanese, but online trailers have provoked outrage. Zamperini, played by Jack O’Connell, survived in a raft for 47 days with two other crewmen after their B-24 bomber crashed into the Pacific Ocean, only to be captured by the Japanese and sent to a prisoner-of-war camp. Especially provocative is a passage in the book that accuses the Japanese of engaging in cannibalism of POWs. It is not clear how much of that will be in the movie, but in Japan that is too much for some.

I read the book twice but I haven't come across a relevant passage on cannibalism of POWs. Some Japanese soldiers in Papua New Guinea resorted to cannibalism during the war because they were on the brink of death from starvation. The 2010 book was written like a novel rather than a history book and there may be some factual inaccuracies to produce dramatic effects. Laura Hillenbrand previously wrote "Seabiscuit: An American Legend" (2001), a nonfiction account of the career of the great racehorse Seabiscuit. The author is not a military historian, which may be why she mixed up what happened in Papua New Guinea with the abuse of the POWs.

3d2a9a7c66.jpg
The Persians under Cambyses while they were marching through the Egyptian desert ran out of food and had to cannibalize each other. When Cambyses heard about it he was unnerved, and they immediately turned around and marched back to where they came from. Herodotus tells us.

The Donner Party were a well known cannibalistic group in the 1840's.

Anytime you get into a food crunch and there is not any food, you need to think seriously about cannibalism.

You can play the game of waiting for someone to die, and eat them.

Or you can take the initiative like the soldiers of Cambyses did and also like the Donner Party did.

The point is that if you all die it won't do anybody any good.

In the meantime you can always eat bugs. Bugs taste better cooked -- like French fries.

Worms too -- they also taste better cooked. Try a little taste first, like when you were eating buggers as a kid. Then eat more. Finally you will get used to bugs and worms.

FDR "provoked" nothing. The Japanese were engaged in imperialism, and the war machine needed resources. I supposed you would want the USA to NOT respond to Japanese aggression, including the attack on Pearl Harbor.
FDR provoked the attack on the Pacific Fleet by stationing them at Hawaii from San Diego where they belonged. Then he embargoed oil and scrap to Japan.

Same as the USA is provoking China now with our Pacific Fleet in the Sea of Japan and the South China Sea. War with China is inevitable and they will likely sink every American ship within a 1000 miles of their mainland. It is foolishness to have the American Fleet forward deployed to Asia. Pure foolishness. And arrogance. And ignorance.

I studied Japanese in college and had several Japanese friends. One time they told me they believed America didn't use the atomic bomb on Germany and only did on the Japanese because of racism. I pointed out to them that the first test of the atomic bomb wasn't complete until after Germany surrendered. Needless to say they were a little shocked that they had been lied to in their education system.

Assuming that story was in any way true, that kind of misconception would not be attributable to "their educational system."
A lot of Japanese and Germans were hanged after WW2. For those who could be prosecuted they were. I am sure some got away with it. That 95 years old SS prison guard who was just arrested in Germany got away with it for 70 years.

A lot of Japanese and Germans were hanged after WW2. For those who could be prosecuted they were. I am sure some got away with it. That 95 years old SS prison guard who was just arrested in Germany got away with it for 70 years.

What relation do those comments have to do with what I posted?

Forum List

Back