Anger as Republicans block bill to help military veterans exposed to toxins

Go ahead. Tell us about the "scam."
well at least maybe Dirk and BS are thinking that the gop was right to flip flop to not allow the bill to pass, that they'd already voted for, that would help the men and women who were injured in ways they never saw coming by our own military, because Machin and Schumer played them.

I dunno. I think McConnell played the dems in not confirming Garland in Obama's last year, but shoving Barrett-Cohen through with two weeks of Trump left. But I am glad they didn't pack the Court .. and they could have.

Literally every news article about this that I'm seeing on Google is explaining why Toomey and his colleagues voted against it. Do yourself a favor sometime and try reading the ENTIRE article, not just the headline.

Sen. Pat Toomey, R-Penn., who voted against the legislation in June, has remained vocally critical of the bill. Yesterday, after the vote, he said that the bill included a “budget gimmick" that moved $400 billion over 10 years from “discretionary to the mandatory spending category,” which he considered unreasonable. His view did not change in Wednesday's vote.

The views of Sen. Ron Johnson, R-Wis., certainly did, however.

Johnson voted for the bill in June, but voted against it on Wednesday. He said in a statement that the bill “opens the door for more reckless government spending."

Republican Sen. Pat Toomey of Pennsylvania voted no in June and Wednesday because of how the money is accounted for, though he supports the purpose of the legislation.

Toomey objects to the the bill because it includes language that would move money from discretionary to mandatory spending, freeing up about $400 billion in discretionary spending for anything, including programs unrelated to veterans

Twenty-five Republicans who voted yes in June joined Toomey and voted no on Wednesday. Because several senators weren't present for the vote due to COVID and Sen. Patrick Leahy was out as he recovers from hip surgery, the Senate failed to reach 60 votes to overcome the filibuster.

Tester said the Senate Appropriations Committee should be able to address the issues Toomey raised but instead Toomey and other Republican senators blocked the procedural vote. Toomey on Wednesday said he and others were willing to fix the issue by a voice vote and pass the bill.
we know why the repubs voted no. They are political whores who are willing to screw veterans in order to hurt Dems.

You really want to run with that after all I posted? So, it is a "scam" to make spending on veterans mandated spending as opposed to discretionary spending? I mean it is the way it is done most often. It protects that money from being diverted, not causes it to be. But hey, if that is the way you feel then join me in supporting a bill that changes the funding of Congressional pensions to "discretionary spending" instead of "mandated spending".
I haven't linked it, but Toomey raised the exact same issue of discretionary/mandatory funding, but the bill passed over his objection... with a bipartisan vote.

I think Schumer (out of the kindness of his heart to allow the gop to rethink and not have this as an issue next Nov (-:) is going to allow the gop to attempt to offer amendments to what they already voted for, and perhaps will choose to again vote for.

Literally every news article about this that I'm seeing on Google is explaining why Toomey and his colleagues voted against it. Do yourself a favor sometime and try reading the ENTIRE article, not just the headline.

Sen. Pat Toomey, R-Penn., who voted against the legislation in June, has remained vocally critical of the bill. Yesterday, after the vote, he said that the bill included a “budget gimmick" that moved $400 billion over 10 years from “discretionary to the mandatory spending category,” which he considered unreasonable. His view did not change in Wednesday's vote.

Johnson voted for the bill in June, but voted against it on Wednesday. He said in a statement that the bill “opens the door for more reckless government spending."

Republican Sen. Pat Toomey of Pennsylvania voted no in June and Wednesday because of how the money is accounted for, though he supports the purpose of the legislation.

Toomey objects to the the bill because it includes language that would move money from discretionary to mandatory spending, freeing up about $400 billion in discretionary spending for anything, including programs unrelated to veterans

Twenty-five Republicans who voted yes in June joined Toomey and voted no on Wednesday. Because several senators weren't present for the vote due to COVID and Sen. Patrick Leahy was out as he recovers from hip surgery, the Senate failed to reach 60 votes to overcome the filibuster.

Tester said the Senate Appropriations Committee should be able to address the issues Toomey raised but instead Toomey and other Republican senators blocked the procedural vote. Toomey on Wednesday said he and others were willing to fix the issue by a voice vote and pass the bill.
Toomey raised the same complaint when they voted for the bill previously.

the same bill passed before.
That's right, and from what I understood Thune to say is that there were some changes to be made in the 'pay for's' of the bill that Democrats didn't do, so that is why it was voted down by Republican's...He also said, put forth the bill with the changes, or an amended version, and it would pass again...

I think Democrats did this intentionally to use just these types of talking points against Republican's...

The truth is...this is the SAME bill that the repubs voted for last month. No one really know the reason they became assholes and voted against it now....but it may have something to do with the deal Manchin and Schumer made on the reconciliation bill for climate change. So, the repubs screwed over the Veterans purely for political reasons.
No, lying again....I swear, that is all you progs in here do...

That's right, and from what I understood Thune to say is that there were some changes to be made in the 'pay for's' of the bill that Democrats didn't do, so that is why it was voted down by Republican's...He also said, put forth the bill with the changes, or an amended version, and it would pass again...

I think Democrats did this intentionally to use just these types of talking points against Republican's...
Well then Thune is a flippin ass liar. I posted a comparative print from the Congressional Record and even copied and pasted the two minor changes made in the House. A removal of the formal title and the elimination of tax free buy outs for doctors participating in the plan. No changes in financing. The bill has always utilized mandatory funding instead of discretionary funding and most financing of Veteran's Benefits utilizes mandatory funding. And mandatory funding does not create additional discretionary funding, the claim is outlandish on its face. The fact that Republicans are using this excuse is a clear indication of their lack of respect for the American public who they believe will fall for their total bullshit argument.

No, lying again....I swear, that is all you progs in here do...

Can you flippin read? Are you color blind? I mean it is all there, in red and purple, the changes to the bill. And please, explain to me two things. First, the difference in discretionary spending and mandated spending, or non-discretionary? Provide examples. Then, tell me how more mandated spending somehow creates more discretionary funds without Congressional authorization. And no, that authorization was not added to the bill, nor was it in there from the beginning. The reality is those funds were promised to the Veterans, and walled off from being diverted. Republicans now claim they want to remove the wall. I call bullshit.

toomey raised the same issue before they passed it.
The original bill also contains bonuses and other items for VA employees, and many other issues that have nothing to do with suffering veterans. The bill is still likely to pass on Monday, because nobody wants to look like they’re against veterans. If Pat Toomey and the GOP dig their heels in too hard on this issue, it could cause the “red wave” to turn into a trickle in November. The wheels in Washington DC move slowly, when they move at all. But Rick is right, coming up with a real solution appears to be beyond the comprehension of eithhttps://www.unclesamsmisguidedchildren.com/senator-pat-toomey-and-others-block-burn-pit-legislation-why/er Democrats or Republicans.

It is despicable to continue to use America's men and women who are fighting for this country as political pawns for anger you have about separate issues

Heartwarming scenes as the GOP celebrates blocking medical aid for Vets. #maga

Well the dems have done stupid shit before too. But .... damn, this is like 40 theoretically adults having a temper tantrum .... literally over nothing. The gop is going to have to pass the bill, and Toomey's amendments aren't going to pass unless a D votes for them, and it's not like Manchin actually let Build Back Better pass.

you are literally what makes this board intellectually suck, by dumbing down everyone who has to deal with you, esp the mods.
I gave you the article that explains the reason republicans changed their votes. I can't do any more. You're a habitual liar.

well at least maybe Dirk and BS are thinking that the gop was right to flip flop to not allow the bill to pass, that they'd already voted for, that would help the men and women who were injured in ways they never saw coming by our own military, because Machin and Schumer played them.

I dunno. I think McConnell played the dems in not confirming Garland in Obama's last year, but shoving Barrett-Cohen through with two weeks of Trump left. But I am glad they didn't pack the Court .. and they could have.
Did you read the entire article I provided?

toomey raised the same issue before they passed it.
The original bill also contains bonuses and other items for VA employees, and many other issues that have nothing to do with suffering veterans. The bill is still likely to pass on Monday, because nobody wants to look like they’re against veterans. If Pat Toomey and the GOP dig their heels in too hard on this issue, it could cause the “red wave” to turn into a trickle in November. The wheels in Washington DC move slowly, when they move at all. But Rick is right, coming up with a real solution appears to be beyond the comprehension of eithhttps://www.unclesamsmisguidedchildren.com/senator-pat-toomey-and-others-block-burn-pit-legislation-why/er Democrats or Republicans.
Nice propaganda. Gobbles would be proud.

Forum List

Back