Another shitty chain restaurant seeks free advertising by being douchebags

For its part, Denny's corporate office was quick to distance itself from Metz, noting that "while we respect the decision of an independent business owner to speak out on this topic, these statements do not capture the respect by Denny's, the Denny's Franchisee Association or our franchise community at large for our hardworking employees or for our valued customers."

Denny's franchisee backs off 'Obamacare' threat - MarketWatch

Good for Denny's.

no... that is punishing the server. Their tip should be exactly the same as what you would have been giving them before.

An obamacare surcharge should be added to the bill.... instead raising prices. That way people will know why their bill has on up.

This particular chain is raising the price. But they are also giving the customer the option of offsetting the increase by paying 5% less in gratuities--many restaurants automatically add the gratuity to the bill especially for groups. That way the restaurant can continue to serve the same food at the same price without having to lay off staff or cut back on quality or service. And I think most customers probably would not 'punish the server' in this case.

It is a marketing strategy that gets the point across to the customer that it isn't the restaurant's idea to raise prices and to be clear about why they are forced to do so.

It is punishing your employees. They are holding up servers and saying...if you don't like the prices, take it out on the servers

How do you stay in business if that is the way you handle a fluctuating marketplace? When the price of food goes up, do you surcharge? When your rent or taxes go up, do you surcharge? When business is down in the offseason, do you surcharge? When a competitor opens up down the street, do you surcharge?

This is not about compensating for a new business cost. It is petty and vindictive against your customers and your employees

Not good business practice

It is for anybody with any common sense. You would have them lay off people, cut hours, not give raises, etc. rather than take a bit less in gratuities? I'm pretty sure the employees would prefer to take the chance that the customer would leave a little less in tips than to lose their jobs or have their hours cut. And they know that most customers won't tip less. Business does exhaustive research to know what the optimim amount people are willing to pay for a particular product. Under that price and you shortchange yourself. Over that price and you lose business. A policy and price aimed at keeping the customers happy secures the jobs of everybody working at the restaurant. Obamacare after all is for the benefit of the employees, yes? Why shouldn't they be the ones to help pay for it?

Last edited:
For its part, Denny's corporate office was quick to distance itself from Metz, noting that "while we respect the decision of an independent business owner to speak out on this topic, these statements do not capture the respect by Denny's, the Denny's Franchisee Association or our franchise community at large for our hardworking employees or for our valued customers."

Good for Denny's.

oh its not over ravi. This guy just went about it wrong.

they need to add an obamacare surcharge at the bottom of every check. Watch for it... its coming to a restaurant near you.

The rest of the country will get a taste of what SF has been going though now.

no... that is punishing the server. Their tip should be exactly the same as what you would have been giving them before.

An obamacare surcharge should be added to the bill.... instead raising prices. That way people will know why their bill has on up.

This particular chain is raising the price. But they are also giving the customer the option of offsetting the increase by paying 5% less in gratuities--many restaurants automatically add the gratuity to the bill especially for groups. That way the restaurant can continue to serve the same food at the same price without having to lay off staff or cut back on quality or service. And I think most customers probably would not 'punish the server' in this case.

It is a marketing strategy that gets the point across to the customer that it isn't the restaurant's idea to raise prices and to be clear about why they are forced to do so.

It is punishing your employees. They are holding up servers and saying...if you don't like the prices, take it out on the servers

How do you stay in business if that is the way you handle a fluctuating marketplace? When the price of food goes up, do you surcharge? When your rent or taxes go up, do you surcharge? When business is down in the offseason, do you surcharge? When a competitor opens up down the street, do you surcharge?

This is not about compensating for a new business cost. It is petty and vindictive against your customers and your employees

When the cost of doing business goes up, the businesses charge the customers more. Whether it's food, rent, taxes, utilities, when they get raised, prices get raised.

Good for Denny's.

they need to add an obamacare surcharge at the bottom of every check. Watch for it... its coming to a restaurant near you.

What liberals want is for the price to go up, but no one should say why. If they don't mention the O-care they can pretend that the increased cost is just more greedy capitalists.

What liberals want is for the price to go up, but no one should say why. If they don't mention the O-care they can pretend that the increased cost is just more greedy capitalists.

bingo....

so here in SF... restaurants flat named it a health care surcharge. :eusa_clap:

Good for Denny's.

I don't care if they do. I cared that the guy was lying about it and that he was going to tell customers to screw the servers.

It punishes employees by requiring them to help pay for a benefit to them? But it doesn't punish employees when they lose their jobs or their raises or have their hours cut because the government forced an unfunded mandate on their employers?

They can kiss goodbye all the after midnight, college kid, hipster business. Thats a lot of $ he just pissed away.

Oh please you give to much credit to the ignorant drunks that stroll in there from the universities......Looking cool about being against the man means nothing to a young adult with the munchies after a night of drinking and smoking pot.

Last edited:

It punishes employees by requiring them to help pay for a benefit to them? But it doesn't punish employees when they lose their jobs or their raises or have their hours cut because the government forced an unfunded mandate on their employers?

A bunch of drama to hurt Obama

It is no more than a normal fluctuation in operating expenses. To highlight...I am charging you more because of "Obama"...if you don't like it, take it out on my employees

It is petty and vindictive. The good employees will say screw this, I'm going elsewhere" the crappy employees will stick around to help him run his business

It is no more than a normal fluctuation in operating expenses. To highlight...I am charging you more because of "Obama"...if you don't like it, take it out on my employees

It is petty and vindictive. The good employees will say screw this, I'm going elsewhere" the crappy employees will stick around to help him run his business
Elections have consequences.

You're dodging the question. I already know personally dozens of employers who will not be hiring or will be laying off people or will be cutting employee hours because of Obamacare. The restauranteer is passing the cost of THEIR benefit--not his benefit, THEIR benefit--to his employees rather than use those other options. Again the average profit margin in the average restaurant is around 3% at best. There is consequence to raising the cost of doing business anywhere, but it is especially hard on businesses with very narrow profit margins.

So you see it as petty and vindictive to ask employees to absorb some of the cost of a benefit to THEM. And to do that in a way that will probably affect them less than would any other method of doing that? You see it as punishing them to give them a very expensive benefit and ask them to pay a portion of its cost? What exactly do you see wrong with that which makes it petty and vindictive? And why is that the restaurant owner's fault? Why isn't that Obama and Congress's fault?

Or are you one of these people who thinks the government should be able to do anything it wants to anybody and it is fair game to demonize anybody who objects or takes measures to protect himself or herself?

Americans wants this.

No, most Americans wanted a not-for-profit public option that would take all the impetus off of business to provide health care at all, BUT NOOOOOO. The rethugs screamed bloody murder, and this was the compromise they came up with (actually, seems like it was paid for legislation for the insurance industry...) Can't have something that makes total sense and that actually works for the American people vs. corporate interests. CAN'T HAVE THAT!!!

It is for anybody with any common sense. You would have them lay off people, cut hours, not give raises, etc. rather than take a bit less in gratuities? I'm pretty sure the employees would prefer to take the chance that the customer would leave a little less in tips than to lose their jobs or have their hours cut. And they know that most customers won't tip less. Business does exhaustive research to know what the optimim amount people are willing to pay for a particular product. Under that price and you shortchange yourself. Over that price and you lose business. A policy and price aimed at keeping the customers happy secures the jobs of everybody working at the restaurant. Obamacare after all is for the benefit of the employees, yes? Why shouldn't they be the ones to help pay for it?

Are you fucking kidding me? These employees make @ $2.35 an hour, and I can bet your ass that he doesn't compensate them when their tips do not add up to minimum wage. This guy is a douchebag of the highest order. Those poor slobs working there aren't exactly rolling in the dough as it is. He said along with cutting hours (as to not have to pay insurance in the first place), he'll charge an unnecessary "surchaerge"? 5% surcharge on what, his arrogance? How much you want to bet this asshole brings home more than a million dollars a year after the "cost of doing business". Sorry, but he is a vile, greedy ASSHOLE. If I ate at Denny's (ugh, no thanks), I would absolutely boycott them and any other of the stores he's responsible for.

Last edited:

You're dodging the question. I already know personally dozens of employers who will not be hiring or will be laying off people or will be cutting employee hours because of Obamacare. The restauranteer is passing the cost of THEIR benefit--not his benefit, THEIR benefit--to his employees rather than use those other options. Again the average profit margin in the average restaurant is around 3% at best. There is consequence to raising the cost of doing business anywhere, but it is especially hard on businesses with very narrow profit margins.

So you see it as petty and vindictive to ask employees to absorb some of the cost of a benefit to THEM. And to do that in a way that will probably affect them less than would any other method of doing that? You see it as punishing them to give them a very expensive benefit and ask them to pay a portion of its cost? What exactly do you see wrong with that which makes it petty and vindictive? And why is that the restaurant owner's fault? Why isn't that Obama and Congress's fault?

Or are you one of these people who thinks the government should be able to do anything it wants to anybody and it is fair game to demonize anybody who objects or takes measures to protect himself or herself?

Well then they had better get used to it because Obamacare is the law of the land

If they think they can remain competitive with fewer employees, then I would encourage them to do so. You set the number of employees based on the demand for your product or service. If they think they can meet demand with fewer employees, they should do so. If they can't, they are only hurting themselves..

But at least they showed that Obama that he can't push them around

Because the evil business owner is RICH and GREEDY, and he should take that cost out of his own pocket and profit. Seriously, that's how they see it. It makes no sense whatsoever.

Are you fucking kidding me? These employees make @ $2.35 an hour, and I can bet your ass that he doesn't compensate them when their tips do not add up to minimum wage. This guy is a douchebag of the highest order. Those poor slobs working there aren't exactly rolling in the dough as it is. He said along with cutting hours (as to not have to pay insurance in the first place), he'll charge an unnecessary "surchaerge"? 5% surcharge on what, his arrogance? How much you want to bet this asshole brings home more than a million dollars a year after the "cost of doing business". Sorry, but he is a vile, greedy ASSHOLE. If I ate at Denny's (ugh, no thanks), I would absolutely boycott them and any other of the stores he's responsible for.

Case in point, Fox. ;)

Because the evil business owner is RICH and GREEDY, and he should take that cost out of his own pocket and profit. Seriously, that's how they see it. It makes no sense whatsoever.

If it walks like a duck, sounds like a duck... it's usually a duck. He is a greedy, greedy asshole. Charging customers a surcharge on, well, Denny's air I guess, and then gleefully saying "here, short-change my hard-working waitress who has already had her hours cut so I can keep that 5% surcharge on nothing while still not offering basic health care to my employee (EVEN THOUGH I CAN EASILY AFFORD IT and still be a rich asshole"). How is that anything BUT vile and greedy? Holy smokes, you guys need to unpucker from the wealthy. They have you guys completely snowed.

Last edited:

If it walks like a duck, sounds like a duck... it's usually a duck. He is a greedy, greedy asshole. Charging customers a surcharge on, well Denny's air I guess, and then gleefully saying "here, short-change my hard-working waitress who has already had her hours cut so I can keep that 5% surcharge on nothing while still not offering basic health care to my employee EVEN THOUGH I CAN EASILY AFFORD IT and still be a rich asshole". How is that anything BUT vile and greedy? Holy smokes, you guys need to unpucker from the wealthy. They have you guys completely snowed.

You're the one that sounds greedy, you want your hands in their pockets. You think you should have a say on what they make, how much they get to keep of their profits, etc... It's none of your business. It's about freedom, sad that you can't understand that. You're so blinded by greed and ENVY that you can't see the forest for the trees. And it's used against you in this class warfare lie that your party wages non stop.

Forum List

Back