Any Privacy Difference Between Nat. Voter Registry & Nat. Gun Registry?

I believe a gun registry would cut down on straw purchases that lead to guns ending up in the hands of criminals . This is a major probleM in the us .

National vote registry ? I don't see how this would really help wh voter fraud (which is not a big issue unlike guns). Elections are virtually all local . What would the nat vote registry do exactly ?
I believe a gun registry would cut down on straw purchases that lead to guns ending up in the hands of criminals

How?
Guns are easy to traffic and abunant. A buyer hits many outlets adequately spaced so as not to get flagged. Then sells them privately off the record. Then if they ever come up in a crime, they can say it was stolen or sold privately if it gets trace back to the original buyer. The actual nefarious person could be the initial buyer or the private buyer. Once it's private, they can be run around the country fairly easily, but laws are so lax that they don't have to go that far. I bet Chicago's banned guns mostly come from neighboring cities and states. Ultimately they are sold on the "black market" to whoever wants it.

A gun registry would change this so there is no grey area on how the gun got from the store to the criminals hand and who was complicit in making it happen. Idk if it's necessary or I agree with it. If private sales were better regulated it might be enough to curb rampant abuse. They mostly arent at all though.

And nothing you just posted is based in facts, truth or reality......

You violate the 2nd, 4th and 5th Amendments to the Constitution by registering guns.

Actual criminals do not have to register their illegal guns per the Haynes v. U.S. ruling..

Canada tried this with 15 million guns....and failed...we have 400 million guns....

Canada Tried Registering Long Guns -- And Gave Up

15 million guns.....1 billion dollars...and it didn't work....

The law passed and starting in 1998 Canadians were required to have a license to own firearms and register their weapons with the government. According to Canadian researcher (and gun enthusiast) Gary Mauser, the Canada Firearms Center quickly rose to 600 employees and the cost of the effort climbed past $600 million. In 2002 Canada’s auditor general released a report saying initial cost estimates of $2 million (Canadian) had increased to $1 billion as the government tried to register the estimated 15 million guns owned by Canada’s 34 million residents.

The registry was plagued with complications like duplicate serial numbers and millions of incomplete records, Mauser reports. One person managed to register a soldering gun, demonstrating the lack of precise standards. And overshadowing the effort was the suspicion of misplaced effort: Pistols were used in 66% of gun homicides in 2011, yet they represent about 6% of the guns in Canada. Legal long guns were used in 11% of killings that year, according to Statistics Canada, while illegal weapons like sawed-off shotguns and machine guns, which by definition cannot be registered, were used in another 12%.

So the government was spending the bulk of its money — about $17 million of the Firearms Center’s $82 million annual budget — trying to register long guns when the statistics showed they weren’t the problem.

There was also the question of how registering guns was supposed to reduce crime and suicide in the first place. From 1997 to 2005, only 13% of the guns used in homicides were registered. Police studies in Canada estimated that 2-16% of guns used in crimes were stolen from legal owners and thus potentially in the registry. The bulk of the guns, Canadian officials concluded, were unregistered weapons imported illegally from the U.S. by criminal gangs.

Finally in 2011, conservatives led by Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper voted to abolish the long-gun registry and destroy all its records. Liberals argued the law had contributed to the decline in gun homicides since it was passed. But Mauser notes that gun homicides have actually been rising in recent years, from 151 in 1999 to 173 in 2009, as violent criminal gangs use guns in their drug turf wars and other disputes. As in the U.S., most gun homicides in Canada are committed by young males, many of them with criminal records. In the majority of homicides involving young males, the victim and the killer are know each other.
You are so biased in your posts as usual. You ignored the meat. And you spammed blue shit that I can't read without getting a headache.

Try addressing the grit. The ease with which lawfully purchased guns slip into the black market via undocumented private sales. The ease with which a nefarious or not buyer can jump from outlet to outlet buying as many guns as they want with no flag or notification with potentially the intent to sell them into the black market.

First, i dont support a gun registry. So fix your fucked brain NOW and your attack on me. Im just being non biased. You've got to review both sides honestly. Second, A registry would not gain value directly from having criminals register their guns. And it never claimed to. So your links are worthless. The value gained comes from pinpointing the person that was complicit in selling the guns into the black market and also complicit in bulk buying and trafficking. These last activities have been tirelessly protected by the gun lobby and their assault on all gun regulation. Its something that the gun lobby refuses to tackle in general because they love gun trafficking and the black markets, apparently.
it is none of the federal government business on firearm ownership, a firearm registry is absolutely unconstitutional. Jack weed

I believe a gun registry would cut down on straw purchases that lead to guns ending up in the hands of criminals . This is a major probleM in the us .

National vote registry ? I don't see how this would really help wh voter fraud (which is not a big issue unlike guns). Elections are virtually all local . What would the nat vote registry do exactly ?
Quit falling down the well, any type of firearm registry is unconstitutional.

More frivolous gun laws have proven to be absolutely inept in violent crime prevention....

What is it with these people? Trying to come up with completely unrelated bullshit all the time. Surely they can't believe that anyone is stupid enough to not catch the mistake in the "argument"? Failed trolls.
I bet the DOJ can not recover all the guns they sent to Mexico by Holder and the DOJ group.

Treat guns like cars . The "title" follows the sale . Guns are born "legal". How do they end up in the hands of so many people who would come close to passing a background check?

If ms smith buys a gun for her drug dealer boyfriend , her name is on the title . He gets busted. Then she gets busted ! Less people will want to risk that.

You REALLY WANT to DO that??? Ok if you have ever had a dui you cant purchase a car, If you have ever been in an accident you cant purchase a car. If you have ever been CHARGED WITH domestic violence or spousal abuse, you may use your car to go to her house and you can't purchase a car. Before you can purchase a car they will do a background check and if you have ever had a serious moving violation, say failure to stop, reckless driving, NO insurance, and a host of other violations you will be denied the privilege of owning a car OR obtaining a drivers license. All dealers will be required to fill out a form that gives a complete background before you can purchase a car, and there will be a fifteen day waiting period in quite a few states before you can get your car. If you are convicted of ANY felony you cant own any car and you must surrender your cars to some government agency. To be able to drive your car in any area around a church, school, or any area where large groups of people gather you will have to have a background check that is the same as an applicant for a job with the FBI and your permit to do so will be reviewed by the current holder of the highest law enforcement office locally before it is issued. WANT MORE STUPID LIBERAL? Having a drivers license is not a CONSTITUTIONALLY PROTECTED right it IS a privilege according to most issuing agencies. And for the national voter registration, there is a responsibility to vote, and a responsibility for the states to make sure all voters have their vote count. when voter rolls are not maintained in a verifiably current manner, and people who are not qualified to vote do, or those who are qualified can't there is a need to make sure they are brought up to a current, and correct status. ANY state, person, or entity who does not agree with that fact must have a reason to allow illegal voting.

Last edited:
So how is a gun registry supposed to work when only people who don't break the law register their guns?

Guns do not start out being illegal. They become illegal when transferred to somebody who is not supposed to possess them.

By registering guns, and having to account for their disposal, you would know who the guns were transferred to, and then figure out if they had a legal right to possess them.
Enforce the laws on the books, new frivolous gun laws are unnecessary. A firearm registry is absolutely unconstitutional...
Criminals are called criminals because they perform criminal behavior thus, they do not obey laws. Jack weed
The laws on the books have been systematically weakened to the point of obvious ineffectiveness by the gun lobby. It's no secret. It's their motto and is pretty clearly evidenced.

What does this mean for the laws and enforcement? Nothing good. Like I laid out earlier, it's easy for buyers to purchase and sell into the black market. If you don't believe me, try looking it up rather than covering your ears and eyes and shouting fake news.

Who cares if the ID is expired ? You are making people jump thru hoops for no reason .

If you think about it, why should an ID expire? Do you have to get a new copy of your birth certificate every 10 years, because the old one expired.

Does your social security card expire after 10 years?
It takes no time to get a new one and it costs nothing… What is your problem? Are you slow in the head?

From my previous link on murder....

Even within the Counties with the murders, the murders are heavily Concentrated within those counties
National gun registry, would cut down on crime.

National voter registry, would cut down on votes.

It would not cut down on crime....you can't show that it would....you are talking out of your ass, and that isn't even funny when Jim Carrey used to do it...

Sure I could . When you compare similar gun nut states to similar gun control states you see the difference in gun crime .

You gun nuts will be slick and compare empty states like Vermont wh giant city States like New York . Never apples to apples .

Nope.....we compare the United States....and what has actually happened..instead of cherry picking like you do....

We went from 200 million guns in private hands in the 1990s and 4.7 million people carrying guns for self defense in 1997...to close to 400-600 million guns in private hands and over 15.7 million people carrying guns for self defense in 2017...guess what happened...

-- gun murder down 49%
--gun crime down 75%
--violent crime down 72%

Gun Homicide Rate Down 49% Since 1993 Peak; Public Unaware

Compared with 1993, the peak of U.S. gun homicides, the firearm homicide rate was 49% lower in 2010, and there were fewer deaths, even though the nation’s population grew. The victimization rate for other violent crimes with a firearm—assaults, robberies and sex crimes—was 75% lower in 2011 than in 1993. Violent non-fatal crime victimization overall (with or without a firearm) also is down markedly (72%) over two decades.

What'd I say . You would compare apples to apples .

Let's say Massachusetts vs Arizona ? About the same population, with some large cities thrown in.

Actual research......

Gun Ownership

According to a 2013 PEW Research Center survey, the household gun ownership rate in rural areas was 2.11 times greater than in urban areas (“Why Own a Gun? Protection is Now Top Reason,” PEW Research Center, March 12, 2013).

Suburban households are 28.6% more likely to own guns than urban households.

Despite lower gun ownership, urban areas experience much higher murder rates.

One should not put much weight on this purely “cross-sectional” evidence over one point in time and many factors determine murder rates, but it is still interesting to note that so much of the country has both very high gun ownership rates and zero murders.
The reason is the bad asses like the city life, and they don't have to drive as far.

I believe a gun registry would cut down on straw purchases that lead to guns ending up in the hands of criminals

How?

Treat guns like cars . The "title" follows the sale . Guns are born "legal". How do they end up in the hands of so many people who would come close to passing a background check?

If ms smith buys a gun for her drug dealer boyfriend , her name is on the title . He gets busted. Then she gets busted ! Less people will want to risk that.
Quit falling down the well, no one has a right to cars Dipshit.
Any type of firearm registry of any sort is absolutely unconstitutional… So go back and hide in your mothers basement little Nutter....

It's an analogy jackass. Auto registrations have all but eliminated auto theft .
I don't know where you live but I bet its not in Tampa or Ft Lauderdale Fla.

National gun registry, would cut down on crime.

National voter registry, would cut down on votes.

It would not cut down on crime....you can't show that it would....you are talking out of your ass, and that isn't even funny when Jim Carrey used to do it...

Sure I could . When you compare similar gun nut states to similar gun control states you see the difference in gun crime .

You gun nuts will be slick and compare empty states like Vermont wh giant city States like New York . Never apples to apples .

Nope.....we compare the United States....and what has actually happened..instead of cherry picking like you do....

We went from 200 million guns in private hands in the 1990s and 4.7 million people carrying guns for self defense in 1997...to close to 400-600 million guns in private hands and over 15.7 million people carrying guns for self defense in 2017...guess what happened...

-- gun murder down 49%
--gun crime down 75%
--violent crime down 72%

Gun Homicide Rate Down 49% Since 1993 Peak; Public Unaware

Compared with 1993, the peak of U.S. gun homicides, the firearm homicide rate was 49% lower in 2010, and there were fewer deaths, even though the nation’s population grew. The victimization rate for other violent crimes with a firearm—assaults, robberies and sex crimes—was 75% lower in 2011 than in 1993. Violent non-fatal crime victimization overall (with or without a firearm) also is down markedly (72%) over two decades.

What'd I say . You would compare apples to apples .

Let's say Massachusetts vs Arizona ? About the same population, with some large cities thrown in.

Yes....let's compare the two considering Arizona is on the border with the drug cartels.......nice try.

How?
Guns are easy to traffic and abunant. A buyer hits many outlets adequately spaced so as not to get flagged. Then sells them privately off the record. Then if they ever come up in a crime, they can say it was stolen or sold privately if it gets trace back to the original buyer. The actual nefarious person could be the initial buyer or the private buyer. Once it's private, they can be run around the country fairly easily, but laws are so lax that they don't have to go that far. I bet Chicago's banned guns mostly come from neighboring cities and states. Ultimately they are sold on the "black market" to whoever wants it.

A gun registry would change this so there is no grey area on how the gun got from the store to the criminals hand and who was complicit in making it happen. Idk if it's necessary or I agree with it. If private sales were better regulated it might be enough to curb rampant abuse. They mostly arent at all though.

You violate the 2nd, 4th and 5th Amendments to the Constitution by registering guns.

Actual criminals do not have to register their illegal guns per the Haynes v. U.S. ruling..

Canada tried this with 15 million guns....and failed...we have 400 million guns....

The law passed and starting in 1998 Canadians were required to have a license to own firearms and register their weapons with the government. According to Canadian researcher (and gun enthusiast) Gary Mauser, the Canada Firearms Center quickly rose to 600 employees and the cost of the effort climbed past $600 million. In 2002 Canada’s auditor general released a report saying initial cost estimates of $2 million (Canadian) had increased to $1 billion as the government tried to register the estimated 15 million guns owned by Canada’s 34 million residents.

The registry was plagued with complications like duplicate serial numbers and millions of incomplete records, Mauser reports. One person managed to register a soldering gun, demonstrating the lack of precise standards. And overshadowing the effort was the suspicion of misplaced effort: Pistols were used in 66% of gun homicides in 2011, yet they represent about 6% of the guns in Canada. Legal long guns were used in 11% of killings that year, according to Statistics Canada, while illegal weapons like sawed-off shotguns and machine guns, which by definition cannot be registered, were used in another 12%.

So the government was spending the bulk of its money — about $17 million of the Firearms Center’s $82 million annual budget — trying to register long guns when the statistics showed they weren’t the problem.

There was also the question of how registering guns was supposed to reduce crime and suicide in the first place. From 1997 to 2005, only 13% of the guns used in homicides were registered. Police studies in Canada estimated that 2-16% of guns used in crimes were stolen from legal owners and thus potentially in the registry. The bulk of the guns, Canadian officials concluded, were unregistered weapons imported illegally from the U.S. by criminal gangs.

Finally in 2011, conservatives led by Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper voted to abolish the long-gun registry and destroy all its records. Liberals argued the law had contributed to the decline in gun homicides since it was passed. But Mauser notes that gun homicides have actually been rising in recent years, from 151 in 1999 to 173 in 2009, as violent criminal gangs use guns in their drug turf wars and other disputes. As in the U.S., most gun homicides in Canada are committed by young males, many of them with criminal records. In the majority of homicides involving young males, the victim and the killer are know each other.
You are so biased in your posts as usual. You ignored the meat. And you spammed blue shit that I can't read without getting a headache.

Try addressing the grit. The ease with which lawfully purchased guns slip into the black market via undocumented private sales. The ease with which a nefarious or not buyer can jump from outlet to outlet buying as many guns as they want with no flag or notification with potentially the intent to sell them into the black market.

First, i dont support a gun registry. So fix your fucked brain NOW and your attack on me. Im just being non biased. You've got to review both sides honestly. Second, A registry would not gain value directly from having criminals register their guns. And it never claimed to. So your links are worthless. The value gained comes from pinpointing the person that was complicit in selling the guns into the black market and also complicit in bulk buying and trafficking. These last activities have been tirelessly protected by the gun lobby and their assault on all gun regulation. Its something that the gun lobby refuses to tackle in general because they love gun trafficking and the black markets, apparently.
it is none of the federal government business on firearm ownership, a firearm registry is absolutely unconstitutional. Jack weed
Dude. Just stop. If you don't understand "I don't support a gun registry." If that's too complicated to see next to what i posted..maybe this site is not for you. I hear there's a nice hello kitty site that might be more your speed.

The bias is ripe as usual, gun lovers.

Voter registry can be used to ensure Democrats do not continue to cheat in future elections.

Liberals, and potential future invading militaries, could use gun registries to confiscate firearms.

So how is a gun registry supposed to work when only people who don't break the law register their guns?

Guns do not start out being illegal. They become illegal when transferred to somebody who is not supposed to possess them.

By registering guns, and having to account for their disposal, you would know who the guns were transferred to, and then figure out if they had a legal right to possess them.
Enforce the laws on the books, new frivolous gun laws are unnecessary. A firearm registry is absolutely unconstitutional...
Criminals are called criminals because they perform criminal behavior thus, they do not obey laws. Jack weed
The laws on the books have been systematically weakened to the point of obvious ineffectiveness by the gun lobby. It's no secret. It's their motto and is pretty clearly evidenced.

What does this mean for the laws and enforcement? Nothing good. Like I laid out earlier, it's easy for buyers to purchase and sell into the black market. If you don't believe me, try looking it up rather than covering your ears and eyes and shouting fake news.
I have been selling firearms and ammo for 20+ years, the straw buyer argument holds no water. Most Firearms used in violent crime are stolen and/or come from south of the border.
BTW, Most of my customers are military/police/firemen... all of which are against new frivolous gun laws.

Dude. Just stop. If you don't understand "I don't support a gun registry." If that's too complicated to see next to what i posted..maybe this site is not for you. I hear there's a nice hello kitty site that might be more your speed.

The bias is ripe as usual, gun lovers.
Says the anti-gun nutter...

How have they been weakened dipshit? Throwing that out, straight from your ass is meaningless....the problem is democrats keep letting violent criminals back onto the streets...including the same people you want arrested for trafficking in guns...

Notice who is trying to keep gun criminals in jail...the NRA...

California Democrats hate the gun, not the gunman – Orange County Register

Now that Democrats have supermajorities in the California state Legislature, they’ve rolled into Sacramento with a zest for lowering the state’s prison population and have interpreted St. Augustine’s words of wisdom to mean, “Hate the gun, not the gunman.”

I say this because, once they finally took a break from preaching about the benefits of stricter gun control, the state Senate voted to loosen sentencing guidelines for criminals convicted of gun crimes.

Currently, California law requires anyone who uses a gun while committing a felony to have their sentence increased by 10 years or more in prison — on top of the normal criminal penalty. If enacted, Senate Bill 620 would eliminate that mandate.

The bill, which passed on a 22-14 party-line vote, with support only from Democrats, now heads to the state Assembly for consideration.

Republicans and the National Rifle Association have vowed to campaign against it.

Why have Democrats suddenly developed a soft spot for criminals convicted of gun crimes? The bill’s author, state Sen. Steve Bradford, D-Gardena, says that he was motivated to write the bill after a 17-year-old riding in a car involved in a drive-by shooting was sentenced to 25 years in prison, even though he claims that he wasn’t the one who pulled the trigger.

and for all those anti-gunners who want to know where criminals get guns....well...this law lowers the prison time for those who give guns to criminals.....

Why is that?

Prop. 57, for example, very deceptively and fundamentally changed the definition of what constitutes a “non-violent” offense.

supplying a firearm to a gang member,

l
felon obtaining a firearm,

discharging a firearm on school grounds

How?

Any type of firearm registry of any sort is absolutely unconstitutional… So go back and hide in your mothers basement little Nutter....

It's an analogy jackass. Auto registrations have all but eliminated auto theft .
Vehicle ownership is not a right… Jack weed

Mandatory storage laws are UnConstitutional as per the D.C. v. Heller decision......

The law was upheld by both the district court and the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals. In upholding the law, the Ninth Circuit recognized that unlike the District of Columbia law at issue in Heller v. District of Columbia,44 the San Francisco ordinance does not prohibit a person from carrying a loaded handgun while in his or her home.

It is not the federal government's business... you anti-gun nutters need to control your cowardice

US v Miller.

You REALLY WANT to DO that??? Ok if you have ever had a dui you cant purchase a car, If you have ever been in an accident you cant purchase a car. If you have ever been CHARGED WITH domestic violence or spousal abuse, you may use your car to go to her house and you can't purchase a car. Before you can purchase a car they will do a background check and if you have ever had a serious moving violation, say failure to stop, reckless driving, NO insurance, and a host of other violations you will be denied the privilege of owning a car OR obtaining a drivers license. All dealers will be required to fill out a form that gives a complete background before you can purchase a car, and there will be a fifteen day waiting period in quite a few states before you can get your car. If you are convicted of ANY felony you cant own any car and you must surrender your cars to some government agency. To be able to drive your car in any area around a church, school, or any area where large groups of people gather you will have to have a background check that is the same as an applicant for a job with the FBI and your permit to do so will be reviewed by the current holder of the highest law enforcement office locally before it is issued. WANT MORE STUPID LIBERAL? Having a drivers license is not a CONSTITUTIONALLY PROTECTED right it IS a privilege according to most issuing agencies.

You are right , we have 2nd protection. So why the freak out over "gun confiscation " when that would be blatently illegal ?

How?

Vehicle ownership is not a right… Jack weed

Could I not be clearer on an analogy of a successful system . Which by the way doesn't hinder your right to own guns.

How?

Are you A stupid son of a bitch? Most firearms used in violent crimes are stolen and/or come from south of the border. You can take your gun registry and shove it up your ass cause it's absolutely unconstitutional… lol

Bullshit . They aren't stolen . They are easily sold on the grey market and the sellers wipe their hands clean and claim theft .

Funny how people get guns to stop theives, but then all their guns get stolen !? How ironic .
Wrong, criminals with stolen firearms do the majority of violent crime in urban areas that happen the have the strictest gun laws... fact
People kill people not firearms… Quit falling down the well

This brand new emphasis to stop any and all voter fraud across the nation by the Federal gov'mint gathering ALL State voter information and making that registry public just might be a solution to get rid of some of that type of lawless activity! Yes, if dealt with correctly and not used for nefarious purposes like voter suppression or intimidation, it could be a good thing to cleanup all of those dozens of voter fraud incidents every decade across the Nation!

That call for voter information got me to thinking if it might not be appropriate to do exactly the same for those gun owners out there to register all their various firearms, with all the data per weapon, location, rounds per weapon on hand, rounds fired per week, all licensing data, etc, etc, with the Federal gov,mint and make that National Gun Registry just as public and transparent as the National Voter Registry.

If a National Voter Registry can reduce the incidence of voter fraud just by being compiled and made public, then a National Gun Registry could reduce violent gun crime and death to innocent voters by being compiled and made public, too! Hey...same logic right? Imagine the lives that could be saved of voters walking to the polls in Chicago!

What could possibly go wrong with both of those plans being implemented?

Damn, I bet that bullshit sounded a lot better in your head. No one is taking about a national voter registry, at best the information requested would provide a snapshot of States voter registries. Also no one is talking about making the information public, although most of it already is.

Explosives are not protected by the 2nd Amendment. We know what you are, we know what you goal is.....we aren't going to put up with it.

That's where the NRA messed up. If they went for the "well regulated militia" argument, people would be allowed to buy machine guns and hand grenades.

Forum List

Back