AOC says "We’re not going back to working 70 hour weeks"

Even when I worked mandatory OT (back when Obama was destroying the healthcare industry and we were transitioning/ covering lost jobs). It was only 5 hrs a week. Anything more than that was voluntary.

Now my new place of employment has an on going OT freeze and has had this for over 6 years (same reason).

I’m sure this will be the new normal. Probably along with staff / hour reductions.

AOC can shove it

She can get back to Mexico.

I don't think she's ever actually been to Mexico.

AOC is of Puerto Rican descent and is from New York City...

Exactly.
A spoiled rich brat of privilege.

That comment demonstrates that it's clear you don't really know the first thing about her...

Well, y'know, except for her history and her character.

Exactly.

That comment demonstrates that it's clear you don't really know the first thing about her...

Anyone who'd refer to AOC as "a spoiled rich brat of privilege" doesn't know the first thing about her. AOC was far from rich and spoiled growing up.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending AOC. I just believe that if someone wants to impart valid criticism of her, the first thing that the substance of that valid criticism needs to be is true...

“When we have this discussion about going back or reopening, I think a lot people should just say ‘no, we’re not going back to that.’ We’re not going back to working 70 hour weeks just so that we can put food on the table and not even feel any sort of semblance of security in our lives,” Ocasio-Cortez finished.
Who in the hell works 70 hours a week?!!!

Average Hours per Week Worked (US)
Age 16-19: 24.1
Age 20-24: 34.8
Age 25-54: 40.5
55 and Over: 38.0

FACTS.. AOC... FACTS....Do you see the average hours being 70 hours a week!!!

Furthermore, are people actually working “60, 70, 80” hours per week?
The BLS defines full-time workers as those working at least 35 hours per week.
Those working 60 or more hours are workers with two full time jobs, a full time and part time job,
or two part-time jobs that are nearly full-time.
Data show that, among workers with multiple jobs, the vast majority are managing either one full-time job and a secondary part-time job or two part-time jobs. Only a tiny fraction (4 percent) work two full-time jobs.
If we extrapolate their average daily work hours to a full week, multiple jobholders work an average of 42.95 hours per five-day workweek,
relative to 39.7 hours for single jobholders, though they are also more likely to work on the weekends.

Study: People Claiming to Work More Than 70 Hours a Week Are Totally Lying, Probably
Not only that, but the more hours that people work, the more they exaggerate. Americans who say they work 75 hours a week tend to be exaggerating by 25 hours. (The average American work week in September was 34.5 hours, according to the BLS.)

SO...AOC... who is working 70 hours a week? How many Americans work 70 hours a week?
Or is this just more BULLSHIT!!!

Salaried employees do.

Sadly I know a few.

Exactly.

Anyone who'd refer to AOC as "a spoiled rich brat of privilege" doesn't know the first thing about her. AOC was far from rich and spoiled growing up.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending AOC. I just believe that if someone wants to impart valid criticism of her, the first thing that the substance of that valid criticism needs to be is true...

Sweetie, I can HEAR her and her entitled, ignorant-of-the-real-world mentality. Maybe YOU need someone to show you a Certificate of Spoiled Privilege; most of us can apply common sense.

Furthermore, contrary to her "official" life story, she grew up in Westchester. I can't afford to live in Westchester; can you? She likes to BS about "girl from the Bronx", but she was only born there. She didn't grow up there. I was born in Indiana, but since my family moved when I was 8 years old, I don't run around calling myself a Midwest girl.

Exactly.

Call her whatever you want, but an American, she is not.

Pretty much any 3rd world country she will feel right at home in. More shithole the better.

“When we have this discussion about going back or reopening, I think a lot people should just say ‘no, we’re not going back to that.’ We’re not going back to working 70 hour weeks just so that we can put food on the table and not even feel any sort of semblance of security in our lives,” Ocasio-Cortez finished.

Those working 60 or more hours are workers with two full time jobs, a full time and part time job,
Data show that, among workers with multiple jobs, the vast majority are managing either one full-time job and a secondary part-time job or two part-time jobs. Only a tiny fraction (4 percent) work two full-time jobs.
If we extrapolate their average daily work hours to a full week, multiple jobholders work an average of 42.95 hours per five-day workweek,
relative to 39.7 hours for single jobholders, though they are also more likely to work on the weekends.

Study: People Claiming to Work More Than 70 Hours a Week Are Totally Lying, Probably
Not only that, but the more hours that people work, the more they exaggerate. Americans who say they work 75 hours a week tend to be exaggerating by 25 hours. (The average American work week in September was 34.5 hours, according to the BLS.)

SO...AOC... who is working 70 hours a week? How many Americans work 70 hours a week?

Salaried employees do.

Sadly I know a few.

Someone forcing them to keep that job, though?

Exactly.

Pretty much any 3rd world country she will feel right at home in. More shithole the better.

She's every bit an American as you or I. Any meaningful criticism of the woman has to start with that understanding...

Exactly.

She's every bit an American as you or I. Any meaningful criticism of the woman has to start with that understanding...

Like a man is every bit as woman as a woman?

Sorry, not everyone participates in liberal games. She is not one bit American, certainly nowhere near my level of Americanism, maybe yours.

Anti-American fuck up is what she is.

Salaried employees do.

Sadly I know a few.

Someone forcing them to keep that job, though?

No - it's what they do!

Our Congress and House of Reps should be working a minimum of 70 hours a week instead of being on vacation all the damn time!

Exactly.

Her father was the President /Founder of an architectural firm.

“Sergio Ocasio founded a company called Kirschenbaum Ocasio-Roman Pc. A Chamber of Commerce listing gives the company’s address as 1510 Archer Road, Apt TB in The Bronx, New York. That same Chamber of Commerce listing says that the business had a sales volume of 500,000 and employed six people.”

Yep...sales of a half million dollars a year.

Spoiled brat of privilege.

Furthermore, contrary to her "official" life story, she grew up in Westchester. I can't afford to live in Westchester; can you?

Actually, yeah, I can.

AOC's family, though, couldn't. They had financial problems for the majority of the time they were in Westchester.

And Yorktown Heights (the town in Westchester where she grew up) isn't really a garden spot. It's probably more like Yonkers than it is Croton-on-Hudson. The family's 961 sqft, three bedroom, one bath starter home was purchased for $153,000. That's not a lot of money. I was still in the Navy (making a lot less than an architect) when I bought my first home in San Diego for $198,500.

AOC did not lead a life of privilege or a life of being spoiled...

Well, Truck drivers work a 70-hour week. But other than that, anyone working more than 45 hours a week is doing so on a voluntary basis.

If yo have to work 70 hours a week just to feed yourself, you're doing it wrong.

But truck drivers don't drive 70 hours in a week!

You may be expected to work up to 70 hours over an eight-day period. (8 days divided into 70 hours is 8.75 hours a day!)
After you've worked for 70 hours, you cannot drive again until you take a full 34 hours off duty.
The 70-hour limit could be reached by working 14-hour days, but you cannot drive for more than 11 hours in a day. You must conclude your "Hours of Service" with a 10-hour break.
FACTS FACTS FACTS!

I will be mildly surprised if AOC has ever worked a 70 hour week in her life. I have worked my fair share of overtime over the years but I never racked up 30 hours of it in one week.

Exactly.

Her father was the President /Founder of an architectural firm.

“Sergio Ocasio founded a company called Kirschenbaum Ocasio-Roman Pc. A Chamber of Commerce listing gives the company’s address as 1510 Archer Road, Apt TB in The Bronx, New York. That same Chamber of Commerce listing says that the business had a sales volume of 500,000 and employed six people.”

Yep...sales of a half million dollars a year.

Spoiled brat of privilege.

Sure, they had an office and employees. AOC's father and his business partner were also hit with two separate liens for failure to pay more than a year’s worth of common charges on their office space. That's not the earmark of a successful company.

And $500,000 in sales in nothing. It's almost embarrassingly low. But, even if it was meaningful, that money would've had to go to overhead and salaries, not into the pockets of AOC's father. I have a buddy who owns a landscape company here in town. Last year his revenue was just over $4,000,000 gross. He drives a 2014 Nissan Altima and his kids go to public school. He lives in a 3br/2ba house that's about 1,900 square feet and he's got a mortgage.

You come across as someone who's had little growing up. Hey, my Dad was a truck driver, so I know what it's like to do without sometimes, and it definitely sucked. But, unlike you, I went out and made something of myself and now enjjoy a very comfortable level of success. From all indications, you're just still jealous of those who have what you don't...

Forum List

Back