AOC says "We’re not going back to working 70 hour weeks"

“When we have this discussion about going back or reopening, I think a lot people should just say ‘no, we’re not going back to that.’ We’re not going back to working 70 hour weeks just so that we can put food on the table and not even feel any sort of semblance of security in our lives,” Ocasio-Cortez finished.
Who in the hell works 70 hours a week?!!!

Average Hours per Week Worked (US)
Age 16-19: 24.1
Age 20-24: 34.8
Age 25-54: 40.5
55 and Over: 38.0

FACTS.. AOC... FACTS....Do you see the average hours being 70 hours a week!!!

Furthermore, are people actually working “60, 70, 80” hours per week?
The BLS defines full-time workers as those working at least 35 hours per week.
Those working 60 or more hours are workers with two full time jobs, a full time and part time job,
or two part-time jobs that are nearly full-time.
Data show that, among workers with multiple jobs, the vast majority are managing either one full-time job and a secondary part-time job or two part-time jobs. Only a tiny fraction (4 percent) work two full-time jobs.
If we extrapolate their average daily work hours to a full week, multiple jobholders work an average of 42.95 hours per five-day workweek,
relative to 39.7 hours for single jobholders, though they are also more likely to work on the weekends.

Study: People Claiming to Work More Than 70 Hours a Week Are Totally Lying, Probably
Not only that, but the more hours that people work, the more they exaggerate. Americans who say they work 75 hours a week tend to be exaggerating by 25 hours. (The average American work week in September was 34.5 hours, according to the BLS.)

SO...AOC... who is working 70 hours a week? How many Americans work 70 hours a week?
Or is this just more BULLSHIT!!!

Yeah, there are people who work 70 hours a week. Most are CEOs, and all of them do so because they want to. Of course she hates CEOs... but whatever.

I've worked 70 hours a week.... to pay off some debts and bills I had decades ago. Then I quit.

AOC and reality.... the non-stop disconnect.
You're lucky.
There are people across our fruited plain living in Blue Cities, who for one reason or another cannot leave, who spend a lifetime working those hours.

The average person working in the food industry works 70 hours a week.
They also have little education and the food industry is 24/7.
I hope Liberals on Food Stamps and Welfare are prepared to pay a lot more for food.
I guess it would depend on what part of the food industry you are referring to? Most are lucky to get 40 hours...

Especially right now.
YOU were saying????
View attachment 327107

I said most are lucky to get 40 hours a week.

And I know this because my daughter works as a catering supervisor.

I hope Liberals on Food Stamps and Welfare are prepared to pay a lot more for food.
I guess it would depend on what part of the food industry you are referring to? Most are lucky to get 40 hours...

Especially right now.
YOU were saying????
View attachment 327107

I said most are lucky to get 40 hours a week.

And I know this because my daughter works as a catering supervisor.
Talk about insane working hours and meeting schedules.

In my industry we have machinists and welders that work 72-84 hours per week during the Nuclear outage season. They love it! Lots of money - Time and a half for 32 hours and 12 hours of double time on 7th day. They work hard, live hard and go home and have a lot of time for themselves and family in the summer and winter. If you were to take away a welding superintendent hours during outage season he would make about 80K per year. With current schedule they make about 230K/yr. AOC is really going to piss of a lot of blue collar workers. The live on overtime!

She's an idiot. 100% complete fucking idiot in my estimation.

“When we have this discussion about going back or reopening, I think a lot people should just say ‘no, we’re not going back to that.’ We’re not going back to working 70 hour weeks just so that we can put food on the table and not even feel any sort of semblance of security in our lives,” Ocasio-Cortez finished.

Those working 60 or more hours are workers with two full time jobs, a full time and part time job,
Data show that, among workers with multiple jobs, the vast majority are managing either one full-time job and a secondary part-time job or two part-time jobs. Only a tiny fraction (4 percent) work two full-time jobs.
If we extrapolate their average daily work hours to a full week, multiple jobholders work an average of 42.95 hours per five-day workweek,
relative to 39.7 hours for single jobholders, though they are also more likely to work on the weekends.

Study: People Claiming to Work More Than 70 Hours a Week Are Totally Lying, Probably
Not only that, but the more hours that people work, the more they exaggerate. Americans who say they work 75 hours a week tend to be exaggerating by 25 hours. (The average American work week in September was 34.5 hours, according to the BLS.)

SO...AOC... who is working 70 hours a week? How many Americans work 70 hours a week?

The most hours I worked in a week was 80hrs but that was before Cortez was born...

Especially right now.
Now is a disaster.
I always say hello and thank you to the workers and I feel terrible about their current plight.
I purposely try to buy take out at least once ( if not twice a week) to support them as much as I can. Well...and tip well.

Especially right now.
YOU were saying????
View attachment 327107
Do you really believe these charts reflect reality!?

Yeah. Easily. I've worked several restaurants. Those graphs match up with my experience.

The only people who worked more than 40 hours, were managers.

The reason for this is obvious, or should be. Managers are paid a ton of money (which compares to their responsibility), and they have to run the operation.

Crew, which makes up the bulk of employees, which hold no responsibility, and are paid hourly, tend to work less than 40 hours a week.

The only exception to this, is usually shift managers. The shift managers are paid hourly, so they try and keep their over time low, but at the same time they are also in charge of the shift, and typically this means they end up being the "fill-in" for missing crew. Every employee that is sick, or often simply refuses to work, the shift manager ends up stepping in to take their place.

So compared to my 4 different retail jobs I have worked in the my life, this graph is dead on accurate.

The top manager or store owner, never worked less than 40 hours.... ever.
Top operation managers and so on, also rarely worked less than 40.
Shift managers and mid-level supervisors, worked more or less than 40, depending on employees showing up on-time, or missing work.
And basic employees... rarely is ever worked over 40. In fact, half rarely put in 40 hours.

So again.. yeah. I think the graph is dead on accurate.

Especially right now.
YOU were saying????
View attachment 327107
Do you really believe these charts reflect reality!?

Yeah. Easily. I've worked several restaurants. Those graphs match up with my experience.

The only people who worked more than 40 hours, were managers.

The reason for this is obvious, or should be. Managers are paid a ton of money (which compares to their responsibility), and they have to run the operation.

Crew, which makes up the bulk of employees, which hold no responsibility, and are paid hourly, tend to work less than 40 hours a week.

The only exception to this, is usually shift managers. The shift managers are paid hourly, so they try and keep their over time low, but at the same time they are also in charge of the shift, and typically this means they end up being the "fill-in" for missing crew. Every employee that is sick, or often simply refuses to work, the shift manager ends up stepping in to take their place.

So compared to my 4 different retail jobs I have worked in the my life, this graph is dead on accurate.

The top manager or store owner, never worked less than 40 hours.... ever.
Top operation managers and so on, also rarely worked less than 40.
Shift managers and mid-level supervisors, worked more or less than 40, depending on employees showing up on-time, or missing work.
And basic employees... rarely is ever worked over 40. In fact, half rarely put in 40 hours.

So again.. yeah. I think the graph is dead on accurate.
You also worked far away from NY, NJ, FL, CA and other major city where the average uneducated employee is treated like shit and can't afford an attorney to outsmart the attorney from the better university,

Especially right now.
Now is a disaster.
I always say hello and thank you to the workers and I feel terrible about their current plight.
I purposely try to buy take out at least once ( if not twice a week) to support them as much as I can. Well...and tip well.
I do the same...always a salad.

Where did you get your statement average person working in food industry works 70 hours/week???
Here are the FACTS and based on the FACTS you are an out right LIAR! Prove it that food industry works work 70 hours! Prove it!
Do you see the leisure and hospitality? 26.1 hours! In fact the only group working the most at 42.2 hrs is utilities!
View attachment 327099
What's funny about this is that everyone I know in any career requiring a advanced degree works at least 80 hours a week.
Don't believe reality matches "Offical" Government rules.
AGAIN what's funny is how many people is that? 10? 20? 100?
Bullshit! AGAIN subjective unqualified and totally irrelevant to what AOC stated. YES I can believe some worked 80 hours! I did when
I was in college. Worked several part time jobs. Went to class and studied for a couple. BUT that is the EXCEPTION! NOT the rule!
Please stop with the personal, subjective statements "80 hours a week" bullshit!
I worked on Wall Street and most of the guys and gals in the Synagogues in my community have advanced degrees...
They have always worked about 70-80 hours a week to make their 100K+ salaries + benefits.
Blue Collar workers have no choice and if they don'[t work the hours they get replaced.
I suggest you go out and take a real hard look because I know you're a hard core Conservative and you want to believe the US economic system is comprised of total justice.
It isn't.
I used to work for a heavy equipment manufacturer right after college. The laborers,machinists,welders etc worked 10 hr days starting at 5:00/6:00 am. With shorter hours during the summer ( too hot).

UM. 7/365 10-12 for 45 years must be offensive then ?
I always enjoyed it but the boss was/is a complete asshole. Every time I brush my teeth I wanna kill the guy.
BRB. Squeegee time in the pens
I work 70 hours a week pretty regularly... What’s the problem?

Where did you get your statement average person working in food industry works 70 hours/week???
Here are the FACTS and based on the FACTS you are an out right LIAR! Prove it that food industry works work 70 hours! Prove it!
Do you see the leisure and hospitality? 26.1 hours! In fact the only group working the most at 42.2 hrs is utilities!
View attachment 327099
What's funny about this is that everyone I know in any career requiring a advanced degree works at least 80 hours a week.
Bullshit! AGAIN subjective unqualified and totally irrelevant to what AOC stated. YES I can believe some worked 80 hours! I did when
I was in college. Worked several part time jobs. Went to class and studied for a couple. BUT that is the EXCEPTION! NOT the rule!
Please stop with the personal, subjective statements "80 hours a week" bullshit!
I worked on Wall Street and most of the guys and gals in the Synagogues in my community have advanced degrees...
They have always worked about 70-80 hours a week to make their 100K+ salaries + benefits.
Blue Collar workers have no choice and if they don'[t work the hours they get replaced.
I suggest you go out and take a real hard look because I know you're a hard core Conservative and you want to believe the US economic system is comprised of total justice.
It isn't.
I used to work for a heavy equipment manufacturer right after college. The laborers,machinists,welders etc worked 10 hr days starting at 5:00/6:00 am. With shorter hours during the summer ( too hot).
I have learned over the last 10 years that the real world one lives in depends upon the industry, the locale, the technology and the perceived markets.
These people work their lives away and no one appreciates the fact that the road they drive on and the building they work it relies on the skill and integrity of these people.
Well, after all, their not CEOs!
What the hell does a CEO do anayway?!

Here's the video. Turn the volume off and just watch her tantrum moves. Funnier than hell !

Last edited:

Yeah, there are people who work 70 hours a week. Most are CEOs, and all of them do so because they want to. Of course she hates CEOs... but whatever.

I've worked 70 hours a week.... to pay off some debts and bills I had decades ago. Then I quit.

You're lucky.
There are people across our fruited plain living in Blue Cities, who for one reason or another cannot leave, who spend a lifetime working those hours.

I don't believe you. Gotta be honest. I don't believe you.

In fact the only place I know of where people worked more than 40 hours, were two manufacturing companies that had overtime for a weekend shift. Even then, people openly said they applied for that job specifically because of the overtime.

I was at such a job. Worked there 6 months, and while they said over and over, mandatory over time, they never once had it.

So where are these poor enslaved souls that work 70 hours? Where? What evidence do you have to support such a claim?

More importantly, I had a job that was terrible. I came up with a novel solution. I quit. If you are working too much, why don't you quit?

And by the way, I do not accept "bills and debt" as a reason you can't quit. I have novel solution to that as well... cut the cable TV, cancel internet, turn off your phone. Magic.... bills go away. I know because I did this. Don't spend more money than you make, and you won't have debt. And yes you can do this.

So why don't they quit?

View attachment 327099
It isn't.
I have learned over the last 10 years that the real world one lives in depends upon the industry, the locale, the technology and the perceived markets.
These people work their lives away and no one appreciates the fact that the road they drive on and the building they work it relies on the skill and integrity of these people.
Well, after all, their not CEOs!
What the hell does a CEO do anayway?!

What do CEOs do? You don't know? They sign the deals, determine the direction of the company, come up with plans to make new products, refresh old products, and ultimately keep the entire country going.

What do you mean "what do CEOs do?" If you don't know, go learn something. Better yet, go start your own business, and when you are putting in 70 hours a week making that business successful, you'll know what a CEO does.

Dumb question...

Most (probably north of 95%) of people who work overtime want the hours. I worked my ass off and I had times where I was working more than 80 hrs a week. for two to three months at a time. Now? Retired at the age of 54. Boy was that a HUGE payoff. I have decades of golden years. All well financed by hard work.

Ya'll take the easy route and have people give you money for doing things that don't provide any value to productivity and see where this nation goes - right into the shitter. Productivity = Prosperity. The only thing that gets around that equation is automation. Someday when mankind has to do absolutely nothing for a job because everything is automated only then will we achieve a utopian socialist society. Until then, we need to move SLOWLY toward it. Otherwise, you tip the scales and everyone is living in shared misery.

You're lucky.

I don't believe you. Gotta be honest. I don't believe you.

In fact the only place I know of where people worked more than 40 hours, were two manufacturing companies that had overtime for a weekend shift. Even then, people openly said they applied for that job specifically because of the overtime.

I was at such a job. Worked there 6 months, and while they said over and over, mandatory over time, they never once had it.

So where are these poor enslaved souls that work 70 hours? Where? What evidence do you have to support such a claim?

More importantly, I had a job that was terrible. I came up with a novel solution. I quit. If you are working too much, why don't you quit?

And by the way, I do not accept "bills and debt" as a reason you can't quit. I have novel solution to that as well... cut the cable TV, cancel internet, turn off your phone. Magic.... bills go away. I know because I did this. Don't spend more money than you make, and you won't have debt. And yes you can do this.

So why don't they quit?
Gotta be honest...I don't care what you believe or think because you ain't been a slave in the Big Apple.
They's work you to death and fire your ass the second you showed the least aspiration to leave and then they'd give a review of you to any prospective employer that you interview well but you're a piece of shit once you're there.

What I really love about you're naiveity is that you think the media actually has web sites dedicated to this fact?
Who the hell do you think lives in the Black or Spanish Hood?

You work in the big city making a few hundred buck a week and it all goes to expenses.
So leave!
To where?
Why not simply thank God that you weren't brought up in one of those metropolises that treats people like shit!

Forum List

Back