Are atheists materialists?

• Yes

• No

• Maybe

• I don't know

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am more than happy for you to deny your own life experiences in believing that this life force you believe in isn't sentient. So, yeah... it kind of has.

Not at all. It still boils down to the fact that I do not believe in god, and that I believe in the incorporeal that did not originate in the corporeal. The first means I am an atheist. The second part means I am not a materialist.
I hope you won't mind it if I believe your beliefs are illogical because they are mutually exclusive :)

You are welcome to your beliefs, accuracy is not required.
The truth usually hurts before it helps.

Truth? That is not what you have been spouting?

And nothing in this thread has hurt. Help is not needed.
See post #219

Not at all. It still boils down to the fact that I do not believe in god, and that I believe in the incorporeal that did not originate in the corporeal. The first means I am an atheist. The second part means I am not a materialist.
I hope you won't mind it if I believe your beliefs are illogical because they are mutually exclusive :)

See post #219

There is no conflict in my mind. Perhaps, to you, not believing in God means only believing in the material. For me it does not.

I am not hurt and am not in need of help. My mind is just fine. Very good, in fact.

See post #219

There is no conflict in my mind. Perhaps, to you, not believing in God means only believing in the material. For me it does not.

I am not hurt and am not in need of help. My mind is just fine. Very good, in fact.
That would be one of the three options.

Please note the results of a 2005 poll of social values and ethics in Europe. The yellow bars represent people who do not believe there is any spirit, God or lifeforce, the dark blue bars represent the people who believe there is a God and the light blue bars represent people who believe in some sort of spirit or life force.

Wayback Machine

upload_2018-12-16_17-12-39.png

The yellow bars would be considered materialists and the dark blue and light blue bars would be considered spiritualists.

My point here is that even Europe realizes that atheists are not spiritualists. They literally had to create a middle ground between atheism and theism.

The distinction between belief in God and belief in spirit or life force is one of semantics. The distinction between materialism and spiritualism is not.

See post #219

Unless one of the three options is not believing in god, but believing that things incorporeal exist that did not originate in the corporeal, you have missed a valid option.

See post #219

Unless one of the three options is not believing in god, but believing that things incorporeal exist that did not originate in the corporeal, you have missed a valid option.
You should probably go back and reread post #219. It deals with how the human mind cannot live in conflict.

An important distinction to make between spiritualists who believe in spirits or a life force and atheists who believe that everything proceeded from the natural or material world is that spiritualists who believe in spirits or a life force must believe that the spirits or life force existed before the material world. Otherwise, they wouldn't be spiritualists they would be materialists because the spirits or life force would be a product of the material world.

An important distinction to make between spiritualists who believe in spirits or a life force and atheists who believe that everything proceeded from the natural or material world is that spiritualists who believe in spirits or a life force must believe that the spirits or life force existed before the material world. Otherwise, they wouldn't be spiritualists they would be materialists because the spirits or life force would be a product of the material world.
Does making shit up make you feel better?

See post #219

You should probably go back and reread post #219. It deals with how the human mind cannot live in conflict.

I read it. I have stated my belief and have no conflict.

So, in your opinion, all life force is eternal?

See post #219

Only time will tell.

You've already diametrically changed your position once before. ;)

I'd ask you where and when your life force originated but based on your previous answers I'd get an IDK.

Yes, logic requires it. It's the only solution to the first cause conundrum; something which is eternal and unchanging. Which means it cannot be corporeal. It must be no thing. Like consciousness.

This is an example of a basis for a belief.

I'd ask you where and when your life force originated but based on your previous answers I'd get an IDK.

Yes, logic requires it. It's the only solution to the first cause conundrum; something which is eternal and unchanging. Which means it cannot be corporeal. It must be no thing. Like consciousness.

Logic requires that all incorporeal things are eternal?

Only time will tell.

Indeed I have. Which makes your claims that I am afraid of something quite laughable.

Logic requires that all incorporeal things are eternal?
Logic requires the solution to the first cause conundrum to be eternal and unchanging.

Only time will tell.

Indeed I have. Which makes your claims that I am afraid of something quite laughable.
What did I say you were afraid of exactly?

It's called logic. Maybe you could show me what you disagree with.

I disagree with gobbledygook.

So you can’t explain why you believe it is gobbledygook?

So you can’t explain why you believe it is gobbledygook?
It's made up nonsense. Your usual.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back