Are atheists materialists?

• Yes

• No

• Maybe

• I don't know

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The atheist position that they aren't materialists is illogical. It's the in between view of Life-Force.

As C.S. Lewis put it, "...all the emotional comfort of believing in God and none of the less pleasant consequences. When you are feeling fit and the sun is shining and you do not want to believe that the whole universe is a mere mechanical dance of atoms, it is nice to be able to think of this great mysterious Force rolling on through the centuries and carrying you on its crest. If, on the other hand, you want to do something rather shabby, the Life-Force, being only a blind force, with no morals and no mind, will never interfere with you like that troublesome God we learned about when we were children. The Life-Force is a sort of tame God. You can switch it on when you want, but it will not bother you. All the thrills of religion and none of the cost. Is the Life-Force the greatest achievement of wishful thinking the world has yet seen?"

The atheist position that they aren't materialists is illogical. It's the in between view of Life-Force.

As C.S. Lewis put it, "...all the emotional comfort of believing in God and none of the less pleasant consequences. When you are feeling fit and the sun is shining and you do not want to believe that the whole universe is a mere mechanical dance of atoms, it is nice to be able to think of this great mysterious Force rolling on through the centuries and carrying you on its crest. If, on the other hand, you want to do something rather shabby, the Life-Force, being only a blind force, with no morals and no mind, will never interfere with you like that troublesome God we learned about when we were children. The Life-Force is a sort of tame God. You can switch it on when you want, but it will not bother you. All the thrills of religion and none of the cost. Is the Life-Force the greatest achievement of wishful thinking the world has yet seen?"

I prefer Tolkien.

As for my beliefs, the fact that I do not require proof or need to know the origins of the incorporeal, does not mean those beliefs are wrong or that I secretly believe in God.
So you are taking it on faith that a life force exists independent of the material world. Sounds like a religion to me.

Not at all. And if it were a religion, that would change nothing about what I said. There are religions which do not believe in a god.
Let's see. You take it on faith there is a life force. You believe this life force does not originate from material beings. What am I missing?

The point.

He is soooo annoying. :102:

I prefer Tolkien.
He was a devout Catholic. The Lord of the Rings Trilogy is a Christian allegory.

Because I believe. And that answer is as valid as your answer of "I can prove it to myself, but I cannot prove it to you" when asked for proof of the existence of God.
So you don't know where the life force resides.

You don't know how you know it doesn't originate from the corporeal.

But you know it doesn't originate from the corporeal.

You don't know why you believe it exists.

You just believe it exists, right?

Do you have complete trust that it exists?

I believe it exists. Isn't that enough for the purposes of this discussion?

You cannot prove the existence of God, and yet your entire belief system depends on it.
Actually no it's not. My argument is that those beliefs are incongruent.

I don't think they can be logically proven.

If the reasons for that belief cannot even be listed, it literally proves my point.

No, it does not prove your point. Being an atheist simply means I do not believe in god. It does not mean I do not believe in spiritual things even. My case in point was Buddhism. Buddhists are very spiritual, but do not believe in any god, as such.
Then list all the reasons you believe a life force exists. I don't believe you can list one thing.

Your delusions are irrelevant. WinterBorn's point stands. You are wrong.

I prefer Tolkien.
C.S. Lewis and J.R. Tolkien were friends. In fact it was Tolkien who played a large role in converting Lewis from atheism to Christianity. They had a falling out of sorts when Lewis chose to be a Protestant rather than a Catholic.

So you don't know where the life force resides.

You don't know how you know it doesn't originate from the corporeal.

But you know it doesn't originate from the corporeal.

You don't know why you believe it exists.

You just believe it exists, right?

Do you have complete trust that it exists?

I believe it exists. Isn't that enough for the purposes of this discussion?

You cannot prove the existence of God, and yet your entire belief system depends on it.
Actually no it's not. My argument is that those beliefs are incongruent.

I don't think they can be logically proven.

If the reasons for that belief cannot even be listed, it literally proves my point.

No, it does not prove your point. Being an atheist simply means I do not believe in god. It does not mean I do not believe in spiritual things even. My case in point was Buddhism. Buddhists are very spiritual, but do not believe in any god, as such.
Then list all the reasons you believe a life force exists. I don't believe you can list one thing.

Your delusions are irrelevant. WinterBorn's point stands. You are wrong.
Objective truth is not decided by a popularity contest. It is discovered.

I prefer Tolkien.
He was a devout Catholic. The Lord of the Rings Trilogy is a Christian allegory.

I've read The Sillmarillion, don't fret.

You're too dogmatic.

I prefer Tolkien.

You're too dogmatic.
I'm actually the least dogmatic Christian I know. But thanks for sharing. ;)

Too late the trap has been sprung.

LMAO!! Trap? No junior. No trap has been sprung.
I am more than happy for you to deny your own life experiences in believing that this life force you believe in isn't sentient. So, yeah... it kind of has.

Not at all. It still boils down to the fact that I do not believe in god, and that I believe in the incorporeal that did not originate in the corporeal. The first means I am an atheist. The second part means I am not a materialist.

I am more than happy for you to deny your own life experiences in believing that this life force you believe in isn't sentient. So, yeah... it kind of has.

Not at all. It still boils down to the fact that I do not believe in god, and that I believe in the incorporeal that did not originate in the corporeal. The first means I am an atheist. The second part means I am not a materialist.
I hope you won't mind it if I believe your beliefs are illogical because they are mutually exclusive :)

The atheist position that they aren't materialists is illogical.

There's no 'atheist position'. You're hell bent on defining atheism as a religion, or a group with some unified agenda, but it's a silly mission. Atheist aren't your enemies. They just don't believe in gods.

I hope you won't mind it if I believe your beliefs are illogical because they are mutually exclusive :)

You are welcome to your beliefs, accuracy is not required.

I prefer Tolkien.
C.S. Lewis and J.R. Tolkien were friends. In fact it was Tolkien who played a large role in converting Lewis from atheism to Christianity. They had a falling out of sorts when Lewis chose to be a Protestant rather than a Catholic.

Do you seriously think I don't know about The Inklings?

I've had lunch in the back room of the pub in Oxford, where they used to assemble after university lectures, to discuss their writings.

That room has been preserved how it was, to this day.

I prefer Tolkien.

You're too dogmatic.

I can't get a handle on what you are talking about.

Nothing to get my teeth into.

I prefer Tolkien.

You're too dogmatic.

Did you read the OP?

I prefer Tolkien.

You're too dogmatic.

Did you read the OP?

It said Ding.

I prefer Tolkien.

Do you seriously think I don't know about The Inklings?

I've had lunch in the back room of the pub in Oxford, where they used to assemble after university lectures, to discuss their writings.

That room has been preserved how it was, to this day.
Then you know what I wrote about them is true. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back