Are atheists materialists?

• Yes

• No

• Maybe

• I don't know

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
the mover of a soul which animates the soul is inconsistent with atheism.
I know you don't.

And yet, you insist that you are "planting seeds" that you think will change my beliefs. You insist on labeling my beliefs.

Of course, I understand why you do it. You have made several blanket statements that you want to apply to all atheists. My beliefs do not fit those blanket statements. And rather than admit your claims do not fit, you try to make the claim that I am not an atheist.
I believe that if one believes that there is a mover of their soul which animates their soul they are not atheists.

Have I said that I believe that?
Did you say you didn’t?

Oh, so absent my actually SAYING it, you assume that which is less likely to be the view of the average atheist.

Did you ask? Or did you just decide?
You didn’t know where your lifeforce came from or how you knew you had one.

And yet, you insist that you are "planting seeds" that you think will change my beliefs. You insist on labeling my beliefs.

Of course, I understand why you do it. You have made several blanket statements that you want to apply to all atheists. My beliefs do not fit those blanket statements. And rather than admit your claims do not fit, you try to make the claim that I am not an atheist.
I believe that if one believes that there is a mover of their soul which animates their soul they are not atheists.

Did you say you didn’t?

Oh, so absent my actually SAYING it, you assume that which is less likely to be the view of the average atheist.

You said, "I believe that if one believes that there is a mover of their soul which animates their soul they are not atheists". If I said I didn't know where the life force came from, or how I knew I had one, how did I say a mover of my soul animates my soul?

Because I think it is illogical for people who don't believe in a God to believe in a life force that is a spirit that animates their soul?
Consider this, believers in God have PERSONIFIED the spiritual, whereas believers in a life force have not.
What is a “life force”? The energy part of mass?
Do you believe someone who has a lifeforce is an atheist?
You said no one knows what it is, so why are you asking me about it?

Where does that consciousness come from?
Physical awareness.
Then you are a materialist like WB.

How am I a materialist? Have you changed the definition you originally posted?
How are you not one?

YOu defined materialism as "Materialism is a form of philosophical monism which holds that matter is the fundamental substance in nature, and that all things, including mental aspects and consciousness, are results of material interactions". Does that fit my beliefs as I have stated them?

Did you say you didn’t?

You said, "I believe that if one believes that there is a mover of their soul which animates their soul they are not atheists". If I said I didn't know where the life force came from, or how I knew I had one, how did I say a mover of my soul animates my soul?
You didn’t. But you can’t say it doesn’t because you don’t know jack shit about except that you have one. What you did say however is that you knew it did not come from the material world.

Because I think it is illogical for people who don't believe in a God to believe in a life force that is a spirit that animates their soul?
Consider this, believers in God have PERSONIFIED the spiritual, whereas believers in a life force have not.

He is trying to get people to saying I am not an atheist. As if the opinions of others change what I am. I do not believe in any god or deity.

Did you say you didn’t?

You didn’t. But you can’t say it doesn’t because you don’t know jack shit about except that you have one. What you did say however is that you knew it did not come from the material world.

I said what I believe. Since none of that can be proven, belief is all there is. And I have stated my beliefs repeatedly. You simply choose to ignore them.

I have said I believe in the incorporeal, and that I believe, at least part of, the incorporeal did not originate in the corporeal. That is my belief. Does that fit your definition of a materialist?

Where does that consciousness come from?
Physical awareness.

How are you not one?

YOu defined materialism as "Materialism is a form of philosophical monism which holds that matter is the fundamental substance in nature, and that all things, including mental aspects and consciousness, are results of material interactions". Does that fit my beliefs as I have stated them?
No because you have repeatedly said you believe that there are incorporeal things which did not come from the corporeal such as your lifeforce that you don’t know what it is or where it came from or how you know you have one. You are one confused puppy.

He is trying to get people to saying I am not an atheist. As if the opinions of others change what I am. I do not believe in any god or deity.
I am asking people if they believe an atheist can believe that they can have a lifeforce that did not originate from the material world.

Did you say you didn’t?

I said what I believe. Since none of that can be proven, belief is all there is. And I have stated my beliefs repeatedly. You simply choose to ignore them.

I have said I believe in the incorporeal, and that I believe, at least part of, the incorporeal did not originate in the corporeal. That is my belief. Does that fit your definition of a materialist?
Which is exactly as I have portrayed it.

Physical awareness.

How are you not one?

No because you have repeatedly said you believe that there are incorporeal things which did not come from the corporeal such as your lifeforce that you don’t know what it is or where it came from or how you know you have one. You are one confused puppy.

Not at all. I am simply willing to admit that I do not know. If you claim to know, you are confusing knowing with believing.

Is it? Is saying that I have said I have a soul and that there is a mover that animates my soul not what you have portrayed? And that is certainly not what I have said.

Or is it like you claiming to have used my words verbatim? In otherwords, a lie.

I am asking people if they believe an atheist can believe that they can have a lifeforce that did not originate from the material world.

I am an atheist. And I have said I believe that. Isn't that an answer to your question?

Is it? Is saying that I have said I have a soul and that there is a mover that animates my soul not what you have portrayed? And that is certainly not what I have said.

Or is it like you claiming to have used my words verbatim? In otherwords, a lie.
You never said you didn’t have a soul. You said you had a lifeforce. Care to explain the difference?

I am an atheist. And I have said I believe that. Isn't that an answer to your question?
Who believes he has a lifeforce that did not originate from the material world.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back