Are We Living George Orwell's '1984?' It Sure looks Like It...

Dschrute3

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2016
Massive domestic surveillance on Citizens, and Permanent War? If you haven't read Orwell's '1984', i strongly urge you do so. The man was incredibly brilliant. What are your thoughts?

Last edited:
Massive domestic surveillance on Citizens, and Permanent War? If you haven't read Orwell's '1984', i strongly urge you to do so. The man was incredibly brilliant. What are your thoughts?
I had to read it too many times in school. I think some of his points were good, but quite obviously the government can't control anything, including itself, so the thing that has saved humankind in every nasty situation so far has happened once again: human fallibility.

Massive domestic surveillance on Citizens, and Permanent War? If you haven't read Orwell's '1984', i strongly urge you to do so. The man was incredibly brilliant. What are your thoughts?
I had to read it too many times in school. I think some of his points were good, but quite obviously the government can't control anything, including itself, so the thing that has saved humankind in every nasty situation so far has happened once again: human fallibility.

I don't know, this massive surveillance and Permanent War stuff really does look like what he described. Pretty disturbing.

Massive domestic surveillance on Citizens, and Permanent War? If you haven't read Orwell's '1984', i strongly urge you do so. The man was incredibly brilliant. What are your thoughts?
1984 was baby shit compared to what is happening now

I don't know, this massive surveillance and Permanent War stuff really does look like what he described. Pretty disturbing.
The Permanent War stuff, I agree it seems that way. The massive surveillance stuff though? No one is being arrested or tortured for disagreeing with the government--at least no one I know of. I don't think the government is paying much attention to most of us, to be honest. They obviously suck at controlling us.

The Permanent War stuff, I agree it seems that way. The massive surveillance stuff though? No one is being arrested or tortured for disagreeing with the government--at least no one I know of. I don't think the government is paying much attention to most of us, to be honest. They obviously suck at controlling us.
What planet are you on................Planet Mary Poppins I assume

With all due respect just because you don't "think" they aren't doesn't mean they aren't. They suck up every post, every tweet, every email, every phone call. They've built facilities to store all of this and it just isn't us, it's world wide.

Wars that never end, and rapidly expanding Government surveillance on Citizens? Sounds like Orwell did nail it.

Wars that never end, and rapidly expanding Government surveillance on Citizens? Sounds like Orwell did nail it.
The thing is that Orwell could not imagine the internet or digital communications or even DNA storage that could store the entire library of Congress on part of a small thumb drive, with the rest of the drive containing every phone call and email

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2012/08/dna-ultimate-hard-drive

They live and they are watching

Maybe more to the point, what planet are YOU on, where the government is using surveillance to control and punish you? Have you READ 1984? It is a diatribe against the USSR and their nasty tactics. That is not the country I live in. Nor will I. You guys digging down into your bunkers with your dehydrated foods? Play your games. But don't call ME the one on a different planet.

Wake up and smell the coffee, gentlemen. Technological capabilities do not HAVE to be misused to take a people's liberty away. Maybe that's one thing that still makes us semi-great.

The thing is that Orwell could not imagine the internet or digital communications or even DNA storage that could store the entire library of Congress on part of a small thumb drive, with the rest of the drive containing every phone call and email

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2012/08/dna-ultimate-hard-drive

They live and they are watching

Great observation. The Police State will likely be even more thorough with its evil. Even Orwell didn't see that.

The federal government fucks everything up it touches...

Maybe more to the point, what planet are YOU on, where the government is using surveillance to control and punish you? Have you READ 1984? It is a diatribe against the USSR and their nasty tactics. That is not the country I live in. Nor will I. You guys digging down into your bunkers with your dehydrated foods? Play your games. But don't call ME the one on a different planet.

Wake up and smell the coffee, gentlemen. Technological capabilities do not HAVE to be misused to take a people's liberty away. Maybe that's one thing that still makes us semi-great.

Lady 1984 is fiction and a book...........................The NSA is real.

Now go fly away on your umbrella because you have no clue.

Bye the way for those of you who use the Google App to search the internet, Google has every search that you ever made recorded, and you can even listen to yourself before you delete it. But you can not delete the NSA version.

Next

I'll keep saying it, the truth is out there. It isn't pretty and it isn't nice, but it's there.

"Technological capabilities do not HAVE to be misused to take a people's liberty away. Maybe that's one thing that still makes us semi-great"

But they indeed are.

"
Utah Data Center Technical Specifications

Data Storage Capacity
In February 2012, Utah Governor Gary R. Herbert revealed that the Utah Data Center would be the "
first facility in the world expected to gather and house a yottabyte". Since then, conflicting media reports have also estimated our storage capacity in terms of zettabytes and exabytes. While the actual capacity is classified for NATIONAL SECURITY REASONS, we can say this: The Utah Data Center was built with future expansion in mind and the ultimate capacity will definitely be "alottabytes"!

The steady rise in available computer power and the development of novel computer platforms will enable us to easily turn the huge volume of incoming data into an asset to be exploited, for the good of the nation.

Learn more about the domestic surveillance data we process and store in the Utah Data Center. Also, view our strategy for using the PRISM data collection program, nationwide intercept stations, and the "Boundless Informant" mapping tool to gather and track this data. "

NSA Utah Data Center - Serving Our Nation's Intelligence Community

I'll keep saying it, the truth is out there. It isn't pretty and it isn't nice, but it's there.

"Technological capabilities do not HAVE to be misused to take a people's liberty away. Maybe that's one thing that still makes us semi-great"

But they indeed are.

"
Utah Data Center Technical Specifications

Data Storage Capacity
In February 2012, Utah Governor Gary R. Herbert revealed that the Utah Data Center would be the "first facility in the world expected to gather and house a yottabyte". Since then, conflicting media reports have also estimated our storage capacity in terms of zettabytes and exabytes. While the actual capacity is classified for NATIONAL SECURITY REASONS, we can say this: The Utah Data Center was built with future expansion in mind and the ultimate capacity will definitely be "alottabytes"!

The steady rise in available computer power and the development of novel computer platforms will enable us to easily turn the huge volume of incoming data into an asset to be exploited, for the good of the nation.

Learn more about the domestic surveillance data we process and store in the Utah Data Center. Also, view our strategy for using the PRISM data collection program, nationwide intercept stations, and the "Boundless Informant" mapping tool to gather and track this data. "

NSA Utah Data Center - Serving Our Nation's Intelligence Community

When synthetic DNA storage becomes viable, and Microsoft is working on this now, then the amount of data that can be stored is unlimited, and oddly enough all the data in the world would fit on a large hard drive. This will make hard drives obsolete as the hard drive will be a microscopic chip on the motherboard that you could never fill up, ever

With all due respect just because you don't "think" they aren't doesn't mean they aren't. They suck up every post, every tweet, every email, every phone call. They've built facilities to store all of this and it just isn't us, it's world wide.

even if they suck up every post, tweet, etc., I don't think they have the people to read all that stuff that goes to storage.

Forum List

Back