Army Clears Bowe Bergdahl of Misconduct. Really?

Bergdahl_Served_Honor.jpg

U.S. Army Hawk Home Page

Code of Conduct for the United States Military

The Code of Conduct for Members of the United States Armed Forces Article 1 really says it all. The Code of Conduct is the same for the Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force and Coast Guard.

1. I am an American, fighting in the forces which guard my country and our way of life. I am prepared to give my life in their defense.

2. I will never surrender of my own free will. If in command, I will never surrender the members of my command while they still have the means to resist.

3. If I am captured, I will continue to resist by all means available. I will make every effort to escape and aid others to escape. I will accept neither parole nor special favors from the enemy.

4. If I become a prisoner of war, I will keep faith in my fellow prisoners. I will give no information or take part in any action which might be harmful to my comrades. If I am senior, I will take command. If not, I will obey the lawful orders of those appointed over me and back them up in every way.

5. When questioned, should I become a prisoner of war, I am required to give name, rank, service number, and date of birth. I will evade answering further questions to the utmost of my ability. I will make no oral or written statements disloyal to my country and its allies or harmful to their cause.

6. I will never forget that I am an American, fighting for freedom, responsible for my actions, and dedicated to the principles which made my country free. I will trust in my God and the United States of America.

The Code of Conduct was established by Executive Order 10631 on January 1st. 1955

US Constitution which applies to ALL Americans

Eh, yeah, so does this, with respect to Bergdahl:

Uniform Code of Military Justice, Article 85 - Desertion

(a) Any member of the armed forces who—

(1) without authority goes or remains absent from his unit, organization, or place of duty with intent to remain away therefrom permanently;

(2) quits his unit, organization, or place of duty with intent to avoid hazardous duty or to shirk important service; or

(3) without being regularly separated from one of the armed forces enlists or accepts an appointment in the same or another one of the armed forces without fully disclosing the fact that he has not been regularly separated, or enters any foreign armed service except when authorized by the United States, is guilty of desertion.

(b) Any commissioned officer of the armed forces who, after tender of his resignation and before notice of its acceptance, quits his post or proper duties without leave and with intent to remain away therefrom permanently is guilty of desertion.

(c) Any person found guilty of desertion or attempt to desert shall be punished, if the offense is committed in time of war, by death or such other punishment as a court-martial may direct, but if the desertion or attempt to desert occurs at any other time, by such punishment, other than death, as a court-martial may direct.”

What do you think would happen if you and Bergdahl were put In a room together and told to fight each other.....the winner gaining freedom?

U.S. Army Hawk Home Page

Code of Conduct for the United States Military

The Code of Conduct for Members of the United States Armed Forces Article 1 really says it all. The Code of Conduct is the same for the Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force and Coast Guard.

1. I am an American, fighting in the forces which guard my country and our way of life. I am prepared to give my life in their defense.

2. I will never surrender of my own free will. If in command, I will never surrender the members of my command while they still have the means to resist.

3. If I am captured, I will continue to resist by all means available. I will make every effort to escape and aid others to escape. I will accept neither parole nor special favors from the enemy.

4. If I become a prisoner of war, I will keep faith in my fellow prisoners. I will give no information or take part in any action which might be harmful to my comrades. If I am senior, I will take command. If not, I will obey the lawful orders of those appointed over me and back them up in every way.

5. When questioned, should I become a prisoner of war, I am required to give name, rank, service number, and date of birth. I will evade answering further questions to the utmost of my ability. I will make no oral or written statements disloyal to my country and its allies or harmful to their cause.

6. I will never forget that I am an American, fighting for freedom, responsible for my actions, and dedicated to the principles which made my country free. I will trust in my God and the United States of America.

The Code of Conduct was established by Executive Order 10631 on January 1st. 1955

US Constitution which applies to ALL Americans

Eh, yeah, so does this, with respect to Bergdahl:

Uniform Code of Military Justice, Article 85 - Desertion

(a) Any member of the armed forces who—

(1) without authority goes or remains absent from his unit, organization, or place of duty with intent to remain away therefrom permanently;

(2) quits his unit, organization, or place of duty with intent to avoid hazardous duty or to shirk important service; or

(3) without being regularly separated from one of the armed forces enlists or accepts an appointment in the same or another one of the armed forces without fully disclosing the fact that he has not been regularly separated, or enters any foreign armed service except when authorized by the United States, is guilty of desertion.

(b) Any commissioned officer of the armed forces who, after tender of his resignation and before notice of its acceptance, quits his post or proper duties without leave and with intent to remain away therefrom permanently is guilty of desertion.

(c) Any person found guilty of desertion or attempt to desert shall be punished, if the offense is committed in time of war, by death or such other punishment as a court-martial may direct, but if the desertion or attempt to desert occurs at any other time, by such punishment, other than death, as a court-martial may direct.”

even in a military court, there are evidentiary rules.

we generally don't try people based on innuendo from the blogosphere

it is not clear what bergdahl's mental state was when he left base. odd that you wouldn't be sympathetic to that.

We haven't outsourced military justice to the Taliban. His captivity should have no bearing on the issue.

He CHOSE to walk away. What happened afterward is the result of HIS choice. It's not something that was done to him.

You keep stating this as if it were already proven in a court of law.

U.S. concluded in 2010 that Bergdahl walked away

The Pentagon knows more about it than you do. You're dismissed.

Your reading comprehension skills have not improved.

I didn't misread anything at all.

The new conservative right is fundamentally anti-American at its core.

Want some evidence?

Which political movement in this country routinely talks about loving the US Constitution but always talks about numerous amendments to change it?

Which political movement in this country routinely talks about secession?

Which political movement in this country routinely talks about revolution and/or civil war?

Which political party had a candidate on the national ballot who disparaged large segments of America and the citizenship of millions of Americans by claiming she was in the REAL America when she attended a rally of like-minded thinkers?

Which political movement in this country essentially has control of AM radio and basically uses that medium to undermine the gov't at every turn by fanning the flames of fear and mistrust? (In an earlier time, this would be referred to as sedition)

It's the modern-day conservative movement.
News flash: Not liking Obama is not the same as not liking America.

Obama is not the nation. You can love one and hate the other. Progressives do.

I didn't mention Obama.
He's obsessed.

What testimony? I'm not aware of any trial or any oath being taken by anyone regarding Bergdahl's actions PRIOR to Pvt Bergdahl leaving his post since they certainly couldn't testify to anything he did after he was gone.
I normally limit myself to things like ditzy and the like, but fuck off! The asshole deserted his unit and almost doubtless soldiers died trying to find his sorry ass. I don't give a rat's ass what he did after that.
How did 6 die after Bowe Bergdahl's disappearance? - CNN.com
Some soldiers have gone so far as to say the six died while searching for Bergdahl. Others say he is indirectly to blame -- after Bergdahl vanished, essentially every operation became a mission to find their lost colleague in one way or another, they say.
"I can't really say I blame Bergdahl to the fullest extent," former Staff Sgt. Justin Gerleve, Bergdahl's squad leader, told CNN last week, "but if he wouldn't have deserted us, these soldiers very well could have been in a different place at a different time, rather than the place at the time of their death."

Interviews with soldiers familiar with the specific missions in which the six died suggest the charge is complicated -- but not without merit given how much the 501st Parachute Infantry Regiment became focused on "PR" -- personnel recovery -- after Bergdahl vanished from his guard post on June 30, 2009.

"The fact of the matter is, when those soldiers were killed, they would not have been where they were at if Bergdahl had not have left," said former Sgt. Evan Buetow, Bergdahl's former team leader. "Bergdahl leaving changed the mission."

Those charges were repeated by a noncommissioned officer who requested anonymity because he is still in the Army, one who described himself as a two-time voter for President Obama, lest anyone think his comments were political in any way.
"If Bergdahl hadn't left it's entirely plausible that they wouldn't have had those follow-on missions or been where they were," said the NCO, who served in the 501st.​
There is no evidence that anyone died as a result of searching for Bergdahl.

News flash: Not liking Obama is not the same as not liking America.

Obama is not the nation. You can love one and hate the other. Progressives do.

I didn't mention Obama.
Then you're full of shit. Conservatives love America. Conservatives oppose what progressives want to do to America. Your "fundamental transformation" has the USSR circa 1964 as its business model.

Yeah - America 1859 and earlier.

My understanding is Bergdahl was taken prisoner by a guerrilla organization less than 30 days after going AWOL from his unit. As I recall, up to 30 days unauthorized absence is AWOL. Intentional absence after 30 days is desertion.

What I've read about Bergdahl suggests he was openly opposed to U.S. actions in Afghanistan. His behavior has been described as abnormal which suggests two possibilities. One possibility is he was not psychologically suitable for military service but was accepted because of expediently reduced recruitment standards. The other possibility is he simply was one more PTSD case.

So until we know a lot more about Bergdahl and all the peripheral circumstances surrounding his captivity it is much too soon to be making any judgments.

He was not a POW.

Nice try with the spin.

She was responding to the fact that he voluntarily left his post.
What do you mean he wasn't a POW?

In military terms, he was not classified as a POW. He was classified as a hostage.

A POW is one who is captured while under the command of his/her commanding officer.

If the soldier opts to stray from his/her unit and is no longer following the orders of his/her CO, they are not given the military "advantages and benefits" a POW would get when released.

Although, from what I understand, they have made an exception with this one. But that is just rumor as of now.

But he was NEVER classified as a POW.
the military stopped classifying people as POWs a long time ago, probably because we haven't declared war since ww2. But he was certainly a pow.

Just in case anyone was wondering what the conservative message is, the above photoshopped picture helps clear it up a bit. Conservatives take the word of what the Taliban says about an American POW they held for 5 years.

This would be tantamount to someone taking the word of the Soviet Union or the North Vietnamese Gov't which captured and held American POWs for years in the jungle and brutally tortured them both physically and psychologically. Thankfully, unlike today's anti-American conservatives, American POWs in the 1960s and 70s did NOT take the word of the enemy when the gov't of North Vietnam fed them propaganda about how their country (America) had abandoned them.

It looks like the Taliban have unwitting allies (some people might call them dupes) in the modern-day American conservatives movement.

http://tpc.pc2.netdna-cdn.com/][/quote]

Just in case anyone was wondering what the conservative message is, the above photoshopped picture helps clear it up a bit. Conservatives take the word of what the Taliban says about an American POW they held for 5 years.

This would be tantamount to someone taking the word of the Soviet Union or the North Vietnamese Gov't which captured and held American POWs for years in the jungle and brutally tortured them both physically and psychologically. Thankfully, unlike today's anti-American conservatives, American POWs in the 1960s and 70s did NOT take the word of the enemy when the gov't of North Vietnam fed them propaganda about how their country (America) had abandoned them.

It looks like the Taliban have unwitting allies (some people might call them dupes) in the modern-day American conservatives movement.[/QUOTE]

It is particularly and specifically offensive to those of us who have knowledge that it is an accurate depiction of what occurred to some POW's in previous wars. The suffering and nightmarish memories of our veterans and there families are freely used as jokes to the lowest moral character representatives of our society.

Last edited:

It looks like the Taliban have unwitting allies (some people might call them dupes) in the modern-day American conservatives movement.

It is particularly and specifically offensive to those of us who have knowledge that it is an accurate depiction of what occurred to some POW's in previous wars. The suffering and nightmarish memories of our veterans and there families are fre2ely used as jokes to the lowest moral character representatives of our society.
Dumb and Dumber. Excuse the rest of us for not slobbering over a deserter. Sorry, wrapping yourselves in the flag is not going to work here.

It is particularly and specifically offensive to those of us who have knowledge that it is an accurate depiction of what occurred to some POW's in previous wars. The suffering and nightmarish memories of our veterans and there families are fre2ely used as jokes to the lowest moral character representatives of our society.
Dumb and Dumber. Excuse the rest of us for not slobbering over a deserter. Sorry, wrapping yourselves in the flag is not going to work here.

Nope, you don't get an excuse, only a listing with the lowest of the low who spit on veterans and their families.

Nope, you don't get an excuse, only a listing with the lowest of the low who spit on veterans and their families.
You don't give a rat's ass about Bergdahl or his family. You don't give a rat's ass about those who put their lives in danger or died looking for him. The only thing you care about is Obama's withering legacy.

No, it is not going to work coming from you or the other flunky. It is way too contrived...too fake.

Yessir, the Taliban have conservative friends right here in the good ol' USA. I wonder what their first tip off was. I mean, was it the American evangelical religious movement's embrace of a fundamentalism when it comes to scripture? I'm referring to the whole literal interpretation of the Bible that rejects modernism and very often any scientific theory that challenges religious orthodoxy. After all, that's the way the Taliban views science and modernism vis-a-vis their own religious faith too. Or was it the American conservative movement's shared values that women should embrace the traditional roles for women in society instead of education and working outside the home?

Well, maybe that doesn't matter at this point.

Once the Taliban caught wind of just how much American conservatives hated their own gov't (much like the Taliban hates the gov't in Afghanistan), they probably saw an opportunity to divide and conquer. My guess is that some of the leaders of the Taliban thought that American conservatives would NEVER side with them against the American gov't in any dispute involving an American POW. But those doubters were proven wrong when American conservatives took the Taliban's word regarding anything they said about Sgt Bergdahl, AND American conservatives also actually railed against President Obama when he repatriated an American soldier. How ironic that is considering that the Taliban celebrated the return of their own countrymen even though they weren't actually sent back to Afghanistan.

But once the Taliban saw American conservatives rail against one of their own citizens who the Taliban had tortured and held prisoner for five years as well as the fact that American conservatives denounced their own president, then the Taliban knew they had friends here in this country. Well, maybe not friends in the truest sense of the word. But they had allies who shared some of the same goals. While it's true that the motives were different, that doesn't change the fact that some of the goals were the same.

One of those goals was undermining the American gov't. That's why the Taliban didn't miss the opportunity to release further statements about Sgt Bergdahl after he was released once they saw the reaction of American conservatives. So, the Taliban further called Sgt Bergdahl's patriotism into question. And what happened? American conservatives didn't miss a beat. As if Pavlov had rung a bell, American conservatives started salivating at the chance to go on the offensive against their own countrymen; they jumped right on Sgt Bergdahl and denounced him while also denouncing President Obama who's the commander-in-chief of the military fighting in Afghanistan. The North Vietnamese could never have attained anything of this magnitude just by getting a naive young actress like Jane Fonda to let her picture be taken while sitting on an NVA anti-aircraft gun. No, the Taliban have 10s of 1,000s of American conservatives trying to undermine the American gov't even as the Taliban is feeding them propaganda which they take at face value. These American conservatives are elected representatives of the Republican Party. They're also highly visible members of the national media, reaching millions of listeners and viewers. And they're also spread out ALL across America on the Internet, posting on forums and blogs. But that Internet reaches ALL around the world, and the Taliban is watching...and listening.

The conclusion, I'm sorry to say, is very clear. American conservatives, due to their self-serving motives to regain power, have now abandoned any semblance or pretext of patriotism to the nation as a whole. They are now, first and foremost, a pro conservative movement which is dedicated to undermining the US Gov't. Let's be clear here. I'm not talking about just being against policies they don't agree with. No, they are now essentially an anti E pluribus unum movement, and therefore an anti-American one, that has no qualms about taking the word of the Taliban in the conservative effort to undermine their own gov't if and when they believe it serves conservative interests to retake power. That's true even at the expense of the national interest. After all, it used to be said that politics stopped at the water's edge. That's obviously not true anymore as far as conservatives are concerned. For the Taliban, that makes American conservatives fifth columnists.

Last edited:

You don't give a rat's ass about Bergdahl or his family. You don't give a rat's ass about those who put their lives in danger or died looking for him. The only thing you care about is Obama's withering legacy.

No, it is not going to work coming from you or the other flunky. It is way too contrived...too fake.

I care enough to let all the facts come out before I start a witch hunt on a returning POW

I care enough to let all the facts come out before I start a witch hunt on a returning POW

And how can you know all the facts are out until Your New Messiah tells what you are to believe? But true, no need to rush. He can't do everything to suit the schedules of others. Well unless he gets direction from Mr. Soros.

Yessir, the Taliban have conservative friends right here in the good ol' USA. I wonder what their first tip off was. I mean, was it the American evangelical religious movement's embrace of a fundamentalism when it comes to scripture? I'm referring to the whole literal interpretation of the Bible that rejects modernism and very often any scientific theory that challenges religious orthodoxy. After all, that's the way the Taliban views science and modernism vis-a-vis their own religious faith too. Or was it the American conservative movement's shared values that women should embrace the traditional roles for women in society instead of education and working outside the home?

Well, maybe that doesn't matter at this point.

Once the Taliban caught wind of just how much American conservatives hated their own gov't (much like the Taliban hates the gov't in Afghanistan), they probably saw an opportunity to divide and conquer. My guess is that some of the leaders of the Taliban thought that American conservatives would NEVER side with them against the American gov't in any dispute involving an American POW. But those doubters were proven wrong when American conservatives took the Taliban's word regarding anything they said about Sgt Bergdahl, AND American conservatives also actually railed against President Obama when he repatriated an American soldier. How ironic that is considering that the Taliban celebrated the return of their own countrymen even though they weren't actually sent back to Afghanistan.

But once the Taliban saw American conservatives rail against one of their own citizens who the Taliban had tortured and held prisoner for five years as well as the fact that American conservatives denounced their own president, then the Taliban knew they had friends here in this country. Well, maybe not friends in the truest sense of the word. But they had allies who shared some of the same goals. While it's true that the motives were different, that doesn't change the fact that some of the goals were the same.

One of those goals was undermining the American gov't. That's why the Taliban didn't miss the opportunity to release further statements about Sgt Bergdahl after he was released once they saw the reaction of American conservatives. So, the Taliban further called Sgt Bergdahl's patriotism into question. And what happened? American conservatives didn't miss a beat. As if Pavlov had rung a bell, American conservatives started salivating at the chance to go on the offensive against their own countrymen; they jumped right on Sgt Bergdahl and denounced him while also denouncing President Obama who's the commander-in-chief of the military fighting in Afghanistan. The North Vietnamese could never have attained anything of this magnitude just by getting a naive young actress like Jane Fonda to let her picture be taken while sitting on an NVA anti-aircraft gun. No, the Taliban have 10s of 1,000s of American conservatives trying to undermine the American gov't even as the Taliban is feeding them propaganda which they take at face value. These American conservatives are elected representatives of the Republican Party. They're also highly visible members of the national media, reaching millions of listeners and viewers. And they're also spread out ALL across America on the Internet, posting on forums and blogs. But that Internet reaches ALL around the world, and the Taliban is watching...and listening.

The conclusion, I'm sorry to say, is very clear. American conservatives, due to their self-serving motives to regain power, have now abandoned any semblance or pretext of patriotism to the nation as a whole. They are now, first and foremost, a pro conservative movement which is dedicated to undermining the US Gov't. Let's be clear here. I'm not talking about just being against policies they don't agree with. No, they are now essentially an anti E pluribus unum movement, and therefore an anti-American one, that has no qualms about taking the word of the Taliban in the conservative effort to undermine their own gov't if and when they believe it serves conservative interests to retake power. That's true even at the expense of the national interest. After all, it used to be said that politics stopped at the water's edge. That's obviously not true anymore as far as conservatives are concerned. For the Taliban, that makes American conservatives fifth columnists.

Tonto has gone off the reservation..........................

:cuckoo:

Forum List

Back