Army Navy "Surplus Stores"

Ringel05

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2009
Duke City
I've noticed over the years that very few actual Army Navy Surplus stores have remained real surplus stores. Most appear to have become expensive military themed boutiques with little or no actual surplus items, often simply copies of actual US military uniforms and equipment.

I've noticed over the years that very few actual Army Navy Surplus stores have remained real surplus stores. Most appear to have become expensive military themed boutiques with little or no actual surplus items, often simply copies of actual US military uniforms and equipment.

I miss Sunny's Surplus. Years ago they sold everything from surplus rifles to WWI bayonets, uniforms from many eras and, of course, the military surplus sleeping bags and canteens we used at Boy Scout camp back in the 80's.

That's exactly right. Any actual surplus, especially the valuable kind, goes to police departments now.

I miss Sunny's Surplus. Years ago they sold everything from surplus rifles to WWI bayonets, uniforms from many eras and, of course, the military surplus sleeping bags and canteens we used at Boy Scout camp back in the 80's.
One perk of growing up military was free access to all sorts of WWII & Korean War surplus they kept stocked at the base Scout centers. We also had all the C Rats we could eat and ya know growing boys will eat just about anything........ We loved em.

Last edited:
For reasons I am not quite clear on, Army surplus fatigue pants (and white painters pants) were de rigueur for guys in my high school in the late 70's. On any given day, you would see as many guys wearing them as jeans.

Years ago they a really good one in Fort Worth. They had Vietnam era boots, other items like tents, blankets, coats, etc.

For reasons I am not quite clear on, Army surplus fatigue pants (and white painters pants) were de rigueur for guys in my high school in the late 70's. On any given day, you would see as many guys wearing them as jeans.

I remember.

And Army jackets were the choice of many people wanting to dress down.

Years ago they a really good one in Fort Worth. They had Vietnam era boots, other items like tents, blankets, coats, etc.

We had one in Annandale Virginia that had been there since the 50s. Basically a small warehouse full of WWII through Vietnam surplus including vehicles. It's long gone now, the property was prime real estate and I'm sure the owner's sons made a killing selling it.

Havent seen a real one in at least a decade.

Forum List

Back