As A Black Person Why Should I Celebrate the 4th of July?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I generally do not side with this particular poster. But give him a break already. I rather doubt most of Us celebrate all holidays in the spirit they were created for. I understand the symbology and the OP has a different interpretation of this holiday. A perfectly valid one.

Any reason to celebrate or NOT celebrate is yours alone. So, if you don't feel you have a reason to celebrate, you should not.
Thats not an answer to my question. Thats life philosophy I already know.

That's the only real answer. Anything more is asking us to justify something you may or may not feel, and how can we do that?
No thats not the only real answer. Matter of fact its no answer at all. Thats pretty much bullshit I already know. If you need an example of a real answer go read the thread. I think I got about 3 of them.

What I'm saying is that your question, and by extension, this thread is bullshit. As a result, I bid you a great evening and take care.
Why are you commenting on my thread if you think its bullshit? I dont respond to threads I think are bullshit.

Your thread is nothing but a thinly-veiled attempt to vent your hatred against white people. You could have just came out and said "Independence Day is just a racist holiday for white people", but you didn't have the fortitude or the balls to say it.

So do what you want to. Nobody cares at this point, so sit and stew in your hatred for all I care.

1)NOT ALL Black people in the U.S. descend from those unfortunate to suffer in slavery.
And not all of the Black culture in the U.S. know when and from where and how did their ancestors come to the state.
IMAGINE YOUR NERVE IF you assumed your ancestors came over slave ships when they didn't or assumed slavery when they weren't.

2)those who were slaves have the reason to protest, but those who never lived in that era even as offspring should be greatful to be here by chance even though out of poor circumstance. Those born in other countries would gladly switch places even if it means their distant relative's sacrificed and suffered they were the accidental benefactors of their ancestor's missfortune.
You started off good but you faltered. I'm going to ignore the faltering and just address where you started off good. Thanks for your response..

I know for a fact my ancestors were enslaved on the 4th.
So then they should protest, but you have no right & you should be conflicted since you INADVERTANTLY benefited from their suffrage.
Sorry if any of my commentary offended, but hey I'm offended all the time when assumed my family that came over to escape Nazism somehow makes me responsible for what happened in another age through the mere color of my skin(that's reverse *racism*) and somehow I'm responsible for restitution to their *racist* offspring.
What I'm saying in cause and affect good can accidentally come from something bad and vice versa, in doing something good in seeking justice is sometimes missdirected and causes harm or bad things as a result. You seek justice not due you (butv that was due your ancestor) by people not even responsible, thus you cause harm through being the racist you so seek justice from.
Ironic.
My ancestors that were enslaved are dead and yes I do have a right not to celebrate. No I'm not conflicted and I have never benefited from their suffering.
People in war torn regions who's ancestors were not taken over to the States will disagree and would switch places in a second. Would you care to wager alas "Trading Places" (movie analogy referrence)?
You "INADVERTANTLY" benefited.
I dont care what someone may disagree with. I never benefited from my ancestors being enslaved.
Never said that, you "Inadvertantly" benefited from them being brought here compared to you never existing if they never were brought here.
Maybe we should be discussing your inability to appreciate being born? Or are you mistaken?
Appreciate your life, enjoy the day.

My neighbor came over and asked if I was going to do fireworks today. I told her no and that I do not celebrate the 4th. She asked me why and I told her I didnt want to spoil her fun. She insisted I tell her and I eventually relented. I told her that my ancestors were still enslaved on this day even though a man that looked like me was the first to die in defense of this country.

Okay. So when was the last time someone forced you to pick cotton.

Hey, you know what, when my Grandpappy Ludwig came over here, I'm sure there were people who called him a Kraut and a Hun... and you know what, it really has no effect on my life today.

Now, if you want to have a discussion about how to resolve today's problems, I'm good with that. But I'm also happy to live in a country where we can have those discussions.
What does picking cotton have to do with not celebrating the 4th?

I'm not asking about how to resolve todays problems. I'm asking for reasons Black people should celebrate the 4th.

That's the only real answer. Anything more is asking us to justify something you may or may not feel, and how can we do that?
No thats not the only real answer. Matter of fact its no answer at all. Thats pretty much bullshit I already know. If you need an example of a real answer go read the thread. I think I got about 3 of them.

What I'm saying is that your question, and by extension, this thread is bullshit. As a result, I bid you a great evening and take care.
Why are you commenting on my thread if you think its bullshit? I dont respond to threads I think are bullshit.

Your thread is nothing but a thinly-veiled attempt to vent your hatred against white people. You could have just came out and said "Independence Day is just a racist holiday for white people", but you didn't have the fortitude or the balls to say it.

So do what you want to. Nobody cares at this point, so sit and stew in your hatred for all I care.
If thats true then simply avoid the thread. You are not bringing anything to the table.

Well tell me this: What unique ideas are you presenting except that you're an angry black person who's ashamed to be an American, and "Independence Day is a racist white holiday"?

We had to suffer through 8 years of that pity-party crap with Obama, and seriously, nobody's buying what you're peddling anymore. Please seek therapy for your depression or go out and get laid.

My neighbor came over and asked if I was going to do fireworks today. I told her no and that I do not celebrate the 4th. She asked me why and I told her I didnt want to spoil her fun. She insisted I tell her and I eventually relented. I told her that my ancestors were still enslaved on this day even though a man that looked like me was the first to die in defense of this country.

Hey, you know what, when my Grandpappy Ludwig came over here, I'm sure there were people who called him a Kraut and a Hun... and you know what, it really has no effect on my life today.

Now, if you want to have a discussion about how to resolve today's problems, I'm good with that. But I'm also happy to live in a country where we can have those discussions.

I'm not asking about how to resolve todays problems. I'm asking for reasons Black people should celebrate the 4th.

Some Whites particularly Irish, and Scots-Irish were picking cotton right next to Blacks, as Indentured Servants, who chose slavery of a temporary manner, over squalor, poverty, and famine in Ireland.

If thats true then simply avoid the thread. You are not bringing anything to the table.

Well tell me this: What unique ideas are you presenting except that you're an angry black person who's ashamed to be an American, and "Independence Day is a racist white holiday"?

We had to suffer through 8 years of that pity-party crap with Obama, and seriously, nobody cares anymore. Please seek therapy for your depression.
No. I asked a question. Please answer it. If you cant then start another thread if you want your question answered.

Some Whites particularly Irish, and Scots-Irish were picking cotton right next to Blacks, as Indentured Servants, who chose slavery of a temporary manner, over squalor, poverty, and famine in Ireland.
and that has what to do with the 4th of July and Black people?

Well, unlike a lot of Blacks, Mexicans, Natives, etc. etc. not a whole lot of Irish are so anti-Forth of July.

Well, unlike a lot of Blacks, Mexicans, Natives, etc. etc. not a whole lot of Irish are so anti-Forth of July.
So your reason Blacks should celebrate is that the Irish are not anti 4th?

so? sobie------actually the indentured slavery thing went away
before in the USA in favor of black slavery

Well, why not live by example, I'm not so sure what kind of example the stereotypical Black sets, however. (Ahem)

for you own pleasure------for the hot dogs and toasted marchmallows

so? sobie------actually the indentured slavery thing went away
before in the USA in favor of black slavery

As if the chattel slavery thing didn't vanish in the U.S.A, at least 99.9999% of the time, and by it's laws?

Not to mention, the celebratory gunfire in the inner cities like Chicago.

Not to mention, the celebratory gunfire in the inner cities like Chicago.

YIPEEEEEEE bang bang

Well, why not live by example, I'm not so sure what kind of example the stereotypical Black sets, however. (Ahem)
I dont take my examples from white people. Your suggestion borders on insanity and makes no sense at all. Whites were not enslaved on the 4th. How did you not know that?

Someone already mentioned fun.

I dont take my examples from white people. Your suggestion borders on insanity and makes no sense at all. Whites were not enslaved on the 4th. How did you not know that?

some were ----in various parts of the world

The 4th of July is a celebration of our country's freedom from British rule. Many black people celebrate by attending firework displays, bbqs etc, as well as having the day off from work. If someone chooses to not celebrate, that is okay too, this country gives you that freedom to chose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back