As many as 10 dead in shooting at Batman premiere in Denver: reports

Americans need to ask themselves which is more important - their right to own a gun, or preventing mass shootings.

There is a right answer and a wrong answer here.

First you need to ask the right question but you start with the Faulty assertion that gun control will prevent mass shootings... Norway has strict gun control it did not prevent mass shootings..furthermore chicken little the statistical odds of your cause of death being a mass shooting are incredible small and you have much greater odds of being attacked by a shark or hit by lightening than being killed in a mass shooting

Americans need to ask themselves which is more important - their right to own a gun, or preventing mass shootings.

I place more value on my right to own a gun because I know myself and I know that I won't commit a crime. If I'm attacked and I'm armed, I have a reasonable chance of defending myself. There is already a reasonable level of gun control. Felons and psychs aren't allowed to possess them. Any further restriction is only going to inhibit law abiding citizens like me, not the crooks. They'll have all the guns they want.

So your 'right' to own a gun is far more important than preventing innocent people from being killed? Is it okay for innocent people to be killed so long as they don't take your gun away?

I cannot agree with that at all.

Osaka school massacre

At 10:15 that morning, 37-year-old former janitor Mamoru Takuma entered the school armed with a kitchen knife and began stabbing numerous school children and teachers. He killed eight children, mostly between the ages of seven and eight, and seriously wounded thirteen other children and two teachers.
Osaka school massacre - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Would this have happened if guns were banned in the US?

Good idea. Banning pot has worked so well to keep pot off of the streets.

Sarcasm in this situation is pathetic......Of course you should BAN GUNS and the revolting culture that goes with it.

Don't spew all the 2nd amendment bullshit please.

Australia have a NO GUN CULTURE and we have a better LIFE,of course we do.

The Idiot DISCREDITED NGLobby of the US tried to create their BULLSHIT here and were run out of this country by the Australian Government.

Guns are OK for sporting organizations and the Police and Military ONLY.

Say NO TO GUNS whilst you can,If you have the intestinal fortitude.WE HAVE:clap2:theliq

I don't recall riot police ever having to rescue the president of the United States from an angry mob. Maybe you are full of shit about Australi just being better than the US.

Australia have a NO GUN CULTURE and we have a better LIFE,of course we do.

That's easy to say when you don't have tens of millions of Afros trying to turn your civilization into a jungle and tens of millions of Hispanics trying to turn your country into something halfway between civilization and a jungle.

Guns are OK for sporting organizations and the Police and Military ONLY.
When I have to blow the brains out of a Trayvon, he can consider it a discharge.

Shut the fuck up.

What about the millions of us who own guns and obey the law? I own a few, have a carry permit, and I haven't even had a speeding ticket in over 30 years.

That is true, which is why I don't truly want Americans to ban guns entirely. It punishes those who are responsible. What I would like to see, though, is tougher gun laws. Those who are responsible shouldn't have an issue with this - it is important to do everything you can to prevent firearms from ending up in the wrong hands.

Let me guess, you think we should prevent medical students with really good grades, no history of mental illness, and no criminal history from getting guns because they might shoot up a theater some day. This is why people like you shouldn't comment on complex subjects, you don't think before you post.

That is true, which is why I don't truly want Americans to ban guns entirely. It punishes those who are responsible. What I would like to see, though, is tougher gun laws. Those who are responsible shouldn't have an issue with this - it is important to do everything you can to prevent firearms from ending up in the wrong hands.

How do you do that without infringing on the rights of innocent people? It's already illegal to own a firearm if you're a convicted felon or have a sufficient psychiatric history. The guy in the theater shooting had no prior criminal or psychiatric history. There's already a national database where a gun store can run an instant background check on you. This guy passed it because he had a clean record with no priors.

The only thing more that can be done is to make thought-crime illegal.

I don't know what else could be done. But SOMETHING has to be done to prevent these shootings. One mass shooting is one too many.

The only way to prevent mass shooting is to kill everyone.

How do you do that without infringing on the rights of innocent people? It's already illegal to own a firearm if you're a convicted felon or have a sufficient psychiatric history. The guy in the theater shooting had no prior criminal or psychiatric history. There's already a national database where a gun store can run an instant background check on you. This guy passed it because he had a clean record with no priors.

very simple .....BAN GUNS TO THE ORDINARY POPULATION,AND THIS HORRIFIC SITUATION WILL IN TIME BECOME A THING OF THE PAST.....I agree with Noomi completely AND SO SHOULD YOU,BUT IT TAKES A BACKBONE,ESPECIALLY IN THE US.

No it won't.

Not even a small question, the right to own a gun has saved more lives than mass shootings have taken. What would have prevented this man from using bombs to kill people if he had not had access to guns? Isn't that the preferred method in England where guns are illegal? Aren't they talking about banning knives there now?

What about the millions of us who own guns and obey the law? I own a few, have a carry permit, and I haven't even had a speeding ticket in over 30 years.

Let me guess, you think we should prevent medical students with really good grades, no history of mental illness, and no criminal history from getting guns because they might shoot up a theater some day. This is why people like you shouldn't comment on complex subjects, you don't think before you post.

there is no reason to have guns anymore. their recreational use is not justified when this is happening. that recreation should be sacrificed for the greater good of the people, but gun owners are selfish and will not relinquish this "activity," and that's all it is: a hunting trip, or a trip to the range. I won't deny that a certain amount of family bonding is inherent in such activities, but there are other ways to bond, and if this is the only way, then we are simply not willing to be a little more creative or try something else. Compare that marginal benefit of this recreational use to the murderous rampages as we have again seen. The only choice at this point is to drop guns altogether, because simply as a cost/benefit analysis, the costs are simply too high. Gun violence in this country has been a problem for far too long, especially in gang neighborhoods, yet rural folks need to go on hunting trips with their sons and daughters, so urban youth must die. It's so selfish. Nothing more. As far as the idea of bearing arms to protect against the government: if they actually moved on us, a few citizens in their homes would not be a problem for the american army. It would be a minor distraction.

If guns were outlawed, only outlaws would have guns...so, yes.

Except you never hear about this sort of thing in Germany, or Japan, or the UK where gun ownership is a lot more restricted.

Two things we are going to find out in the next couple of days.

1) Nearly everyone in James Holmes life knew he was seriously disturbed.

2) Despite that he was able to get four guns and lots of ammo with relative ease.

Nothing to see here.

Oh, by the way, I'm not some hippy who hates guns. I was in the army for 11 years, and probably handled more weapons than most of you have. But the idea that someone like HOlmes should be able to get a gun with such ease should make us all worry.

But the only time you guys worry about someone having guns they shouldn't have is if it's a mexican drug dealer and somehow you can blame Obama if you bend your brain back far enough.

If guns were outlawed, only outlaws would have guns...so, yes.

this person was hardly an outlaw. he was a med-student. the answer is probably, no: this would not have happened if guns were illegal.

It probably would have happened. If he was determined to do this, he would have done it by whatever means available. If he couldn't get a gun, he might have simply gotten some glass bottles and gasoline, and made Molotov Cocktails. That would have been cheaper and simpler than guns, and probably have been more horrific.

I looked at Colorado's CCW laws and I didn't see anything that bans guns from theaters. Now, there might have been a sign on the door that says "No Guns Allowed" and that sign might have stopped any law abiding citizens from carrying in there and being able to defend themselves, but that sign didn't stop and wouldn't have stopped this guy.

And that's the problem with prohibiting law abiding citizens from carrying: it only stops the law abiding citizens. Anybody who is intent on committing murder or robbery is not going to be stopped by a sign.

Somebody posted the video upthread about the guy down in Florida who stopped a robbery in an internet cafe by shooting the perps and running them out. That's the way it should work. The crooks should fear the citizens, not the other way around.

How a civilian can buy a semi automatic legally, and 6000 rounds defies logic.
16000 gun related deaths in USA compared to 20 a year in Japan where guns are banned.

The fewer the guns, the less the violence.

It's not impossible to control guns - but Americans are determined to protect handgun freedoms.

The pro-gun types will say it is not the presence or absence of guns that matters.. that is true up to a point, it's how guns are treated, which fundamentally starts with how seriously the culture views gun control.

Here is your first misconception, what you want does not matter. You do not have any valid opinion on the laws in the united states.

I don't know what else could be done. But SOMETHING has to be done to prevent these shootings. One mass shooting is one too many.

How about less gun free zones, and everybody not panic over the sight of seeing a gun in public.

Here is your first misconception, what you want does not matter. You do not have any valid opinion on the laws in the united states.

We get rid of one knuckle dragger on SCOTUS. Heller is overturned. We can introduce gun laws with teeth.

Sounds like a plan to me.

How about less gun free zones, and everybody not panic over the sight of seeing a gun in public.

How about making sure people aren't crazy before they buy guns?

How a civilian can buy a semi automatic legally, and 6000 rounds defies logic.
16000 gun related deaths in USA compared to 20 a year in Japan where guns are banned.

The fewer the guns, the less the violence.

It's not impossible to control guns - but Americans are determined to protect handgun freedoms.

The pro-gun types will say it is not the presence or absence of guns that matters.. that is true up to a point, it's how guns are treated, which fundamentally starts with how seriously the culture views gun control.
A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed

Only talking about our country, it's easy to own a gun.
You have to do a short lesson on gun safety - about 2 hours as I recall.
Then you're free to go.
You have to show your license whenever you buy a gun or ammunition.

There is no register of how many or what guns you own - a law that was changed about 25 years ago.
However, if you want to own a handgun or an automatic (and I think military style firearms as well) then you need to register as a collector which imposes a whole heap of extra checks and responsibilities.

Carrying a weapon in a public place without good cause is an offence.
Carrying a weapon of any sort for self-defence is an offence.
Using or presenting a gun for self defence in any situation will result in a trial.

So, we don't consider our liberties are curtailed because we can own a gun for sporting reasons, which is the only real reason that I can think of for owning one in New Zealand.

How about making sure people aren't crazy before they buy guns?

How many mass shooting have there been at gun shows, gun ranges and/or police stations?

Forum List

Back