Zone1 At the wedding in Cana our Lord Jesus changed water into wine

winefolly.com

What is Wine? A Beautiful Explanation | Wine Folly

Commonly made from fermented grapes, wine can be produced with any fruit, but primarily is made with a specific species of grape called Vitis vinifera.
winefolly.com
winefolly.com

I know what wine is, the human definition.

But, that doesn't prove that the water Jesus turned to wine had alcohol.

At the wedding in Cana our Lord Jesus changed water into wine
That is well known.
And at the Last Supper everybody had wine.

Why is it then that some Christian think that wine is "un-Christian"?
Can you tell me?
... because they are unChristian?

Wow..................now some Christians on this board are moving the purity test even further by claiming that the wine Jesus turned the water into had no alcohol.....................

Wow..................now some Christians on this board are moving the purity test even further by claiming that the wine Jesus turned the water into had no alcohol.....................

I'm making no such claim.

I'm simply asking is there evidence the wine had alcohol?

I've seen no evidence to prove it did.

The very definition of wine is that it is a fermented potable that has been made from fruit of some kind. Fermented means that it contains alcohol.

And, non alcoholic wine is a fairly new invention, that was created for religious types who didn't want alcohol in their communion wine.

America’s first alcohol-free approximation of wine sidestepped fermentation altogether. In 1869, a New Jersey dentist and prohibitionist named Thomas Bramwell Welch pasteurized unfermented Concord grape juice as a non-intoxicating “wine” that could be used for communion at his Methodist church. That zero-proof beverage found its way to congregations across the country—and launched America’s processed fruit juice industry. (Until 1890, Welch’s Grape Juice was known as Dr. Welch’s Unfermented Wine.)

So for YOU anybody who has a glass of wine is a "Drunkard", including Jesus and the 12 Apostles?

Plenty of catholic priests have an occasional glass of wine.

One of my favorite shows on EWTN (Catholic TV network) is Fr. Leo Patalinghug's "Savoring Our Faith", in which he visits historically and religiously important parts of the world as a diner, and also he cooks at home in his own kitchen. He frequently drinks a glass of wine with his meal.

I wonder where the idea comes from that good wine is somehow un-Christian?
Can anybody tell me?

Wine is made from fermented grapes .. mixing wine with water makes the water safer to drink.

I wonder where the idea comes from that good wine is somehow un-Christian?
Can anybody tell me?

It's a fairly new idea that has come around because a lot of people in a misguided attempt to somehow "prove" they are "better than" others start looking at anything they find offensive (even in the smallest part) and try to bend various ideas and scriptures to support their narrow view.

Maybe I shouldn't say its a new idea either.................Puritans when they first came here had prohibitions against a lot of useful things and ideas just because it didn't fit in their framework of what they thought was proper.

Here is what a person who studies and writes about the Bible says about wine....................

And, conversely to various people on this thread, wine is actually a gift from God, and it was given to us to "gladden the hearts of men". Wine itself isn't bad, but the overuse of it and becoming a drunkard is.

In my humble opinion, those who are against wine are bastardizing what it says in the Bible, and twisting it for their own nefarious purposes.

The very definition of wine is that it is a fermented potable that has been made from fruit of some kind. Fermented means that it contains alcohol.

And, non alcoholic wine is a fairly new invention, that was created for religious types who didn't want alcohol in their communion wine.

Now give us the definition of fermented?!?

I'm not saying the wine didn't have alcohol, Jesus could have made the water turn into an alcoholic beverage just as easily as turning the water into wine without alcohol.

But, there is no evidence (none) the wine had alcohol.

It's a fairly new idea that has come around because a lot of people in a misguided attempt to somehow "prove" they are "better than" others start looking at anything they find offensive (even in the smallest part) and try to bend various ideas and scriptures to support their narrow view.

Or, it could be a sinner's way of justifying their narrow views and sins.

Just saying.

Now give us the definition of fermented?!?

I'm not saying the wine didn't have alcohol, Jesus could have made the water turn into an alcoholic beverage just as easily as turning the water into wine without alcohol.

But, there is no evidence (none) the wine had alcohol.

The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence. And, wine at that time was defined as a fermented beverage of fruit of some kind. As far as the definition of ferment? Here ya go..........

ferment
verb [ I or T ]

UK

/fəˈment/ US

/fɚˈment/

If food or drink ferments or if you ferment it, it goes through a chemical change because of the action of yeast or bacteria, which may cause it to produce bubbles or heat, or turn sugars in it into alcohol. :
You make wine by leaving grape juice to ferment until all the sugar has turned to alcohol.

Maybe you want to split hairs and say that there was no evidence of alcohol in the wine, but according to the definitions of wine in that day (as well as currently, unless it's designated non alcoholic), wine contains alcohol. But, if this is the view you wish to hold, knock yourself out, even though it's wrong.

Just because you want to think that because it doesn't specifically mention the wine containing alcohol, doesn't mean that it was non alcoholic. And, non alcoholic wine is a relatively new invention, only coming about in the late 1800's. I don't really think that people back in Jesus' time had the ability, or the inclination, to make non alcoholic wine.

And................if it was changed into grape juice, don't you think the Bible would have specified grape juice instead of wine?

I'm pretty sure Jesus didn't need alcohol to make the water safe to drink.

He turned the water into wine afterall.

Jesus didn't "make the water safe to drink", He turned it into wine, which ALREADY contains alcohol.

You're being contrary just to troll, ain't ya?

Just because you want to think that because it doesn't specifically mention the wine containing alcohol, doesn't mean that it was non alcoholic. And, non alcoholic wine is a relatively new invention, only coming about in the late 1800's. I don't really think that people back in Jesus' time had the ability, or the inclination, to make non alcoholic wine.

And................if it was changed into grape juice, don't you think the Bible would have specified grape juice instead of wine?

First of all, we're/I'm not talking about all wine. I'm talking about the wine Jesus produced from water.
If you want to think the wine Jesus produced had alcohol in it, fine with me.

My point is, there is no evidence for it. It matters not what man's definition of wine is.

Jesus turned pure water into wine. Alcoholic or not, I believe that to be true.

Here's another opinion.

Did Jesus Turn Water Into Alcoholic Wine? - Articles ‹ University ...

Attachments

• 1685832862519.png
    1685832862519.png
    635 bytes · Views: 5

Forum List

Back