Atheism Is Not A Religion!!!

And an Atheist has Faith in their conviction that there is no God.

In fact to have come to that conclusion independently - that is - for someone who was not raised as an Atheist - an Atheist deserves some respect as a free thinker - assuming their Atheism is not based on socio-fascist / Marxist / Communist Religions of intolerance.

Well, that's bullshit. I don't have faith that there is no God. I have no proof, one way or the other. As a matter of fact, if I had some evidence pointing towards there being a God, I would certainly weigh the evidence.

I don't have faith that there is no God. I have no proof, one way or the other. As a matter of fact, if I had some evidence pointing towards there being a God, I would certainly weigh the evidence.

Then you are an agnostic not an atheist - there's a difference.

I'm sorry, but you don't get to define me. I'm an atheist because I don't live my life as if a God exists.

I'm sorry but you don't get to rewrite the English Language and .... I DON'T THINK ANYONE CAN DEFINE YOU - THERE'S NO WORD FOR IT - SLEEP TIGHT

Maybe you can tell us what exactly atheists worship.

Been there ... done that ... follow the thread . We already did the definitions thing ... Remember ?

An Atheist = a person who disbelieves or lacks belief in the existence of God or gods. In the mind of an Atheist there is no God and he/she has Faith in that conviction.

An agnostic = a person who believes that nothing is known or can be known of the existence or nature of God or of anything beyond material phenomena; a person who claims neither faith nor disbelief in God.
Religion doesn't necessarily require that there be a God

By your own admission and definition you are not an Atheist - but more correctly defined you are an Agnostic

Atheism Is Not A Religion US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

Carla-Dingbat: "I don't have faith that there is no God. I cannot be 100% sure of what happens when we die.. As a matter of fact, I miss the comfort I got out of religion back when I was a believer. I just don't see any evidence that there is a God, so I don't live my life as if a God exists. (that's lack of faith)"

BUDDHISM – Religious teaching from Buddha and his followers that by destroying greed, hatred and delusion (the cause of all suffering) man can attain perfect enlightenment! There is NO GOD in Buddhism, Buddha may have been elevated to a God-Like status by his followers but there is no Supreme Deity

TAOISM - A system of religion and philosophy based on the teachings of Chinese philosopher Lao-tze advocating a simple and honest lifestyle and non interference with the course of natural events. By Western standards it is more of a philosophy - there is no God

CONFUCIUS - Confucius Say ......

I'm sorry, but you don't get to define me. I'm an atheist because I don't live my life as if a God exists.

I'm sorry but you don't get to rewrite the English Language and .... I DON'T THINK ANYONE CAN DEFINE YOU - THERE'S NO WORD FOR IT - SLEEP TIGHT

Is worship a requirement for religion?

Usually, yes. A community center powered by karaoke, kindness and cake is not a house of worship.

Non sequitur aside, "usually" is not a requirement. "Always" is a requirement. "Must" is a requirement. So I ask again, is worship a requirement for religion?

Confucius Say No
Carla Say Doh

Usually, yes. A community center powered by karaoke, kindness and cake is not a house of worship.

Non sequitur aside, "usually" is not a requirement. "Always" is a requirement. "Must" is a requirement. So I ask again, is worship a requirement for religion?

As far as I know, yes. Even in Buddhism, Siddhartha Gautama is regarded as the Supreme Buddha.

Why would he leave it in the hands of a corrupt church and our ignorant forefathers? He needs to revisit.

What makes you think he left it in the hands of the church?

On PBS Finding Your Roots last night they told how Anna Deavere Smith's ancestor was a black jew living in Europe. I think they said 1400's. Anyways, you had 3 choices, convert to Christianity, Move or Die. Her ancestor moved to Jamaica. Yes a black Jamaican Jew.

This Christ/God thing has been force feed to us so long that it's the only reason it's still around. Wise up. Evolve.

I also saw a show on how this one Border Colly dog knows hundreds of words. They said it's no wonder dogs are getting smarter as they evolve next to us. And does your dog actually love you or does it just want food? Turns out they really love you. Do they go to heaven? If they don't, neither do you.

The smartest dog in the world - CBS News

As far as I know, yes. Even in Buddhism, Siddhartha Gautama is regarded as the Supreme Buddha.

I suppose that depends upon who you talk to. Buddha is not a person, it's a title. There have been many Buddhas and one tenet of the religion is that all of us are potential Buddhas, and some hold it is inevitable that all will become Buddha. But indeed, Buddha worship is common within Buddhism. I personally do not worship Buddha, so would you then say that I am not in a religion?

Well, that's bullshit. I don't have faith that there is no God. I have no proof, one way or the other. As a matter of fact, if I had some evidence pointing towards there being a God, I would certainly weigh the evidence.

I don't have faith that there is no God. I have no proof, one way or the other. As a matter of fact, if I had some evidence pointing towards there being a God, I would certainly weigh the evidence.

Then you are an agnostic not an atheist - there's a difference.

Been there ... done that ... follow the thread . We already did the definitions thing ... Remember ?

An Atheist = a person who disbelieves or lacks belief in the existence of God or gods. In the mind of an Atheist there is no God and he/she has Faith in that conviction.

An agnostic = a person who believes that nothing is known or can be known of the existence or nature of God or of anything beyond material phenomena; a person who claims neither faith nor disbelief in God.
Religion doesn't necessarily require that there be a God

By your own admission and definition you are not an Atheist - but more correctly defined you are an Agnostic

Atheism Is Not A Religion US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

a·the·ist
ˈāTHēəst/
noun
  1. a person who disbelieves or lacks belief in the existence of God or gods.
    "he is a committed atheist"
    synonyms:nonbeliever, disbeliever, unbeliever, skeptic, doubter, doubting Thomas,agnostic;
    nihilist
    "why is it often assumed that a man of science is probably an atheist?"
    [TBODY] [/TBODY]

Here is the well-known Dawkins scale of belief (though I disagree with the title of (4) - see above):

1. Strong Theist: I do not question the existence of God, I KNOW he exists.
  2. De-facto Theist: I cannot know for certain but I strongly believe in God and I live my life on the assumption that he is there.
  3. Weak Theist: I am very uncertain, but I am inclined to believe in God.
  4. Pure Agnostic: God’s existence and non-existence are exactly equiprobable.
  5. Weak Atheist: I do not know whether God exists but I’m inclined to be skeptical.
  6. De-facto Atheist: I cannot know for certain but I think God is very improbable and I live my life under the assumption that he is not there.
  7. Strong Atheist: I am 100% sure that there is no God.

Atheism Is Not A Religion Page 2 US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

I suppose that depends upon who you talk to. Buddha is not a person, it's a title. There have been many Buddhas and one tenet of the religion is that all of us are potential Buddhas, and some hold it is inevitable that all will become Buddha. But indeed, Buddha worship is common within Buddhism. I personally do not worship Buddha, so would you then say that I am not in a religion?

If you don't worship anything, I would say you're not in a religion. I mean, really.

BUDDHISM – Religious teaching from Buddha and his followers that by destroying greed, hatred and delusion (the cause of all suffering) man can attain perfect enlightenment! There is NO GOD in Buddhism, Buddha may have been elevated to a God-Like status by his followers but there is no Supreme Deity

TAOISM - A system of religion and philosophy based on the teachings of Chinese philosopher Lao-tze advocating a simple and honest lifestyle and non interference with the course of natural events. By Western standards it is more of a philosophy - there is no God

CONFUCIUS - Confucius Say ......

I could give a rats ass about the religious teaching from Buddha. I don't believe in Karma/rebirth Hocus Pocus, bullshit.

Last edited:

If you don't worship anything, I would say you're not in a religion. I mean, really.

Ok. We have something to actually work with. Why is worship required for something to be a religion?

Atheism is not a religion because it does not have written rules. But its another "belief", as like other religions.

Theist people believe there is God.

Atheist people believe there is no God.

Atheism is not a religion because it does not have written rules. But its another "belief", as like other religions.

I don't think religion requires the ability to write, but I certainly brought up dogma as one attribute. Is that what you are talking about?

Prachet said he said "no one is going to hell who isn't choosing to go there"
that is true....I did say that.....I have said it many times......I do so because that is what the scriptures tell me.....

John 3:18 Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because they have not believed in the name of God’s one and only Son.

what happens to the condemned I do not know....the same passage says...." that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. "

what it means to "perish" instead of having eternal life, I do not have the answer to......however, since it does not apply to me I will leave that to those who look forward to it instead of spending eternity with "schmucks"......

God would have done a much better job of proving he exists if he existed.
not if he didn't intend to prove he exists....
Let's think about this shall we. If god existed and he had the power to let every single living person know he exists but intended not to let anyone know he existed knowing very well that billions of other people believed in other religions and gods or in no gods at all, yet he choses to remain silent so they can all spend an eternity in pain and suffering, I ask you what kind of god is that? That is not a caring and loving god. That is worse than all the despotic psycopaths and murderers that ever existed. Hitler is a kitten compared to him.

I would say that is a pretty good indication that if there is a God, then this particular description is wrong.
My description is the exact discription in the bible and made by 99% of all christians. They are the ones saying that non-believers and those who worship other gods are going to hell. In fact it is exactly what PostmodernProph said.

No written rules ...
Except the Faith that God does not exist . but it is irrelevant, as she already admitted she does not subscribe to the religion of Atheism.

Instead she is an Agnostic - but will never admit that because somebody else pointed it out to her - and she is her own God - Her God is a Jealous God and thou shalt have no other Gods before her !

Prachet said he said "no one is going to hell who isn't choosing to go there"
that is true....I did say that.....I have said it many times......I do so because that is what the scriptures tell me.....

John 3:18 Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because they have not believed in the name of God’s one and only Son.

what happens to the condemned I do not know....the same passage says...." that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. "

what it means to "perish" instead of having eternal life, I do not have the answer to......however, since it does not apply to me I will leave that to those who look forward to it instead of spending eternity with "schmucks"......

Let's think about this shall we. If god existed and he had the power to let every single living person know he exists but intended not to let anyone know he existed knowing very well that billions of other people believed in other religions and gods or in no gods at all, yet he choses to remain silent so they can all spend an eternity in pain and suffering, I ask you what kind of god is that? That is not a caring and loving god. That is worse than all the despotic psycopaths and murderers that ever existed. Hitler is a kitten compared to him.
if you believed that you would be foolish to love him.......of course, I'm not saying your belief is anywhere near accurate or even logical, but that is obviously the choice you've made......
It is accurate by your own account. You were the one that stated non-belivers and those who worshipped other gods would go to hell and you also stated god intended not to reveal himself.

I would say that is a pretty good indication that if there is a God, then this particular description is wrong.
My description is the exact discription in the bible and made by 99% of all christians. They are the ones saying that non-believers and those who worship other gods are going to hell. In fact it is exactly what PostmodernProph said.

Whether that is correct or not (and I doubt it very much) that does not make the description any less wrong.

When you apply a negative it becomes a non-belief. Opposite of belief.

No, it doesn't.
yes, as you can see anyone can claim anything as a belief, even an agnostic view. I believe I'm not sure whether there is a god or not.

Anyone can add the word believe to a viewpoint but when you alter it with a negative it stops becomig a belief.

1.- an acceptance that a statement is true or that something exists.
2.- trust, faith, or confidence in someone or something

Both these definitions do not include atheism.

Forum List

Back