Atheism Is Not A Religion!!!

It is NOT a religion, and if you keep saying it is, I'm going to start my own tax exempt church, and start pounding on your door at dinner time.

Seriously, it sounds ridiculous when you say it.

re·li·gion
riˈlijən/
noun
  1. the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods.
    "ideas about the relationship between science and religion"
    synonyms:faith, belief, worship, creed; More
    [TBODY] [/TBODY]

You should try being honest for once maybe, and post the ENTIRE defintion

Full Definition of RELIGION
a : the state of a religious <a nun in her 20th year of religion>

b (1) : the service and worship of God or the supernatural (2) : commitment or devotion to religious faith or observance
: a personal set or institutionalized system of religious attitudes, beliefs, and practices
archaic : scrupulous conformity : conscientiousness
: a cause, principle, or system of beliefs held to with ardor and faith

number 4 certainly covers the militant atheists out there.

Have you noticed that every time you disagree with me, you are wrong?

That's a metaphorical definition. Does not apply. And there's no such thing as "militant atheists". That would require teams of missionaries traipsing out to the jungles to give the savages the good news that everything's fine, just keep on doing what you're doing. That would require charismatic cult leaders in mega-nonchurches splashing over your TV claiming to not-at-all heal the sick in the name of nothing, and most importantly SEND MONEY. Doesn't exist.

Belief in theism, or refusal thereof, is a personal decision. There would be no point in "selling" a nonentity. You can only sell an entity. Or a faith.

Metaphorical? LOL That's right our of Miriam's Dictionary.

And of course it's a personal decision, but there are just as many people out there trying to convince people that there is no God as there are trying to convince people that there is.

Nonsense! Complete BS! Nobody is trying to convince people that there is no God. Furthermore, the majority of this country consider themselves Christian. You just make shit up as you go. I think you just like the sound of your keyboard, going clickity cklick.

I don't have faith that there is no God. I cannot be 100% sure of what happens when we die.. As a matter of fact, I miss the comfort I got out of religion back when I was a believer. I just don't see any evidence that there is a God, so I don't live my life as if a God exists. (that's lack of faith)

We're relatively comfortable here in the West.

I'm happy for you.

I don't have faith that there is no God. I cannot be 100% sure of what happens when we die.. As a matter of fact, I miss the comfort I got out of religion back when I was a believer. I just don't see any evidence that there is a God, so I don't live my life as if a God exists. (that's lack of faith)

We're relatively comfortable here in the West.
Yes, that is true. Uncomfortable people are more religious than comfortable people. The worst thing that ever happened to Christianity was color television, Disneyland, and the three-bedroom suburban home.

Rilly?

Can you explain further?

It is NOT a religion, and if you keep saying it is, I'm going to start my own tax exempt church, and start pounding on your door at dinner time.

re·li·gion
riˈlijən/
noun
  1. the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods.
    [TBODY] [/TBODY]

b (1) : the service and worship of God or the supernatural (2) : commitment or devotion to religious faith or observance
: a personal set or institutionalized system of religious attitudes, beliefs, and practices

That's a metaphorical definition. Does not apply. And there's no such thing as "militant atheists". That would require teams of missionaries traipsing out to the jungles to give the savages the good news that everything's fine, just keep on doing what you're doing. That would require charismatic cult leaders in mega-nonchurches splashing over your TV claiming to not-at-all heal the sick in the name of nothing, and most importantly SEND MONEY. Doesn't exist.

Belief in theism, or refusal thereof, is a personal decision. There would be no point in "selling" a nonentity. You can only sell an entity. Or a faith.

And of course it's a personal decision, but there are just as many people out there trying to convince people that there is no God as there are trying to convince people that there is.

Where do we keep them then? In the Imaginarium??
And again ---------------------- what would be the point?

re·li·gion
riˈlijən/
noun
    [TBODY] [/TBODY]

Nonsense! Complete BS! Nobody is trying to convince people that there is no God. Furthermore, the majority of this country consider themselves Christian. You just make shit up as you go. I think you just like the sound of your keyboard, going clickity cklick.

You know, I hate that sound myself. Especially when it's used as SFX in a media commercial. :puke:

If you go on the internet and tell people there's no God, and they're stupid if they think there is, you're acting just like a religious person who says there is a God, and you'll go to hell if you don't believe it.

Are you okay?
I'm okay if you're okay.

I'm fine, but I'm a little worried about you.
No, you're not. You don't even know me. Stick to the topic of the thread and don't make it personal.

It takes faith to declare that there is no God.

I have no proof one way or the other.

Doesn't that make an agnostic?

Uh - oh... I feel comic relief coming on....

"There's nothing an agnostic can't do if he really doesn't know whether he believes in anythng or not" ;)

Good point! I called myself agnostic for a long time. And boy, let me tell you, my life was a lot easier when I referred to myself as agnostic. People certainly don't have harsh feelings towards people who claim they are agnostic, I've noticed. Being an atheist is a very different ball game. I just feel that since I don't live my life as though there is a God, I'm pretty much an atheist. See below.

Here is the well-known Dawkins scale of belief (though I disagree with the title of (4) - see above):

1. Strong Theist: I do not question the existence of God, I KNOW he exists.
  2. De-facto Theist: I cannot know for certain but I strongly believe in God and I live my life on the assumption that he is there.
  3. Weak Theist: I am very uncertain, but I am inclined to believe in God.
  4. Pure Agnostic: God’s existence and non-existence are exactly equiprobable.
  5. Weak Atheist: I do not know whether God exists but I’m inclined to be skeptical.
  6. De-facto Atheist: I cannot know for certain but I think God is very improbable and I live my life under the assumption that he is not there.
  7. Strong Atheist: I am 100% sure that there is no God.
I'm a number 6.

When you live your life under the assumption that there is no God, then the Ten Commandments do not bind you. That is why people are uncomfortable around atheists.

It takes faith to declare that there is no God.

I have no proof one way or the other.

Doesn't that make an agnostic?

Uh - oh... I feel comic relief coming on....

"There's nothing an agnostic can't do if he really doesn't know whether he believes in anythng or not" ;)

Good point! I called myself agnostic for a long time. And boy, let me tell you, my life was a lot easier when I referred to myself as agnostic. People certainly don't have harsh feelings towards people who claim they are agnostic, I've noticed. Being an atheist is a very different ball game. I just feel that since I don't live my life as though there is a God, I'm pretty much an atheist. See below.

Here is the well-known Dawkins scale of belief (though I disagree with the title of (4) - see above):

1. Strong Theist: I do not question the existence of God, I KNOW he exists.
  2. De-facto Theist: I cannot know for certain but I strongly believe in God and I live my life on the assumption that he is there.
  3. Weak Theist: I am very uncertain, but I am inclined to believe in God.
  4. Pure Agnostic: God’s existence and non-existence are exactly equiprobable.
  5. Weak Atheist: I do not know whether God exists but I’m inclined to be skeptical.
  6. De-facto Atheist: I cannot know for certain but I think God is very improbable and I live my life under the assumption that he is not there.
  7. Strong Atheist: I am 100% sure that there is no God.
I'm a number 6.

That's an interesting scale - never seen that before. Yeah I'd prolly go for 6 as well, although I've never called myself an atheist. Then again according to accepted definitions only a 7 would be. I'm kinda skeptical that sevens actually exist :lol: -- which I guess makes me an aatheist?

One thing I notice, that I've always questioned as much as theism --- why do the several choices refer to the deity as "he"?

I asked Astartleism back in the other thread, and he never answered -- since "he" can only be "he" relative to a "she" -- who's the she-deity? There has to be one, else it's not a "he". It would have to be an "it".

re·li·gion
riˈlijən/
noun
    [TBODY] [/TBODY]

That's true. Atheism would be a hard sell.

When you live your life under the assumption that there is no God, then the Ten Commandments do not bind you. That is why people are uncomfortable around atheists.

I don't need the Ten Commandments to know right from wrong.
That voice in your heart telling you right from wrong is the voice of God. It's called a conscience. But atheists throughout history have proven to be very good at ignoring the difference between right and wrong, i.e. Stalin, Pol Pot, Robespierre.

Forum List

Back