Atheist: Okay to Disparage Christians, But Islam Off-Limits Because of ‘Fear’

Since I disparage ALL religions, I guess that nobody has a beef with me!
Good thing Christianity is not a religion, for you. It happens to be beyond what religion can ever be.
Religion is a man made thing made in man's image and what man wants it to be.
Christianity isn't the first religion and it won't be the last. Humans are such a new young primitive species. 5000 years is a blink of an eye.

But everyone thinks their religion is the one and only real.

Hell, there are even divisions among Christians. Born again don't think Catholics are even going to heaven. Then there are Jehovah's. They think they are right not you. Then Mormons. Then Muslims.

You're all nucking futs.

It's so refreshing to finally see someone from the left tell the unvarnished truth.

(CNSNews.com) – An atheist professor said Tuesday that it’s acceptable to criticize Christians but not Muslims, because he does not “fear” retaliation from Christians.

“I know what keeps me from critiquing Islam on my blog is just fear,” Phil Zuckerman said at a discussion on religious liberty at Georgetown University in Washington, D.C. “I’ve got three kids.

“So I know I can say anything about Christianity or Mormonism, and I’m not living in fear, which is a testament to Christianity and Mormonism, and that’s wonderful. Thank you,” said Zuckerman, who is a self-described atheist and professor of secular studies at Pitzer College in Claremont, Calif.

Zuckerman was a panelist at the discussion as part of Georgetown University’s Religious Freedom Project at its Berkley Center.

Kirsten Powers, a Democratic pundit, recent convert to Catholicism and author of the book “How the Left Is Killing Free Speech,” said at the event that she does not understand why Muslims can oppose same-sex marriage and not be targeted by the Left for it, but calling out Christians for their beliefs is acceptable.

Powers cited the hidden video recordings made earlier this year by Steven Crowder, who asked Muslim bakers in Michigan if they would bake a cake for a same-sex wedding and they refused.

“If these had been Christian bakeries, it would have been on the front page of the New York Times, so I’m wondering why we’re able to have this amicable, disagreement with Muslims for having this view,” Powers said. “Why are we not able to do that with Christians?

“I absolutely agree with you,” Zuckerman said.

“I absolutely agree that it is okay for those on the left to critique, mock, deride Christianity, but Islam gets a free pass, which is so strange, because if you care about women’s rights, if you care about human rights, if you care about gay rights, then really Islam is much more problematic – sorry to paint Islam with a huge brush – and much more devastating,” he said.

“As an atheist – where on planet Earth is the death penalty meted out to atheists?” Zuckerman said. “It’s only in, I think, 24 Muslim countries.

“Where have human rights flourished the most? In Christian nations,” he said.

“I see Christianity as a great friend of secular culture,” Zuckerman said. “I see Islam as much more of a threat, much more debilitating. I’m not talking about Muslim individuals that I happen to sit next to on an airplane or are my neighbors. I’m talking about doctrines and those that have the power to enforce those doctrines in the form of Sharia law.”

Zuckerman mentioned comedian Bill Maher, actor Ben Affleck and atheist and author Sam Harris and the reaction to their remarks about Islam.

“I would say two things,” Zuckerman said. “I know what keeps me from critiquing Islam on my blog is just fear.

“I’ve got three kids,” he said. “So I know I can say anything about Christianity or Mormonism, and I’m not living in fear, which is a testament to Christianity and Mormonism, and that’s wonderful. Thank you.

“I would never write the same kind of stuff that I do about certain religions – Judaism, Christianity, LDS, whatever – as I would about Islam – just straight up fear,” Zuckerman said.
As an atheist I agree. Those guys will kill your ass. The Muslims are a great example of how the God hypothesis is bad for us. But don't tell them I said it.

Atheists in collectivist countries have murdered orders of magnitude more people in the last 135 years than all of the victims of religion over the last 2,000 years. If you want to compare murder rates you lose.
Is Russia an athiest country today?

Was nazi Germans athiests or Catholics? That's how they got Italy and Rome to go along. Christians all of them.

We're the Italians athiests?

And remember the japs believed in gods. Their emperor was one.

Russia today is not the Soviet Union of gulag days now is it.

The official religion of Nazi Germany was no religion. Well. Not entirely true, Himmler was fascinated with Norse mythology, and incorporated some of that in his SS regalia, but officially religion was tolerated. However, the eventual goal was to replace all religions with a "volksgemeinschaft" where the Party was the new religion.

The Fascist Party was indeed atheist.

And while the Japanese were Shintoists or Confusionist's for the most part, Tojo however was supposed to be Buddhist. Care to tell us where Buddhism advocates mass murder?
Didn't Christian America drop a bomb on heroshima and nakasaki? Mass murder. Didn't we wipe out millions of Indians? Do you know Americas history?

Bottom line was the sheep of Germany were manipulated with Christianity. Hiter used it to control and manipulate.

Why it was OK to kill millions of Jews.

Not even close to debatable. The most wildly optimistic estimates for religious murders is slightly more than 1.5 million. There simply weren't that many people out there to be murdered for one thing. Stalin alone is responsible for between 35 and 60 million. Mao another 150 million, and we would be remiss to not include Hitler and his 5 to 6 million. Pol Pot 2 million, etc.

So no. Atheists are the most murderous group this planet has ever seen.

Incorrect on most of it. Hitler was linked at the hip with the Catholic church.

More importantly, what good is any religion if at ANY time it results in the murder of millions of people? We are to judge whether a religion is worthy if it has murdered less people than someone else?

Bizarro world. Which is the domain of religion.

Are you saying that Hitler was a Christian? Please tell me you not that stupid.
Hitler was in fact a Christian.

You should quit while you're behind, you're seriously hobbled by your ignorance.

The premise of your thread failed as a consequence of your ignorance of public accommodations laws, and you continue to exhibit your ignorance with this post.

No he wasn't. He was into the occult. Jesus didn't preach killing millions of people.
He was both....Jesus didn't preach killing millions of people...heck, Jesus didn't preach killing anyone...but Christians do that all the time.....Hitler just made it an assembly line affair.
So does Texas.

Incorrect on most of it. Hitler was linked at the hip with the Catholic church.

More importantly, what good is any religion if at ANY time it results in the murder of millions of people? We are to judge whether a religion is worthy if it has murdered less people than someone else?

Bizarro world. Which is the domain of religion.

You should quit while you're behind, you're seriously hobbled by your ignorance.

The premise of your thread failed as a consequence of your ignorance of public accommodations laws, and you continue to exhibit your ignorance with this post.

No he wasn't. He was into the occult. Jesus didn't preach killing millions of people.
He was both....Jesus didn't preach killing millions of people...heck, Jesus didn't preach killing anyone...but Christians do that all the time.....Hitler just made it an assembly line affair.
So does Texas.
Indeed.

So does Texas.
Indeed.

....a jury of their peers.

It's so refreshing to finally see someone from the left tell the unvarnished truth.

(CNSNews.com) – An atheist professor said Tuesday that it’s acceptable to criticize Christians but not Muslims, because he does not “fear” retaliation from Christians.

“I know what keeps me from critiquing Islam on my blog is just fear,” Phil Zuckerman said at a discussion on religious liberty at Georgetown University in Washington, D.C. “I’ve got three kids.

“So I know I can say anything about Christianity or Mormonism, and I’m not living in fear, which is a testament to Christianity and Mormonism, and that’s wonderful. Thank you,” said Zuckerman, who is a self-described atheist and professor of secular studies at Pitzer College in Claremont, Calif.

Zuckerman was a panelist at the discussion as part of Georgetown University’s Religious Freedom Project at its Berkley Center.

Kirsten Powers, a Democratic pundit, recent convert to Catholicism and author of the book “How the Left Is Killing Free Speech,” said at the event that she does not understand why Muslims can oppose same-sex marriage and not be targeted by the Left for it, but calling out Christians for their beliefs is acceptable.

Powers cited the hidden video recordings made earlier this year by Steven Crowder, who asked Muslim bakers in Michigan if they would bake a cake for a same-sex wedding and they refused.

“If these had been Christian bakeries, it would have been on the front page of the New York Times, so I’m wondering why we’re able to have this amicable, disagreement with Muslims for having this view,” Powers said. “Why are we not able to do that with Christians?

“I absolutely agree that it is okay for those on the left to critique, mock, deride Christianity, but Islam gets a free pass, which is so strange, because if you care about women’s rights, if you care about human rights, if you care about gay rights, then really Islam is much more problematic – sorry to paint Islam with a huge brush – and much more devastating,” he said.

“As an atheist – where on planet Earth is the death penalty meted out to atheists?” Zuckerman said. “It’s only in, I think, 24 Muslim countries.

“I see Christianity as a great friend of secular culture,” Zuckerman said. “I see Islam as much more of a threat, much more debilitating. I’m not talking about Muslim individuals that I happen to sit next to on an airplane or are my neighbors. I’m talking about doctrines and those that have the power to enforce those doctrines in the form of Sharia law.”

Zuckerman mentioned comedian Bill Maher, actor Ben Affleck and atheist and author Sam Harris and the reaction to their remarks about Islam.

“I would say two things,” Zuckerman said. “I know what keeps me from critiquing Islam on my blog is just fear.

“I’ve got three kids,” he said. “So I know I can say anything about Christianity or Mormonism, and I’m not living in fear, which is a testament to Christianity and Mormonism, and that’s wonderful. Thank you.

“I would never write the same kind of stuff that I do about certain religions – Judaism, Christianity, LDS, whatever – as I would about Islam – just straight up fear,” Zuckerman said.
As an atheist I agree. Those guys will kill your ass. The Muslims are a great example of how the God hypothesis is bad for us. But don't tell them I said it.

Atheists in collectivist countries have murdered orders of magnitude more people in the last 135 years than all of the victims of religion over the last 2,000 years. If you want to compare murder rates you lose.

Was nazi Germans athiests or Catholics? That's how they got Italy and Rome to go along. Christians all of them.

The official religion of Nazi Germany was no religion. Well. Not entirely true, Himmler was fascinated with Norse mythology, and incorporated some of that in his SS regalia, but officially religion was tolerated. However, the eventual goal was to replace all religions with a "volksgemeinschaft" where the Party was the new religion.

And while the Japanese were Shintoists or Confusionist's for the most part, Tojo however was supposed to be Buddhist. Care to tell us where Buddhism advocates mass murder?
Didn't Christian America drop a bomb on heroshima and nakasaki? Mass murder. Didn't we wipe out millions of Indians? Do you know Americas history?

Bottom line was the sheep of Germany were manipulated with Christianity. Hiter used it to control and manipulate.

And still, that wasn't christianity.

And still, that wasn't christianity.
They thought it was...just like you think yours is. Someone there is a Christian thinking that what you practice isn't christianity....and round and round it goes.

Yes, The USA did indeed drop the bombs. Bombs that saved hundreds of thousands of JAPANESE lives. You should read some history before you start making stupid comments like that. What is truly amusing is you conflate war time killing with the gulag system of the Soviet Union which did nothing but murder mass numbers of people so that they wouldn't question Stalins rule.

Yes, The USA did indeed drop the bombs. Bombs that saved hundreds of thousands of JAPANESE lives. You should read some history before you start making stupid comments like that. What is truly amusing is you conflate war time killing with the gulag system of the Soviet Union which did nothing but murder mass numbers of people so that they wouldn't question Stalins rule.
Everyone's got a justification.

How come God never talks to women? Too unbelievable?
That's when they get burned at the stake....see Joan of Arc.
She was a sister that really cooked. Now I get that song lyric.

Bet most of the Russians then and now believe in God.

How come God never talks to women? Too unbelievable?
That's when they get burned at the stake....see Joan of Arc.
She was a sister that really cooked. Now I get that song lyric.

Bet most of the Russians then and now believe in God.

S

Saddam questioned Bush's rule.

That's not a justification. That is a fact. The Japanese government had decided that Gottadamrung was preferable to surrender. The Bombs put an end to that bullshit. Hirohito finally figured out that Tojo and his minions were insane so he took the government back after the second bomb was dropped. This is all well known history. So why don't you know it?

Additionally, as I tried to make the point of in the thread about it, it's just the Muslim countries who can't be bothered to make laws against child pornography. Can read about it here:

- Despite Increase in Global Child Protection Laws Many Countries Still Do Not Consider Child Pornography A Crime

" These 53 countries currently have no law on child pornography:

Afghanistan, Algeria, Angola, Antigua and Barbuda, Bahrain, Benin, Burkina Faso, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Congo, Cote d'Ivoire, Dominica, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gabon, Ghana, Grenada, Guinea, Guinea Bissau, Guyana, Haiti, Iran, Iraq, Kiribati, Kuwait, Lebanon, Lesotho, Libya, Maldives, Marshall Islands, Micronesia, Mozambique, Namibia, Nauru, Niger, North Korea, Pakistan, Palau, St. Lucia, Samoa, Sao Tome and Principe, Solomon Islands, Somalia, Swaziland, Syria, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Tuvalu, Uzbekistan, Yemen, and Zimbabwe."
While many of those nations are Muslim, many are not.

Your statement appears to be inaccurate.

More accurate than inaccurate.
Not really. What do you consider a Muslim country? For example St Lucia, Ethiopia, Ghana, North Korea are not Muslim countries.

Broad daylight in the UK, this prick murdered a serving British soldier as he was running down the street.

1838365.jpg
Not my concern. What did that have to do with my post?

Look at the title of the OP. It is right on the mark. It should be your concern. It should concern all of us.

Debatable. And they didn't kill because of athiesm, did they?

Not even close to debatable. The most wildly optimistic estimates for religious murders is slightly more than 1.5 million. There simply weren't that many people out there to be murdered for one thing. Stalin alone is responsible for between 35 and 60 million. Mao another 150 million, and we would be remiss to not include Hitler and his 5 to 6 million. Pol Pot 2 million, etc.

Great post. Very informative and factual. I appreciate your taking the time to spell it out, Westwall! You're right! Communism (which claims to be atheist) has been responsible for more death than all other religions combined.

That's not a justification. That is a fact. The Japanese government had decided that Gottadamrung was preferable to surrender. The Bombs put an end to that bullshit. Hirohito finally figured out that Tojo and his minions were insane so he took the government back after the second bomb was dropped. This is all well known history. So why don't you know it?
It is a justification....we think of it as a good one....the Japanese may not.

Debatable. And they didn't kill because of athiesm, did they?

Great post. Very informative and factual. I appreciate your taking the time to spell it out, Westwall! You're right! Communism (which claims to be atheist) has been responsible for more death than all other religions combined.
That's a pretty amazing claim considering that Communism has had only "135 years" of existance to do its dirty work while religions have been around doing their dirty work for several millennium.

It is a justification....we think of it as a good one....the Japanese may not.

The Japanese who died no doubt agree with you. The hundreds of thousands who were not forced to pick up a spear and attack the Marines as they landed on the beaches though, they, and their children, do not.

Forum List

Back