Atheist: Okay to Disparage Christians, But Islam Off-Limits Because of ‘Fear’

As an atheist I agree. Those guys will kill your ass. The Muslims are a great example of how the God hypothesis is bad for us. But don't tell them I said it.

Atheists in collectivist countries have murdered orders of magnitude more people in the last 135 years than all of the victims of religion over the last 2,000 years. If you want to compare murder rates you lose.
Debatable. And they didn't kill because of athiesm, did they?

Not even close to debatable. The most wildly optimistic estimates for religious murders is slightly more than 1.5 million. There simply weren't that many people out there to be murdered for one thing. Stalin alone is responsible for between 35 and 60 million. Mao another 150 million, and we would be remiss to not include Hitler and his 5 to 6 million. Pol Pot 2 million, etc.

So no. Atheists are the most murderous group this planet has ever seen.

Great post. Very informative and factual. I appreciate your taking the time to spell it out, Westwall! You're right! Communism (which claims to be atheist) has been responsible for more death than all other religions combined.
That's a pretty amazing claim considering that Communism has had only "135 years" of existance to do its dirty work while religions have been around doing their dirty work for several millennium.

Not at all. Collectivist countries were able to industrialize murder on a scale unheard of. If you were killed back in the old days the religious nutters hunting you down had to catch you first. The collectivists on the other hand built these large camps to house their enemies in. It's much easier to track you down after you've been starved for a year or two.

You, who claim to have been in the military, don't KNOW this?:cuckoo:

It's so refreshing to finally see someone from the left tell the unvarnished truth.

(CNSNews.com) – An atheist professor said Tuesday that it’s acceptable to criticize Christians but not Muslims, because he does not “fear” retaliation from Christians.

“I know what keeps me from critiquing Islam on my blog is just fear,” Phil Zuckerman said at a discussion on religious liberty at Georgetown University in Washington, D.C. “I’ve got three kids.

“So I know I can say anything about Christianity or Mormonism, and I’m not living in fear, which is a testament to Christianity and Mormonism, and that’s wonderful. Thank you,” said Zuckerman, who is a self-described atheist and professor of secular studies at Pitzer College in Claremont, Calif.

Zuckerman was a panelist at the discussion as part of Georgetown University’s Religious Freedom Project at its Berkley Center.

Kirsten Powers, a Democratic pundit, recent convert to Catholicism and author of the book “How the Left Is Killing Free Speech,” said at the event that she does not understand why Muslims can oppose same-sex marriage and not be targeted by the Left for it, but calling out Christians for their beliefs is acceptable.

Powers cited the hidden video recordings made earlier this year by Steven Crowder, who asked Muslim bakers in Michigan if they would bake a cake for a same-sex wedding and they refused.

“If these had been Christian bakeries, it would have been on the front page of the New York Times, so I’m wondering why we’re able to have this amicable, disagreement with Muslims for having this view,” Powers said. “Why are we not able to do that with Christians?

“I absolutely agree with you,” Zuckerman said.

“I absolutely agree that it is okay for those on the left to critique, mock, deride Christianity, but Islam gets a free pass, which is so strange, because if you care about women’s rights, if you care about human rights, if you care about gay rights, then really Islam is much more problematic – sorry to paint Islam with a huge brush – and much more devastating,” he said.

“As an atheist – where on planet Earth is the death penalty meted out to atheists?” Zuckerman said. “It’s only in, I think, 24 Muslim countries.

“Where have human rights flourished the most? In Christian nations,” he said.

“I see Christianity as a great friend of secular culture,” Zuckerman said. “I see Islam as much more of a threat, much more debilitating. I’m not talking about Muslim individuals that I happen to sit next to on an airplane or are my neighbors. I’m talking about doctrines and those that have the power to enforce those doctrines in the form of Sharia law.”

Zuckerman mentioned comedian Bill Maher, actor Ben Affleck and atheist and author Sam Harris and the reaction to their remarks about Islam.

“I would say two things,” Zuckerman said. “I know what keeps me from critiquing Islam on my blog is just fear.

“I’ve got three kids,” he said. “So I know I can say anything about Christianity or Mormonism, and I’m not living in fear, which is a testament to Christianity and Mormonism, and that’s wonderful. Thank you.

“I would never write the same kind of stuff that I do about certain religions – Judaism, Christianity, LDS, whatever – as I would about Islam – just straight up fear,” Zuckerman said.
As an atheist I agree. Those guys will kill your ass. The Muslims are a great example of how the God hypothesis is bad for us. But don't tell them I said it.

Atheists in collectivist countries have murdered orders of magnitude more people in the last 135 years than all of the victims of religion over the last 2,000 years. If you want to compare murder rates you lose.

Not even close to debatable. The most wildly optimistic estimates for religious murders is slightly more than 1.5 million. There simply weren't that many people out there to be murdered for one thing. Stalin alone is responsible for between 35 and 60 million. Mao another 150 million, and we would be remiss to not include Hitler and his 5 to 6 million. Pol Pot 2 million, etc.

You didn't listen to a word we've said. You believe what you want to believe.

The German Nazis were Christians. Bush killed 1 million in Iraq alone. Did you count that? That was Christian Americans killing Muslims.

I don't care if bush or Hitler were athiests. What were the Germans in 1944? What was America in 2003? Christians! Your math is fuzzy.
Bush killed 1 million? OK, let's run with those phony numbers. Godless Communist governments of 20th century murdered an estimated 160 million of their own citizens.
Funny how the left are never upset about that.
It's like their faux outrage at war. Anyone see Cindy Sheehan or Code Pink now that Obama has invaded Syria?

Last edited:
Didn't Christian America drop a bomb on heroshima and nakasaki? Mass murder. Didn't we wipe out millions of Indians? Do you know Americas history?

Bottom line was the sheep of Germany were manipulated with Christianity. Hiter used it to control and manipulate.

Why it was OK to kill millions of Jews.

Yes, The USA did indeed drop the bombs. Bombs that saved hundreds of thousands of JAPANESE lives. You should read some history before you start making stupid comments like that. What is truly amusing is you conflate war time killing with the gulag system of the Soviet Union which did nothing but murder mass numbers of people so that they wouldn't question Stalins rule.
Everyone's got a justification.

That's not a justification. That is a fact. The Japanese government had decided that Gottadamrung was preferable to surrender. The Bombs put an end to that bullshit. Hirohito finally figured out that Tojo and his minions were insane so he took the government back after the second bomb was dropped. This is all well known history. So why don't you know it?
It is a justification....we think of it as a good one....the Japanese may not.

The Japanese who died no doubt agree with you. The hundreds of thousands who were not forced to pick up a spear and attack the Marines as they landed on the beaches though, they, and their children, do not.
The civilians? Yes, I'm sure they do agree with me. I always wondered why, after we destroyed their navy and air force we didn't just bottle up Japan....

Great post. Very informative and factual. I appreciate your taking the time to spell it out, Westwall! You're right! Communism (which claims to be atheist) has been responsible for more death than all other religions combined.
That's a pretty amazing claim considering that Communism has had only "135 years" of existance to do its dirty work while religions have been around doing their dirty work for several millennium.

Not at all. Collectivist countries were able to industrialize murder on a scale unheard of. If you were killed back in the old days the religious nutters hunting you down had to catch you first. The collectivists on the other hand built these large camps to house their enemies in. It's much easier to track you down after you've been starved for a year or two.

What numbers are you talking? 1 billion? 2 billon? 10 billon in the last "135 years"? Still compare that to the last several millennium, if you will.

The German Nazis were Christians. Bush killed 1 million in Iraq alone. Did you count that? That was Christian Americans killing Muslims.

I don't care if bush or Hitler were athiests. What were the Germans in 1944? What was America in 2003? Christians! Your math is fuzzy.
Bush killed 1 million? OK, let's run with those phones numbers. Godless Communist governments of 20th century murdered an estimated 160 million of their own citizens.
It's like their faux outrage at war. Anyone see Cindy Sheehan or Code Pink now that Obama has invaded Syria?
I'm curious where you got that 160 figure. Share plz.

I agree in large numbers killed....but is it even feasable to kill the billions in "135 years" to make up for the numbers over millennium?

And I am curious as to what my military service has to do with this topic? Let's be a bit more professional/mature, eh?

Quick question...were the Soviets and ComChinese killing people in the name of atheism?

Yes. The atheists were killing those of faith because they were perceived as a threat. Just prior to Stalins death he was preparing to begin the elimination of the Jews within the Soviet Union. Why do you think the churches were shuttered and religious activities went underground? If you were where the authorities could see you, you died.

You really haven't read much history have you?

Sad.

Bush killed 1 million? OK, let's run with those phones numbers. Godless Communist governments of 20th century murdered an estimated 160 million of their own citizens.
I'm curious where you got that 160 figure. Share plz.
Funny how Leftard Universities never teach about what communism really does to societies. And when you are aware of it you shrug it off.

20th Century Democide

Quick question...were the Soviets and ComChinese killing people in the name of atheism?

Yes. The atheists were killing those of faith because they were perceived as a threat. Just prior to Stalins death he was preparing to begin the elimination of the Jews within the Soviet Union. Why do you think the churches were shuttered and religious activities went underground? If you were where the authorities could see you, you died.

Sad.
And Hitler did a very good job of eliminating Jew and gypsies and Jehovah's witnesses. That alone is a 6-10 million notch in religion's belt. And again, not to forget the several millennium of dirty deads by religion.

And I've read a great deal of history...that's why I'm surprised how easily you dismiss several 1,000s of years of religions killing people.

You kidding? The Church was THE primary threat to communism, and they knew it. Atheism is REQUIRED in communism. Otherwise you will look elsewhere in your needs other than the government.

You kidding? The Church was THE primary threat to communism, and they knew it. Atheism is REQUIRED in communism. Otherwise you will look elsewhere in your needs other than the government.
So you will go on record saying that the Soviets and ComChinese killed people because they were religious...not because of politics.

One curious point....how was "the church" a threat to the ComChinese?

Sad.
And Hitler did a very good job of eliminating Jew and gypsies and Jehovah's witnesses. That alone is a 6-10 million notch in religion's belt. And again, not to forget the several millennium of dirty deads by religion.

And I've read a great deal of history...that's why I'm surprised how easily you dismiss several 1,000s of years of religions killing people.

Hitler was atheist. I never dismiss any murders of innocents. I just know that the industrialized murder of the atheistic collectivist countries dwarfs anything the religious nutters of the past have done. Why do you dredge up truly ancient history in an effort to hide the very recent, and very real murders, that the progressives have done in the last century alone?

So you will go on record saying that the Soviets and ComChinese killed people because they were religious...not because of politics.

What political reason is there to rounding up a church and shipping off its membership to the gulag?

No, communism MURDERS anyone who is a perceived threat.
But get back to my point. What kind of shithead pervert can get outraged over fake numbers Bush supposedly killed yet shrug off 160 million of THEIR OWN FELLOW CITIZENS murdered by Comminism?

What political reason is there to rounding up a church and shipping off its membership to the gulag?
Excellent question.....I don't deny that the Soviets wanted to crush the power of the church. Was that their only target? I would have thought their targets also included White Russians, those that Stalin was afraid would supplant him (fellow atheistic communists) and a lot of people died simply because Stalin got it into his crazy head that they were somehow a threat (also fellow communists)

So...are you asserting that the millions upon millions the Soviets killed were church goers?

And what about the ChiComs?

No, communism MURDERS anyone who is a perceived threat.
But get back to my point. What kind of shithead pervert can get outraged over fake numbers Bush supposedly killed yet shrug off 160 million of THEIR OWN FELLOW CITIZENS murdered by Comminism?
Not shrugging off anything....just curious where you got that 160 million figure.

Sad.

Hitler was atheist. I never dismiss any murders of innocents. I just know that the industrialized murder of the atheistic collectivist countries dwarfs anything the religious nutters of the past have done. Why do you dredge up truly ancient history in an effort to hide the very recent, and very real murders, that the progressives have done in the last century alone?
No...Hitler was christian.

Hitler's Christianity

This whole thread is bizarre. Someone arguing that their religion is superior because "it is responsible for the murder of millions but others killed more".

'Christianity, join us! - sure we've murdered millions, but we murder less than the other guys'.

It's so refreshing to finally see someone from the left tell the unvarnished truth.

(CNSNews.com) – An atheist professor said Tuesday that it’s acceptable to criticize Christians but not Muslims, because he does not “fear” retaliation from Christians.

“I know what keeps me from critiquing Islam on my blog is just fear,” Phil Zuckerman said at a discussion on religious liberty at Georgetown University in Washington, D.C. “I’ve got three kids.

“So I know I can say anything about Christianity or Mormonism, and I’m not living in fear, which is a testament to Christianity and Mormonism, and that’s wonderful. Thank you,” said Zuckerman, who is a self-described atheist and professor of secular studies at Pitzer College in Claremont, Calif.

Zuckerman was a panelist at the discussion as part of Georgetown University’s Religious Freedom Project at its Berkley Center.

Kirsten Powers, a Democratic pundit, recent convert to Catholicism and author of the book “How the Left Is Killing Free Speech,” said at the event that she does not understand why Muslims can oppose same-sex marriage and not be targeted by the Left for it, but calling out Christians for their beliefs is acceptable.

Powers cited the hidden video recordings made earlier this year by Steven Crowder, who asked Muslim bakers in Michigan if they would bake a cake for a same-sex wedding and they refused.

“If these had been Christian bakeries, it would have been on the front page of the New York Times, so I’m wondering why we’re able to have this amicable, disagreement with Muslims for having this view,” Powers said. “Why are we not able to do that with Christians?

“I absolutely agree with you,” Zuckerman said.

“I absolutely agree that it is okay for those on the left to critique, mock, deride Christianity, but Islam gets a free pass, which is so strange, because if you care about women’s rights, if you care about human rights, if you care about gay rights, then really Islam is much more problematic – sorry to paint Islam with a huge brush – and much more devastating,” he said.

“As an atheist – where on planet Earth is the death penalty meted out to atheists?” Zuckerman said. “It’s only in, I think, 24 Muslim countries.

“Where have human rights flourished the most? In Christian nations,” he said.

“I see Christianity as a great friend of secular culture,” Zuckerman said. “I see Islam as much more of a threat, much more debilitating. I’m not talking about Muslim individuals that I happen to sit next to on an airplane or are my neighbors. I’m talking about doctrines and those that have the power to enforce those doctrines in the form of Sharia law.”

Zuckerman mentioned comedian Bill Maher, actor Ben Affleck and atheist and author Sam Harris and the reaction to their remarks about Islam.

“I would say two things,” Zuckerman said. “I know what keeps me from critiquing Islam on my blog is just fear.

“I’ve got three kids,” he said. “So I know I can say anything about Christianity or Mormonism, and I’m not living in fear, which is a testament to Christianity and Mormonism, and that’s wonderful. Thank you.

“I would never write the same kind of stuff that I do about certain religions – Judaism, Christianity, LDS, whatever – as I would about Islam – just straight up fear,” Zuckerman said.
That's because there is a pecking order in the world now. Islam is at the top, then homosexuals, then everyone else. It's why you get faux outrage at a Christian baker refusing to cater a homosexual marriage but not a Muslim refusing. Ever hear a leftist denounce how Islam treats women and homosexuals? Nope.
What Muslim baker is refusing to bake a gay wedding cake?
A Guy Walked Into a Muslim Bakery and Ordered a Gay Wedding Cake…
Weatherman - educating Leftards since 1978

Forum List

Back