Attempted Military Coup in Turkey

I think this is the third or fourth military coup in Turkey. The military are historically pro secular and pro democracy.

I don't know about that, seeing as how they're all pretty much Muslims. They just don't want to serve under a dictator.
Learn something, for fuck's sake. You're embarrassing yourself.

Make a real point if you must. But shut the fuck up otherwise, ass hat.
I already did - post #70. Not my fault you didn't read it.

Turkey is one of our NATO allies and a stable presence in the area. Erdogan appeared to be moving towards a more Islamic rule, and yet we don't know what his removal will bring. Look what filled the void in Iraq.He was also a democratically elected president. I hate to think how much Trump would have to be brought up to speed to deal with something like this if he were president.

Why would I check FOX News? It's being carried by legitimate news sources.

And how is Kerry clueless? Better yet, is he as clueless as the current regime?

Wow, it seems Turkey has a history of banning religious parties. Very interesting to see where this path leads from here...

All previous Islamist parties in Turkey had been shut down by either military intervention or rulings by the constitutional court: The National Order Party, founded in 1970, was banned by the Constitutional Court in 1971. The National Salvation Party, founded in 1972, was outlawed after the 1980 military coup. The Welfare Party, founded in 1983, was banned by the Constitutional Court in 1998. The Virtue Party, founded in 1997, was banned in 2001.

Turkey is notable because its Islamist parties have reemerged, more moderate and pragmatic, after each closure. “Autocratic regimes in the Muslim world often ban religious parties, which then go underground and turn violent. Turkey’s Islamists have taken a different path. Despite being repeatedly outlawed and ejected from power, pious politicians have shunned violence, embraced democracy, and moved into the mainstream,” The Economist noted in 2008. “No Islamic party has been as moderate and pro-Western as the AKP, which catapulted into government in 2002 promising to lead Turkey into the European Union.”

Erdoğan, who founded the party, actually rejects defining the AKP in religious terms. “We are not an Islamic party, and we also refuse labels such as Muslim-democrat,” he said in 2005. The AKP leader instead calls the party’s agenda “conservative democracy.”

Islamist Politics in Turkey: The New Model?

The only way a Muslim country can be remotely peaceful is if it's ruled by an iron secular fist. If you let Muslims vote, they'll always end up voting in more and more extremists.
That's absolutely false. They voted for Tanser Ciller (a woman!) in 1990(?), Yilmaz, Gul, Demirel, Ecovit, Ozal, and others since the last coup in 1980. None of them tried to turn the country into an Islamist regime until Erdogan.

Tansu Çiller was pretty good for Secular Turkey.

Tansu Çiller - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It is too late, believe me. Turkey toady isn't one ten years ago.

This may not be such a bad thing. Turkey has been a Middle Eastern country with a more European culture. Erdogan has been trying to assert more Islamic power into the equation, which I think is not a good thing.

The U.S. and NATO should really stay out of this, but I predict they will condemn the coup and support the current government just like they did when this happened in Thailand two years ago.

I think this is the third or fourth military coup in Turkey. The military are historically pro secular and pro democracy.

I don't know about that, seeing as how they're all pretty much Muslims. They just don't want to serve under a dictator.
Learn something, for fuck's sake. You're embarrassing yourself.

Make a real point if you must. But shut the fuck up otherwise, ass hat.

That's my post, you fucking moron.

And if you're going to go back looking for sh**, don't just give me a number. Copy/paste your sh**. I happened to go back this time (to see you're a fucking moron). But don't think I tend to give a sh** about searching sh** out for a fucking puke like you.

For all the low information posters: The military has always guaranteed that Ataturk's vision of a Western, secular democratic country would continue. Whenever any leader strays too far from that, the military launches a coup.

The only reason it's taken this long with Erdogan is when he first took power he purged senior military and replaced them with loyalists.

This may not be such a bad thing. Turkey has been a Middle Eastern country with a more European culture. Erdogan has been trying to assert more Islamic power into the equation, which I think is not a good thing.

The U.S. and NATO should really stay out of this, but I predict they will condemn the coup and support the current government just like they did when this happened in Thailand two years ago.

Erdy was the reason Turkey was not doing anything against ISIS. That may not have been the main reason for the coup; but I guarantee some factions resented that.

Iran closes border with Turkey, places armed forces on high alert, Tabnak reports.

#Breaking: #Iran army is on high alert, security council to hold emergency meeting following coup attempt in #Turkey.

Turkey may be a strict Islamic nation by the end of the day.

I believe the point of this coup is to prevent that from happening.

Since the founding of modern Turkey in 1923 the military has staged coups in 1960, 1971 and 1980 – and intervened in 1997.

The military had long seen itself as the guardian of Turkey’s secular system, established by the country’s founder, Mustafa Kemal Ataturk. But in recent years a series of sensational trials had pushed the military back to its barracks, which analysts said had secured civilian leadership over the military.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/16/w...-coup-in-turkey-prime-minister-says.html?_r=0

For all the low information posters: The military has always guaranteed that Ataturk's vision of a Western, secular democratic country would continue. Whenever any leader strays too far from that, the military launches a coup.

The only reason it's taken this long with Erdogan is when he first took power he purged senior military and replaced them with loyalists.

That's how you make a clear concise point. Remember that.

The exiled leader is urging the people to take to the streets in protest.....but with guns and shit all over the place who is that brave.......Again the world is looking at the US to solve this mf problem, while China, the Saudis and the rest of the planet, count their coins and go with business as usual. Its time the US leave the muslim countries to their own demise, if their people don't give a shit and want to flee, than gotdamit why must we give a fuck>>>>>

Hostages taken at Turkish Military Headquarters

If NATO gets involved chaos will ensue...

This is exactly why this Islamist country should be booted out of NATO. No way we should be obligated to go to war for these Islamist phucks.

Should we only be obligated to go to war for Christian phucks?

I am not generally in favor of military coups but the Military will certainly be more in the model of Ataturk rather than Erdogan's Islamism- so kicking an Islamic country of out NATO- for becoming less 'Islamist' seems rather counter productive.

That's my post, you fucking moron.

And if you're going to go back looking for sh**, don't just give me a number. Copy/paste your sh**. I happened to go back this time (to see you're a fucking moron). But don't think I tend to give a sh** about searching sh** out for a fucking puke like you.
You're so fucking stupid. The post number is in the upper right-hand corner, retard.

NjjPyQ7.png

Hurray, viva Ataturk. Let's hope the military can topple that Islamist piece of shit Erdogan and return Turkey to secularism. Ban the Hijab!

Forum List

Back