Before 1860 secession was considered to be constitutional

Did you know that some early versions of the wording of the Constitution began with

We the States, but were ultimately changed to We the People?

The declaration was written a decade before the constitution. It was a political document that listed the grievances that brought on the revolution. It did not then and does not now have any force of law.

When the constitution came along it was acknowledged that the government could, and would, be changed at the ballot box.

No brainer!

Both Jefferson and Madison, the father of the Constitution, announced their support for secession and nullification, so any claims that it was illegal ring hollow.

I've already quoted Madison verbatim in opposition to secession. One more reminder to all here that bripat doesn't even read anyone else's posts.

Earlier he came out for secession, so he seems to be rather split on the issue.

Links for secession. You won't find it.

I've already posted dozens of quotes on the subject, moron.

Madison did not support secession.

He did when Congress passed the Alien and Sedition acts.

However, TJ did write that to William B. Giles in Dec. 26, 1825, that secession was only acceptable "when the sole alternatives left, are the dissolution of our Union with them, or submission to a government without limitation of powers.” The South faced even remotely neither of those situations.

Sure it did. It found submission to the federal government intolerable, so the only other options were secession.

Thomas Jefferson just admitted that secession was legitimate. He said so numerous times.

Last edited:
I've already posted dozens of quotes on the subject, moron.

However, TJ did write that to William B. Giles in Dec. 26, 1825, that secession was only acceptable "when the sole alternatives left, are the dissolution of our Union with them, or submission to a government without limitation of powers.” The South faced even remotely neither of those situations.

It found submission to the federal government intolerable, so the only other options were secession.

Only legitimate subject two very unique, specific situations that neither existed in 1860.

Jefferson, if he had been president, would have ordered the South invaded and subdued.

It found submission to the federal government intolerable, so the only other options were secession.

Only legitimate subject two very unique, specific situations that neither existed in 1860.

ROFL! Every situation is unique, Fakey. If you endorse secession for one situation, then you can't automatically reject it for every other situation.

Jefferson, if he had been president, would have ordered the South invaded and subdued.

Not a chance, hosebag. Jefferson wasn't a bloodthirsty tyrant like Lincoln.

ROFL! Every situation is unique, Fakey. If you endorse secession for one situation, then you can't automatically reject it for every other situation.

Don't have any points at all now, do you? Your point is fail.

Once again for ohh so slow and ignorant. Lincoln did NOTHING about the States leaving UNTIL South Carolina opened fire on Fort Sumter. ONLY then did he act. And barely in time. The South had already started raising Armies of AGGRESSION.

This is for all you servile turds who believe the Constitution outlaws secession:

"During the weeks following the [1860] election, [Northern newspaper] editors of all parties assumed that secession as a constitutional right was not in question . . . . On the contrary, the southern claim to a right of peaceable withdrawal was countenanced out of reverence for the natural law principle of government by consent of the governed."

~ Howard Cecil Perkins, editor, Northern Editorials on Secession, p. 10

The first several generations of Americans understood that the Declaration of Independence was the ultimate states’ rights document. The citizens of the states would delegate certain powers to a central government in their Constitution, and these powers (mostly for national defense and foreign policy purposes) would hopefully be exercised for the benefit of the citizens of the "free and independent" states, as they are called in the Declaration.

The understanding was that if American citizens were in fact to be the masters rather than the servants of government, they themselves would have to police the national government that was created by them for their mutual benefit. If the day ever came that the national government became the sole arbiter of the limits of its own powers, then Americans would live under a tyranny as bad or worse than the one the colonists fought a revolution against. As the above quotation denotes, the ultimate natural law principle behind this thinking was Jefferson’s famous dictum in the Declaration of Independence that governments derive their just powers from the consent of the governed, and that whenever that consent is withdrawn the people of the free and independent states, as sovereigns, have a duty to abolish that government and replace it with a new one if they wish.

This was the fundamental understanding of the meaning of the Declaration of Independence – that it was a Declaration of Secession from the British empire – of the first several generations of Americans. As the 1, 107-page book, Northern Editorials on Secession shows, this view was held just as widely in the Northern states as in the Southern states in 1860-1861. Among the lone dissenters was Abe Lincoln, a corporate lawyer/lobbyist/politician with less than a year of formal education who probably never even read The Federalist Papers.

What Americans Used To Know About the Declaration of Independence by Thomas DiLorenzo

Considering that the same generation responsible for the writing and ratification of the Constitution also essentially seceded from Great Britain via the Declaration of Independence (and, you know, that whole American Revolution thing), it's hard to imagine why anyone would believe they would make secession illegal.

It was and still is Constitutional, states can never be subordinate to an entity they created.

And people always have the right to walk away from associations they no longer find desirable. The right to overthrow one's master (or those who aspire to be one's master) goes without saying, I would hope.

Having the power to tax and abusing the power to tax are two different things.

Who determines what abuse is? For a number of years most Americans have desired higher taxes on the rich.

poll + taxes + rich - Bing

The rich already pay a higher tax rate. I never understood the idea that they don't. If you make more money then you're in a higher tax bracket. plain and simple.

To answer your question I would say that an abuse of taxes would the "investment" of my tax dollars in party-affiliated, agenda-affiliated, industries. I would also say an abuse of taxation would be the handing over of billions of dollars to other nations while people starve in my nation. I would say an abuse of taxation would be the spending of billions on undeclared wars. Those are just off the top of my head. This is aside from the point that I believe an income tax is ridiculous way to generate income for the government; exhibit "A" being that they/we are broke and in debt as a nation.

So another "patriotic" right wing kook wants to disolve the union because someone he didnt like won an election. Give it a rest already chump. You lost, get over it.

No, dumb shit, we want you to understand that we have the right to walk away from you and yours if you become too abusive in the pursuit of your "holy quest" to make everyone agree with your half-assed leftist philosophies. Liberals are too attached to the idea that the people of the United States are helpless prisoners and a captive audience to their wackjob social engineering. We aren't, and we're simply notifying you that we're aware of it.

But by all means, DO continue to post ALL about how you won and you can do whatever you want without regard for the wishes of others. It can only help us.

bripat disdains authority and will tell you so. Basically, he does not want to pay taxes and behave appropriately in modern society.

His legal theories are obviously nonsense.

Of course, you are utterly incapable of proving it, Fakey. That's why all your posts are little more than personal attacks.

You are merely describing the anarcho-weirdoes like yourself.

You have never been able to explain your theories in such a way that normal people can understand them.

The Constitution and our state and national governments are a very good way to live today.

Not that I'm an anarchist, but without looking up the definition can you tell me what "Anarchy" means?

Once again for ohh so slow and ignorant. Lincoln did NOTHING about the States leaving UNTIL South Carolina opened fire on Fort Sumter. ONLY then did he act. And barely in time. The South had already started raising Armies of AGGRESSION.

Was Fort Sumter South Carolina Property?

How many northeners were killed by SC Troops?

How were the Southernes supposed to deal with the northerner intransigency?

1. Ft Sumter was federal property.

2. One Union soldier was killed, and since the South opened fire, that death was murder.

3. South Carolina had no legal authorization to use force against national troops on national property.

the states that seceded invaded the states that stayed in the union?

They fired the first shots. Guess it backfired.

The federal government was occupying South Carolina territory, and it sent ships into South Carolina waters to resupply the Fort. Both those are acts of war. Who fired the first shot is irrelevant.

Quite true. If someone tries to mug me with a knife and I shoot him with a gun, I fired the first shots, but only a leftists could say that I started the fight.

Okay, so let's say a state considers seceding, and by a referendum vote of 70 to 30%,

they vote for secession.

What about the 30% who voted against it? Can the State force them to leave the Union against their will?

You're contradicting you're previous argument. By this logic I shouldn't have to pay a certain tax because it was passed by a legislator that I didn't vote for...especially if I don't agree with what the tax money is being spent on; yes?

1. Ft Sumter was federal property.

2. One Union soldier was killed, and since the South opened fire, that death was murder.

3. South Carolina had no legal authorization to use force against national troops on national property.

1. Ft Sumter was CSA territory,the CSA having declared its independence from the USA.
2.He died when a cannon exploded had nothing to do with the CSA attack.
3. They had every right to attack a fort that was going to attack the city.

Last edited:
No one actually died in the battle and no one got seriously injured. But, on april 14th when Major Anderson wanted to have a 100-gun salute before the American flag was taken down, a spark fell into a supply of gunpowder and expolded. Private Daniel Hough was seriously injured and died.

See brilliance...you keep showing us how wrong you can be.

Forum List

Back