🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Ben Carson refers to slaves as "immigrants"

Calling slaves "immigrants" is a euphemism. There's a difference between those who chose to come here and those who were kidnapped and brought here. A vast difference.
Yes there is, but the same vast difference is true of those who choose to come here illegally, yet there are some who insist they are immigrants...btw, who kidnapped them?

Not really. Legal or illegal, immigrants are those who move to a new country.

That's Carsons logic and by extension now, yours...this what I meant when I said liberals still refer to illegals as immigrants...illegals are no more or less an immigrant than slaves.

That's Carsons logic and by extension now, yours...this what I meant when I said liberals still refer to illegals as immigrants...illegals are no more or less an immigrant than slaves.

Of course they are. They are immigrating. Slaves were kidnapped, sold, etc. They did not perform the action of immigration.

You are the one struggling with the real meaning of this word.

Definition of immigrant
  1. : one that immigrates: such asa : a person who comes to a country to take up permanent residence

Ben Carson was NOT trying to downplay slavery.

His point, whatever it was, was something else, and that has been buried by manufactured outrage.

Let's overlook words like "fascist", "fascism", "democracy", etc., that so many twist tortuously. Let's just look at the above 'definition' of the word that has been put falsely forward for purposes of obfuscation. First, slaves were not 'persons' and had no standing in court; they were chattel. They did not 'come' to America, they were delivered against their will. And whatever will they had was certainly not to stay in a hostile foreign land. It is devoid of understanding and humanity to defend such a laughable proposition as calling them 'immigrants'.

And don't forget what Ben actually said:
'There were other immigrants who came in the bottom of slave ships, who worked even longer, even harder, for less'

So he's saying that there where white immigrants on the Amistad who also came to America at the same times slaves were shipped in. And he's saying some of those whites worked long and harder and for less than slaves. Forget the fact they were free Ben.

HUD spokesman Brian Sullivan attempted to clarify Carson's statement, saying, "Nobody here believes he was equating voluntary immigration with involuntary servitude."
Critics quickly decried his comment.
"Ben Carson is also the guy who once compared Obamacare to slavery," tweeted Keith Boykin, a CNN political contributor. "I'm starting to think he may not understand the word 'slavery.'"

Ben Carson appeared to liken slaves to immigrants who choose to come to the United States

No one is picking on Ben. It's hard being a black racist who hates blacks.

It is sad to see you playing dumb like this.
To me it is sad you are putting all your trust in Trump. I'm skeptical and so should everyone be.

But Ben being dumb isn't going to make me NOT vote for Trump in 2020. I want to see results. Sorry I'm not a cheerleader like you. I don't buy it. And just when I start to want to buy it Trump's an idiot.

You haven't done anything yet and you haven't won anyone over yet. We are all skeptically watching. Causiously pessimistic.

Ben Carson was not claiming that there were white immigrants traveling in the bottom of slave ships.

YOu are not skeptically watching when you play games like that.

You are dishonestly undermining.

I think that is what he meant. Who knows what he meant. One guy explained it perfectly earlier. He's one of those guys who's real smart at what they do (brain surgery) but they are stupid in every other way. I seriously think he's got autism.

See you are too trusting of this administration just like I was of Obama. You need to have the same skeptical view of this government as you do any other government. This government might be more corrupt than any other. And his talk of helping blue collar seems to be that he's going to help poorly paid blue collar but he's really going to fuck over highly paid blue collar workers

Washington state ultimately managed to keep the jobs. But after the state offered the company major tax incentives and union members took concessions, many are left unsatisfied.

Machinist Wilson Ferguson mourns the pension his union fought so long to get — and keep.

"We didn't get that pension when we formed a union 78 years ago. We didn't get that pension till 1959," Ferguson says. "Now it's gone and will never be back."

Boeing Machinists' Plight Marks Changing Times For Labor

Of course they are. They are immigrating. Slaves were kidnapped, sold, etc. They did not perform the action of immigration.

Why does it matter if they came against their will? By the definition they're still immigrants.

Why does it matter if they came against their will? By the definition they're still immigrants.

They are a subset of immigrants, if you must.

But the word immigrant has connotations of voluntarily moving to another country.

I didn't create the English language, I just know it.

But the word immigrant has connotations of voluntarily moving to another country.

Is the same valid for "dreamers" who also did not come here voluntarily?

Not really. Legal or illegal, immigrants are those who move to a new country. While the word "immigrant" doesn't necessarily have being voluntary as part of the definition, the connotation is there. It's euphemistic. But in Carson's world, these "immigrants" weren't sold, they were "downsized."

Despite your spin, you just agreed with Carson on the facts.

Of course. But spin puts a new connotation on language.

For example, you're not dumb. Of course not. You are simply challenged when it comes to understanding concepts.

See what a nice euphemism does?

One of your fellow lefties said it very well.

Immigration is normally something a person does willingly.

BUt there are UNusual instances.

The Middle Passage was the largest of Forced Migrations.

When there is a word that describes the situation more clearly, then that word should be used. Plain English has a word for forced immigration, or unwilling immigration, of those who are not considered citizens, but property - that word is slavery. Euphemisms are used to obfuscate meaning.

Slavery does not always include moving to a new land.

Thus saying slavery when he was talking about the fact that those people were coming to America would have completely obfuscated the meaning.

Immigration is NORMALLY TODAY, a voluntary act.

In the past, less so.

The definition of immigration, which I have repeatedly posted, and linked to, does NOT have any mention of being voluntary.

Let's overlook words like "fascist", "fascism", "democracy", etc., that so many twist tortuously. Let's just look at the above 'definition' of the word that has been put falsely forward for purposes of obfuscation. First, slaves were not 'persons' and had no standing in court; they were chattel. They did not 'come' to America, they were delivered against their will. And whatever will they had was certainly not to stay in a hostile foreign land. It is devoid of understanding and humanity to defend such a laughable proposition as calling them 'immigrants'.

'There were other immigrants who came in the bottom of slave ships, who worked even longer, even harder, for less'

So he's saying that there where white immigrants on the Amistad who also came to America at the same times slaves were shipped in. And he's saying some of those whites worked long and harder and for less than slaves. Forget the fact they were free Ben.

HUD spokesman Brian Sullivan attempted to clarify Carson's statement, saying, "Nobody here believes he was equating voluntary immigration with involuntary servitude."
"Ben Carson is also the guy who once compared Obamacare to slavery," tweeted Keith Boykin, a CNN political contributor. "I'm starting to think he may not understand the word 'slavery.'"

Ben Carson appeared to liken slaves to immigrants who choose to come to the United States

To me it is sad you are putting all your trust in Trump. I'm skeptical and so should everyone be.

But Ben being dumb isn't going to make me NOT vote for Trump in 2020. I want to see results. Sorry I'm not a cheerleader like you. I don't buy it. And just when I start to want to buy it Trump's an idiot.

You haven't done anything yet and you haven't won anyone over yet. We are all skeptically watching. Causiously pessimistic.

Ben Carson was not claiming that there were white immigrants traveling in the bottom of slave ships.

I think that is what he meant. Who knows what he meant. One guy explained it perfectly earlier. He's one of those guys who's real smart at what they do (brain surgery) but they are stupid in every other way. I seriously think he's got autism.

See you are too trusting of this administration just like I was of Obama. You need to have the same skeptical view of this government as you do any other government. This government might be more corrupt than any other. And his talk of helping blue collar seems to be that he's going to help poorly paid blue collar but he's really going to fuck over highly paid blue collar workers

Washington state ultimately managed to keep the jobs. But after the state offered the company major tax incentives and union members took concessions, many are left unsatisfied.

Machinist Wilson Ferguson mourns the pension his union fought so long to get — and keep.

"We didn't get that pension when we formed a union 78 years ago. We didn't get that pension till 1959," Ferguson says. "Now it's gone and will never be back."

You do not think that is what he meant.

YOu are dishonestly trying to smear him. WIth a lame gotcha, based on a very shitty intentional mis-characterization of what he said.

Trump's Trade policy is likely wise NOT what you are characterizing it as.

What Jackson's point? Would he rather be back in Boongala Boongala Africa? He should be thankful his ancestors were slaves.
There it is!!!!!!! "He should be thankful his ancestors were slaves." Ding! Ding! Ding! We've got a Winnah!
They should be. What your point? Would you rather be back in Africa right now? However your ancestors got here...be thankful that they did and stop crying about your sheltered little life in the USA 2017.

What Jackson's point? Would he rather be back in Boongala Boongala Africa? He should be thankful his ancestors were slaves.
There it is!!!!!!! "He should be thankful his ancestors were slaves." Ding! Ding! Ding! We've got a Winnah!
You have absolutely zero to bitch about. Stop being a crybaby and lift yourself up. What do you want...pity? Social justice from blacks = pity party.

YOu are dishonestly trying to smear him. WIth a lame gotcha, based on a very shitty intentional mis-characterization of what he said.

I'm looking for the angle.

I don't care about Carson he's one of trumps pawns. Like Sarah Palin.

I'm looking for the angle.

I don't care about Carson he's one of trumps pawns. Like Sarah Palin.

YOur need to marginalize and dismiss people is kind of disgusting.

THat you have to lie about them in order to do so, is indefensible.

"It wasn't always easy for new immigrants. Certainly, it wasn't easy for those of African heritage who had not come here voluntarily and yet in their own way were immigrants themselves. There was discrimination and hardship and poverty. But, like you, they no doubt found inspiration in all those who had come before them. And they were able to muster faith that, here in America, they might build a better life and give their children something more."

ooooh, I look forward to the mental gymnastics to explain why that is "different"!

raw

Ben Carson was Right about Slaves as Immigrants

As usual, the leftist media goes gaga over nothing. Even more hilarious, they attack a man who is a hundred times more intelligent than the best of them. They claim that slavery cannot possibly equate to immigration. Did any of them ever bother to read dictionaries?

The Merriam-Webster Dictionary defines "immigrant" as meaning: a person who comes to a country to take up permanent residence.

Dictionary.com: a person who migrates to another country, usually for permanent residence.
Oxford Dictionary: A person who comes to live permanently in a foreign country.

Cambridge Dictionary: a person who has come into a foreign country in order to live there.

MacMillan Dictionary: someone who comes to live in a country from another country.
And finally, the 1828 Webster's Dictionary: A person that removes into a country for the purpose of permanent residence.

While we assume the meaning of the word immigrant means "voluntary" migration from one country to another, the reality is, the definition provided to us by dictionaries does not indicate whether or not that movement is considered voluntary, or involuntary, therefore, both must be assumed to be true.

Ya gotta love it. The original article is @ Political Pistachio: Ben Carson was Right about Slaves as Immigrants

"It wasn't always easy for new immigrants. Certainly, it wasn't easy for those of African heritage who had not come here voluntarily and yet in their own way were immigrants themselves. There was discrimination and hardship and poverty. But, like you, they no doubt found inspiration in all those who had come before them. And they were able to muster faith that, here in America, they might build a better life and give their children something more."

ooooh, I look forward to the mental gymnastics to explain why that is "different"!

raw

It's only different to people who worship Obabble and hate Carson for daring to be a conservative.

Ben Carson was Right about Slaves as Immigrants

As usual, the leftist media goes gaga over nothing. Even more hilarious, they attack a man who is a hundred times more intelligent than the best of them. They claim that slavery cannot possibly equate to immigration. Did any of them ever bother to read dictionaries?

The Merriam-Webster Dictionary defines "immigrant" as meaning: a person who comes to a country to take up permanent residence.

Dictionary.com: a person who migrates to another country, usually for permanent residence.
Oxford Dictionary: A person who comes to live permanently in a foreign country.

Cambridge Dictionary: a person who has come into a foreign country in order to live there.

MacMillan Dictionary: someone who comes to live in a country from another country.
And finally, the 1828 Webster's Dictionary: A person that removes into a country for the purpose of permanent residence.

While we assume the meaning of the word immigrant means "voluntary" migration from one country to another, the reality is, the definition provided to us by dictionaries does not indicate whether or not that movement is considered voluntary, or involuntary, therefore, both must be assumed to be true.

Ya gotta love it. The original article is @ Political Pistachio: Ben Carson was Right about Slaves as Immigrants

Great post. all definitions above also mentioning another word - country, meaning, in order to be an immigrant, person has to migrate legally and that brings me to the point:

Illegal aliens are not immigrants.

Forum List

Back