Best US States to live in??

You can have flat, steamy Florida. Upstate NY is cheap and has the same population it had in 1950. NYC is the greatest city in the USA, great place to visit lol.

The OP stated that he was a Conservative and already lived in New York. He was looking for a state more suitable to him, not to idiot Liberal trash like you.

Outside the five boros and Long Island, NY is conservative

Yep...Western NY is Republican.

LOL! You always go bonkers when presented with the fact lol. You have some kind of amnesty and simltaneously stop new ones from working with a good ID card. End of story. But you ARE hilarious lol.

lots of Democrats out here Frankie that will oppose an ID Card......can you get that through your fucking far left brain?....lots of Democrats are against Amnesty Frankie.....can you get that through your thick skull?..........you live in a town thats all white....you cant even begin to comprehend what its like living around Illegals..... and after the crack you made to me about Mexicans your credibility about this is kinda zero......so eat shit Frankie.....

The most (and least) livable states
The most (and least) livable states- MSN Money

The 10 Happiest States In The U.S.
The 10 Happiest States In The U.S. | Co.Exist | ideas + impact

This should help folks.

Waddya know, Utah is #1. There are a lot of good things about it but it's a bit of a nanny state in all the wrong ways. Local politicians are collectively a bunch of hayseed dimwits and for their survey, they must have steered way clear of the podunky small towns and most of Utah County.

I like Utah.

There's lots of open empty wild and beautiful places to roam where no one can tell you what to do.

I also have a soft spot for Montana.

You might be right about not swimming on New Years Day, but I've seen 80 degree water here on LI this year.

New Year's Day 1/1/11

What does Sea Pests: Man-o-War mean?

27441d1378269956-best-us-states-to-live-in-1-1-11-a.jpg

It means a jellyfish washed up and some idiot on vacation from New York figured it must be a deadly Portuguese Man of War. 999 of 1000 jellies that wash up on FL beaches will cause some pain and itching, but aren't lethal.

It's all relative. You make a lot, you spend a lot

Beyond that, it's all quality of life.
New York has everything depending on where you want to live. Arizona is beautiful, great weather and it's cities are developing

Texas and Florida.....
Texas is brown, flat and uninspiring.
Florida is flat, humid and is transplanted from NY. Beaches are great though

For $1200/mo I can get a 3 bedroom house with a yard and a garage in Florida. In New York, I can't get a 500 sq/ft studio apartment for that amount. Plus, the weather sucks in New York. Plus, the local government there taxes whatever money you have left-over after paying your rent. In Florida I can live minutes away from a nice beach with white sand. The water is 75 degrees - just right for swimming.

The quality of life is better in Florida, any way you look at it.

I feel stupid for even telling New Yorkers this stuff because the last thing I want is a bunch of New York assholes invading my little slice of paradise.

Supply and demand. You get a great deal because you are not getting a lot of competition to live there with mold and cockroaches the size of Great Danes....savvy?

The supply in New York is artificially limited by your fucked up government which imposes all kinds of land use restrictions and other regulations that pump up the price to impossible levels. If you've ever watched one of those shows on TV where they rehab housing you've probably seen an episode where the investors encountered a mold problem in their house. The governments in Northeastern states require you to treat this problem like it's toxic waste. A team of men dressed in these plastic suits with space helmets and completely covers the entire house in plastic. Then they take out the infected material and put it special containers. The workers have to take showers in a Clorox solution whenever they leave the property. The whole thing ends up costing the investors $30,000 or $40,000. Then people wonder why housing costs so much in New York state.

Florida and New York are roughly the same area and have roughly the same population, but property costs 4-5 times more in New York. Is there any rational reason for that?

Of course not.

What does Sea Pests: Man-o-War mean?

That is the current "pest" to watch for. Sharks are the worst. Stingrays can be rough, too.

I've lived in Florida for 14 years. I've never seen any of the animals you mention. they have sharks in New York too, ya know. I think the movie "Jaws" was shot in Massachusetts.

Last edited:
New York State has long been the wrong place for a conservative to live in. But where can I move? I need to move to a state with maximum liberties and yet with vibrant economy and infrastructure.

I did some researching online, but to no avail. There's a state reviews website at rateaplace.com, but it looks like a new website and, despite a good approach, there are no ratings/reviews.

So what do you think are the top states from such prospective? :confused:

Missouri, Texas or even Arkansas. In the west perhaps Wyoming. In the upper plains maybe the Dakotas. Less people usually mean fewer problems.

WY has no state income tax.

Neither does TX, but there you have heat, humidity, Mexicans, hurricanes, Fire ants. Its Ok if you don't go outside much, and like refried beans. The two are not always mutually compatable.

I've lived in Boulder County Colorado for the past 7 years: 5% state income Tax sucks, and local taxes are steeper than adjacent counties, but I'm going to learn to snow ski, and they've just opened up another bike trail near the house, and I see some spectacular sunsets

1095444129_Pgaqf-M-5.jpg

This is an average one...

I like Utah.

There's lots of open empty wild and beautiful places to roam where no one can tell you what to do.

I also have a soft spot for Montana.

Utah is a great place if you like outdoor recreation (esp. skiing) and/or are a foodie. Not so great if you like a good drink or night life. The weather leaves a lot to be desired as well.

For $1200/mo I can get a 3 bedroom house with a yard and a garage in Florida. In New York, I can't get a 500 sq/ft studio apartment for that amount. Plus, the weather sucks in New York. Plus, the local government there taxes whatever money you have left-over after paying your rent. In Florida I can live minutes away from a nice beach with white sand. The water is 75 degrees - just right for swimming.

The quality of life is better in Florida, any way you look at it.

I feel stupid for even telling New Yorkers this stuff because the last thing I want is a bunch of New York assholes invading my little slice of paradise.

Supply and demand. You get a great deal because you are not getting a lot of competition to live there with mold and cockroaches the size of Great Danes....savvy?

The supply in New York is artificially limited by your fucked up government which imposes all kinds of land use restrictions and other regulations that pump up the price to impossible levels. If you've ever watched one of those shows on TV where they rehab housing you've probably seen an episode where the investors encountered a mold problem in their house. The governments in Northeastern states require you to treat this problem like it's toxic waste. A team of men dressed in these plastic suits with space helmets and completely covers the entire house in plastic. Then they take out the infected material and put it special containers. The workers have to take showers in a Clorox solution whenever they leave the property. The whole thing ends up costing the investors $30,000 or $40,000. Then people wonder why housing costs so much in New York state.

Florida and New York are roughly the same area and have roughly the same population, but property costs 4-5 times more in New York. Is there any rational reason for that?

Of course not.

Of course one of the biggest turn offs about Florida is having people like you there. No wonder property is cheap. :D

New York State has long been the wrong place for a conservative to live in. But where can I move? I need to move to a state with maximum liberties and yet with vibrant economy and infrastructure.

I did some researching online, but to no avail. There's a state reviews website at US States - Rate & Review Places at Rate A Place, but it looks like a new website and, despite a good approach, there are no ratings/reviews.

Well if you are conservative I say Texas.
(1) No income, capital gains or corp tax.
(2) Low property costs - You can buy a lot of house for less.
(3) Low Cost of Living - See what happens when you reduce taxation, spending and regulation.
(4) Growing Job Marketing - From '08 - '12 half the jobs in this country were created in TX. They have growth in all the great sectors: manufacturing, oil, telcom, technology, etc. Many great jobs.
(5) Year after year voted the most business friendly state in the Union. Least red tape, lowest business killing regulations, no corp or income tax, just a great business environment.
(6) Great weather
(7) Creditor Protection: Say you fall in trouble, TX is one of the few states that does NOT allow creditors to garnish wages!
(8) Mortgage Bust Protection: Texas didn't get hit with the mortgage and foreclosure meltdown. They also didn't see exploding home values that made housing unaffordable or require people to move into smaller houses for top prices. The reason is they had STRICT lending laws. Even during the boom, stated loans were near impossible. 100% loans weren't allowable. No prepayment penalties and long recission period. Basically they had smart regulation in place to avoid a foreclosure bust and the an artifial increase in home prices.
(9) Quick Flight to Vegas, Mexico resort towns, Orlando, New Orleans and the Carribean.
(10) TexMex
(11) Texas Women
(12) Low gas and utility prices
(13) Freedom

I did some researching online, but to no avail. There's a state reviews website at US States - Rate & Review Places at Rate A Place, but it looks like a new website and, despite a good approach, there are no ratings/reviews.

Well if you are conservative I say Texas.
(1) No income, capital gains or corp tax.
(2) Low property costs - You can buy a lot of house for less.
(3) Low Cost of Living - See what happens when you reduce taxation, spending and regulation.
(4) Growing Job Marketing - From '08 - '12 half the jobs in this country were created in TX. They have growth in all the great sectors: manufacturing, oil, telcom, technology, etc. Many great jobs.
(5) Year after year voted the most business friendly state in the Union. Least red tape, lowest business killing regulations, no corp or income tax, just a great business environment.
(6) Great weather
(7) Creditor Protection: Say you fall in trouble, TX is one of the few states that does NOT allow creditors to garnish wages!
(8) Mortgage Bust Protection: Texas didn't get hit with the mortgage and foreclosure meltdown. They also didn't see exploding home values that made housing unaffordable or require people to move into smaller houses for top prices. The reason is they had STRICT lending laws. Even during the boom, stated loans were near impossible. 100% loans weren't allowable. No prepayment penalties and long recission period. Basically they had smart regulation in place to avoid a foreclosure bust and the an artifial increase in home prices.
(9) Quick Flight to Vegas, Mexico resort towns, Orlando, New Orleans and the Carribean.
(10) TexMex
(11) Texas Women
(12) Low gas and utility prices
(13) Freedom

I'm with you

All conservatives should move to Texas

Forum List

Back