Bill Cosby charged

Isn't there a statute of limitations on these types of crimes??

I know there is none on murder.

from the article i just posted...

The charges came down just days before the 12-year statute of limitations for bringing charges was set to run out.

Prosecutors reopened the case over the summer as damaging testimony was unsealed in Constand’s related civil lawsuit against Cosby and as dozens of other women came forward with similar accusations that made a mockery of his image as the wise and understanding Dr. Cliff Huxtable from TV’s “The Cosby Show.”

At that point, “reopening this case was not a question. Rather, reopening this case was our duty as law enforcement officers,” Steele said.

He urged any other alleged victims to come forward as well.

The case adds to the towering list of legal problems facing the TV star, including defamation and sex-abuse lawsuits filed in Boston, Los Angeles and Pennsylvania. But as for criminal charges, many of the alleged assaults date back decades, and the statute of limitations has expired in nearly every case.

from the article i just posted...

The charges came down just days before the 12-year statute of limitations for bringing charges was set to run out.

Prosecutors reopened the case over the summer as damaging testimony was unsealed in Constand’s related civil lawsuit against Cosby and as dozens of other women came forward with similar accusations that made a mockery of his image as the wise and understanding Dr. Cliff Huxtable from TV’s “The Cosby Show.”

At that point, “reopening this case was not a question. Rather, reopening this case was our duty as law enforcement officers,” Steele said.

He urged any other alleged victims to come forward as well.

The case adds to the towering list of legal problems facing the TV star, including defamation and sex-abuse lawsuits filed in Boston, Los Angeles and Pennsylvania. But as for criminal charges, many of the alleged assaults date back decades, and the statute of limitations has expired in nearly every case.

Thanks. She almost ran out of time.

Don't you think this is bizarre that Bill Cosby is being charged just days before the statue of limitations is up and the Political debates of Bill Clinton's allegations?
It is a lot more than just coincidence. :)

The judge is a women......Cosby is toast.

if the judge is a judge (and we can assume she is) then he will be what he should whether it's guilty or not.

I kind of resent the implication that a female judge can't be fair when presiding over a case like this. the fact that she's a woman might be the best thing that ever happened to him since she'll probably bend over backward to make sure he gets a fair trial and can make rulings that maybe a male judge wouldn't be comfortable making.
Right, of course, how could personal perspective ever possibly be a factor in decision making? Maybe if the judge weren't human she could be completely objective.

Either he raped them or this is a conspiracy of phenomenal proportions:

'Dateline NBC' Gathers Bill Cosby Accusers For Special

Hmm, that doesnt mention anything about Bill Clinton being charged for all his rapes.

If those women thought they had been raped, then they should have filed charges, but they didn't, did they?

I agree. If they had been raped they should have reported it right then and there. Not a decade later.

Makes you wonder what goes through peoples minds.

And Bill Clinton still walks free. Damn Shame.

No comparison. You must not have been paying attention for the last year.

I guess what you are saying is that if the man isn't accused of being a serial rapist then it really doesn't matter.

In this country the accused is innocent until proven guilty. First, (now pay attention) there has to be an accuser and then second, charges have to be filed. If no one is interested in pursuing a civil or criminal action by filing a complaint and/or charges, then yes, it really doesn't matter. Hearsay doesn't count.

Don't you think this is bizarre that Bill Cosby is being charged just days before the statue of limitations is up and the Political debates of Bill Clinton's allegations?
It is a lot more than just coincidence. :)

No. It is probably due to ambivalence on the part of the victim. I bet Gloria Allred sat her down and told her what she is in for if she goes ahead with the charges and it goes to trial. Her life will forever be changed and possibly not for the better.

Either he raped them or this is a conspiracy of phenomenal proportions:

'Dateline NBC' Gathers Bill Cosby Accusers For Special

Hmm, that doesnt mention anything about Bill Clinton being charged for all his rapes.

If those women thought they had been raped, then they should have filed charges, but they didn't, did they?

I agree. If they had been raped they should have reported it right then and there. Not a decade later.

Makes you wonder what goes through peoples minds.

Many of these women were assaulted by Cosby during the same time frame that William Kennedy Smith was tried and found innocent of rape charges in 1991, a high profile, televised rape trial. That turned out to be a nightmare for the accuser. Then in 1995 we saw O.J. Simpson win in court, too. Can't blame them for being intimidated.

The judge is a women......Cosby is toast.

if the judge is a judge (and we can assume she is) then he will be what he should whether it's guilty or not.

I kind of resent the implication that a female judge can't be fair when presiding over a case like this. the fact that she's a woman might be the best thing that ever happened to him since she'll probably bend over backward to make sure he gets a fair trial and can make rulings that maybe a male judge wouldn't be comfortable making.
Right, of course, how could personal perspective ever possibly be a factor in decision making? Maybe if the judge weren't human she could be completely objective.

What's going to matter is the jury and how good Cosby's lawyer is for building sympathy. I bet his "Dream Team" is going to be on par with OJ's.

I heard 12 years and the limit was near.
No reason to guess. I already quoted the law: Bill Cosby charged | Page 9 | US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

It IS 12 years. And this prosecution looks like it might be right before the deadline (unless her confused recollection of the dates ends up leaving them stuck outside the reach of the law).

Forum List

Back