Bill to Improve Education in America: Rand Paul Introduces S.4979

"the constitution means this ^%&"
"ok where does it say that?"
"it doesnt"
/thread

Congress also has inherent powers not enumerated in the constitution. Basically interpreted in order to carry out their mandates. An example being the power of the senate to try private citizens.
Where does the Constitution say that?
Congress also has inherent powers not enumerated in the constitution.

The constitution doesn't waste time saying what logic dictates doesn't need to be said.
Where does it mention these "inherent powers" you speak of, mr. hamilton?

The federalist papers establishes intent. Which might not be too important to federal supremacists, i reckon.
That is a liberal argument. Conservatives are "texturalists" They go by what they said, not by what they meant to say.

And of course, you have federalists on both sides arguing what they thought or wanted the constitutions clauses to mean.

Rand Paul is from Kentucky

If any state needs a Dept of Education, it is Kentucky

Imagine if the 2nd amendment said, the right to bear flintlocks.

Its called an amendment. A constitutional amendment.
The document isnt "alive" like you federal supremacists try to claim.
And they made the amendment process so difficult and so daunting, that only compelling and fundamental issues would be added to the constitution.

Micromanaging it's content would never survive the requirement that 3/4ths of states debate and agree to it's necessity.

If Rand Paul thinks the Dept of Education is Unconstitutional

Why doesn’t he take it to the Supreme Court?
Conservatives have a 6-3 majority

The constitution doesn't waste time saying what logic dictates doesn't need to be said.
One example is the right of congress to compel witnesses to testify before them. The constitution gives no enumerated power of congress over a private citizen.

Imagine if the 2nd amendment said, the right to bear flintlocks.

Its called an amendment. A constitutional amendment.
The document isnt "alive" like you federal supremacists try to claim.
And they made the amendment process so difficult and so daunting, that only compelling and fundamental issues would be added to the constitution.

Micromanaging it's content would never survive the requirement that 3/4ths of states debate and agree to it's necessity.
Exactly. That was the point.
If the rest of the country wanted your statism, the amendment process wouldnt be so difficult, ey?

I’ve got 40 years of Dept of Education that says you are wrong

Show me a single case declaring it unconstitutional. Otherwise, it is Constitutional

Constitutionally speaking, case law is irrelevant, RWer.

Has it stopped the courts from abusing it? Of course not. But constitutionally speaking ,case law is irrelevant.'

In fact, we just saw the SCOTUS effectively say that the other day. It's about time.

But, yes, I get it. 40 years is a long time. Hey, take the money and run, though, screw it. I don't hate you for it.

I’ve got 40 years of Dept of Education that says you are wrong

Show me a single case declaring it unconstitutional. Otherwise, it is Constitutional

Has it stopped the courts from abusing it? Of course not. But constitutionally speaking ,case law is irrelevant.'

In fact, we just saw the SCOTUS effectively say that the other day. It's about time.

But, yes, I get it. 40 years is a long time. Hey, take the money and run, though, screw it. I don't hate you for it.
It is a legal Department until a court declares otherwise

What are you waiting for?
Explain the Federalist Papers to them

Exactly. That was the point.
If the rest of the country wanted your statism, the amendment process wouldnt be so difficult, ey?
It also means they worded the constitution in broad enough terms that amendments would not be needed to stretch it to cover issues not imagined when it was written.

They wrote it so its principles would apply not just to the times when it was written, but centuries into the future.

If it wasn't for case law, the USSC would not have a say in what the constitution means. That is not an enumerated power or jurisdiction of Article 3.

One example is the right of congress to compel witnesses to testify before them. The constitution gives no enumerated power of congress over a private citizen.
umm clause 18 of sec 8
To make all Laws which shall be necessary and proper for carrying into Execution the foregoing Powers, and all other Powers vested by this Constitution in the Government of the United States, or in any Department or Officer thereof.
If ones testimony was helped in creating laws, it is an enumerated power.

umm clause 18 of sec 8
To make all Laws which shall be necessary and proper for carrying into Execution the foregoing Powers, and all other Powers vested by this Constitution in the Government of the United States, or in any Department or Officer thereof.
You know that "laws" have to be signed by the president of the united states. Congresses compelling private citizens before them is not a "law", it's an inherent power. Otherwise the chief executive would in violation of separation of powers have veto power over the work of congress. And one house of congress would have veto power over the work of the other house.

In short, you posted B.S. that it's covered by congresses making a law to compel witnesses.

umm clause 18 of sec 8
You know that "laws" have to be signed by the president of the united states. Cogresses compelling private citizens before them is not a "law", it's an inherent power. Otherwise the chief executive would in violation of separation of powers have veto power over the work of congress.

In short, you posted B.S. that it's covered by congresses making a law to compel witnesses.
It is an ENUMERATED power if it pertains to writing constitutional legislation.
I dont think you are reading what i am writing.

It is an ENUMERATED power if it pertains to writing constitutional legislation.
I dont think you are reading what i am writing.
You're confused. It's an inherent power, not an enumerated one. Consult a dictionary if you don't know the difference.

As i've been saying it's an inherent power.

There are powers that the states have that aren't listed on the diagram above. States can establish public schools, however,there is also a FEDERAL DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION and if states want Federal money, they have to follow regulations set-up by the Department of Education.

The Constitution is the one that gives them power.

There are three types of Delegated powers:implied, expressed, and inherent.

Implied Powers are powers that aren't spelled out in the Constitution.

Expressed Powers are powers that are written directly into the Constitution.

Inherent Powers. These are powers that aren't anywhere in the Constitution.

Man, I just put a water pump on my neighbor's truck in like...pft....what...an hour and a half since I last posted? Who is that kid. Sheeit.

Anyway. I'm hungry. I'm gonna make something to eat and maybe check back later. Certainly the bill stands about as much chance as a snowman in July anyway.

But it's refreshing to know that at least someone in Washington is acting like a Republican, even if it has to be a libertarian holding his nose and carrying the R.

As I'd mentioned earlier in the thread, the Republicans used to run on abolishing the Department of Education. Dunno what happened...

Last edited:

Forum List

Back