Bill would give president emergency control of Internet

The Government is accountable to the will of the People. Where it has strong consent, it has power. Without that consent, it has big problems. Best to remember that.

Monitoring the inernet for subversive or otherwise illegal activity is one thing.

Controlling it in order to quell freedom of speech and access to information is another.

I heard Obama was going to kill old soldiers too. Oh and grandma's are just gone. Poor old people.

So I guess it's unimportant to you people, who are at this moment communicating via computer, that in the event of a cyber threat that had the potential to shut down the entire global network, causing banks/markets/life support systems/etc., to simultaneously crash, is a baaaaaaad thing. Interesting.

http://www.gao.gov/new.items/d04321.pdf

Giving the POTUS these kinds of powers for the purpose of National Security™ seemed to be so important when the last guy was in office.

I don't really support this either, btw.
As I recall, the cons were perfectly happy to allow BushCo to listen to their phone calls and read their email.

They didn't seem to mind that one....memory's are fading I guess.

Could anyone here specify any clause of the Constitution that specifically acknowledges any inalienable right to the use of the Internet? Is there mention of such in the Bill of Rights?

Albeit that the Internet has been privatized, the fact that the government licenses ISPs, and no doubt strictly regulates the switch providers, indicates that the Internet has alway been a a public rather than a private entity.

The government can take control of the airways during a national crisis. There is no difference.

Like public roadways, use of the internet is more of a priviledge than an right.

If you pay for it, it becomes your choice and responsibility not the government. They took cable from us already, we do have a right to freedom of speech, the internet is the last place we are able to exercise that right without something like the FCC locking us up in jail. So yeah, if you don't want freedom of speech. the shut the fuck up.

Oh, and the internet isn't public domain, each server is privately owned and operated. They have the right to restrict speech, the government has no right to infringe on the rights of the owners of servers, period.

Giving the POTUS these kinds of powers for the purpose of National Security™ seemed to be so important when the last guy was in office.

I don't really support this either, btw.
As I recall, the cons were perfectly happy to allow BushCo to listen to their phone calls and read their email.

We didn't mind it because it was necessary, and has resulted in many cells being broken up. Not only that, it included a clause which requires a review and re-vote every so many years.

It's just another example of a fascist administration grabbing more power. They've grabbed the auto industry, the banks, and they're trying to grab the health industry as well. Of course they're going after the internet, and they will eventually go after the oil companies.

2355.jpg

We didn't mind it because it was necessary, and has resulted in many cells being broken up. Not only that, it included a clause which requires a review and re-vote every so many years.

So I guess that means you don't believe al-Qaeda and other terrorist wannabes use the Internet for communication?

So I guess that means you don't believe al-Qaeda and other terrorist wannabes use the Internet for communication?

They are Militants... Get your Talking Points Straight...

And it's our Fault they are coming after us anyway, because we are Mean.

The War on Terror is Over...

How are they going to use WMD online?...

Blah, blah, blah, blah...

:)

peace...

It's just another example of a fascist administration grabbing more power. They've grabbed the auto industry, the banks, and they're trying to grab the health industry as well. Of course they're going after the internet, and they will eventually go after the oil companies.

I love how now the cons cheer the banks that stole their profits; that now continue to badmouth the auto companies that were rescued so that they can continue operating as PRIVATE COMPANIES; and now a health care insurance option which would also enter the competitive FREE MARKET SYSTEM and give Big H's monopoly the boot.

I love how now the cons cheer the banks that stole their profits; that now continue to badmouth the auto companies that were rescued so that they can continue operating as PRIVATE COMPANIES; and now a health care insurance option which would also enter the competitive FREE MARKET SYSTEM and give Big H's monopoly the boot.

There is NO "Competition" when one Party has a Blank Check and the Power to Regulate...

But I don't Expect Liberals to Understand this...

Whatever Feels Good, is Good enough!

:)

peace...

I'm not cheering Anyone, Private Property was confiscated in those rescues. UAW made out pretty well in the scheme. Car Manufacturers were and are crippled by Government Mandate. Your solution corrupts everything it touches, it causes the failures, in the first place. Nationalism is not the solution, it is a step towards totalitarian control Maggie. No productive business can compete with the bottomless pit, which cares nothing about profit and loss, and everything about control. Your Nationalization is to eliminate or acquire that which it now competes. What You Call Free Market, I Call "In Name Only".

• Thanks
Reactions: mal

Just a reminder that AQ was created as a response to Judeo-American State sponsored terrorism!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Forum List

Back