Bill Would Require State Approval to Homeschool

In principle (only)

should parents be allowed to homeschool a child against the child's will?

Bringing in the "child's will" seems disingenous to me. It doesn't matter which side of the debate raises this point. Almost every child being schooled (home/private/public) is being schooled against his will. Honestly, how many children do you know that would choose to go to school?

My kids went to a public school their entire education. Then again the schools around us were the best of the best. Teachers in those buildings are big time underpaid for what they do. I never saw one case of the so called indoctrination that is so eloquently spoken about. That line to me simply doesn't fly. Again my kids were well versed on that their education was the ONLY way to avoid having to work for some cruddy business owner the rest of their lives. Now they are in positions where they could walk out on their bosses the second they are dissatisfied with pay/ benefits and will find another job that is better. A good worker always is seeking more for themselves. They dictate to the boss what will happen and they get their pay demand from the company without union representation. And it has been working out so far. If you are marketable hold that over your companies head.

Why shouldn't home schools have to meet he same standards as public schools?

You "assume" that the "public" standards are best :)

I would assume that the average parent does not have a master's degree and teaching certification to teach

alegbra, trigonometry, geometry, pre-calculus, American history, World history, biology, earth science, chemistry, American literature, English literature, French or Spanish or Latin,

etc.

just to cite an incomplete list of the kind of courses a student takes in high school.

My uncle could teach HS-level (and probably college-level) physics, trig, and geometry. He taught me algebra, after a truly-worthless teacher failed to do so.

He did not finish seventh grade and is almost entirely self-educated.

You assume that a basic standard is not the business of the government.

He doesn't "assume" squat. The government has no business setting "standards" for parents raising their own children. Only a servile bootlicking toady would disagree.

Any government has the right to regulate a public interest when adults, including parents, intrude on it.

Says the self proclaimed "mainstream republican".

Too funny.

Why shouldn't home schools have to meet he same standards as public schools?

I would assume that the average parent does not have a master's degree and teaching certification to teach

alegbra, trigonometry, geometry, pre-calculus, American history, World history, biology, earth science, chemistry, American literature, English literature, French or Spanish or Latin,

etc.

just to cite an incomplete list of the kind of courses a student takes in high school.

None of which ensures a "good" teacher.

There is a reason why the far left is against home schooling and charter schools and that is because they can not control the content that the students study. It scares the far left to death to think that these people may actually develop a sense of thinking independence and see the far left what they truly are.

There is a reason why the far left is against home schooling and charter schools and that is because they can not control the content that the students study. It scares the far left to death to think that these people may actually develop a sense of thinking independence and see the far left what they truly are.

Homeschoolers are still required to conform to curricula, teach certain courses, demonstrate proficiency in various areas of study.

You are wrong.

etc.

None of which ensures a "good" teacher.

That's a rather transparent attempt to dodge my point without appearing to do so.

I love my parents, but they could never have taught me advanced mathematics in my senior year in HS in any manner comparable to the actual teacher I had.

In principle (only)

should parents be allowed to homeschool a child against the child's will?

Bringing in the "child's will" seems disingenous to me. It doesn't matter which side of the debate raises this point. Almost every child being schooled (home/private/public) is being schooled against his will. Honestly, how many children do you know that would choose to go to school?

Once again, someone is trying to replace my point with a different one.

If a child is entering the 9th grade, and has begun to take an interest in, say, mathematics, and wants to learn from highly trained/educated mathematics teachers, as opposed to learning from his mom,

who is admittedly 'terrible at math',

you're going to deny him that desire, maybe just because you're afraid he'll learn too much about evolution and gay rights?

Seriously?

etc.

My uncle could teach HS-level (and probably college-level) physics

, trig, and geometry. He taught me algebra, after a truly-worthless teacher failed to do so.

lol, of course he is.

I think your amazing propensity for just happening to have a personal anecdotal example of something that supposedly refutes the point is well known.

btw, what percent of parents out there do you suppose are self-taught brilliant scholars of advanced mathematics?

Give me a ballpark figure. Let's say, over or under one half of one percent?

lol

There is nothing to stop parents from undoing what the government schools have done and give their children supplementary education.

It's not like public schools have a great record in ensuring kids have a quality education. It also doesn't stop with homeschooling, as democrats are scared of vouchers that gives the parents the power to pull their kids into private school which better serves their kids education purposes. "Choice and competition" is a bumper sticker slogan that only serves to advance the Democrats own special interests.

Libtruds have always hated home schooling because they can't stand the idea that not every child is subjected to government brainwashing. This is just one of the numerous attempts they have made to quash homeschooling and force all children into the government indoctrination mills.

Bill Would Require State Approval to Homeschool | The Arizona Conservative

Ohio State Senator Capri Cafaro (D-Hubbard) has introduced legislation to boost state regulation of homeschooling. Senate Bill 248 would require that parents be investigated and approved before being allowed to homeschool their children.

“The very fact that parents would want to deny their children the enriching experience of a public school education raises a ‘red flag,’” Cafaro declared. “It makes one wonder what other risks of neglect or abuse might be present in the home environment. Rather than supinely wait for tragedies to occur it is incumbent upon the government to intercede ahead of time.”

Cafaro hypothesized that “overt signs of excessive religious fervor, gun ownership, or the presence of books and magazines that denigrate progressive values and undermine loyalty to and faith in the efforts of the government to better people’s lives would demonstrate an anti-social environment that is unfit for children.”

The Senator acknowledged that “there are likely too many anti-social home environments for us to take the most appropriate remedy of removing the afflicted children. We should at least insist that the children attend public schools as a way of counterbalancing these pernicious influences on their education and development.”​

Sounds as if you do not want your kids to hear any opinions other than your own.

I certainly don't want them brainwashed and brutalized in some government indoctrination center.

What makes think you have the right to ram you opinions into my kids?

OMG - I hope you don't have kids. In fact, I hope you don't have dog. Both deserve a 'parent' with some self control and not an angry (mad, within both definitions), bigoted and self righteous jerk like you.

I think having parents go through interviews, and perhaps even tests would be appropriate to get clearance to home school. And I do not advise teaching high school students at home. That is getting more advanced information and languages that require the teacher to know the material well enough to explain in detail each chapter presented.

Home schooling is used to mask neglect and abuse at home and that cannot be ignored.

Home schooling is fine as long as the parents are not total idiots. Idiots, especially ideologically motivated idiots, attempting to give their children a quality education that will prepare them for the real world is like feeding them thin gruel instead of nourishing food and is rightfully called neglect.

I wonder how many other states have similar laws. I know they exist here in Nevada.

NV Homeschoolers are governed by Nevada Revised Statutes.

NRS 392.040 Attendance required for child between 7 and 18 years of age; minimum age required for kindergarten and first grade; waiver from attendance available for child 6 years of age; developmental screening test required to determine placement of certain children.

Read more w/links @ Nevada Homeschooling Laws

etc.

My uncle could teach HS-level (and probably college-level) physics, trig, and geometry. He taught me algebra, after a truly-worthless teacher failed to do so.

My uncle never finished high school either. He worked on a loading dock his whole life. He did not know shit about physics, trig or geometry

I would not want him to homeschool

He doesn't "assume" squat. The government has no business setting "standards" for parents raising their own children. Only a servile bootlicking toady would disagree.

Any government has the right to regulate a public interest when adults, including parents, intrude on it.

Says the self proclaimed "mainstream republican".

Too funny.

Who are the mainstream republicans who don't believe the government has any right to regulate education?

Forum List

Back