BLM founder sentenced to 6 years for illegally voting.

I only find one felony conviction, and it is a bureaucratic infraction at that.

{...
a conviction for tampering with evidence that caused her to permanently lose her voting rights in the state. To restore rights that she says she didn’t know she had lost when she pleaded guilty, the corrections department and county election commission both signed off on Moses’s voter registration application in 2019 certifying that her probation had ended, granting her full voting privileges once again.

But there was a problem: The officials who signed off on Moses being eligible to vote acknowledged they made an error in saying her probation was over, meaning her voting rights had not been restored. So when the 44-year-old Black woman submitted the certificate as part of her voter registration, she was charged with trying to illegally register to vote.

After she was convicted of the voting error last November, Moses was sentenced this week to six years and one day in prison.
“I relied on the election commission because those are the people who are supposed to know what you’re supposed to do,” she told WREG before her sentencing. “And I found out that they didn’t know.”
Her sentencing Monday has been decried by critics as a much harsher penalty than those in other recent voting fraud cases involving conservative White men. The NAACP Legal Defense Fund tweeted that the case captured how “there are two criminal justice systems in America.”
“This case is one about the disparity in sentencing and punishment — and one that shouldn’t have happened,” Bede Anyanwu, her attorney, told The Washington Post on Friday. Anyanwu, who said Moses plans to appeal, added, “It’s all very, very disturbing.”

...}

Here is what your "Newsweek" article says:
{...
Moses, 44, a Black woman and Black Lives Matter activist, had 16 prior felony convictions and attempted to register to vote when she was ineligible and on probation, according to the Shelby County District Attorney's Office.

She pleaded guilty on April 29, 2015 to tampering with evidence and forgery, both felony convictions, and perjury, stalking, theft under $500 and escape, all misdemeanor convictions. She was placed on probation for seven years.
...}
And that makes no sense.
When it says "both felony convictions", that mean only two.
And then it says, ", all misdemeanor conviction", so there are only 2 felonies, not 16.

So if she did have 16 felony convictions, then why did the Probation Department sign off on here voter registration application?
Its still ALL their fault.
Why should I care what you found? I posted an article stating she had 14 prior felonies.

Oh, and how can police ever make anyone safer?
Have they ever saved you from a crime in progress?

Yes, they have.

It's not about skin color. The others pleaded guilty. She took her case to trial. People who plead guilty typically get lesser sentences. Plus, she has an extensive history of felonies.

That's a longer sentence than a man gets for rape.

Wow, insane
It is.
Convicting a person because of the errors of public officials and sentencing that person to prison because of that error

WHEN

GQP types PURPOSELY voting dead people ballots and corrupting an entire election with fake mail in ballots get probation?

Insanely racist it is.

Innocent people don't end up on probation for seven years. Innocent people don't try to scam the system and lie to authorities.
She is innocent of the crime of which she stands convicted.

She is the victim of the errors of public officials and the racism of, well, of people just like you.

I believe they are told what they can and can’t do. Where to be and avoid criminal behavior, not to hang with criminals. All explained when they are released.
The judge who ruled on this case didn't seem incapable of understanding what happened.

She is innocent of the crime of which she stands convicted.

She is the victim of the errors of public officials and the racism of, well, of people just like you.

She's guilty of violating the rules of her probation. She knew when she was sentenced she could not vote for seven years. She went to the probation board to see if she could get away with registering which she did. She got busted and is now paying the price for it. She didn't ask her probation officer because she knew what his or her answer would be. She didn't contact a lawyer for advice. She did this all on her own.

It's no different than if she shoplifted a $9.99 bottle of cheap perfume. You cannot do illegal things of any kind while on probation if you want to avoid jail time.

It is.
Convicting a person because of the errors of public officials and sentencing that person to prison because of that error

WHEN

GQP types PURPOSELY voting dead people ballots and corrupting an entire election with fake mail in ballots get probation?

Insanely racist it is.

WTF are you talking about? She got a better break than they did. She was convicted on several charges including escape.

I mean your counting your chickens early that Republicans will control the House. While it's very likely, nothing is certain.
Biden is not popular and unless he can turn things around, which for our benefit does, we are going to vote for rhe GOP this fall. I see few other scenarios.

That's a longer sentence than a man gets for rape.
You haven't figured that out yet? pedophiles taking advantage of younger weaker humans, set it up for themselves not to be punished. And you make that statement. too fking funny. pedophiles=demofks.

But we do not NEED police.
This country went for over 100 years without any significant police, and did much better.
Police never end up serving the people, but doing what the wealthy elite who sign their paycheck want.
Again, if police were honest, there would be no War on Drugs, mandatory sentences, no-knock-warrants, asset forfeiture, etc.
I come to your house right now, hypothetically. And beat the holy Hell out of you. What are the repercussions if there isn’t any police force?

You missed the point.
We likely are deliberately retarding growth and preventing kids from maturing earlier.
The point is previous generations were responsible sooner.
So likely our delaying is harmful.
again, reread my previous post, I repeat it here.

But we do not NEED police.
This country went for over 100 years without any significant police, and did much better.
Police never end up serving the people, but doing what the wealthy elite who sign their paycheck want.
Again, if police were honest, there would be no War on Drugs, mandatory sentences, no-knock-warrants, asset forfeiture, etc.
now you're just being a dick.

Forum List

Back