Boehner: "Congress does have the responsibility" to reduce gun violence

No. The people have a responsibility to reduce gun violence. And the best way to do that is to be prepared to defend ourselves if necessary.

One day after President Obama in his State of the Union address called for sweeping gun law reform, House Speaker John Boehner, R-Ohio, said he was glad families and victims of gun violence attended the address and that "Congress does have the responsibility" to "reduce that violence and the incidents of these mass shootings."

sure they do, but that doens't mean the ridiculous legislation proposed by the democrats so far. What congress needs to address is violence. the gun part is not the issue. it's one of many tools to meet an end that needs to be addressed.

and that is the biggest problem with our government today and why nothing ever gets resolved. they pass ridiculous feel good legislation that doesn't solve a thing, and the problems continue on

A full 91% of all poll respondents said they favor requiring background checks on ALL gun purchases.

You are not going to be able to survive bucking those numbers.

Even bucking numbers like the 59% who favor the ban on high-capacity magazines is tough for a party that is reeling because they've been labeled as out of touch with America.

lets think about hte implications of these backround checks. so we create a database of people who we determine are not fit to buy a gun because they show some type of predetermined tendency that if they get a gun, they might kill with it. So what we've identified and documented is this individual is a risk to kill someone. so we don't give him a gun. but what else do we do? nothng? let them go on about their life? so now say he steals a gun, or kills someone with a knife. you know a lawsuit is on the horizon that says you knew this person was a risk, but you did nothing about it.

One day after President Obama in his State of the Union address called for sweeping gun law reform, House Speaker John Boehner, R-Ohio, said he was glad families and victims of gun violence attended the address and that "Congress does have the responsibility" to "reduce that violence and the incidents of these mass shootings."

But see, what liberals heard was "restrict gun rights" Because they think all we need to do is ban guns, and everything will be ok.

A full 91% of all poll respondents said they favor requiring background checks on ALL gun purchases.

Even bucking numbers like the 59% who favor the ban on high-capacity magazines is tough for a party that is reeling because they've been labeled as out of touch with America.

lets think about hte implications of these backround checks. so we create a database of people who we determine are not fit to buy a gun because they show some type of predetermined tendency that if they get a gun, they might kill with it. So what we've identified and documented is this individual is a risk to kill someone. so we don't give him a gun. but what else do we do? nothng? let them go on about their life? so now say he steals a gun, or kills someone with a knife. you know a lawsuit is on the horizon that says you knew this person was a risk, but you did nothing about it.

Your "logical conclusion" isn't very logical.
If someone is a repeat drunk driver and kills someone, have you seen "you should have done more" lawsuits???

Way too flimsy to appease the 91% who want to see it happen.

Try to justify inaction with that one and you'll pay in 2014. And you can't afford that.

I am so tired of Boehner and the "Republican Elite" pandering to the left as if the left would finally accept them and be friends.

Stand up for the principles of the base of your party or get the hell out of the party.

I am so tired of Boehner and the "Republican Elite" pandering to the left as if the left would finally accept them and be friends.

Stand up for the principles of the base of your party or get the hell out of the party.

And let the last guy turn out the light on his way out?

Perhaps you will be the first gun grabber to actually answer the question..

Since when do we put our enumerated rights up to a popular vote?

Your "logical conclusion" isn't very logical.
If someone is a repeat drunk driver and kills someone, have you seen "you should have done more" lawsuits???

Way too flimsy to appease the 91% who want to see it happen.

Try to justify inaction with that one and you'll pay in 2014. And you can't afford that.

bad comparison. now if the law said they lose their license for 2 years and they did nothing it could be an issue. with a drunk drive, you've identified the issue, established a path to address the issue. a background check, you've establised a potential issue and done nothing. you've identified the problem and allowed it to go on

Since when does a background check infringe upon an "enumerated right"

Since they are already in place for MOST gun sales, please tell me how requiring background checks for ALL gun sales violates the Constitution?

I'm guessing the GOP will support wider requirements on background checks, and well as some inventory requirements and a sales database. I do not think they will support banning any weapons, or clips.

Agreed. Supporting background checks would cause no political problems. Supporting things like an Assault Weapons ban or clip limit would be political suicide.

I've seen plenty of polling data.

Of course you have, any pollster can fashion questions to get the desired results, it's those pesky little details that won't be supported.

So the polls are "skewed" huh?

How'd that work out for ya last time?

You can call it skewed or cherry picked questions it all woks out the same. You can ask someone it they support clean air, and they will say yes, but do you think they will support your eliminating their backyard barbeque to accomplish it? Like I said, a poll is one thing, the details are another.

Since they are already in place for MOST gun sales, please tell me how requiring background checks for ALL gun sales violates the Constitution?

How do you get a universal background check system that is verifiable?

I'm guessing the GOP will support wider requirements on background checks, and well as some inventory requirements and a sales database. I do not think they will support banning any weapons, or clips.

Agreed. Supporting background checks would cause no political problems. Supporting things like an Assault Weapons ban or clip limit would be political suicide.

Far from suicide since 56 percent favor the high capacity magazine ban and about the same favor the automatic weapons ban. But those are storms they can probably weather since their voters will probably back them.

But I also see a mandate (like 70-something percent) who favor beefed up mental health interdiction. But I haven't seen the legislation on that. Too bad. The problem has many contributing factors. I think it's foolish to focus all your attention on just one or two.

How do you get a universal background check system that is verifiable?

The same way you do for 90-plus % of gun sales now.

Of course you have, any pollster can fashion questions to get the desired results, it's those pesky little details that won't be supported.

So the polls are "skewed" huh?

How'd that work out for ya last time?

You can call it skewed or cherry picked questions it all woks out the same. You can ask someone it they support clean air, and they will say yes, but do you think they will support your eliminating their backyard barbeque to accomplish it? Like I said, a poll is one thing, the details are another.

I don't just read the numbers. I read the questions and the order in which they are asked also.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back