Bosnia and Serbia emergency after 'worst ever' floods

ScienceRocks

Democrat all the way!
Mar 16, 2010
The Good insane United states of America
Bosnia and Serbia emergency after 'worst ever' floods

BBC News - Bosnia and Serbia emergency after 'worst ever' floods

States of emergency have been declared in parts of Bosnia and Serbia after the heaviest rain and worst floods since records began 120 years ago.

Overflowing rivers have burst into towns and villages, cutting off whole communities, while landslides have buried houses.

At least three people have drowned.

Army helicopters have been sent to evacuate thousands of stranded residents but reports say bad weather is hampering the rescue efforts.Serbia's Prime Minister Aleksandar Vucic said it was the "greatest flooding disaster ever".

He said his government had appealed for help from the European Union, Russia and neighbouring countries.

Rescuers in Serbia say they have so far managed to to evacuate around 4,000 people.

Last edited:
  • Banned
BBC News - Balkan floods threaten Serbia power plant on River Sava
The worst floods in the Balkans for decades are threatening Serbia's main power plant, officials say.

The River Sava has burst its banks in many areas and water levels are expected to peak later on Sunday.

At least 20 people have died in Serbia and Bosnia-Hercegovina after a month's worth of rain fell in three days, and the death toll is expected to rise.

In Bosnia, landslides have buried houses and disturbed landmines laid during the war in the 1990s.

• Banned
More Than One Million Suffer Worst Flooding In Over A Century

More Than One Million Suffer Worst Flooding In Over A Century | ThinkProgress

At least 25 people are dead and tens of thousands more are without water or electricity as record rainfall in the Balkan countries of Bosnia and Serbia has led to the worst flooding in 120 years of data.

Three months’ worth of rain fell in three days last week, causing almost a third of Bosnia to resemble a muddy lake. Those spared direct flooding have been hit by one of around 300 landslides occurring in the last several days. Bosnian Security Ministry spokesman Admir Malagic said that about one million people, more than a quarter of the country’s population, inhabit the affected area.

“Bosnia is facing a horrible catastrophe,” said Bakir Izetbegovic, the chairman of the Bosnian three-man presidency. “We are still not fully aware of actual dimensions of the catastrophe … we will have to take care of hundreds, thousands of people.”

Beyond the elements of natural disaster, the floods are uprooting or otherwise jeopardizing the more than 100,000 landmines left over from the regional conflict in the 1990s.

“The torrential rain, floods and landslides are likely to cause the mines to move,” writes Guy De Launey of BBC News. “Warning signs have already been washed away in a number of places. When the floods finally recede, there will be an urgent need for the deminers to move in.”

Last edited:
Oh my the far left is strong with this one, explains why the can not understand AGW or sensationalized head lines by far left blog sites.

Oh my the far left is strong with this one, explains why the can not understand AGW or sensationalized head lines by far left blog sites.

Why does everything have to be global warming with you? Why can't I discuss the historic floods in eastern europe in this section of the board?

Because your posts are motived by your AGW cult programming, especially when you use post form far left blog sites.

When some far left blog site posts the word "ever", it triggers your AGW cult programming. You do not want discussion you want conversion.

Then again you were exposed as the fraud you are when you tried to promote the dinosaurs being killed off by AGW.

The link that consistently makes the climate k00ks want to blow their brains out >>>>

Chronology of Extreme Weather

Fucked up weather been happening for time and eternity. The k00ks want yu to think this weather stuff started a couple of decades ago!!!

I agree as extreme weather has been happening for hundreds of millions of years. Doesn't make it less interesting to watch, none the less.

The link that consistently makes the climate k00ks want to blow their brains out >>>>

Chronology of Extreme Weather

Fucked up weather been happening for time and eternity. The k00ks want yu to think this weather stuff started a couple of decades ago!!!

I agree as extreme weather has been happening for hundreds of millions of years. Doesn't make it less interesting to watch, none the less.

Then post from none far left blog sites if that is your intention. Instead you prove time and time again what a liar you are when it comes in believing science and watching weather events.

You are an AGW hack!

Does anyone have any updates about these floods?

Why? What does it prove for you?

You are an AGW hack motivated by such cult like programming that you used far left blog sites to try and push your religion.

I've spent 2/3rds of my 28 years on earth watching weather events like this. I am a weather nut...

Everything isn't about co2 or climate change to me.

‘This Is Worse Than War’: Balkans Flooding Is Latest In A String Of Severe Rainfall Events

'This Is Worse Than War': Balkans Flooding Is Latest In A String Of Severe Rainfall Events | ThinkProgress
The epic floodwaters in the Balkans may be receding, but as they go, they are revealing the full scale of the destruction wrought.

The death toll across the affected area is nearing 50, about 100,000 homes have been destroyed, and more than half a million people have been forced to leave their homes. Thousands of landslides have added to the misery and devastation.

On Tuesday, Bosnia declared a day of mourning while Serbia said it would hold three days of mourning starting Wednesday.

One of the more gruesome and dangerous consequences of the flooding are the thousands of dead animals which are now being discovered. Piles of cows, pigs, sheep, and dogs which couldn’t be saved by their owners now pose a serious public health threat.

According to the Associated Press, 140 tons of drowned animals have already been destroyed. Another 1,900 sheep and lambs are known to have died elsewhere in the country.

While no outbreaks of disease have been reported so far, as temperatures rise into the 80s this week, conditions are perfect for the incubation of intestinal ailments, respiratory infections, hepatitis and even typhoid. Some of these diseases take as long as three weeks to show symptoms.

It's more of that increased severe weather that's not happening.

they're the sort of events covered better by the term "climate change" than by "global warming".

Forum List

Back