🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Breaking News: 8 People Killed, Mostly Children In Florida.

He also had a history in New Jersey, according to the Gainesville article. He had also been put into crisis stabilization twice after the death of his son, and had been on depression medications at that time. Was he still?
Also, with all the previous calls to the house, was there never a way for them to get a search warrant for guns with his previous history?

The problem is NOT the weapon used. It is in the WILL of said person to kill. If he hadn't a gun, it would have been something else. Andrea Yates killed all 5 of her children by drowning them in a bathtub. Was anyone angry at bathtubs after that? No, they were angry at HER.

I am not willing to give up ANY of my rights because of the actions of some lunatics who would kill anyway.
Our right is to protect ourselves from those lunatics that will kill, whether through the use of their hands, a hammer, a knife, illegally held gun, whatever their object of choice is. if anyone thinks gun confiscation from law abiding citizens will stop criminals from obtaining a gun, they are sadly fooling themselves, and those they convince.

We should do a poll on how many people sniveling and crying crocodile tears over the numbers of firearms deaths committed by insane people also advocate and support the deaths of some 55,000,000 to 60,000,000 defenseless babies so far, and support a President who avidly supports infanticide. Don't crazies with firearms deserve a right to 'freedom of choice' and be allowed to decide for themselves who they kill too? After all, none of those babies have sued over their right to life so far , so they must be fine with being murdered by irresponsible mothers ...
oh no! not the faux outrage ploy over abortion rights again..

Abortion "rights"? There is no such thing as the "right" to have an abortion. There IS, however, a RIGHT to have and own a firearm! :rolleyes-41:

You do know that as a convicted felon it was already against he law for him to be in possession of that gun....and yet that didn't stop him....you know...before he went on to murder his family....

Background checks for private sales are just another waste of time...when you find a felon with a gun and if he got it from a private citizen....you arrest the felon because of the two people...he is the one who knew he was breaking the law...

problem solved....

No kidding. Here is a man who murdered his entire family and himself. Some "gun nuts" think that a background check is going to stop a lunatic like this from going through with his plans? I wonder who is MORE nuts, the gunman or some of the anti gun nuts who pee their pants at the thought of a gun on this forum?

The problem is NOT the weapon used. It is in the WILL of said person to kill. If he hadn't a gun, it would have been something else. Andrea Yates killed all 5 of her children by drowning them in a bathtub. Was anyone angry at bathtubs after that? No, they were angry at HER.

I am not willing to give up ANY of my rights because of the actions of some lunatics who would kill anyway.

Actually the liberal media made excuses for Andrea Yates. To paraphrase a prominent democrat politician, "never let a tragedy go to waste if you can make a political issue out of it". Ironically it's the liberals who protect crazy people.

I personally want background checks

You do realize that all gun stores conduct back ground checks...even at gun shows....

Yes but private sales don't do background checks.

Neither does sales from the internet.

Very big loopholes that allow criminals to get guns and harm innocent people.

Close the loopholes and it's harder for a criminal to get a gun. It also makes it easier for law enforcement to find those selling guns to criminals and put them in jail where they belong.

Will it stop all crime? No. No one is suggesting it will. It will stop some crime. If it saves even one life from being cut short, it's worth the background check.

Just because we can't stop all crime doesn't mean we should just let criminals do what they want and not do anything about it.

Do you advocate that we stop prosecuting murderers and make it legal to murder someone just because we can't stop all murder from happening?
Sales through the internet certainly do require a background check.
When you buy a firearm on the internet, the item is shipped to a licensed gun dealer who is responsible for the background check.

Most gun show sales are also subject to checks. You will occasionally see private sales outside of the building, but most shows have security in place to prevent that.

Actually the liberal media made excuses for Andrea Yates. To paraphrase a prominent democrat politician, "never let a tragedy go to waste if you can make a political issue out of it". Ironically it's the liberals who protect crazy people.

Well, in some cases, people might consider me to be a liberal because I am against the death penalty, so if that's what you mean by "protect" her . . . I also have sympathy for people with mental illness, and Andrea Yates was/is definitely mentally ill.

I am pretty much against anything that would give the government MORE power over the citizens. I feel that the death penalty gives the government a free pass to kill citizens, and I don't think that should ever be allowed, no matter the circumstances because it sets a BAD precedent.

It's just funny that MURDER is already illegal!!! WTH do you dummies think another law is going to stop these people? Good grief!!! They'll just get their weapon elsewhere or use another "tool" to accomplish the job.

You do realize that all gun stores conduct back ground checks...even at gun shows....

Close the loopholes and it's harder for a criminal to get a gun. It also makes it easier for law enforcement to find those selling guns to criminals and put them in jail where they belong.

Will it stop all crime? No. No one is suggesting it will. It will stop some crime. If it saves even one life from being cut short, it's worth the background check.

Just because we can't stop all crime doesn't mean we should just let criminals do what they want and not do anything about it.

Do you advocate that we stop prosecuting murderers and make it legal to murder someone just because we can't stop all murder from happening?
When you buy a firearm on the internet, the item is shipped to a licensed gun dealer who is responsible for the background check.

Most gun show sales are also subject to checks. You will occasionally see private sales outside of the building, but most shows have security in place to prevent that.

Licensed gun sellers are on line. So are unlicensed and people who aren't in business selling guns.

When it's a private sale that's not done with a licensed seller there's no background check.

Which happens a lot. Both on line and in real time. Whether it's at gun show or just at someone's house.

Licensed gun sellers are on line. So are unlicensed and people who aren't in business selling guns.

When it's a private sale that's not done with a licensed seller there's no background check.

Which happens a lot. Both on line and in real time. Whether it's at gun show or just at someone's house.
I suppose it does happen, but according to federal law, firearms can only be shipped to a licensed gun dealer. There's a big time fine and considerable jail time if you get caught. Most of my purchases have been private sales, but I do occasionally buy retail or on line. There's a gun shop a mile and a half from here that handles that for me.

So, if they are already breaking the law by not following protocal , what do you think another law will do?

I suppose it does happen, but according to federal law, firearms can only be shipped to a licensed gun dealer. There's a big time fine and considerable jail time if you get caught. Most of my purchases have been private sales, but I do occasionally buy retail or on line. There's a gun shop a mile and a half from here that handles that for me.

If it's only legal to ship weapons to licensed dealers, then those dealers are breaking the law when they sell a gun to someone and put it in the mail.

On line sales go through the mail.

So, if they are already breaking the law by not following protocal , what do you think another law will do?

It's not illegal to not do a background check if the seller isn't a licensed dealer.

That's the loophole.

Private sales, some sales over the internet and all private sales at gun shows aren't done with licensed dealers. So there aren't any background checks done.

A new law requiring all sales of guns include a background check will stop some sales to those who shouldn't have a gun. No. It won't stop all. However just because the death penalty doesn't stop murder doesn't mean we stop executing murderers.

There is some sort of mass mental illness today. This is what happens in depraved minds.

Yep another white christian gun owner goes off the deep end

No wonder none of the cave apes are ranting about Black people. They are mysteriously quiet. Funny they always blame it on mental illness if the person is white. Damn shame this happened to their family.

It isn't a matter of people making excuses for Andrea Yates. She had postpartum depression and psychosis to an extreme degree. The point with her situation is that people should have taken it more seriously.

This is the same with the man in the OP article. He has a history of mental issues and violence. People should be taking these things more seriously. However, often, if we do, the right says we are overreacting and stomping on individual rights. Where do we draw the line? Do we wait until someone commits a heinous crime and then blame the other side for not doing enough?

It's just funny that MURDER is already illegal!!! WTH do you dummies think another law is going to stop these people? Good grief!!! They'll just get their weapon elsewhere or use another "tool" to accomplish the job.
A gun is so handy and easy to use. In a rush of emotion or psychosis, someone can do a lot of damage. When they have to look for and plan for another weapon, the impetus for violence may pass. Also, with a knife, for example, the person wielding the weapon puts him or herself in danger. With a gun, that's very much less likely. When you have a gun, you don't need to take the time to think about it, just start shooting: it's so easy and quick.

Forum List

Back