🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Breaking News: 8 People Killed, Mostly Children In Florida.

The problem is NOT the weapon used. It is in the WILL of said person to kill. If he hadn't a gun, it would have been something else. Andrea Yates killed all 5 of her children by drowning them in a bathtub. Was anyone angry at bathtubs after that? No, they were angry at HER.

I am not willing to give up ANY of my rights because of the actions of some lunatics who would kill anyway.

Who is talking about taking your guns from you?

No one is talking about taking guns from law abiding people. If you're one of those you have nothing to worry about.

The fact that you're willing to use a lie to justify allowing the wrong people to get guns shows me that you're probably one of those people who can't pass a background check.

I personally want background checks. To keep guns out of the hands of those who do things such as what happened yesterday.

If you're a felon, have real mental issues or have a history of domestic violence, you shouldn't have a gun.

That man was a felon and was still able to get a gun. The only way to decrease the violence is to prevent those people from getting a gun in the first place.

Who's talking about taking my guns away? You are, you're just too stupid and short sighted to realize it. When you make laws to stop bad people from getting a gun, you take away the freedoms of the law abiding as well. And when the bad guy still finds a way, you make more laws and take more rights away, and the cycle repeats because you left wing idiots are too stupid to address the ACTUAL problem. Then eventually no one is allowed to own a gun. It is exactly what you are doing.

Tell all of us how a background check takes guns away from law abiding citizens.

Taking guns out of the hands of the wrong people won't take guns out of the hands of law abiding citizens.

Please tell me what the solution is since you know what the actual problem is.

Last edited:
The problem is NOT the weapon used. It is in the WILL of said person to kill. If he hadn't a gun, it would have been something else. Andrea Yates killed all 5 of her children by drowning them in a bathtub. Was anyone angry at bathtubs after that? No, they were angry at HER.

I am not willing to give up ANY of my rights because of the actions of some lunatics who would kill anyway.

No one is talking about taking guns from law abiding people. If you're one of those you have nothing to worry about.

The fact that you're willing to use a lie to justify allowing the wrong people to get guns shows me that you're probably one of those people who can't pass a background check.

I personally want background checks. To keep guns out of the hands of those who do things such as what happened yesterday.

If you're a felon, have real mental issues or have a history of domestic violence, you shouldn't have a gun.

That man was a felon and was still able to get a gun. The only way to decrease the violence is to prevent those people from getting a gun in the first place.
Do you honestly think he went the route to receive that gun that would have run a background check, if required? With his history, my guess is he got it through the black market, which would not give a damn whether a background check was required or not.

Well if background checks were required for ALL gun sales then that problem would stop after a while.

Those who continue to sell guns to people without a background check will be easier to find and easier to put in jail.

So whether a criminal gets it from the black-market or from a private sale and then uses that gun in a crime, the person who committed the crime and the person who sold them the gun illegally will go to jail.

I just want to know why you want to make it easy for a criminal to get a gun for their next crime or murder.

I personally want background checks

You do realize that all gun stores conduct back ground checks...even at gun shows....

Yes but private sales don't do background checks.

Neither does sales from the internet.

Very big loopholes that allow criminals to get guns and harm innocent people.

Close the loopholes and it's harder for a criminal to get a gun. It also makes it easier for law enforcement to find those selling guns to criminals and put them in jail where they belong.

Will it stop all crime? No. No one is suggesting it will. It will stop some crime. If it saves even one life from being cut short, it's worth the background check.

Just because we can't stop all crime doesn't mean we should just let criminals do what they want and not do anything about it.

Do you advocate that we stop prosecuting murderers and make it legal to murder someone just because we can't stop all murder from happening?

He had a previous record, but don't know what, other than he had served time.

He killed his son in 2001.

The man was a convicted felon and had a record of violence and murder.

Which is why the background checks on gun sales loopholes need to be closed.

First of all, there aren't any loopholes idiot. And second, you don't even know wether he owned the gun, borrowed it or stole it.

Calling me names isn't going to make what you said true or make what I said any less true.

There are loopholes in the background check law. People don't get background checks in private sales at gun shows and on line or face to face sales.

That's a loophole. A way to get around the intent of the law.

No we don't know how he got that gun but he sure didn't get it at a regular gun store. He wouldn't have been able to pass the background check.

He got it through a private transaction or from just borrowing it from someone else.
Do you have concrete evidence that a large percentage of murders have been carried out with weapons acquired due to these loopholes?

I personally want background checks

You do realize that all gun stores conduct back ground checks...even at gun shows....

Yes but private sales don't do background checks.

Neither does sales from the internet.

Very big loopholes that allow criminals to get guns and harm innocent people.

Close the loopholes and it's harder for a criminal to get a gun. It also makes it easier for law enforcement to find those selling guns to criminals and put them in jail where they belong.

Will it stop all crime? No. No one is suggesting it will. It will stop some crime. If it saves even one life from being cut short, it's worth the background check.

Just because we can't stop all crime doesn't mean we should just let criminals do what they want and not do anything about it.

Do you advocate that we stop prosecuting murderers and make it legal to murder someone just because we can't stop all murder from happening?
And I guess by banning autos we will save a life as well, and so will banning knives, and bungy jumping, and rocks, and hammers and playgrounds, and...

Look, I personally do not own a gun. But I also know that guns can save lives. I also grew up where hunting was very popular. I also know that people have been killed unjustly by guns, but I also know that most gun ownership is by responsible gun owners.
There is an emotional factor some can't seem to separate from the facts that very few murders are caused by legal gun acquisition. And the fact that guns are acquired every single day by black market means, which would not change with any amount of law change and most murders are committed by illegal gun acquisition.

You do know that as a convicted felon it was already against he law for him to be in possession of that gun....and yet that didn't stop him....you know...before he went on to murder his family....

Background checks for private sales are just another waste of time...when you find a felon with a gun and if he got it from a private citizen....you arrest the felon because of the two people...he is the one who knew he was breaking the law...

problem solved....

for the record...lives,saved and crimes stopped by guns....at least 700,000 per year, and likely as high as 2 million times,a year....vs...8-9,000 gun murders a,year...

Gun murders from 2007-2011....

FBI mdash Expanded Homicide Data Table 8

And 2007 there were over 10,000 gun murders...by 2011 it was just over 8,000

gun murders are going down, not up...and that is after more and more people are buying, owning and carrying guns....

Last edited:
a look at background checks as analyzed by John Lott

Fact vs. fiction on background checks and the gun control debate Fox News

Furthermore, there is no real scientific evidence among criminologists and economists that background checks actually reduce crime. In fact, a 2004 National Academy of Sciences panel concluded that the Brady background checks didn't reduce any type of violent crime. Nor have other later studies found a beneficial effect.

The number of criminals stopped by the checks is also quite small. In 2010, there were over 76,000 initial denials, but only 44 of those were deemed worthy for prosecution and only 13 individuals were convicted. Even those 13 cases don’t tend to be the “dangerous” criminals Obama claims are being stopped.

All these denials mean delays for many law-abiding gun buyers. Although this is merely an inconvenience for most, initial denials cause dangerous delays for people who suddenly, legitimately need a gun for self-defense, such as a woman being stalked by an ex-boyfriend or spouse.

They don't stop criminals from getting guns....they can delay a gun purchase for someone being threatened...they inconvenience a lot of honest, law abiding citizens...what's not to love...

Last edited:
He had a previous record for harming his children and grandchildren. The man was insane. Why was he on the streets? What compassionate mind felt that he had paid his debt and should be free? What was his family thinking by not dropping him in his tracks when he showed up at the door?

It wasn't a compassionate mind.

It was the law.

He plead guilty and only got 3 years in prison.

Don Spirit pleaded guilty to possession of a firearm by a convicted felon in the fatal shooting of his 8-year-old son, Kyle, in a 2001 hunting accident. He was sentenced to three years in prison and was emotional about the shooting at his hearing.

Stop trying to put the blame where it doesn't belong.

The blame lies with the state of Florida, loopholes in background checks and don spirit.

He got three years because progressive idiots tell us that the mentally ill, the sexually depraved, and the violent aren't criminals..and children are expendable. So they changed the criminal codes to reflect that.

Hello 8-person Florida murder/suicide. Own it. Wallow in it.

Do you honestly think he went the route to receive that gun that would have run a background check, if required? With his history, my guess is he got it through the black market, which would not give a damn whether a background check was required or not.

Well if background checks were required for ALL gun sales then that problem would stop after a while.

Those who continue to sell guns to people without a background check will be easier to find and easier to put in jail.

So whether a criminal gets it from the black-market or from a private sale and then uses that gun in a crime, the person who committed the crime and the person who sold them the gun illegally will go to jail.

I just want to know why you want to make it easy for a criminal to get a gun for their next crime or murder.

This is one of the most stupid posts. Seriously? How on earth will a background check make it any easier to put people in jail? Also, how will it affect the black market? It will not. That is nuts!

You are talking about putting MORE useless laws on the books. It is already illegal and a criminal already will go to jail for buying or possessing a gun illegally. What is the point?

You post is a bunch of nonsensical grandstanding.

So someone broke the law to sell him a gun, or he stole one, or he had one squirreled away from when before he was convicted and imprisoned previously.

How would a background check have prevented this?

He killed his son in 2001.

The man was a convicted felon and had a record of violence and murder.

Which is why the background checks on gun sales loopholes need to be closed.

First of all, there aren't any loopholes idiot. And second, you don't even know wether he owned the gun, borrowed it or stole it.

Calling me names isn't going to make what you said true or make what I said any less true.

There are loopholes in the background check law. People don't get background checks in private sales at gun shows and on line or face to face sales.

That's a loophole. A way to get around the intent of the law.

No we don't know how he got that gun but he sure didn't get it at a regular gun store. He wouldn't have been able to pass the background check.

He got it through a private transaction or from just borrowing it from someone else.

You can also go to some shady guy in a crappy neighborhood and get a piece. How does a background check law prevent that from happening?

I am not willing to give up ANY of my rights because of the actions of some lunatics who would kill anyway.[/QUOTE] ChrisL

So, what you are saying is that you could not pass a background check for gun ownership, and you are not going to give up your right to buy a gun, anyway.

ChrisL

So, what you are saying is that you could not pass a background check for gun ownership, and you are not going to give up your right to buy a gun, anyway.[/QUOTE]

No, that is your projection!

Forum List

Back