Breaking News: Restaurants Closing All Over Seattle As $15 Minimum Wage Mandate Starts April 1st.

And you're right. Once MW earner feels threatened with losing public assistance, they would just intentionally work less or find another way in order to keep it.

You assume that minimum wage earner ENJOY having to rely on public assistance, that they don't want to give it up. I'd rather have my own money to spend without restrictions wherever I want.

Would you rather have you wages go up by $400 a month or receive $120 a month in food stamps? Being a conservative, you probably think the worker wants the food stamps.

And you're right. Once MW earner feels threatened with losing public assistance, they would just intentionally work less or find another way in order to keep it.

You assume that minimum wage earner ENJOY having to rely on public assistance, that they don't want to give it up. I'd rather have my own money to spend without restrictions wherever I want.

Would you rather have you wages go up by $400 a month or receive $120 a month in food stamps? Being a conservative, you probably think the worker wants the food stamps.
Food stamps is just one of the programs, so it's not about $120 a month but lot more. Look at the bigger picture... Check post #1706 by healthmyts, it might open your eyes.

And I am not assuming anything. I've seen it. Two years ago, company hired 6 people through a job service for $15 an hour, straight time. Half a year later, 4 of them were offered to be hired directly full time for the same wage. Direct hire would give them increase that job service charge for their cut. Every single one refused. They did the math. Company did math too, let them all go.

Last edited:
I am not hateful or greedy.

I just don't have much tolerance for fucking whiners like you.

And I've worked my share of shit jobs I just never expected to be given more than the job was worth and I realized unlike you idiots that if I didn't want to get stuck in a shit job that I had to improve myself so I could demand a higher salary.

I expect no less from anyone else.

Your problem is that you do.

You have a mentality that accepts grading on a curve. In fact I bet you benefited from it

Ok you're not hateful or greedy but you are completely out of touch with the current economic reality.

The average age of minimum wage workers is 25. These are adults, not teenagers looking for pocket money. They're the blue collar guys who lost their good union jobs because right wing economic policies encouraged US companies, looking for dazzling results, scored higher profits with cheap off-shore manufacturing that gives us short-use crappy stuff that falls apart quickly.

Good, North American made clothing used quality fabrics and workmanship so you could get several seasons out of them, pass ing kids' clothes on to siblings or church bazaars.

The clothing coming from China, and Bangladesh, are made of badly cut, paper thin fabrics. The outfits are never in need of repair because the buttons and seams last longer than the fabric.

From a manufacturer's point of view, it's win/win, they get their goods at a fraction of the cost and maintain their pricing structure and show a big increase in profits, and with such a short wearable lifespan, customers will buy more frequently and thus increase sales.

This has happened in all manufacturing. Bottom line management has killed American manufacturing. The people who used to make things and made a decent living for doing so are now a huge pool of people who want to work but whose skills aren't much in demand, so they take anything they can get, and employers have seen opportunities to save money by offering less and less for the same work.

They gave no raises for four or five years citing poor sales. Workers who ask for more money are soon gone and easily replaced.

Retail used to pay more than minimum wage. Then came Walmart.

Only about 3% of all workers are paid MW and half of those are under 25 and many of that 3% work service jobs where they get tips so their actual earnings are well above MW

They're not asking "the nation". They're asking their specific, private-sector employer, for whom they are doing a job that could be done equally well by a kid in junior high school. Translated, that means they're demanding that the government reach into their employer's pocket and give them his money for a job which is not valuable enough to warrant it.
Wonder how long you would last standing on a concrete kitchen floor in 120 degree heat for 6, 8 hours or more every day.

Cry me a fucking river.

That warped hateful mentality is gonna cost you even more down the road. The more hateful and greedy you become, the more American Workers will fight to kick your ass. It's especially gonna cost you in many future National Elections. Hating and insulting average hard-working Americans, isn't exactly a winning platform on the national level. Your greed will cost you more in the future. Bet on it.

And I've worked my share of shit jobs I just never expected to be given more than the job was worth and I realized unlike you idiots that if I didn't want to get stuck in a shit job that I had to improve myself so I could demand a higher salary.

You have a mentality that accepts grading on a curve. In fact I bet you benefited from it
Bet you did too. In fact unions increased everyones wages even yours.

And as unions went from 35% of the workforce to 12% wages dropped. Glad it didn't happen to you but it did 75% of americans you greedy jerk.

I was the guy who blew the curve for the people who didn't study. In fact I had arguments with my professors and the administration in college that curving grades shouldn't be allowed. I managed a 3.9 without curved scores

I worked a lot of shit jobs that were MW at the time so no the unions didn't help me there did they?

If you want to join a union go ahead. I worked in one union shop and felt I was held back because of all their stupid rules.

I used to like to work through lunch but was told I wasn't allowed. I would clean up an oil spill but was told it was maintenance's job and was told to wait for them to clean it up etc etc

Unions are for lazy shits.

It doesn't solve all the problems. But it's a start. These Workers will by no means be rich. $11 - $15 will help most just get by at best. That's certainly not a lot of money these days.

It create more problems then it solve. As I said, people may "feel" good that they're getting paid more per hour, but I think that feeling wont last long. If I am franchise owner and forced to pay fry boy more then his work is worth, I would have to adjust. How?

Giving fry boy more responsibilities, promote him to fry boy/floor sweeper. Then I don't need floor sweeper, so I lay him off. If fry boy doesn't like his promotion, I could lay him off and promote floor sweeper into fry boy/floor sweeper. More money, more responsibilities, right?

Or I could stop paying fry boy per hour. Hire him on contract. In fact, put everyone on contract. You get paid lump sum for the job done. Also, hire cleaning company to sweep floors. Contract workers become "self employed", no need to pay their taxes, unemployment benefits, health care, it's all on them from their paycheck.

I mentioned this before, but I'm just curious what happens in this situation: Fast food manager makes $14.75 an hour already, and fry boy makes minimum wage. With new law, they both get bumped to new minimum wage of $15 an hour. It would suck to be manager, extra responsibilities, the same pay... OK, it's still lot better being the boss at a shitty place than a peon at a shitty place.
Yup it is trickle up poor, the manager is now making minimum wage, he wont get a $7 dollar an hour wage the profit margins are slim in fast food. He just got fucked, his purchasing power just went way down, That's why any one making more then Minimum wage is a stupid fuck if they support it.they go against there own economic interest.

Wonder how long you would last standing on a concrete kitchen floor in 120 degree heat for 6, 8 hours or more every day.

Cry me a fucking river.

That warped hateful mentality is gonna cost you even more down the road. The more hateful and greedy you become, the more American Workers will fight to kick your ass. It's especially gonna cost you in many future National Elections. Hating and insulting average hard-working Americans, isn't exactly a winning platform on the national level. Your greed will cost you more in the future. Bet on it.

And as unions went from 35% of the workforce to 12% wages dropped. Glad it didn't happen to you but it did 75% of americans you greedy jerk.

I was the guy who blew the curve for the people who didn't study. In fact I had arguments with my professors and the administration in college that curving grades shouldn't be allowed. I managed a 3.9 without curved scores

I worked a lot of shit jobs that were MW at the time so no the unions didn't help me there did they?

If you want to join a union go ahead. I worked in one union shop and felt I was held back because of all their stupid rules.

I used to like to work through lunch but was told I wasn't allowed. I would clean up an oil spill but was told it was maintenance's job and was told to wait for them to clean it up etc etc

That's funny my dad said his fellow union workers got mad because he would stay late.

Unions aren't perfect but they bring everyones wages up. And as the disappear wages decline.

I dont care what you did. You are exceptional. Not everyone is. That's why they won't amass a fortune like you did right? So why you hate them?

Cry me a fucking river.

You were attempting to make yourself a more valuable and better employee not buy equal and fair evaluation, but by working for free during your lunch break and performing extra duties you may or may not have been trained for. You knew you were taking a union job and when you took it you received the benefits of the pay and benefit package the union negotiated for. The union had every right to make you adhere to the rules when you decided to kiss the boss's ass and try to screw over your fellow employees by reaping the benefits but refusing to follow the teams methods of earning those benefits. Union workers earn promotions by quality of work, leadership ability, etc., not by being scabs and ass kissers.

The average age of minimum wage workers is 25. These are adults, not teenagers looking for pocket money. They're the blue collar guys who lost their good union jobs because right wing economic policies encouraged US companies, looking for dazzling results, scored higher profits with cheap off-shore manufacturing that gives us short-use crappy stuff that falls apart quickly.
Wrong! Your analysis is political, not rational. Americans have/had the option to pay more for those made in the USA goods but elect to buy the cheaper goods. You apparently want to prevent the choice to protect the high paying union jobs but that would be against the laws of the land.

Blaming the companies for the decisions Americans make to score political points without caring about the rest of the story means you're just a hack that's left of the left in this country.

Cry me a fucking river.

That's funny my dad said his fellow union workers got mad because he would stay late.

Unions aren't perfect but they bring everyones wages up. And as the disappear wages decline.

I dont care what you did. You are exceptional. Not everyone is. That's why they won't amass a fortune like you did right? So why you hate them?
I don't hate anyone.

Just because I think people should be responsible for themselves you think I hate them?

Grow a fucking set won't you?

A job offered in the market has absolutely nothing to do with the worth of a person or that person's bills and everything to do with what that job is worth to the company

Low skill jobs that any moron can do with no training are not worth much.

If you want to get paid more then acquire some skills that are worth more to the market or work enough hours at your low skill job to pay your own bills.

This whole idea that one 40 hour a week job is supposed to pay all your bills is bullshit

Cry me a fucking river.

You were attempting to make yourself a more valuable and better employee not buy equal and fair evaluation, but by working for free during your lunch break and performing extra duties you may or may not have been trained for. You knew you were taking a union job and when you took it you received the benefits of the pay and benefit package the union negotiated for. The union had every right to make you adhere to the rules when you decided to kiss the boss's ass and try to screw over your fellow employees by reaping the benefits but refusing to follow the teams methods of earning those benefits. Union workers earn promotions by quality of work, leadership ability, etc., not by being scabs and ass kissers.

I didn't need to be trained to clean up a machine oil spill.

And I didn't want to work for "free" I never worked for nothing I wanted to work through lunch so i could punch punch out at 3 instead of 3:30 because I had a second job to get to.

I generally don't eat lunch so it seemed stupid to me to just sit on my ass for 30 minutes doing nothing.

Like I said unions cater to the lowest common denominator lazy shits

Americans have/had the option to pay more for those made in the USA goods but elect to buy the cheaper goods

You speaking for your self there weasel. Not me. I buy American. If it's not made in America, I don't really need it.
IF I have to have something that isn't made in America I look for a company that at least pays people a decent wage and treats them fairly.

But you being an asshole, you only care about you and if you could buy something made in China for a few cents less than an item made here, you are so stupid you buy the Chinese goods.

Way to show your supposed love of country you weasel you.

And I didn't want to work for "free" I never worked for nothing I wanted to work through lunch so i could punch punch out at 3 instead of 3:30 because I had a second job to get to.

I generally don't eat lunch so it seemed stupid to me to just sit on my ass for 30 minutes doing nothing.

And I guess you don't understand what it takes to get ahead.

You do more than you're expected to.

Anyone who comes in and does the bare minimum will never get anywhere.

Anyone who ever achieved anything knows this

You can get ahead by being good at what you do. You can be better than average at what you do. You can be fast and at the same time produce quality work than others. You do not have to cheat. Working while others are eating lunch is cheating. Doing extra tasks is just a way of sucking up to the boss and cutting someone else out of a job. If you are good at what you do cheating and sucking up aren't necessary. Your work should be able to stand alone and compete with others who do the same work in the same amount of time under the same conditions.

You can get ahead by being good at what you do. You can be better than average at what you do. You can be fast and at the same time produce quality work than others. You do not have to cheat. Working while others are eating lunch is cheating. Doing extra tasks is just a way of sucking up to the boss and cutting someone else out of a job. If you are good at what you do cheating and sucking up aren't necessary. Your work should be able to stand alone and compete with others who do the same work in the same amount of time under the same conditions.
Why don't you read what I post Idiot.

I said i wanted to work through lunch so i could punch out at 3 instead of 330 so I could get to my second job I wasn't working more than those other slobs. And I still managed to outproduce them. I actually wanted piece work but the other lazy fucks voted it down. They all tended to produce the bare minimum they had to. They got orders finished barely by the dead line. I was 3 weeks ahead on my orders and I didn't want to keep the job I just worked it to earn tuition money.

But hey how does your do the bare minimum work ethic treat you when it comes time for a raise?

And sorry but it's a dog eat dog world out there and there is nothing wrong with doing more than is expected of you in order to get ahead.

But then again I guess only people with well developed work ethics believe that truism.

most of walmart's customers are the poor and middle class. Rich greedy evil people do not shop at walmart. They go to whole foods or fresh market and pay more than walmart charges.

walmart helps the poor by providing low prices and jobs.

Walmart creates the poor, it does not help the poor. Higher wages have never ever caused prices to rise in the USA. Wage price spiral is a fallacy that you corporate boot-lickers swallowed hook line & sinker. Prices inflation is caused by bank lending & printing to support workers living off government, never by increased wages.

Wage-Price Spiral

DEFINITION of 'Wage-Price Spiral'
A macroeconomic theory to explain the cause-and-effect relationship between rising wages and rising prices, or inflation. The wage-price sprial suggests that rising wages increase disposable income, thus raising the demand for goods and causing prices to rise. Rising prices cause demand for higher wages, which leads to higher production costs and further upward pressure on prices.

INVESTOPEDIA EXPLAINS 'Wage-Price Spiral'
The wage-price spiral is one concept that deals with the causes and consequences of inflation, and it is most popular in Keynesian economic theory. It is also known as the "cost-push" origin of inflation. Another cause of inflation is known as "demand-pull" inflation, which monetary theorists believe originates with the money supply.

Once again, we would like to thank the mentally retarded for playing .......................

Workers aren't asking for riches. They're just asking to be paid a decent livable wage. And i don't think that's too much to ask in the richest nation on earth.

They're not asking "the nation". They're asking their specific, private-sector employer, for whom they are doing a job that could be done equally well by a kid in junior high school. Translated, that means they're demanding that the government reach into their employer's pocket and give them his money for a job which is not valuable enough to warrant it.
My buddy owns a small business in a nice middle class town. Him and all the small business owners all talk and I just left a small business that closed in another very nice middle class town. Taxes aren't what's killing small businesses. No customers is.

My buddy said 75% of americans are barely getting by so they aren't spending any money.

Start your own business? Selling what to who?

I luckily just found a great manufacturing sales job so I never have to start a small business and work for minimum wage.

The rich have all the money go sell something to them. Oh they already have one? Out of business already?

Gargantuan Corporations like Walmart have annihilated the little guy. Greedy fat Americans love their cheap Chinese-made shit. Most have no idea that they're only supporting their own demise. They're funding it.

most of walmart's customers are the poor and middle class. Rich greedy evil people do not shop at walmart. They go to whole foods or fresh market and pay more than walmart charges.

Walmart does not help the poor, it helps itself while selling schmucks like you on the notion that they're helping Americans.

Walmart has actively encouraged its suppliers to move manufacturing offshore so they can lower their prices, at the cost of American jobs.

More jobs are lost because Walmart drives smaller mom and pop stores out of business. In some towns, they've cut the prices until the competition is gone and they're the only store left, then they raise their prices. And people who worked for decent wages in the mom and pop stores have nowhere to work but Walmart.

The loss of retail districts in small towns reduces the available jobs and the tax base.

Walmart's employment practices and low wages to retail workers has had the effect of cutting wages in the retail sector across the board. Other big box stores have had to adopt similar practices and pay scales in order to remain competitive, putting more pressure on social spending to subsidize the low wages.

So don't try to tell me that Walmart helps poor people. Walmart is a big part of the reason why so many are poor in the first place.

So you advocate to close Wal Mart's door's putting hundreds of thousands out of work and forcing people to either turn to a competitor such as Target, Sears or overly priced Mom and Pops shops.
You seem to think all those people would be better with no job than an actual job that pays a wage ..................
Instead of advocating self control, living within ones means and educating ones self to improve skill sets, you rant on how those workers are being taken advantage of ....................

Give it a fucking break, Get a fucking clue .........................

Tell me how those Bull Shit Liberal policies you spew out your mouth have worked for Detroit or Chicago .....................................

I said i wanted to work through lunch so i could punch out at 3 instead of 330 so I could get to my second job I wasn't working more than those other slobs. And I still managed to outproduce them. I actually wanted piece work but the other lazy fucks voted it down. They all tended to produce the bare minimum they had to. They got orders finished barely by the dead line. I was 3 weeks ahead on my orders and I didn't want to keep the job I just worked it to earn tuition money.

But hey how does your do the bare minimum work ethic treat you when it comes time for a raise?

And sorry but it's a dog eat dog world out there and there is nothing wrong with doing more than is expected of you in order to get ahead.

But then again I guess only people with well developed work ethics believe that truism.
It sounds like your story changes each time a response challenges your claims. You did piece work, but were not dependent on other workers providing material or hauling away finished product. You depended on absolutely no other worker to perform or complete your task. No other workers were dependent on your work to complete their own. You were at a job that was completely independent on all other employees and that allowed you to select your own adjustable work hours. The company thought so highly of you they were ok with you working without any management during your lunch break.

My buddy owns a small business in a nice middle class town. Him and all the small business owners all talk and I just left a small business that closed in another very nice middle class town. Taxes aren't what's killing small businesses. No customers is.

My buddy said 75% of americans are barely getting by so they aren't spending any money.

Start your own business? Selling what to who?

I luckily just found a great manufacturing sales job so I never have to start a small business and work for minimum wage.

The rich have all the money go sell something to them. Oh they already have one? Out of business already?

Gargantuan Corporations like Walmart have annihilated the little guy. Greedy fat Americans love their cheap Chinese-made shit. Most have no idea that they're only supporting their own demise. They're funding it.

Walmart does not help the poor, it helps itself while selling schmucks like you on the notion that they're helping Americans.

Walmart has actively encouraged its suppliers to move manufacturing offshore so they can lower their prices, at the cost of American jobs.

More jobs are lost because Walmart drives smaller mom and pop stores out of business. In some towns, they've cut the prices until the competition is gone and they're the only store left, then they raise their prices. And people who worked for decent wages in the mom and pop stores have nowhere to work but Walmart.

The loss of retail districts in small towns reduces the available jobs and the tax base.

Walmart's employment practices and low wages to retail workers has had the effect of cutting wages in the retail sector across the board. Other big box stores have had to adopt similar practices and pay scales in order to remain competitive, putting more pressure on social spending to subsidize the low wages.

So don't try to tell me that Walmart helps poor people. Walmart is a big part of the reason why so many are poor in the first place.

So you advocate to close Wal Mart's door's putting hundreds of thousands out of work and forcing people to either turn to a competitor such as Target, Sears or overly priced Mom and Pops shops.
You seem to think all those people would be better with no job than an actual job that pays a wage ..................
Instead of advocating self control, living within ones means and educating ones self to improve skill sets, you rant on how those workers are being taken advantage of ....................

Give it a fucking break, Get a fucking clue .........................

Tell me how those Bull Shit Liberal policies you spew out your mouth have worked for Detroit or Chicago .....................................
OMG, the Chinese long handled flat shovel I bought last year at Walmart would have cost 6.95 instead of 5.95.

It sounds like your story changes each time a response challenges your claims. You did piece work, but were not dependent on other workers providing material or hauling away finished product. You depended on absolutely no other worker to perform or complete your task. No other workers were dependent on your work to complete their own. You were at a job that was completely independent on all other employees and that allowed you to select your own adjustable work hours. The company thought so highly of you they were ok with you working without any management during your lunch break.

Sometimes reality is stranger than fiction .................

I spent a lot of time in aluminum boat manufacturing. In my earlier years I spent years at a boat plant in which I was allowed to learn / work any and every job in the plant from uncoiling metal rolls, setting up presses, punches, hydraulic breaks, etc, etc.
I was a welder, I spent time with my lead foreman learning to rivet, I learned interior work / trim, all the way out to paint and finally loading and shipping.
There was nothing in that plant I could not do, it was a piece work plant, never had to wait on anyone, I could fabricate it from start to finish.

I left that job and at a point and time later in life went to work for a second plant as the "only" person on a second shift. I was a qualified mofo and was given a key to the plant an cart blanch, I could and still can fabricate aluminum all weld boats from start to finish with out any help. Now to rivet a boat I got to have a bucker to catch the other side of the rivets.

Anyways point being, while not in your realm of reality ......... there definitely are real life scenarios just as he has described.

But for an ignorant, closed minded person I would have to guess everything is suspect .................

Must be terrible to go through life so ignorant ......................

Last edited:

Forum List

Back