BREAKING: Sen. Jeff Flake (R-AZ) announces he will not run again...

I have no doubt that Flake and Corker have decided not to run for reelection because they're worried about being primaried. That's not the real issue here.

Ward will almost certainly lose the general. Flake, if he ran again, would almost certainly win.

It is the only issue here. Opposition to Trumps agenda is now the kiss of political death for incumbent Republicans...that is far mord important than whether Dems get a pick up or not in Arizona. You need to think more strategically and less tactically.
You're going to lose some skirmishes on the way to laying claim to the battlefield. I'm not conceding Arizona...in all honesty I don't follow state level politics in any state other than my own. Trump is solidifying his power over the political fortunes of these political insiders...and that is more important than individual races.

:lol:

You've got that flipped around. You're thinking tactically, not strategically. Ideological purity within the Republican Party is meaningless if they lose control.

There is a large portion of the Republican voting base that feels the same was as Flake and Corker. Those people aren't going to vote for Ward in Arizona, they're going to stay home.

That's the biggest issue with the way you guys regard Trump. You mistake a perfect storm for a tidal change.

Right now, on all 3 cable news channels, Sen. Jeff Flake is announcing that he will not run again for office.

Apparently, he's not happy about serving in a screwed up Congress under a president with no leadership qualities. And, he's not just talking about Trump, he's talking about the whole government, from the backbiting and fighting in Congress between the members all the way up to Trump and the way he's doing things.

He really doesn't sound happy about the way Congress and the government has divided itself.

Arizona's Jeff Flake announces he will not seek re-election to U.S. Senate

The bombshell, which Flake, R-Ariz., intended to detail Tuesday afternoon on the Senate floor, will further roil Republican hopes of keeping the party's 52-seat Senate majority in the midterm elections of Trump's first term, when the president's party historically loses seats in Congress.

It also likely will upend the race for Flake's seat.

Flake, one of the Senate's more prominent critics of President Donald Trump, has been struggling in the polls.

He told The Arizona Republic ahead of his announcement that he has become convinced "there may not be a place for a Republican like me in the current Republican climate or the current Republican Party."

'Here's the bottom line ...'
Flake said he has not "soured on the Senate" and loves the institution, but that as a traditional, libertarian-leaning conservative Republican he is out of step with today's Trump-dominated GOP.

"This spell will pass, but not by next year," Flake said.

Among Republican primary voters, there's overwhelming support for Trump's positions and "behavior," Flake said, and one of their top concerns is whether a candidate is with the president or against him. While Flake said he is with Trump on some issues, on other issues he is not. And Trump definitely views him as a foe, having denounced Flake publicly and called him "toxic" on Twitter.

"Here's the bottom line: The path that I would have to travel to get the Republican nomination is a path I'm not willing to take, and that I can't in good conscience take," Flake told The Republic in a telephone interview. "It would require me to believe in positions I don't hold on such issues as trade and immigration and it would require me to condone behavior that I cannot condone."

No, he just knows he'll be slaughtered in any election against the person bannon runs against him. He wasn't a conservative anyway so the repubs won't be missing him.

"The person Bannon runs against him" is the one who lost by double digits to McCain last year.

Flake: “We need more robust legal immigration & significant temporary worker programs...particularly in high-tech."

that's why he's OUT.

That's why Kelli Ward beat McCain so badly, right?

Trump won Arizona by 4%...Flake opposed Trump and he's dropping out.

Trump won Tennessee by 26%...Corker opposed Trump, and he's dropped out.

If McCain were up for re-election, he'd be dropping out too.

As an aside...Trump won Missouri by 19%...incumbent Republican Senator Roy Blount eeked out a win on the same ballot by a measly 2%.

You don't get it.

Trump won Arizona by 4% (within the margin of error).

During that same election cycle, McCain beat Ward (a huge Trumpster) by double digits in the primary, and beat the Democrat challenger in the general by double digits as well.

Since then, Trump has only lost support.

So, it just a huge coincidence that the Republicans who are so far out of the realm of possibility for re-election That they are dropping out of their races and going home just HAPPEN to be the same Republicans that oppose the Trump agenda?

Come on :rolleyes:... I was born at night, but it weren't LAST night.

I have no doubt that Flake and Corker have decided not to run for reelection because they're worried about being primaried. That's not the real issue here.

Ward will almost certainly lose the general. Flake, if he ran again, would almost certainly win.

I am not so sure of that. However Flake's chances of winning are better than Ward's. I think Flake has been damaged by his votes to kick millions off of their insurance.

Ward is O'Donnell 2.0 - and the end result will be the same.

There might be a "bloodbath" in the House, but Republicans are pretty safe in the Senate next year. They've only got 9 or so seats up this time.

Why would there be a bloodbath in the House? Do you think that many Democrats are going to defeated?

Republican incumbents in the House are pretty safe. They have passed the legislation we wanted.

That is why they are at risk. Also whether Obamacare should be repealed or whether it should be fixed could be the issue.

Republican incumbents in the House will be reelected. It is almost always a certainty.

Those on Obamcare don't vote Republican anyway.

Really? Then why'd Drumpf run on making it better?

Anything than what we had is better, including gutting it completely.
Not what Drumpf ran on, so we shall see.

Low Energy Jeff Flake becomes the 5th GOP senator whose career was ended by his vote for Marco Rubio's amnesty bill. Nine to go.

Incumbent senators almost never lose re-election. Five of 14 GOPers to vote for Rubio's 2013 amnesty: GONE! But they'll never learn.

DM7sXacXUAE4K3D.jpg

I don't think you get it. Most Americans do want an immigration bill, and we're talking about two Senators from Arizona--a border state--that realise that we need an immigration reform bill in this country.

But the real reason Jeff Flake, Bob Corker & John McCain are making these comments is because they KNOW that Trump is UNFIT to hold this office, and they aren't going to pretend that he is anymore.

Here is Jeff Flake's speech of today. You might want to actually listen to it--:badgrin:
Republican Sen. Jeff Flake won't run for re-election - CNNPolitics

Last edited:
It's beginning to look like the Bannon Effect is going to kick in, and that 2018 will be the year we find out if the people really want what he and Trump are selling. Whatever that is.

It's beginning to look like the Bannon Effect is going to kick in, and that 2018 will be the year we find out if the people really want what he and Trump are selling. Whatever that is.

Bannon effect, Bannon is nothing but a well paid troll by Robert Mercer. He is a real swamp creature, he and Trump , Pence, need I go on.

Low Energy Flake has dismissed the genuine anger out there. And he's failed to appreciate Trump as the vehicle for that anger

It is the only issue here. Opposition to Trumps agenda is now the kiss of political death for incumbent Republicans...that is far mord important than whether Dems get a pick up or not in Arizona. You need to think more strategically and less tactically.
You're going to lose some skirmishes on the way to laying claim to the battlefield. I'm not conceding Arizona...in all honesty I don't follow state level politics in any state other than my own. Trump is solidifying his power over the political fortunes of these political insiders...and that is more important than individual races.

You've got that flipped around. You're thinking tactically, not strategically. Ideological purity within the Republican Party is meaningless if they lose control.

There is a large portion of the Republican voting base that feels the same was as Flake and Corker. Those people aren't going to vote for Ward in Arizona, they're going to stay home.

That's the biggest issue with the way you guys regard Trump. You mistake a perfect storm for a tidal change.
I'm not sure they will stay home if they perceive the result would be a shift in their senator supporting a liberal agenda they really dislike. Flake was hardly liberal. He was a main street conservative. Fortunately for the dems, they appear to be running someone who is not of the Bernie persuasion.

Rep. Kyrsten Sinema enters Senate race, hoping to unseat Jeff Flake

Flake never would have gotten re-elected anyway. Why is this news?

In a closely-divided legislature, EVERY member must support the party line, or s/he will be ejected.

On every single major ballot in this Congress, every single Democrat has voted the party line, and we don't hear a PEEP about it. But here is a renegade Republican, and the media is wailing that he is FORCED to toe the Party Line!

Gimmeafukkinbreak.

I'm not sure they will stay home if they perceive the result would be a shift in their senator supporting a liberal agenda they really dislike. Flake was hardly liberal. He was a main street conservative. Fortunately for the dems, they appear to be running someone who is not of the Bernie persuasion.

Rep. Kyrsten Sinema enters Senate race, hoping to unseat Jeff Flake

Arizona is a purple enough state that whatever margin does stay home will have a dramatic influence on the final result.

He really roasted Trump to the Senate today. Pretty powerful speech, imo.
Two republican senators came out today blasting their own party’s president’s honesty. That’s unprecedented.

They're never Trumpers. They've been doing this for forever. Fuck them. Good riddance.

Democrats are going down in the next election. They don't have to resign.

Nope 2018 is going to be a bloodbath for Republicans.
Trump Disapproval Rating Nears 70 Percent: Poll
RealClearPolitics - Election Other - President Trump Job Approval!

There might be a "bloodbath" in the House, but Republicans are pretty safe in the Senate next year. They've only got 9 or so seats up this time.

Why would there be a bloodbath in the House? Do you think that many Democrats are going to defeated?

Republican incumbents in the House are pretty safe. They have passed the legislation we wanted.

That is why they are at risk. Also whether Obamacare should be repealed or whether it should be fixed could be the issue.

Republican incumbents in the House will be reelected. It is almost always a certainty.

Those on Obamcare don't vote Republican anyway.

Right now, on all 3 cable news channels, Sen. Jeff Flake is announcing that he will not run again for office.

Apparently, he's not happy about serving in a screwed up Congress under a president with no leadership qualities. And, he's not just talking about Trump, he's talking about the whole government, from the backbiting and fighting in Congress between the members all the way up to Trump and the way he's doing things.

He really doesn't sound happy about the way Congress and the government has divided itself.

Arizona's Jeff Flake announces he will not seek re-election to U.S. Senate

The bombshell, which Flake, R-Ariz., intended to detail Tuesday afternoon on the Senate floor, will further roil Republican hopes of keeping the party's 52-seat Senate majority in the midterm elections of Trump's first term, when the president's party historically loses seats in Congress.

It also likely will upend the race for Flake's seat.

Flake, one of the Senate's more prominent critics of President Donald Trump, has been struggling in the polls.

He told The Arizona Republic ahead of his announcement that he has become convinced "there may not be a place for a Republican like me in the current Republican climate or the current Republican Party."

'Here's the bottom line ...'
Flake said he has not "soured on the Senate" and loves the institution, but that as a traditional, libertarian-leaning conservative Republican he is out of step with today's Trump-dominated GOP.

"This spell will pass, but not by next year," Flake said.

Among Republican primary voters, there's overwhelming support for Trump's positions and "behavior," Flake said, and one of their top concerns is whether a candidate is with the president or against him. While Flake said he is with Trump on some issues, on other issues he is not. And Trump definitely views him as a foe, having denounced Flake publicly and called him "toxic" on Twitter.

"Here's the bottom line: The path that I would have to travel to get the Republican nomination is a path I'm not willing to take, and that I can't in good conscience take," Flake told The Republic in a telephone interview. "It would require me to believe in positions I don't hold on such issues as trade and immigration and it would require me to condone behavior that I cannot condone."

No, he just knows he'll be slaughtered in any election against the person bannon runs against him. He wasn't a conservative anyway so the repubs won't be missing him.

The next senator from AZ will be Dr Kelli Ward, unless Mcain due to his illness, has to resign 1st. At that time governor Duce will install a more CONSERVATIVE Republican, and there will go Obysmal care.

For you who aren't paying close attention------> if the Repubs pass this tax deal; even through reconciliation, you will probably have 55 or 56 Republican senators, Mcain will be on the way out if not already gone, and the Presidents agenda will pass. Don't buy into the lefts notion, that the repubs are going to take a bath, unless the bath they are talking about is in the primary.

What you are going to see I am firmly convinced, is the most BRILLIANT political moves we have seen in 50 yrs! Who devised this? I have no idea, and I mean it; but what they did was let the Democrats put Russia into the minds of the American people, BEFORE they start feeding the information on what, and who, really had this all going on. As this comes to the fore front over the winter, the left is going to be done everywhere, but the bluest of blue states.

At 1st I was skeptical and thought it was to good to be true. It had to be phony..........UNTIL............it was proven that they have a witness, and the witness was put under a gag order by the DOJ during the Obama administration. This witness has documents, and tapes! Sessions is going to REMOVE that order, and by January, you probably won't see a lefty on here, up to and including their paid posters. This is going to be a rout alright, but in exactly the opposite direction of what the lefties on here are predicting! I know leftist on here don't believe it, and I don't blame them, I really don't. Like I said, neither did I! But it is looking like what at 1st appeared to be 90-10 probability of being false, has turned into 85-15 of being true.

Again, who devised the patience strategy? It wasn't Trump, I would bet the house on it! But, I am more than sure, it was someone who is, or was, in the inner circle! Whomever it was, will have pulled off something politically amazing if it follows through. If it comes to pass as the evidence appears to be, Rosenstein will be gone, Muehler will be gone, Comey will look as close to a traitor as possible, and the lefties will all be hiding under their beds!

I want to thank President Trump for another great accomplishment... Driving Jeff Flake out of the Senate. Well done!

Forum List

Back