BREAKING: Sen. Jeff Flake (R-AZ) announces he will not run again...

Right now, on all 3 cable news channels, Sen. Jeff Flake is announcing that he will not run again for office.

Apparently, he's not happy about serving in a screwed up Congress under a president with no leadership qualities. And, he's not just talking about Trump, he's talking about the whole government, from the backbiting and fighting in Congress between the members all the way up to Trump and the way he's doing things.

He really doesn't sound happy about the way Congress and the government has divided itself.

Arizona's Jeff Flake announces he will not seek re-election to U.S. Senate

The bombshell, which Flake, R-Ariz., intended to detail Tuesday afternoon on the Senate floor, will further roil Republican hopes of keeping the party's 52-seat Senate majority in the midterm elections of Trump's first term, when the president's party historically loses seats in Congress.

It also likely will upend the race for Flake's seat.

Flake, one of the Senate's more prominent critics of President Donald Trump, has been struggling in the polls.

He told The Arizona Republic ahead of his announcement that he has become convinced "there may not be a place for a Republican like me in the current Republican climate or the current Republican Party."

'Here's the bottom line ...'
Flake said he has not "soured on the Senate" and loves the institution, but that as a traditional, libertarian-leaning conservative Republican he is out of step with today's Trump-dominated GOP.

"This spell will pass, but not by next year," Flake said.

Among Republican primary voters, there's overwhelming support for Trump's positions and "behavior," Flake said, and one of their top concerns is whether a candidate is with the president or against him. While Flake said he is with Trump on some issues, on other issues he is not. And Trump definitely views him as a foe, having denounced Flake publicly and called him "toxic" on Twitter.

"Here's the bottom line: The path that I would have to travel to get the Republican nomination is a path I'm not willing to take, and that I can't in good conscience take," Flake told The Republic in a telephone interview. "It would require me to believe in positions I don't hold on such issues as trade and immigration and it would require me to condone behavior that I cannot condone."
Don't blame him......getting out while he can....maybe looking for a bomb bunker somewhere too.
Now if we can just talk him into taking some of the other "professional politicians" with him.

I have no doubt that Flake and Corker have decided not to run for reelection because they're worried about being primaried. That's not the real issue here.

Ward will almost certainly lose the general. Flake, if he ran again, would almost certainly win.

It is the only issue here. Opposition to Trumps agenda is now the kiss of political death for incumbent Republicans...that is far mord important than whether Dems get a pick up or not in Arizona. You need to think more strategically and less tactically.
You're going to lose some skirmishes on the way to laying claim to the battlefield. I'm not conceding Arizona...in all honesty I don't follow state level politics in any state other than my own. Trump is solidifying his power over the political fortunes of these political insiders...and that is more important than individual races.

:lol:

You've got that flipped around. You're thinking tactically, not strategically. Ideological purity within the Republican Party is meaningless if they lose control.

There is a large portion of the Republican voting base that feels the same was as Flake and Corker. Those people aren't going to vote for Ward in Arizona, they're going to stay home.

That's the biggest issue with the way you guys regard Trump. You mistake a perfect storm for a tidal change.

Trump won AZ over Hillary. Sure, Dems can get a DINO elected...but then they are in the same boat with some bozo working against them.

Republicans may lose AZ, but if the return is. Passing the Trump Agenda, it is a well placed sacrifice. Lose AZ, pick up MO...think McCaskill has a chance? It would take an Akin...but I'm hopeful that won't happen again. And it's a wash...Republicans keep control. Dems are in a Senate hole in 2018...one pick up for them will be inconsequential.

Remember back when Missouri was a purple state?

www.stltoday.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/what-the-hell

Trump did beat Clinton in AZ - but by significantly less of a margin than Romney or McCain beat Obama there.

Clinton got around 100,000 more votes in 2016 than Obama did in 2012. On the other hand, Trump got about 20,000 more votes in 2016 than Romney did in 2012.

How does one less Republican help pass the "Trump Agenda"?

We are seeing in the Republican party the same thing we saw with the Jacobins, except in the opposite direction.

With each passing month, the Jacobins became more and more extreme as less extreme members left the club, until the Jacobins finally arrived at the inevitable Reign of Terror.

Senator Flake is being strongly challenged by a more rabid Republican, Kelli Ward. Ward would probably have defeated Flake in the Republican primary. So Flake is leaving to save face, and the remaining Jacobins are sharpening the guillotine blade.

You can hear some of them slurping blood right here in this topic.

So browbeating is not in fashion for elected officials?

Dunno, but apparently Flake thinks there is too much petty infighting in Congress and they don't want to work together.

Guess he's tired of not being able to do his job because of all the gridlock and infighting.
He simply cannot win because Trump is not supporting him. Dr. Kelli Ward is going to take his seat.

Another career congresscritter has been Trumped.

Last edited:
I have no doubt that Flake and Corker have decided not to run for reelection because they're worried about being primaried. That's not the real issue here.

Ward will almost certainly lose the general. Flake, if he ran again, would almost certainly win.

It is the only issue here. Opposition to Trumps agenda is now the kiss of political death for incumbent Republicans...that is far mord important than whether Dems get a pick up or not in Arizona. You need to think more strategically and less tactically.
You're going to lose some skirmishes on the way to laying claim to the battlefield. I'm not conceding Arizona...in all honesty I don't follow state level politics in any state other than my own. Trump is solidifying his power over the political fortunes of these political insiders...and that is more important than individual races.

You've got that flipped around. You're thinking tactically, not strategically. Ideological purity within the Republican Party is meaningless if they lose control.

There is a large portion of the Republican voting base that feels the same was as Flake and Corker. Those people aren't going to vote for Ward in Arizona, they're going to stay home.

That's the biggest issue with the way you guys regard Trump. You mistake a perfect storm for a tidal change.

Trump won AZ over Hillary. Sure, Dems can get a DINO elected...but then they are in the same boat with some bozo working against them.

Republicans may lose AZ, but if the return is. Passing the Trump Agenda, it is a well placed sacrifice. Lose AZ, pick up MO...think McCaskill has a chance? It would take an Akin...but I'm hopeful that won't happen again. And it's a wash...Republicans keep control. Dems are in a Senate hole in 2018...one pick up for them will be inconsequential.

Trump did beat Clinton in AZ - but by significantly less of a margin than Romney or McCain beat Obama there.

Clinton got around 100,000 more votes in 2016 than Obama did in 2012. On the other hand, Trump got about 20,000 more votes in 2016 than Romney did in 2012.

I think you have to consider what the "Trump Agenda" really is ....

You'll hear some say his agenda is tax cuts, breaks for the rich, repeal Obamacare, seal the borders.

While he definitely supports those programs, his "agenda" is much different. His goal is to return control of the government to the people, get rid of the "professional politician", restore the rule of law for everybody - regardless of who was once your husband - get the government out of the way of the economy and the citizens.

He is being remarkably successful at these things. He has driven Flake out - Corker is next - McCain is all but gone, a victim of his own illness, Democrats are falling by the wayside and are in complete disarray.

In time, it will be called the Trump Revolution - the time the people took back control of their lives.

It rhymes with "draining the swamp". What he promised. Many more skunks will fall.

I am not so sure of that. However Flake's chances of winning are better than Ward's. I think Flake has been damaged by his votes to kick millions off of their insurance.

Just like Jeb! and Kasich had a chance of winning and Trump didn't?

My apologies if I don't take your word on that.

Jeff Flake knows he had no chance against Kelli Ward. He spouts off as he sinks into oblivion. We get another Trump ally Senator. Winning!!

You know, one of the main things that the GOP has been running on was that they were going to get rid of Obamacare, and they have promised that for several years now, and nothing has been done about it yet.

That is gonna piss off the base if they don't get it done by the next elections, and yeah, disgruntled GOP voters are either going to stay home, or vote for someone else.

Combine that with how Trump has managed to divide the GOP, and yeah, I kinda think that it's about time for the pendulum to swing to the other side.

When Obama was in office, you had an enemy to point to. Now that he's gone? You conservatives have started to eat your own.

Ah but with all due respect I disagree. Conservatives aren't eating conservatives. They've declared political jihad on RINO's. It's really quite that simple.

The post you responded to does not contain the word "conservative".

Republicans are eating republicans. They are making the "big tent" smaller, and excluding more and more people.

Is shrinking your base a winning election strategy?

Oh, I don't know? Has it been working? Let's see....Republicans control:

The House
The Senate
The Executive branch
Majority of State houses
31 of 50 Governors.

Yeah, it's working.

You mean it USED to work. But that was when you had Obama to scare and upset your base with.

Hate to tell you..............but Obama is no longer there to point to as a bogeyman. And, because the GOP hasn't figured out how to do anything other than blow out more and more flaming rhetoric, they don't know how to work with anybody any more, and as a result, they are now turning on themselves.

Sure...............lets see what 2018 brings.

Hate to break your fantasy, but It worked in 2016 AND It worked for every single special elections since Trump was elected.

:rofl:

Flake was for the disastrous TPP, NAFTA, open immigration, blanket amnesty--and had Hillary won, he'd be happy today.

I think you have to consider what the "Trump Agenda" really is ....

You'll hear some say his agenda is tax cuts, breaks for the rich, repeal Obamacare, seal the borders.

While he definitely supports those programs, his "agenda" is much different. His goal is to return control of the government to the people, get rid of the "professional politician", restore the rule of law for everybody - regardless of who was once your husband - get the government out of the way of the economy and the citizens.

He is being remarkably successful at these things. He has driven Flake out - Corker is next - McCain is all but gone, a victim of his own illness, Democrats are falling by the wayside and are in complete disarray.

In time, it will be called the Trump Revolution - the time the people took back control of their lives.

I know that it's helpful for you to translate "Trump's agenda" into some ethereal, ideological concept with no application in reality, but you realize how silly that is, right?

You know, one of the main things that the GOP has been running on was that they were going to get rid of Obamacare, and they have promised that for several years now, and nothing has been done about it yet.

That is gonna piss off the base if they don't get it done by the next elections, and yeah, disgruntled GOP voters are either going to stay home, or vote for someone else.

Combine that with how Trump has managed to divide the GOP, and yeah, I kinda think that it's about time for the pendulum to swing to the other side.

When Obama was in office, you had an enemy to point to. Now that he's gone? You conservatives have started to eat your own.

Ah but with all due respect I disagree. Conservatives aren't eating conservatives. They've declared political jihad on RINO's. It's really quite that simple.

The post you responded to does not contain the word "conservative".

Republicans are eating republicans. They are making the "big tent" smaller, and excluding more and more people.

Is shrinking your base a winning election strategy?

Oh, I don't know? Has it been working? Let's see....Republicans control:

The House
The Senate
The Executive branch
Majority of State houses
31 of 50 Governors.

Yeah, it's working.

You mean it USED to work. But that was when you had Obama to scare and upset your base with.

Hate to tell you..............but Obama is no longer there to point to as a bogeyman. And, because the GOP hasn't figured out how to do anything other than blow out more and more flaming rhetoric, they don't know how to work with anybody any more, and as a result, they are now turning on themselves.

Sure...............lets see what 2018 brings.

Hate to break your fantasy, but It worked in 2016 AND It worked for every single special elections since Trump was elected.

:rofl:

You're misreading those special elections, if you think they give you a reason for optimism.

Yes! Yes! Yes! Screw you RINO.

"The announcement caught Washington by surprise, even though Flake's repeated criticisms of Trump had thrown serious doubt on whether he could survive a primary challenge against former state Sen. Kelli Ward.

"There may not be a place for a Republican like me in the current Republican climate or the current Republican Party," Flake told the paper.

AND.....

Former White House chief strategist Stephen Bannon has been gathering Trump loyalists and conservative grass roots forces in an effort to back primary challengers to senators, including Flake, who had been perceived as disloyal to Trump.

Flake drops out of Senate race
Flake is a grade-A-#1 asshole.

I'll pose the opposite question...what good is one more Republican if that Republican is going to work against you?

Cut your losses if you must, and focus your attention on Missouri, West Virginia and Montana.

I'll pose the opposite question...what good is one more Republican if that Republican is going to work against you?

Cut your losses if you must, and focus your attention on Missouri, West Virginia and Montana.

Who is this "you" you're speaking of?

Do you believe that the President is owed the support of his party, no matter what?

Flake has voted with the Republican majority on essentially every vote he's ever made in the Senate - and he's voted with Trump 90% of the time since 2016.

But you're willing to trade him for a Democrat, just because he said mean things about Trump?

Forum List

Back