But Could He Get Elected?

Go ahead and make the case that deliberately posting the wrong term is something productive, if you can.

Seems to me the more intelligent thing to do is simply say what you mean in the first place, which guarantees it's free from misinterpretation. I can't come up with a reason one would deliberately invite misinterpretation.

Sometimes I even mispronounce words in spoken communication because it's easier than being that guy.

You know, you.

"When the known facts change, I change my mind. What do you do, sir?"

That's why I ask if you're from New Orleans. To find out there's a flaw in what you're doing, and then go right on doing it anyway, well let's just say that takes me back.

"The greatest of rulers is but a shadowy presence;
Next is the ruler who is loved and praised;
Next is the one who is feared;
Next is the one who is reviled.
(the greatest rulers) are cautious and honor words.
When their task is done and work complete,
Their people all say, "This is just how we are.""

-daodejing

Words of wisdom indeed, but in today's political climate, could an ideal ruler get elected? Is it what people want, or do we get the politicians we deserve?
As long as the uses the electoral college all of what you said is not important. The US needs to revisit its constitution qnd update it to suit the 21st century.

The Electoral College is essential to maintaining our republic.

-daodejing

Words of wisdom indeed, but in today's political climate, could an ideal ruler get elected? Is it what people want, or do we get the politicians we deserve?
The people would have to be ideal themselves to have the appetite for such a "ruler" (ruler having obtained an inherently negative nuance in English).

"Ideal"? Why ideal?

-daodejing

We probably get the politicians we deserve. The antidote is not to hope for good ones. It's to reduce the role of high-profile personalities in general, and set up the system in such a way so as to avoid attracting the real bad ones, and to limit the damage these can do in case they get through the filters.

-daodejing

We probably get the politicians we deserve. The antidote is not to hope for good ones. It's to reduce the role of high-profile personalities in general, and set up the system in such a way so as to avoid attracting the real bad ones, and to limit the damage these can do in case they get through the filters.

You mean the 22nd Amendment?

No. I mean for the most part a parliamentary system, de-emphasized "rulers" with very little say outside specific, easily revocable powers, strong safeguards for the rule of law, mandated Executive transparency.

No. I mean for the most part a parliamentary system, de-emphasized "rulers" with very little say outside specific, easily revocable powers, strong safeguards for the rule of law, mandated Executive transparency.

Parliamentary systems are even less democratic than ours. You want to be a serf like the Europeans?

Parliamentary systems are even less democratic than ours. You want to be a serf like the Europeans?

Yeah, I hear that rightared pablum time and again. Kinda sad to see you apparently bought it. Be that as it may, demonstrating "less democratic" would be a tall order.

But then, you appeared to be worried about the next "ruler", and I tried to point at a possible way out of the conundrum. Screeching "serf" is just more rightarded pablum - certainly not an argument. That is so not least because in terms of democratic governance there are not uniform "Europeans", but quite a diversity of systems, from the constitutional monarchy (UK) to the more presidential (France) to grass-roots democracy (Switzerland), and a whole lot between. But you knew that, didn't you?

Seems I've touched an undemocratic nerve in the 'subject.' Perhaps it's uncomfortable to have it revealed that parliamentary systems create obligations between coalition parties rather than to the voters themselves, hence distancing government even further from the 'ruled.'

Seems I've touched an undemocratic nerve in the 'subject.' Perhaps it's uncomfortable to have it revealed that parliamentary systems create obligations between coalition parties rather than to the voters themselves, hence distancing government even further from the 'ruled.'

Ah, more rightarded pablum. You have no idea whereof you speak, right? That starts with the meaning of "democratic", and it doesn't stop with complete ignorance of everything Europe.

-daodejing

Of course we get what we deserve.

Never forget please, it is NOT Trump's responsibility for being a pathetic POTUS. It is the people who voted for him.

They are the ones whom are responsible.

If the passengers get a dog to fly a plane - whose fault is it when the dog inevitably crashes it?

perhaps those who are best suited to power are those who have never sought it

Albus Dumbledor

Perhaps, but how does such a one get elected? It seems like that would only work with a benevolent monarch born to the role, which would essentially be a simple stroke of luck for the people. Gambling like that is stupid, so we have to do better as engaged citizens of a Republic.
dunno about that: seems someone raised to be the Monarch and exercise Power on behalf of the Realm isn't a real bad option. Constitutional Monarchies seem to work here for the most part.

Greg

Ah, more rightarded pablum. You have no idea whereof you speak, right? .....

Wrong. Sorry serf, but I know exactly what I’m talking about. I don’t blame you for being so uncomfortable with your undemocratic form of government.

perhaps those who are best suited to power are those who have never sought it

Albus Dumbledor

Perhaps, but how does such a one get elected? It seems like that would only work with a benevolent monarch born to the role, which would essentially be a simple stroke of luck for the people. Gambling like that is stupid, so we have to do better as engaged citizens of a Republic.
dunno about that: seems someone raised to be the Monarch and exercise Power on behalf of the Realm isn't a real bad option. Constitutional Monarchies seem to work here for the most part.

Greg

Would never fly here.

A. I. assisted representative meritocracy; no 'ruler', just sound advice and prudent legislation..

-daodejing

As long as the uses the electoral college all of what you said is not important. The US needs to revisit its constitution qnd update it to suit the 21st century.

Is outdated and not democratic. The result we have a clown in office voted by a crazy minority. .

-daodejing

Ummmm..... slavery has been deleted. Maybe news travels slow to the hinterlands. Also we have what we call electronic communication now, which normally disseminates news like that slavery thing more efficiently than it seems to have done for you.

In other words the bases for having an EC in the first place have gone buh-bye, and they did so some time ago.

Of course, that aforementioned electronic communication comes with its own set of counterproductive issues but that's a whole 'nother question. Which is why I already covered it.

Forum List

Back