California AG: Employers who Cooperate With Federal Immigration Raids Will be Prosecuted

The attorney general, MEXICAN, Xavier Bercerra, wants to expand the law past businesses to every citizen that cooperates with federal agents.

California is pushing the envelope to see how far it can go in open rebellion before federal authorities come in and take over.

Ummmmm........or they are setting up for secession. The California Mexicans WANT secession, we know that. I doubt California wants to provoke a federal takeover, because Utah actually went through that, when the feds finally got tired of Brigham Young declaring independence and lots of wild polygamy (Young himself tied up some 70 women!) and marched on Salt Lake City in 1890 and put a stop to all that.

More likely they want secession, as with the seven states that seceded between Lincoln's election and his inauguration. That didn't work out well either, but California is known to be interested in secession.

Remember, kiddos, when a nation breaks up or federals march to recover, it all happens FAST. Within half a week, usually, it's settled one way or another. So watch. Good thread --- I agree, this is something to watch.

The attorney general, MEXICAN, Xavier Bercerra, wants to expand the law past businesses to every citizen that cooperates with federal agents.

California is pushing the envelope to see how far it can go in open rebellion before federal authorities come in and take over.
He's gambling that the Justice Dept will only give hem a reprimand (if even that much). Pretty big stakes though for gambling. When the stakes are that high (15 year federal PRISON time) gambling is a bad idea. I hope it blows up in his face.

Ummmmm........or they are setting up for secession. The California Mexicans WANT secession, we know that. I doubt California wants to provoke a federal takeover, because Utah actually went through that, when the feds finally got tired of Brigham Young declaring independence and lots of wild polygamy (Young himself tied up some 70 women!) and marched on Salt Lake City in 1890 and put a stop to all that.

More likely they want secession, as with the seven states that seceded between Lincoln's election and his inauguration. That didn't work out well either, but California is known to be interested in secession.

Remember, kiddos, when a nation breaks up or federals march to recover, it all happens FAST. Within half a week, usually, it's settled one way or another. So watch. Good thread --- I agree, this is something to watch.
Anybody have any ideas on how we could HELP THEM to secede ? If so, let's hear it. :biggrin:

Law is a quite interesting thing. It has clear black & white areas, but often, it has many shades of gray too, which get cleared up in court cases. For those of us who have fought cases in the courtroom, we know well how unclear laws can be, and how subjective they can be in the minds of cops, prosecutors, defense attorneys and judges.

California's attorney General Xavier Beccera has decided to push the limits regarding immigration law, and how business may deal with illegal aliens and federal officials looking to arrest them. Under a new California law – the Immigration Worker Protection Act – employers and businesses could face fines of up to $10,000 if they provide employee information to U.S. Immigration Customs, Becerra said.

If employers “start giving up information about their employees or access to their employees in ways that contradict our new California laws, they subject themselves to actions by my office. We will prosecute those who violate the law,” he said at a news conference

Problem here could be a big one for the AG, as well as the governor, and all those legislators who made this law. They could all be in violation of federal law >> US Code 8, Section 1324, and could be arrested for harboring illegal aliens. The jist would be if what they have done meets the definition of "harboring". How one defines it probably depends on how favorable or unfavorable they look upon illegal immigration, generally.

Title 8, U.S.C. § 1324(a) defines several distinct offenses related to aliens. Subsection 1324(a)(1)(i)-(v) prohibits alien smuggling, domestic transportation of unauthorized aliens, concealing or harboring unauthorized aliens, encouraging or inducing unauthorized aliens to enter the United States, and engaging in a conspiracy or aiding and abetting any of the preceding acts.

In any case, this would be another one of those gray areas of jurisprudence, which can become better focused and standardized after court actions. But the question of the OP is whether Becerra and his colleagues who do appear to be harboring illegal aliens are in violation of US Code 8 Section 1324, or not.

1907. Title 8, U.S.C. 1324(a) Offenses | USAM | Department of Justice

Here is the federal law's definition of "Harboring" >>

Harboring -- Subsection 1324(a)(1)(A)(iii) makes it an offense for any person who -- knowing or in reckless disregard of the fact that an alien has come to, entered, or remains in the United States in violation of law, conceals harbors, or shields from detection, or attempts to conceal, harbor, or shield from detection, such alien in any place, including any building or any means of transportation.

Since this California law could also easily be seen as encouraging people to come to the US illegally, the US Code 8, Section 1324 definition of "Encouraging" could also come into play >>

Encouraging/Inducing -- Subsection 1324(a)(1)(A)(iv) makes it an offense for any person who -- encourages or induces an alien to come to, enter, or reside in the United States, knowing or in reckless disregard of the fact that such coming to, entry, or residence is or will be in violation of law.

you loons are mentally ill. seriously.

When you went to B. Hussein Obama Law School, did you study McCollugh v Maryland?

Ironically, I heard the head of ICE last night say that if any of the local police in California are in trouble and need assistance he has directed ICE agents to assist in any way they can. He didn't with a personal opinion about the AG of California.

Not only is he ordering the California police to defy the federal government with his stance, he is telling these officers to betray their oath. Some people take oaths, Rule of Law, life, liberty and the American Way quite seriously. He's not out there in a uniform risking his behind, these men are on a daily basis. They should make their own decisions about how important upholding the law is.
Goodluck lot of the police are son' and daughters of immigrants.

If you guys hate California so much why worry about us so much. We like it the way it's, why don't you just worry about yourselves ? Cause we are the 6th biggest economy, because everything innovative and great comes from here....not from a red state. All you guys export is hatred.

Law is a quite interesting thing. It has clear black & white areas, but often, it has many shades of gray too, which get cleared up in court cases. For those of us who have fought cases in the courtroom, we know well how unclear laws can be, and how subjective they can be in the minds of cops, prosecutors, defense attorneys and judges.

California's attorney General Xavier Beccera has decided to push the limits regarding immigration law, and how business may deal with illegal aliens and federal officials looking to arrest them. Under a new California law – the Immigration Worker Protection Act – employers and businesses could face fines of up to $10,000 if they provide employee information to U.S. Immigration Customs, Becerra said.

If employers “start giving up information about their employees or access to their employees in ways that contradict our new California laws, they subject themselves to actions by my office. We will prosecute those who violate the law,” he said at a news conference

Problem here could be a big one for the AG, as well as the governor, and all those legislators who made this law. They could all be in violation of federal law >> US Code 8, Section 1324, and could be arrested for harboring illegal aliens. The jist would be if what they have done meets the definition of "harboring". How one defines it probably depends on how favorable or unfavorable they look upon illegal immigration, generally.

Title 8, U.S.C. § 1324(a) defines several distinct offenses related to aliens. Subsection 1324(a)(1)(i)-(v) prohibits alien smuggling, domestic transportation of unauthorized aliens, concealing or harboring unauthorized aliens, encouraging or inducing unauthorized aliens to enter the United States, and engaging in a conspiracy or aiding and abetting any of the preceding acts.

In any case, this would be another one of those gray areas of jurisprudence, which can become better focused and standardized after court actions. But the question of the OP is whether Becerra and his colleagues who do appear to be harboring illegal aliens are in violation of US Code 8 Section 1324, or not.

Harboring -- Subsection 1324(a)(1)(A)(iii) makes it an offense for any person who -- knowing or in reckless disregard of the fact that an alien has come to, entered, or remains in the United States in violation of law, conceals harbors, or shields from detection, or attempts to conceal, harbor, or shield from detection, such alien in any place, including any building or any means of transportation.

Since this California law could also easily be seen as encouraging people to come to the US illegally, the US Code 8, Section 1324 definition of "Encouraging" could also come into play >>

Encouraging/Inducing -- Subsection 1324(a)(1)(A)(iv) makes it an offense for any person who -- encourages or induces an alien to come to, enter, or reside in the United States, knowing or in reckless disregard of the fact that such coming to, entry, or residence is or will be in violation of law.

When you went to B. Hussein Obama Law School, did you study McCollugh v Maryland?

you mean, PRESIDENT BARACK OBAMA's HARVARD LAW SCHOOL where he was president of the law review where he had to be top 10% of his class to be eligible for that position?

that one?

dumbass.

Ironically, I heard the head of ICE last night say that if any of the local police in California are in trouble and need assistance he has directed ICE agents to assist in any way they can. He didn't with a personal opinion about the AG of California.

Not only is he ordering the California police to defy the federal government with his stance, he is telling these officers to betray their oath. Some people take oaths, Rule of Law, life, liberty and the American Way quite seriously. He's not out there in a uniform risking his behind, these men are on a daily basis. They should make their own decisions about how important upholding the law is.

If you guys hate California so much why worry about us so much. We like it the way it's, why don't you just worry about yourselves ? Cause we are the 6th biggest economy, because everything innovative and great comes from here....not from a red state. All you guys export is hatred.

they hate California which is the sixth largest economy in the world. the idiot dead beats don't even understand what that means.

you mean, PRESIDENT BARACK OBAMA's HARVARD LAW SCHOOL where he was president of the law review where he had to be top 10% of his class to be eligible for that position?

that one?

dumbass.

Can you point to a single article written by Obama? Also, he was voted in, his grades were a non-issue. It's hard to imagine someone not knowing judicial review finishing in the top 10% of any law school

He's gambling that the Justice Dept will only give hem a reprimand (if even that much). Pretty big stakes though for gambling. When the stakes are that high (15 year federal PRISON time) gambling is a bad idea. I hope it blows up in his face.
CA is getting way out of control. Something needs to be done by the fed to send a message. Imagine if another state refused to follow Obergefell's extremely shaky "legality"? CAs would throw a shit fit and demand heads roll. What's good for the goose is good for the gander. They don't get to pick and choose how to use and manipulate the potency of federal enforcement.

I wonder why so much hostility towards my state of California. It's not like we're bombing and invading the other forty nine states. There's a lot to like about California. It's so huge and diverse, we have just about everything you could find in other states and it could actually be a country. Myself, I could live most anywhere and would make the best of it. And remember, home is where the heart is.

I wonder why so much hostility towards my state of California. It's not like we're bombing and invading the other forty nine states. There's a lot to like about California. It's so huge and diverse, we have just about everything you could find in other states and it could actually be a country. Myself, I could live most anywhere and would make the best of it. And remember, home is where the heart is.

Do you want to secede?

It's because your goofball state is importing illegal aliens at record rates stacking the state with them, giving them statewide sanctuary (in violation of federal law), and trying to topple US elections, by abolishing the electoral college.

they hate California which is the sixth largest economy in the world. the idiot dead beats don't even understand what that means.
Hopefully it will be not part of the US in the near future Secede California! Secede!

I left California in 1989. No amount of money could pay me to live in that disaster area, illegal alien infested disgrace.

So how can a state punish you for assisting with compliance with federal laws?

It's because your goofball state is importing illegal aliens at record rates stacking the state with them, giving them statewide sanctuary (in violation of federal law), and trying to topple US elections, by abolishing the electoral college.
Electoral college? Even your orange king criticized. Is outdated , it leads to a minority that governs.

This is truly insane.

There is simply no way in hell that this will pass constitutional muster. Immigration is a power SPECIFICALLY reserved to the feds - the ball is squarely in the feds court. It makes no sense whatsoever to allow the states to make cooperating with federal authorities on powers granted to them through the constitution illegal. Hell, forget passing constitutional muster, the law does not even pass basic logic.

Look at the fascists pile on, all trying to out-fascist each other. Anyone opposing TheParty must be arrested and prosecuted!

States' rights? Those were forgotten when Trump took office. The Trumpflakes aren't even pretending not to be hypocrites.

California will likely win this, just as they almost always do. That's what happens when the law, morality and public opinion are on your side. It's generally something only liberals experience, so conservatives won't be familiar with it.
Bull. CA is on the wrong side of this.

The one case where the supremacy clause actually has a legitimate place in the debate here and almost no one is bringing it up.

Forum List

Back