Call to move the Winter Olympics

More and more people and organizations are calling upon the IOC to move the 2014 Winter Olympics out of Russia due to Russia's new laws on Homosexuality.

George Takei petitions: ?Move the 2014 Winter Olympics out of Russia? ? MSNBC

Stephen Fry: Move Olympics from anti-gay Russia | News.com.au

What do you think, considering that there are most likely gay athletes and spectators and Russia has threatened to arrest, detain, then deport anyone who even appears to support gays in any way.

If the Olympics had never been held in China, where they force abortions on their citizens, then I might have gotten behind moving them from Russia because of the gays. As it stands, no way. China is much worse on their citizens and visitors and the Olympics ignored that. Why shouldn't they ignore this? Is being gay more important than having a 2nd child? Is it more important than having that child killed at 8 months because the government doesn't want you to have it? Is it more important than the prisoners being killed in order to harvest and sell their organs? Sorry, the Olympics lost any of the respect they had from me when they held their games in China. I don't give a crap about them anymore.

In 1936, we had to "hide" our Jewish athletes so not to offend the Nazi hosts

Seems the same in Russia. Gays can go, but just don't advertise your presence

we have no problem abiding by the stringent laws in the middle east and even china when doing business there. why should this be any different?

While we do business in the ME...would you support an Olympics there where the host nation suddenly (after getting the bid) said women couldn't compete or else have to compete in hajibs and all guest women mustn't be allowed to drive, must be covered, must be accompanied by male family members at all times, etc.?

good point

we have no problem abiding by the stringent laws in the middle east and even china when doing business there. why should this be any different?

Its the Olympics

so we don't field a men's figureskating team this time. whats the big deal?

Why don't ya' just have your own Gay Olympics?

We do...the Gay Games. But don't you think there are Olympians who are gay and spectators who are gay? Should they not participate? Should they go and be arrested? Should they hide in the closet...again?

They should go and obey the laws of the host nation.

Even if this was going on in the ME and women were suppressed....? Even then? Or they searched people for bibles and arrested them for that or wearing any crosses or anything of other religions besides Islam?

Is it gays that are bizarre or is it an American thing.

When an American visits another country, they are GUESTS in that house. They obey the rules of the house. They do not shit on the dining room table because that's what they do in their own home. The entire concept of decent, civilized, behavior seems to be slipping away. As Visitors to another country we OWE the courtesy of obeying their laws whether we agree with them or not.

Last edited:

While we do business in the ME...would you support an Olympics there where the host nation suddenly (after getting the bid) said women couldn't compete or else have to compete in hajibs and all guest women mustn't be allowed to drive, must be covered, must be accompanied by male family members at all times, etc.?

i'll have to admit, if it was the summer olmpics and they were trying to cover up the womens beach volley ball teams i'd be pissed. but this is the winter olympics, snow, ice cold. how much more covering are we really talking here.

I think russia has the right to enforce whatever laws they have. but i also think any country also has the right to say, sorry we'll pass this time. let russia spend a ton of money on the preparation and get no turn out.

While I support anyone's right to protest and boycott, I do not support dictating American policy or a belief system to other nations. See Afghanistan, Iran, Iraq.. How's that workin out? Let's mind our own biznez and if the Gay community wants to protest, set up boycotts, it's their right.

We do...the Gay Games. But don't you think there are Olympians who are gay and spectators who are gay? Should they not participate? Should they go and be arrested? Should they hide in the closet...again?

They should go and obey the laws of the host nation.

Even if this was going on in the ME and women were suppressed....? Even then? Or they searched people for bibles and arrested them for that or wearing any crosses or anything of other religions besides Islam?

Bumping for Katzdogz's answer.

Too late to move it, not enough time to make other arrangements.

A boycott punishes no one but the atheletes and would serve no purpose.

Is it gays that are bizarre or is it an American thing.

When an American visits another country, they are GUESTS in that house. They obey the rules of the house. They do not shit on the dining room table because that's what they do in their own home. The entire concept of decent, civilized, behavior seems to be slipping away. As Visitors to another country we OWE the courtesy of obeying their laws whether we agree with them or not.

Entitled spoiled rotten fuckin babies.

At least when they're out in public they could have some manners. Especially in representing America.

It's embarrassing.

Forum List

Back