Can government check ID to buy a gun and vote?

Is checking your ID to get a Constitutional right a violuation of your Constitutional Rights?

• No: It's fine to check your ID, including to buy a gun and to vote

• No: It's fine to check ID to buy a gun but it's not OK to check an ID to vote

• Yes: It's not OK to check an ID to buy a gun, but voting isn't a Constitutional right so ID is OK

• Yes: It's not OK to check an ID to buy a gun or to vote

Results are only viewable after voting.
It is constitutional to require ID to buy a gun and to vote.

The former is effective, the latter isn't. Why do right wingers insist on wasting taxpayer money and inconveniencing people who are exercising their rights on something completely ineffective?

It's a mystery.

The left argue you can't check ID for voting because it's a Constitutional right, which it actually isn't, but you can to buy guns even though it actually is a Constitutional right

On the right, I see more arguments against registration and licensing than checking ID. I'm curious on that point. Is the right against checking ID? I don't mean waiting periods, just checking your ID to buy a gun.

As for me, I'm a libertarian with the goal of minimizing government to maximize liberty. Minimizing doesn't mean no government, it means government does those things only government can do, like roads, police, ... Here's a thread with more details.

What is a small government libertarian? | US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

On buying guns, I am against licensing, registration, waiting periods and limits on gun ownership. However, for checking ID, I want them to do that. If they are a convicted felon, it won't stop them from getting a gun, but the police should know they are trying to buy one, and they should be arrested. I also don't want minors to be able to buy guns just like they shouldn't be able to buy booze or cigarettes. ID is the way to validate that.

So, what's your thought?
When I vote, I must sign a registry book. There my signature can be examined, and also if someone has attempted to sign in as me...

If someone voted as me, that would all blow up the minute I showed up to vote.

This is what has never occurred to the Voter ID retards, and is why that type of voter fraud almost never happens.

The types of fraud which do occur cannot be stopped by Voter ID. Every time a Voter ID retard shouts about someone who voted fraudulently with an absentee ballot as evidence we need Voter ID, I laugh my fucking ass off at just how retarded they are.

If someone voted as me, that would all blow up the minute I showed up to vote.

This is what has never occurred to the Voter ID retards.

If you vote for dead people and people you know aren't going to vote, then it doesn't turn up when they show up at the polls ... because they don't ... This is what has never occurred to the anti Voter ID retards.

Actually, it has, that's why you fight an obvious solution, like checking ID

It is constitutional to require ID to buy a gun and to vote.

The former is effective, the latter isn't. Why do right wingers insist on wasting taxpayer money and inconveniencing people who are exercising their rights on something completely ineffective?

It's a mystery.

I don't know, you need to ask a right winger why they think that

"Can government check ID to buy a gun and vote?"

This fails as a false comparison fallacy.

Although inalienable, the rights to possess a firearm and to vote are not absolute, and subject to reasonable restrictions by government. (See e.g. DC v. Heller)

Current Second Amendment jurisprudence holds that background checks are Constitutional as a reasonable regulatory measure.

This is not the case with regard to requiring citizens to show ID to vote when they are already registered to vote, are listed on registration rolls as being eligible to vote, and have already provided the required ID when initially registering to vote.

The issue therefore concerns what regulatory measures are Constitutional with regard to possession of firearms and voting, and what regulatory measures are not.

Consequently, there's nothing 'inconsistent' with requiring background checks and providing an ID to purchase a firearm while not requiring a citizen lawfully registered to vote to cast a ballot absent providing an ID.
So when I buy my NEXT gun I shouldn't need to show ID, since I already showed it before

Voting is not a constitutional right?

Ha, first good laugh of the day.

Voter requirements are up to the States, but regulated by several amendments to the constitution that limit who they can restrict.

So are gun ownership requirements.

Actually only if rights are not being infringed, as the amendment has been incorporated to the States as well. 14th amendment and all.

Yes, the 14th doesn't give people a right to vote, it only says voting can not be restricted for certain reasons. Nowhere does the Constitution say it's a right to vote. I have NYCrybaby on ignore, I didn't see his point

The left argue you can't check ID for voting because it's a Constitutional right, which it actually isn't, but you can to buy guns even though it actually is a Constitutional right

Yes, I've pointed out their double standard on this issue many times, but that's the Democratic Party for you.

Voting is not a constitutional right?

Ha, first good laugh of the day.

Voter requirements are up to the States, but regulated by several amendments to the constitution that limit who they can restrict.

So are gun ownership requirements.

Really? Where, in Constitution 2.0?
The COTUS doesn't give citizens the right to vote?

No, it doesn't. Try to find the text that says it does, good luck with that.

There are restrictions on why you don't allow someone to vote. For example, you can't say it's for their race and you can't charge a poll tax. Nowhere does it say you have a right to vote

"Can government check ID to buy a gun and vote?"

This fails as a false comparison fallacy.

Although inalienable, the rights to possess a firearm and to vote are not absolute, and subject to reasonable restrictions by government. (See e.g. DC v. Heller)

Current Second Amendment jurisprudence holds that background checks are Constitutional as a reasonable regulatory measure.

This is not the case with regard to requiring citizens to show ID to vote when they are already registered to vote, are listed on registration rolls as being eligible to vote, and have already provided the required ID when initially registering to vote.

The issue therefore concerns what regulatory measures are Constitutional with regard to possession of firearms and voting, and what regulatory measures are not.

Consequently, there's nothing 'inconsistent' with requiring background checks and providing an ID to purchase a firearm while not requiring a citizen lawfully registered to vote to cast a ballot absent providing an ID.
So when I buy my NEXT gun I shouldn't need to show ID, since I already showed it before
Now that's some genuine TardLogic™ right there!

There are restrictions on why you don't allow someone to vote.

Nope. There are protections of the right to vote. Not restrictions.

And the fifteenth amendment specifically mentions the right to vote.

" The right of citizens of the United States to vote..."

Doesn't get more clear than that.

Second Amendment: "...the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Fifteenth amendment: "The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged..."

On the right, I see more arguments against registration and licensing than checking ID. I'm curious on that point. Is the right against checking ID? I don't mean waiting periods, just checking your ID to buy a gun.

As for me, I'm a libertarian with the goal of minimizing government to maximize liberty. Minimizing doesn't mean no government, it means government does those things only government can do, like roads, police, ... Here's a thread with more details.

What is a small government libertarian? | US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

On buying guns, I am against licensing, registration, waiting periods and limits on gun ownership. However, for checking ID, I want them to do that. If they are a convicted felon, it won't stop them from getting a gun, but the police should know they are trying to buy one, and they should be arrested. I also don't want minors to be able to buy guns just like they shouldn't be able to buy booze or cigarettes. ID is the way to validate that.

So, what's your thought?

I think you should have to pass an FBI background check to vote.

Democrats would be fucked.

There are restrictions on why you don't allow someone to vote.

Nope. There are protections of the right to vote. Not restrictions.

And the fifteenth amendment specifically mentions the right to vote.

" The right of citizens of the United States to vote..."

Doesn't get more clear than that.

You made up that quote, it's not in the 15th amendment

So, what's your thought?

I think you should have to pass an FBI background check to vote.

Democrats would be fucked.

I don't know, the FBI seems to look at a Democrat holding a smoking gun over a dead body and say they can't figure out who did it

Second Amendment: "...the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Fifteenth amendment: "The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged..."

you missed the rest of it, it's a critical difference. Are you being dishonest or are you actually functionally illiterate?

The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any state ... on account of race, color, or previous condition of servitude.

It says States cannot restrict voting FOR THOSE REASONS

Forum List

Back