Can we talk about what Obama actually DID?

Politically it is a clever move. POTUS has boxed the GOP into a corner they should have seen this coming and have known threatening the pres would not work. Basically, you got beat at your own game in a masterful move.

Check- your move GOP. Better think long and hard about your next move. Dummies.

Pass a bill or update the current one and enforce it. POTUS will veto whatever you pass for round 1. Obviously you need to be told this since you missed the last political trick pulled on you. Amateurs.
Obama signaled very clearly last night he can live with the immigration bill passed by the Senate.

The ball is in the House's court.

Yet the far left wants more laws created instead of them wanting to enforce what is already on the books..

Politically it is a clever move. POTUS has boxed the GOP into a corner they should have seen this coming and have known threatening the pres would not work. Basically, you got beat at your own game in a masterful move.

Pass a bill or update the current one and enforce it. POTUS will veto whatever you pass for round 1. Obviously you need to be told this since you missed the last political trick pulled on you. Amateurs.
Actually, no.

Now the GOP, when they control both houses, can send to Obama, targeted immigration laws. They will do so in the hundreds and Obama has painted himself so partisan, he'll be forced to veto them.

That means, the voters will now see Obama for what he really is. An obstructionist. A petty person who will not allow any progress in serious issues to go forward.

You see, Obama can have his opinion, and he can use his veto pen, but what he cannot do is claim he is right on every issue.

Because he is not.
If the House passes a bill taking way "temporary amnesty," and Obama vetoes it do you really think that advantages the gop in 2016?

Boy, I'm really failing to get this conversation going on other threads, so I'll try to start one.

From what I've seen the main takeaway from this act is that most illegals will not be deported if they have not been here long enough; they have to pass criminal and security background checks, they have to pay taxes and prove their eligibility to stay.

Seems like much ado about not that much to me.

I also heard him challenge the GOP Congress to pass a bill that will override this act. So, as I asked on another thread -- don't we all agree that our immigration system is fucked up? Don't we want to fix something that is important and fucked up?

And why, precisely, wouldn't the GOP jump at this opportunity to pass a bill and put it on Obama's desk?

What am I missing?

You are correct. The GOP can do away with Obama's executive order quickly just by passing the immigration bill. They can change the flow of support that they are daily losing just by addressing the bill in the House. Will they do it and again show America they can think of country over party? Probably not....

And yet the far left wants more laws created when they do not want to enforce the ones already on the books..

The Republican Congress will pass amnesty legislation. That is the overwhelming will of the American people.

Some people are having a really hard time accepting that reality. They are ranting and raving from inside a delusional bubble.

depends on what you mean by amnesty. amnesty from prosecution is one thing, putting them on the welfare, medicaid, and SS rolls is quite another.

Actually, no.

Now the GOP, when they control both houses, can send to Obama, targeted immigration laws. They will do so in the hundreds and Obama has painted himself so partisan, he'll be forced to veto them.

That means, the voters will now see Obama for what he really is. An obstructionist. A petty person who will not allow any progress in serious issues to go forward.

You see, Obama can have his opinion, and he can use his veto pen, but what he cannot do is claim he is right on every issue.

Because he is not.
If the House passes a bill taking way "temporary amnesty," and Obama vetoes it do you really think that advantages the gop in 2016?
I think that every bill that is reasonable and passes both House and Senate that Obama vetoes makes Obama look like the obstructionist he is.

For the past four years, Harry Reid has held Congress to a Standstill. Getting almost zero done.

Come a Congress that will be moving legislation and the peoples will, and it will not go well for the President.

The best thing the Republicans can do is actually do their job.

Rewrite the tax code.
Balance a budget.

Do away with baseline budgeting.
Pass improvements to existing immigration law.
Remove impediments to business growth and thereby promote job creation.
Reign in the overreach of the EPA, HHS, NSA, and the IRS.

Just to start.

We shall see.

He temporarily out foxed them. It was a masterful political move like it or not.

Now the GOP will have to respond in a legislative manner that is moderate or it will go down in flames. They have allowed him to set the the tone.

Acting or re acting

GOP better not let the loons set he tone. What will they do sue the POTUS for doing something they wouldn't do? Yeah, that's gonna go well. Just do your damn jobs. Dummies.

Very clever President Obama. Not a big fan but I give you credit for a masterful move.

Also, it is not amnesty. The will have to register...pay fines, pay for background checks, pay taxes, pay back taxes and get none of the benefits. All so they will not be deported. All so they can keep their crappy jobs and not have to dive into the bushes when ice shows up.

So, I wonder how the left will react when an uber-conservative POTUS issues an EO declaring abortion illegal? You know, since Congress refused to act.

I'm just mystified as to why the GOP doesn't want to just pass a bill. If they're so sure of their positions, why the hell won't they put them in writing?

You're over thinking this. Why hasnt the GOP jumped at the opportunity?

Simple answer is: They dont have any answers or their actions would be to jump for it.

I'm just mystified as to why the GOP doesn't want to just pass a bill. If they're so sure of their positions, why the hell won't they put them in writing?

You're over thinking this. Why hasnt the GOP jumped at the opportunity?

Simple answer is: They dont have any answers or their actions would be to jump for it.

Notice once again the far left wants them to create more laws that the far left does not want enforced.

The Republican House tried to do this earlier in 2014, for the DACA program, passing a bill that would have prevented anyone new from signing up, and preventing current beneficiaries from renewing. Democrats controlled the Senate, so it didn't come to the floor there. Once Republicans take control of the Senate in the New Year, they could pass a similar bill — but Obama would almost certainly veto it.

Rather than a standalone bill, Congress could attach riders killing Obama's immigration programs to the annual appropriations bills. If Obama vetoed the bills (or if Senate Democrats filibustered them) then we'll have another government shutdown.

Will the country be better off with the Republicans no longer passing bills, and do Republicans still have to attend Congressional sessions anymore?

Boy, I'm really failing to get this conversation going on other threads, so I'll try to start one.

From what I've seen the main takeaway from this act is that most illegals will not be deported if they have not been here long enough; they have to pass criminal and security background checks, they have to pay taxes and prove their eligibility to stay.

Seems like much ado about not that much to me.

I also heard him challenge the GOP Congress to pass a bill that will override this act. So, as I asked on another thread -- don't we all agree that our immigration system is fucked up? Don't we want to fix something that is important and fucked up?

And why, precisely, wouldn't the GOP jump at this opportunity to pass a bill and put it on Obama's desk?

What am I missing?

What Obama did is something for which he has said, on more than one occassion, he didn't have the authority to do.

The Senate passed a bipartisan bill with 68 votes...seriously, in this divided government, 68 votes in the Senate on an immigration bill that the Boehner has refused to allow the full House to vote on...because it will pass. This bill was passed by the Senate over 500 days ago.

The plan has been to never let the President to ever appear to have any victory and then complain loudly that he is not getting anything done.

Works for the faithful and stupid.

Based on a similar concept to what you say, Harry Reid had failed to let jobs bills passed by the House come up for a vote in the Senate then the President complains the Republicans aren't doing anything in the House.

It does give the GOP an opportunity at least to add or modify some of the conditions. May not go anywhere, but at least maybe a conversation can occur.

What worries me Mac, is with Obama's speech, and this last years wave of kids that came here and are likely to stay, that there is going to now more than ever be the message sent out that if you can get here, you'll likely be able to stay.

We could really be in for a tsunami from the south.

Thanks for the response, for a minute there I thought everyone had me on ignore.

they will, when the new congress convenes in january. obozo jumped the gun in a failed attempt to regain relevancy and stir up his far left base.

Cool. Looking forward to seeing it.

That's all I've been asking about, and you're the first person to give me a straight answer.

The Senate passed a bipartisan bill with 68 votes...seriously, in this divided government, 68 votes in the Senate on an immigration bill that the Boehner has refused to allow the full House to vote on...because it will pass. This bill was passed by the Senate over 500 days ago.

The plan has been to never let the President to ever appear to have any victory and then complain loudly that he is not getting anything done.

Based on a similar concept to what you say, Harry Reid had failed to let jobs bills passed by the House come up for a vote in the Senate then the President complains the Republicans aren't doing anything in the House.

Okay.

So what is the GOP actually going to do about it?

And more to the point, what is the GOP going to do about our immigration situation, if anything?

Okay.

And more to the point, what is the GOP going to do about our immigration situation, if anything?

A better question is what CAN the GOP do about it than will actually be implemented?

Solving our illegal immigration problem is easy. Build a fence, close the borders, and shoot any SOB, after one warning, that tries to sneak in. I put locks on my doors at my house which tells those uninvited not to come in. If they still choose to do so, that's what I would do to them.

Okay.

A better question is what CAN the GOP do about it than will actually be implemented?

Solving our illegal immigration problem is easy. Build a fence, close the borders, and shoot any SOB, after one warning, that tries to sneak in. I put locks on my doors at my house which tells those uninvited not to come in. If they still choose to do so, that's what I would do to them.

What about those who are already here, and their children?

Okay.

The Republican House tried to do this earlier in 2014, for the DACA program, passing a bill that would have prevented anyone new from signing up, and preventing current beneficiaries from renewing. Democrats controlled the Senate, so it didn't come to the floor there. Once Republicans take control of the Senate in the New Year, they could pass a similar bill — but Obama would almost certainly veto it.

Rather than a standalone bill, Congress could attach riders killing Obama's immigration programs to the annual appropriations bills. If Obama vetoed the bills (or if Senate Democrats filibustered them) then we'll have another government shutdown.

Forum List

Back